Author Topic: If Biblegod was shown to exist, Would you worship or Burn Forever?  (Read 14172 times)

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
Re: If Biblegod was shown to exist, Would you worship or Burn Forever?
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »
Tell that to the people who've been held in captivity for years. I mean, I read awhile back in this article who was captured by some guerillas in South America somewhere, where they had him in not so humane conditions for more than 12 years and they finally released him under some truce.

Wow. 12 years. Wow. Yea that's close enough to eternity to convince me. LOL!

Now, I'm not saying I'm these people but based on my life experience, and mentally what I know I can endure, I believe i'd go their route if I were in their shoes.

Oh Nam, please tell us what types of torture you have endured, I for one would really like to know what you have experienced to prepare you for eternal torture. All I can remember so far is something about a staple under the skin?

Nam, you fail to realize that Mr. Biblegod will find the worst thing possible and make you feel it for all time. Like, it might make you post responses to me forever on a forum in Hell telling me how great I am no matter what I post, and you won't be able to resist it. See what I mean?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2012, 06:02:11 PM »
I never said, nor implied the people who've been held in captivity in the article(s) I've read or documentaries i've seen lived happy lives. Maybe they did, I don't know but to me it'd be a facade. But that's just me.

There's only one thing that could torture me, cause me real pain but I've gone through it enough times in my life that my response is: I'm still here.

Not that I hadn't tried not to be in the past but I survived each attempt, unwillingly.

-Nam

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:04:48 PM by Nam »
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2012, 07:33:34 PM »
Quote from: Nam
That guy endured who know what sort of horrible conditions for more than 12 years and he never gave in; he never chose the easy way out[1], and survived. Now, granted that's not "eternity" but I've read about, and seen documentaries where people lived in all sorts of "hell" for many years. Now, I'm not saying I'm these people but based on my life experience, and mentally what I know I can endure, I believe i'd go their route if I were in their shoes.

That's the point, their torture ends. People may have a high breaking point and may withstand a lot. But what if they suffered torture non stop for 1,000 years? 5,000 years? 20,000 years? 1,000,000 years? 1,000,000,000,000 years? Do you think yourself that strong? Surviving torture for 12 years is a feat and I am sure their willpower was helped by hope - hope that they would be able to get away from it if they just pulled through. In hell, there is no hope and no way out, no end, nothing for you to pull through. I wouldn't want to belittle their achievement, but 12 years is nothing in comparison to what eternal torture offers. What will you be thinking after 30 trillion years of torture? What about after a googolplex years? Will you still think, "at least I have my principles, I am better off than being a sell-out like Sepp & HAL"?
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2012, 07:50:54 PM »
Yeah, tell that to the people who come back from such atrocities, and ask them if it has ended for them; especially those who are reminded of it every day.

How do you know that there's no comparison to the two? I mean, after awhile "not caring" comes into effect, no? I mean, in the sense that, for example, those who have been say slaves their entire lives. From their first breath to their last breath? Weren't, or aren't[1] those people in a type of tortuous hell?

I think so. Some of them lived to be old, 60-80 years, yet they endured such torture. To say it wasn't torture is to belittle them, I feel. Some were whipped on a regular basis. So, why is it that they can endure but I couldn't or no one else couldn't.

You, and Hal, have no idea what a single person can endure, and for how long. You're just speculating based solely on your opinion of the concept. And, to a point so are we. But the difference is: we know our minds and body, and you're basically saying we don't. We couldn't fathom such a thing because there's no real test to show evidence of any of it: and there's some truth to that but Hal, especially, seems to think that my, or anyone else's opinion or "truth" of the reality of the situation is beyond comprehension based on his opinion of it all. That's where he fails, and loses the argument.

If my mind stays in tact through the torture of Hell (hypothetically), then I would not relent. I haven't in my own life, why would I in death?

-Nam
 1. since slaves still exist somewhere in the world
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:53:13 PM by Nam »
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »
we know our minds and body, and you're basically saying we don't.

That's right - you don't when it comes to this. Not when it comes to eternal torture. You are a foolish little internet tough guy if you think otherwise. It's not wise to be so foolish in front of the entire internet.

I asked you and you didn't answer Nam. What types of torture have you endured to date? What types of preparation do you have under your belt to prepare yourself for eternal torture? Navy SEAL? Army commando? Delta force graduate? Green Beret perhaps? So far all I have is staples in the skin to go on.

So enlighten us dear - what training do you have under your belt for eternal torture?

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2012, 09:03:49 PM »
They always say "God is love". Anybody here ever been in love? What would you do to hold onto that feeling? Ever been rejected by someone you loved or were in love with? I used to imagine that the lonely desperate feeling of hopelessness was what was being described when talking about being "separated" from God.

God is not present in hell therefore love is not present in hell.

In other words, I always imaged hell as an emotional torture more than a physical one. Since we presumably shed our mortal coils when we die...what's left to torture if there is an afterlife?

If God IS love, and all that it encompasses, then all you would have in God's absence is hate...and all that it encompasses.

if given the option, I would choose to be in the presence of love. However, if being in His presence is described accurately in the bible then I am afraid that I would choose to suffer alone rather than be in thralled to that God.

ALL WILL LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

Kind of a pointless exercise really. It's quite difficult to know how you are really going to react to any given situation until you've actually experienced it. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:16:40 PM by jaybwell32 »
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2012, 09:31:26 PM »
If Harry Potter were real, would you be his friend?

Isn't this a false dilemma kind of thing? 

If one wild assed guess is proven true, there are thousands more assumptions after it, which have not been demonstrated.

If buybull god showed up and said, "Hey everybody!  I'm real!", and went on to perform some pretty convincing miracles to prove it, would the choice be "Worship OR Burn Forever"?

Would a choice even be necessary?

It could be a trick question. 

Maybe some subset of actual gods actually LIKE freethinkers and skeptics, and thinks the same of sycophants as pretty much anyone else does.

So choosing to kiss up to the deity would just piss him off.

Funny thing, when I play 'SPAG', ass kissing believers seem like disgusting scumbags.

And then all those 'True Believers' out there who've been putting words in the deity's mouth from the day they learned its name, like some sort of schizoid sock puppet?  Well there just might be a real hell, but just for them.  They're all together in one place, but whenever they speak, someone else's words come out.  Why not?  If Dante can make up hells and punishments, so can I.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »
Hal,

With your reply #106 and your definition of worship I can concede that with no other variables present you are right. But if we allow all the other variables to come in to the question/debate... I hold on to my original response.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2012, 09:39:48 PM »
@jaybwell32

That was more of my understanding of the biblical hell as well. I just don't have any references to know if it was just SPAG some christian once told me. Maybe it's a difference of the OT/NT hell? IDK I'm no biblical scholar.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »
I haven't read through all 5 pages, so if anyone's pointed this out already I'm sorry.

Love isn't a choice. Think about it. Did any of you choose to fall in love, or the person you fell in love with? Was it a conscious decision? Also, do you even think it's possible to love someone so evil and vile? Someone who smiles in your face while most of your friends and family are writhing in eternal agony and torment by his will?

Sorry, but all of us would burn in hell. You can't choose to love and worship someone against your will, and no rational, caring, intelligent person could find God anything but repulsive.

I like the idea of pretending to worship just to get into heaven, get close to God and try to kill him, but God can read your mind, remember. He knows everything. It's futile.

Thank God he doesn't exist!

"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2012, 09:43:40 PM »
They did cover that Joe... I think if you start on the page right before this one you will see it.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2012, 09:48:23 PM »
I just don't have any references to know if it was just SPAG some christian once told me. Maybe it's a difference of the OT/NT hell? IDK I'm no biblical scholar.

ditto
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline learnin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2012, 10:17:46 PM »
I repeat.  If there is a torturer who is capable of roasting  your flesh on a hot griddle forever and ever and that pain never lessens; you never get used to it; you will kiss that torturers bright red rosy ass if he commands you to do it.  Each and every last poster here will do it and so will every human being who ever lived if that human being has a conscious mind to reason with.

The discussion is not about what punishment the bible hell has in store for those who won't bow down to bible god.  The discussion is about a hell of burning fire that never ends.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »
First off the creation of hell by believers would have to be proven as a concept that God himself has established,and not just wishfull thinking of believers as punishment who fail to see their god as all powerful.

The arguement is pure fantasy,as hell is a construct invented by believers,it has little or no basis as real in the OT and Jews have no belief in hell. This hell invention is just Christians thumbing their noses at Jews and others...my God can beat up your God.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2012, 10:29:39 PM »
I repeat.  If there is a torturer who is capable of roasting  your flesh on a hot griddle forever and ever and that pain never lessens; you never get used to it; you will kiss that torturers bright red rosy ass if he commands you to do it.  Each and every last poster here will do it and so will every human being who ever lived if that human being has a conscious mind to reason with.

The discussion is not about what punishment the bible hell has in store for those who won't bow down to bible god.  The discussion is about a hell of burning fire that never ends.
And what  does the being that can create an entire universe have an interest in burning defiant humans? the concept itself is retarded,even the most ardent believer has trouble with this concept.

What exactly is the god interested in one planet in one galaxy among numerous (millions+)galaxies and many more planets. Again I say the concept of hell is RETARDED....and then there the concept that a god would even hold an interest....like an ant hill would hold your interest.......maybe for a week or two every year......but then.....no
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline learnin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2012, 10:38:02 PM »

And what  does the being that can create an entire universe have an interest in burning defiant humans? the concept itself is retarded,even the most ardent believer has trouble with this concept.

What exactly is the god interested in one planet in one galaxy among numerous (millions+)galaxies and many more planets. Again I say the concept of hell is RETARDED....and then there the concept that a god would even hold an interest....like an ant hill would hold your interest.......maybe for a week or two every year......but then.....no

Good questions.  I would say this concept of a fiery, eternal hell was concocted because  the people, concocting the damned thing, knew no human being would defy their religion if they really bought the concept.  They knew that fire caused the most excruciating pain known to man and they used it to scare people into accepting their way.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:39:59 PM by learnin »

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2012, 10:42:26 PM »
and an all loving God they claim is theirs,would he create a hell?

Offline learnin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2012, 11:15:36 PM »
and an all loving God they claim is theirs,would he create a hell?

If hell fire is to be taken literally, hell no, a loving being would not create such a place.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2012, 01:19:37 AM »
You're not playing the game right 12 Monkeys. We know there is no hell. This is hypothetical. Notice the word "if" in the title?
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2012, 03:00:28 AM »
I asked you and you didn't answer Nam. What types of torture have you endured to date? What types of preparation do you have under your belt to prepare yourself for eternal torture? Navy SEAL? Army commando? Delta force graduate? Green Beret perhaps? .....So enlighten us dear - what training do you have under your belt for eternal torture?

Like I said - none.  That was my point.  I CAN'T conceive what the pain would be like, and so therefore it is quite possible for me to say "bring it on".  Can't be that bad, right?  That's the point you didn't actually answer, just said "ha ha, you'd break" - which WAN'T my point at all.

You then said "hey, let me torture you and show you....", which AGAIN wasn't the point.  You could be right - that once I've EXPERIENCED torture, I'd do anything to stop it happening again.  But I haven't.  So its easy for me to say I could do it, because I have no frame of reference.

Navy Seals, Commandos, SAS, Special Ops......victims of torture, people who have experienced it - yes, I think they WOULD say "worship", precisely because they know what is coming.

I don't.   So I have that lack of knowledge that means I could take the choice.

It could also make you torture your loved ones in Hell if they go there. How would you like to administer torture to your children or wife or loved pet in Hell? Would you like to drill holes in your wife's brain with a hammer drill? How about making your child drink sulfuric acid? I'm sorry for the graphic language but I have to get my point across - you have no idea what you are talking about if you choose torture from a deity. Who knows how else it could make you suffer? Don't think you are smarter than this deity you are confronting here. I realize this, as you should.

Of course, if you change the rules, then that's a different story.  You've moved away from the physical pain you've been banging on about with Spec Ops training.  This is a different question completely, and if THAT were the choice I'd cave straight away.

What I'm most interested here is why you're pushing this so hard, and alienating and annoying so many people with the condescending statements that you know us better than we know ourselves.  Does Nam annoy you so much that you'll do and say anything to anyone so long as you can ultimately show him up?  It seems so, but I have no idea why.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2012, 03:28:28 AM »
Quote from: Nam
Yeah, tell that to the people who come back from such atrocities, and ask them if it has ended for them; especially those who are reminded of it every day.

But the physical torture does end and I am sure they are happy that they are free from it and I am sure they don't want to go through it ever again.

I think so. Some of them lived to be old, 60-80 years, yet they endured such torture. To say it wasn't torture is to belittle them, I feel. Some were whipped on a regular basis. So, why is it that they can endure but I couldn't or no one else couldn't.

I'm not saying it isn't. Also, 'regular basis' is not non-stop, that's another part where you cannot draw a comparison.

Also, one difference between any situation (I've already mentioned) in our finite existence and eternal torture is that there is no hope, there is no way out, there's no end, it doesn't stop, nobody can save you from it once it begins, otherwise it ceases to be eternal.

You, and Hal, have no idea what a single person can endure, and for how long.

Nor do you and that's kind of the point.

But the difference is: we know our minds and body, and you're basically saying we don't.

And you've yet to show a single example where you've been tested to know what you can endure and how you'd endure it. But even then, to say you can endure constant torture for even as little as a googolplex years and still feel it's better than being a sell out is a pretty bold claim and I don't think you've really had anything to back it up. How can you possibly know until you've come to experience such a thing? And it is impossible for us to do so. Why? Because we only live for an average of 80 years and we don't even know if any kind of hell exists, let alone acquire test data.

We couldn't fathom such a thing because there's no real test to show evidence of any of it

Again, this is the point. We'd have to make the decision without any of those tests to know how far we could take it, how far we could endure it. Yes, I'd suggest every man has his breaking point, just because there are men who have endured does not mean they have a breaking point, it just means it hasn't been reached. We have to consider what the psychological effects here, we have a basic fight or flight response system and when faced with constant threat that's our operating system. Our brain has coping systems, but that doesn't mean you're psychologically sound. You're looking at anxiety and then you're looking at depression and with those in mind there's doors open to other psychological effects. There's an eternity for them to manifest, to break you down. You may even get to that stage where you beg for forgiveness because it's a way out. In essence, taking the 'flight' response.

If knowing there is a god and we know which one and which version then pascal's wager does apply. I hate it and it does pain me to say it, but I don't think I'd take the 'torture' option just to find out I don't have the constitution I thought I had to withstand eternal torture. It's horrible thought having to kiss up to this deity, you might have seen in my posts my general dislike of bible-God and how horrific I think he is and even if given the opportunity (if he existed) I'd like to see him dead. Kissing up to that is a horrific idea. But I'd know that by giving in I'd have have plenty of time to come to terms with it. I'd already be self deluded by the time I've come to heaven. I'd probably find people I'd enjoy heaven with and find much to help me forget that I sold myself out. If the gift of heaven is eternal bliss, if that is the reward I receive then my initial conflicts of interest would pass. It even feels dirty saying it, but I feel that it is the honest thing for this hypothetical situation.

Quote from: Anfaulgir
I don't.   So I have that lack of knowledge that means I could take the choice.

You have the knowledge that those who have suffered torture would avoid it, yet you'd take the choice to dive straight in? I'm not sure that you would. You know that you're up against an all-powerful, all-knowing being who is infinite and that he wishes to give you eternal torture, because in this hypothetical situation it has been revealed to you. You may not know what its like, but when it comes to that fight-or-flight response, I am sure you know what fighting means for you, even if you lack the experience of what it may even be like or can even comprehend the extent of it. You don't have to have been hit by a bus to know that when one's coming your way that your "fight" response is not a good idea. Subconsciously you'll know this too, which is why your natural response is to 'flight', if you wish to commit suicide you may try to override your subconscious to go for a 'fight' response.

And of course, once we know there's a god and we know which god and which version, suddenly pascal's wager starts to make sense. Are you going to want to take the risk to find out if you can take it? Without knowing your own abilities and without knowing your own thresholds?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:46:19 AM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2012, 07:34:27 AM »
First off, there are several definitions of what might happen to you in Hell -

Although it does not specifically say so, the Bible might seem to indicate that there are different levels of punishment in hell. In Revelation 20:11-15, the people are judged “according to what they had done as recorded in the books” (Revelation 20:12). All the people at this judgment, though, are thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:13-15).

http://www.gotquestions.org/levels-hell.html

Here's what I said in the first page

I think that's a ridiculous claim - that you have enough knowledge of the consequences of eternal Hell to make such an arrogant claim.

We can only speculate, because we can't know what eternal torture is like, but my speculation is that it's not something that you can make a claim of being able to endure with such brazen certainty as Nam does.

I corrected Nam right off the bat about this. So saying you'd choose Hell over worshipping Biblegod doesn't mean you can choose what's going to happen to you in Hell. For this scenario you either choose Hell or worship Biblegod. Saying "I'd choose to burn forever" is just a metaphor for choosing Hell. Again you have no power over what's going to happen there. That's just the metaphor that was in the original quote.

Like I said - none.  That was my point.  I CAN'T conceive what the pain would be like, and so therefore it is quite possible for me to say "bring it on".  Can't be that bad, right?  That's the point you didn't actually answer, just said "ha ha, you'd break" - which WAN'T my point at all.

You then said "hey, let me torture you and show you....", which AGAIN wasn't the point.  You could be right - that once I've EXPERIENCED torture, I'd do anything to stop it happening again.  But I haven't.  So its easy for me to say I could do it, because I have no frame of reference.

Navy Seals, Commandos, SAS, Special Ops......victims of torture, people who have experienced it - yes, I think they WOULD say "worship", precisely because they know what is coming.

I don't.   So I have that lack of knowledge that means I could take the choice.

Give me a break Anfauglir. Please. Lack of knowledge? Have you ever burned a hole into your skull with a soldering iron? Since you have lack of knowledge of that, go ahead and do it and tell us what happens. I mean - what's holding you back Anfauglir? According to your logic you can do the experiment because you haven't experienced that type of pain before.

You and most people here can extrapolate what kind of pain you will experience. That kind of excuse is lame at best. So you are right, it's easy to say on the internets that you would choose it, because it's not reality now. But this just shows me you aren't taking the scenario seriously. It isn't real so you easily type out the words "Oh I can take it HAL - Yay I'm going to Hell and fuck Biblegod!" You've been listening to too much AC/DC.

You know you couldn't take it even if you haven't experienced it - because you KNOW what excruciating pain is and when push comes to shove you WILL NOT choose it in reality. You'll be worshipping with me, you'll do anything to get out of what you can easily imagine will happen.

Of course, if you change the rules, then that's a different story.  You've moved away from the physical pain you've been banging on about with Spec Ops training.  This is a different question completely, and if THAT were the choice I'd cave straight away.

Wait a minute you are confusing me. You said you could choose unimaginable pain because you have never experienced it before (but I know you will not do this in reality - you are smart enough to contemplate what's coming and will avoid the situation). But have you ever experienced the torture situation against your family? I doubt it, but you immediately say you would cave? That shows you can think ahead like anybody would and choose the less tortuous path. So please don't make us think you are so incapable of choosing the less painful path - it isn't believable.

What I'm most interested here is why you're pushing this so hard, and alienating and annoying so many people with the condescending statements that you know us better than we know ourselves.  Does Nam annoy you so much that you'll do and say anything to anyone so long as you can ultimately show him up?  It seems so, but I have no idea why.

I do know you better than you know yourselves (apparently) when it comes to this scenario, and it has nothing to do with Nam - he's just the one who posted it to begin with. I want to get this silly idea that people would actually choose eternal torture over worshipping Biblegod out in the open. As I and others have repeatedly said - you have the internet tough guy syndrome when it comes to this scenario. I type words out on the internets and because of that - I will choose eternal torture in reality. No you won't, because in the reality of this scenario you can't hide behind a keyboard and get out of it. In the reality of a real deity you will use the mental capabilities I know you have and try to out of Hell any god damn way you can.

Again -

If Biblegod was shown 100% to exist, i'd be happy to burn foever (sic) in Hell.

No rational person is going to choose that option. An insane person might, but none of you are insane and will not do it. I can say this with 100% certainty (for rational people) because your excuse that you have never experienced the level of pain, so you could pick it, is simply ridiculous and I think you know it.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2012, 07:53:33 AM »
I haven't read through all 5 pages, so if anyone's pointed this out already I'm sorry.

Please read it all first.

You can't choose to love and worship someone against your will, and no rational, caring, intelligent person could find God anything but repulsive.

Part of what you said is incorrect. You can certainly be forced to worship against your will with the threat of going to Hell hanging over your head. As I said, I may think Biblegod is a bloody asshat but I'll worship it to get out of Hell - damn straight I will. I do all kinds of things in life I don't want to do because it suits my situation - that's nothing to be ashamed of.

And about the love, I gave input on that already so please read it and then comment.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2012, 08:29:44 AM »
What would you do under this scenario Azdgari? I'd like to know.

In the scenario you describe?  Probably break down, if it's an option.  I'm not convinced that it would be, but I'd be trying to avoid the torture.  It's not like getting tortured would actually accomplish anything, even aside from the dilemma you put forth.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline smiller

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2012, 05:37:47 PM »
I thought I was a tough guy until I had a kidney stone.

A KIDNEY STONE.

Hi everyone.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
Well, at least if I chose to burn forever, I'd be in good company.  I'd rather not worship a god that gives out treats to those that like the idea of their people burning for an eternity just so they can have some decent days....
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +49/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2012, 06:17:49 PM »
I never get tired of pulling this quote from St. Thomas Aquinas:

“That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell.”

I will give you a dollar if you can find a Xian who will own up to this quote. 

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2012, 06:26:06 PM »
In the scenario you describe?  Probably break down, if it's an option.  I'm not convinced that it would be, but I'd be trying to avoid the torture.  It's not like getting tortured would actually accomplish anything, even aside from the dilemma you put forth.

Thank you for the response.

I thought I was a tough guy until I had a kidney stone.

A KIDNEY STONE.

Hi everyone.

Hi, and yes I've also had a kidney stone and the pain was so intense I wanted to pass out (but I couldn't). If the torture was just kidney stone pain I'd crack and worship Biblegod, and that's nothing compared to what it could do to me.

Well, at least if I chose to burn forever, I'd be in good company.  I'd rather not worship a god that gives out treats to those that like the idea of their people burning for an eternity just so they can have some decent days....

You'd "rather not" worship Biblegod? Oh, OK. I'd rather not clean my cat's litter boxes either, but I do what must be done. You are treating the scenario as a semi-aggravating choice like having to stop by the store and get a gallon of milk when you'd rather go straight to happy hour.

I've stepped up to the plate and confessed that I would worship it to avoid eternal torture and so have others. So what'll it be Jeremy? Step up to the plate and tell us your definitive answer - not what you would rather do ... or would rather not do ... what will you do in the face of REAL eternal torture facing you if Biblegod was somehow proven to exist?

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2012, 06:27:05 PM »
Revenge is for the weak.  Making up a ficticious eternal revenge that will never happen to feel good about you hating people is even weaker... especially when you think you'll enjoy watching multi-billions suffer brutal and merceless deaths while you eat your nice, warm dinner...

Answer:  I would take the fucking bastards place and ask not to be worshipped...  i.e. do what he says just long enough to overthrow the asshole that is torturing my people.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:28:46 PM by jeremy0 »
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."