Author Topic: Finding Posts  (Read 388 times)

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
Finding Posts
« on: June 01, 2012, 10:59:41 PM »
Has anybody ever been in a spot where they know of a certain post they wish to read, but can't seem to find it? I am at that point, and think there should be a thread where we can ask for help finding old and brilliant posts of the past.

The one post I'm trying to find that I can't atm is the one where one of the posters posted a picture of Jesus vs. Thor on their promises. Jesus promised to rid the world of the wicked vs. Thor promised to rid the world of ice giants. Where is that post located?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Finding Posts
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:19:40 AM »
See the "search" button on the bar above? Click on it, and place "Jesus" and "Thor" or variations into it. See how simple that is?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:28:47 AM »
See the "search" button on the bar above? Click on it, and place "Jesus" and "Thor" or variations into it. See how simple that is?

-Nam

And when the results come up to nothing? What I'm looking for is an image, not text. Images seem to be excluded in the search bar.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »
How about google images, and placing the same thing plus whywontgodhealamputees? See, for us to find this for you, these are the things we'd have to do to find the picture/topic unless someone remembers the topic themselves, or where it came from.

These are things you need to learn how to do. It takes patience but should be successful in the end. Or not.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +98/-1
  • You know
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 12:56:50 AM »
I don't know of a better way to search these sorts of things.  But I'm pretty sure this is what you were looking for:

Nah son...

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 01:44:08 AM »
And for the record the search function of the forum kinda sucked. Probably because the database is bogged down. I've noticed that to search for posts it takes a long time, and I often get kicked off before the search completes. Perhaps I am the only one with this issue, I don't know.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 01:53:04 AM »
And for the record the search function of the forum kinda sucked. Probably because the database is bogged down. I've noticed that to search for posts it takes a long time, and I often get kicked off before the search completes. Perhaps I am the only one with this issue, I don't know.

I have that issue sometimes. Why Iuse google. Just type in the website name, and what I am looking for, and seem to find it in no time.

But I think my point is valid: people need to exhaust themselves in finding what they're looking for, and not just have someone else do it for them 'cause they are lazy or incompetent.[1]

-Nam
 1. I actually do not mean to sound rude in saying the last part, there.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 06:49:21 AM »

If you know which section of the forum the post was in, and you are in that section when you start a search, the search feature typically works very quickly. However, if you go to the forum home page to conduct the search, which will return search results over the entire forum, you should go run errands for a couple of hours.

Whenever you finally get a search results list, always right-click on the links and open them in new windows/tabs. Otherwise, left-clicking on a link will cause your page to move to that link and when you click on Back, the search results you thought you would go back to quickly will have to recalculate, taking another 2 hours.

Also, as Nam said, you can use Google, but if you use the "site" qualifier you can restrict search results to a specific domain:

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 07:21:20 AM »
using the advanced search function can also help speed it up.  It allows you to restrict the search to the most likely boards and a specific member
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 08:18:39 AM »
For crying out loud.

Go to Google, enter the words "jesus thor" without the quotation marks, and do an image search.  Your results will vary a bit depending on whether you're signed in and what your search history is, but in my case, the ice giants thing is the very first image in the list, and I doubt it will be very far down the list in anyone else's case, either.

I'm sorry, but sometimes I wonder whether I'm the only person left on the planet with more than three active neurons.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 12:18:57 PM »
someone forgot to take his happy pills today.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 08:21:37 PM »
How about google images, and placing the same thing plus whywontgodhealamputees? See, for us to find this for you, these are the things we'd have to do to find the picture/topic unless someone remembers the topic themselves, or where it came from.

These are things you need to learn how to do. It takes patience but should be successful in the end. Or not.

-Nam

Nam, with all due respect, think logically for a moment. Since I had known about the search feature, and google search images for a while, since I frequently used both of them, had I been successful through those means, I would not have made a thread like this, since search features sometimes don’t do their features properly.

Even with text, there was a post that I searched for a long time ago from Parking Places that I knew, but could not find for the life in me, so I did what I knew to do, I asked Parking Places for help. He helped me achieve it and thus, we both were happy.

I have been taught that if I’m having trouble with something, to ask for help. I asked for help, and Timo thus helped me, as well as Chronos, as well as Screwtape.

And Nam, and Pianodwarf for that matter:

I have that issue sometimes. Why Iuse google. Just type in the website name, and what I am looking for, and seem to find it in no time.

But I think my point is valid: people need to exhaust themselves in finding what they're looking for, and not just have someone else do it for them 'cause they are lazy or incompetent.[1]

-Nam

For crying out loud.

Go to Google, enter the words "jesus thor" without the quotation marks, and do an image search.  Your results will vary a bit depending on whether you're signed in and what your search history is, but in my case, the ice giants thing is the very first image in the list, and I doubt it will be very far down the list in anyone else's case, either.

I'm sorry, but sometimes I wonder whether I'm the only person left on the planet with more than three active neurons.

Sometimes we are unsuccessful within our tools to find the answers we are looking for. Sometimes, even if something simple, we need to go out and help others who are asking for help.

I was not lazy or incompetent, and I have more than 3 active neurons. I was searching for quite a while, to the point where I made this thread as a last resort, and where Timo answered the call, as well as Screwtape and Chronos giving advice as well.

I have huge respect for Timo, Screwtape, and Chronos. For you Nam, and you Pianodwarf, in all due respect, if this is how you help people, you 2 can go fuck yourselves. I don’t care if this bans me or gives me negative darwins, you don’t pull off a Christian move like that on those who ask for help. Seriously, either help out, or fuck you and keep your worthless fingers off the damn keyboard.

And Nam, if you didn't want to sound rude, how about changing the post so it doesn't sound rude? Lazy or incompetent much? We have something called a preview button next to the post button. Use it if you don't want to sound rude.

I can be a troll to you both to you know. I apologize, but this needs to be said.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 08:26:32 PM »
I don't know of a better way to search these sorts of things.  But I'm pretty sure this is what you were looking for:

Although I can only give you a +1, I thank you so much for that! I have been looking for quite a while for it! That was what I was looking for.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »
^^^ Sweet. Really sweet.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 08:34:04 PM »
For crying out loud.

Hello?

-Nam

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 08:43:05 PM »
Thanks to the advice of Chronos, I was able to finally find the pic on my own that Timo posted. Pic was from Traveler in the "The Woo is Strong in This One" Thread. I would have never found out otherwise.

But that was the whole point of the thread, to ask for help, and to inform others in things that might not have been known. I'd like to keep the thread open overall if nothing more than for the fact that other users, even despite the search, advanced search, and google search, may not find what they are looking for, and could ask.

Troll posts aside, the thread has done it's job, if anybody feels like closing the thread due to the aforementioned troll posts, mine included.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »
Nam, with all due respect, think logically for a moment. Since I had known about the search feature, and google search images for a while, since I frequently used both of them, had I been successful through those means, I would not have made a thread like this, since search features sometimes don’t do their features properly.

Going by your posts, it seems the only route you took, by your own words, is the search feature here; and nowhere else. And, if you used google images, you should've found it relatively quick: I did. And, I'm on the phone, which limits my ability compared to someone on a desktop.

Even with text, there was a post that I searched for a long time ago from Parking Places that I knew, but could not find for the life in me, so I did what I knew to do, I asked Parking Places for help. He helped me achieve it and thus, we both were happy.

It's fine to ask for help, not stating it isn't; however, your OP doesn't suggest you placed much effort into searching for anything. You know how many people ask for people to look for something that they are either too lazy to search for themselves, or just ask someone else to do the work for them for any other reason? A lot. I am not speaking of this website but as a whole. I put it to the same degree as those who ask others to do their homework for them.

And Nam, and Pianodwarf for that matter:

Sometimes we are unsuccessful within our tools to find the answers we are looking for. Sometimes, even if something simple, we need to go out and help others who are asking for help.

What tools are you using that going to google images doesn't give you your image in 3 seconds? It did for me.

I was not lazy or incompetent, and I have more than 3 active neurons. I was searching for quite a while, to the point where I made this thread as a last resort, and where Timo answered the call, as well as Screwtape and Chronos giving advice as well.

Again, by your own words, it seems the only place you searched was this website. It seems only later do you state you searched google but if you did, going by your description, you should've had no problem in finding it. It seems you are incompetent.

For you Nam, and you Pianodwarf, in all due respect, if this is how you help people, you 2 can go fuck yourselves. I don’t care if this bans me or gives me negative darwins, you don’t pull off a Christian move like that on those who ask for help.

And Nam, if you didn't want to sound rude, how about changing the post so it doesn't sound rude? Lazy or incompetent much? We have something called a preview button next to the post button. Use it if you don't want to sound rude.

I can be a troll to you both to you know. I apologize, but this needs to be said.

"A Christian move..." -- ?

You sound like you have more than just the incompetence in finding things...

-Nam

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 11:15:37 PM »
Going by your posts, it seems the only route you took, by your own words, is the search feature here; and nowhere else. And, if you used google images, you should've found it relatively quick: I did. And, I'm on the phone, which limits my ability compared to someone on a desktop.

It's fine to ask for help, not stating it isn't; however, your OP doesn't suggest you placed much effort into searching for anything. You know how many people ask for people to look for something that they are either too lazy to search for themselves, or just ask someone else to do the work for them for any other reason? A lot. I am not speaking of this website but as a whole. I put it to the same degree as those who ask others to do their homework for them.

I’ll give you this, but granted, I didn’t know about the information Chronos posted, nor did I expect you or pianodwarf to reply they way you both did. Had I known this, I would have been more detailed and specific.

What tools are you using that going to google images doesn't give you your image in 3 seconds? It did for me.

Google was the tool. In addition to the search bar. I was typing in who knows what kind of combinations and I could not garner the pic Timo posted. I got an alternate version of the said pic, but it wasn’t what I was looking for. Remember, I didn’t know of Chronos’ trick, which worked easily for me.

It goes with the saying, “learned something new every day”.

"A Christian move..." -- ?

You sound like you have more than just the incompetence in finding things...

-Nam

Let us not delve into this pointless banter. It was obvious that you knew something I did not know, I give you credit for that. However, my lack of knowledge does not mean I’m incompetent, but uninformed. It’s the approaches that are taken that will garner what kind of reactions you will see.

The portrayal of doing somebody else’s homework is a valid comparison, but how do you expect to teach somebody so they can do the homework on their own when they genuinely have no clue of how all of the math equation for example works, and needs to be shown how it can be solved? I thought what I knew with Google was all their was, and then Chronos showed a new way for searching which I had not known about, which thus has brought me a ton more possibilities that were previously unavailable, and thus, on my own, found the pic Timo posted.

Overall, a bit of patience from everybody and keeping calm even in the midst of the storm goes a long way for everybody.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 12:14:41 AM »
Actually, my reply to you was informative, perhaps not as informative as other post but still informative. I first told you to use the search feature here, and then google. The notation I made about not attempting to be rude was honestly stated. I note that I come off that way, and thus the notation. However, when you began to be rude to me...rules changed. Pianodwarf was rude in his opening statement to you, I wasn't. Any actual rudeness you have gotten from me started when you became rude to me i.e. saying "fuck you" to me.

And for future reference: I am much more skilled at the game than perhaps you think I am, or you actually are.

-Nam

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 12:47:45 AM »
Actually, my reply to you was informative, perhaps not as informative as other post but still informative. I first told you to use the search feature here, and then google.

With banter, which for some reason always sends me over the edge. Examples:

See how simple that is?

-Nam

-Nam

There’s always more to it than meets the eye.

However, when you began to be rude to me...rules changed. Pianodwarf was rude in his opening statement to you, I wasn't. Any actual rudeness you have gotten from me started when you became rude to me i.e. saying "fuck you" to me.

Problem is, I felt you were far more rude before the comment than after. It’s the beauty of internet.

And for future reference: I am much more skilled at the game than perhaps you think I am, or you actually are.

-Nam

Flame wars do nothing for me, so you win. I personally wouldn’t want to win a flame war to be honest. You said it yourself in another thread that you come across others as a bully, but you don’t wish to change that stigma. Do what you want is your game.

Let me just say I personally apologize as I over-reacted and mis-read you. I am not that familiar with who you are or the style of postings. I was a bit more vulnerable at this point in time because I felt like you were mocking me for asking or making the thread. As another thread you wrote goes, your not perfect and neither am I, so let us put aside the rudeness one did or thought one did, and call it a night. If you don’t forgive me, I’m cool with whatever you decide to do. Just know I’m attempting to correct an error I made.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 12:58:34 AM »
There was no "banter", "frustration", perhaps but not banter.

-Nam

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 08:11:23 AM »
If it's any consolation, it's an awesome picture. If this thread didn't exist, I would never have known of its existence.

Oh well, f**kin' saved. Might come in handy later. ;)

[edit]
In return, have this, it's kinda related, plus I've got it on a t-shirt.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:14:54 AM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 09:04:59 AM »
Hi DeathoverLife

I understand you are annoyed and put off by those two posts.  I would be too.  But please find ways to express yourself that are not so mutually inflammatory as "go fuck yourselves".  I've been there myself and the best thing to do is take a break before posting and let some of the anger subside.   

You are not in trouble, and you are not going to be banned for it.  Just please take it a little easier in the future please.  thanks.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 07:52:10 PM »
Hi DeathoverLife

I understand you are annoyed and put off by those two posts.  I would be too.  But please find ways to express yourself that are not so mutually inflammatory as "go fuck yourselves".  I've been there myself and the best thing to do is take a break before posting and let some of the anger subside.   

You are not in trouble, and you are not going to be banned for it.  Just please take it a little easier in the future please.  thanks.

Will do, and I agree that I needed to have not been so inflammatory. I crossed a line, so I apologize for that, to the board, Nam, and Pianodwarf.

And I forgot to mention, glad to have helped you discover the Thor pic Seppuku! Making this thread was worth the pic imo. And the original poster to thank for that is Traveler! May she be a great Heathen at heart!  ;) \m/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:55:19 PM by Death over Life »