Author Topic: 78% of Americans are idiots  (Read 1811 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: 78% of Americans are idiots
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »
I agree with Screw and PP. It is a nice day, you all need to chill out on the name-calling, and that peanut gallery is only making matters worse.

Thank you lotetc, but we've got it covered.   
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »
Nam, Joe,

Step away from your keyboard, take a couple of deep breaths, have a drink of water.  Then, post without kicking each other in the teeth, please.

One Above All, your shots from the peanut gallery are not productive.

Text deleted - challenging moderators in thread is against the rules. Please refrain from this in the future.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:57:48 AM by HAL »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 12:48:13 AM »
http://www.gallup.com/poll/155003/Hold-Creationist-View-Human-Origins.aspx

According to the latest Gallup poll, 46% of Americans believe in the literal Adam and Eve creationist fairy tale, while another 32% believe that mankind's evolution was guided by God. Is it any wonder that Americans are considered stupid by the rest of the world?

Reading numbers like that it makes me feel so lucky to live in China. Not allowing freedom of religion is one thing the Communist Party has done right.

They are a lot more open now. They dont allow anti giv stuff

Tibet is undercchinese rule by the way. I belueve nepal is not

Calling all theists idiots is an exageration.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2012, 12:54:13 AM »
^I thought he called all Americans idiots?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2012, 03:53:44 AM »
78% is all? If I ever borrow money from you, remind me to only repay 78% of it, You'll be cool with that right?
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 03:59:25 AM »
Ah, yes, the ultimate joebbowers defense - calling a strawman where there is none.

And your inability to recognize obvious strawmen arguments is legendary.

So, China has freedom of speech and only silences those who match your specific criteria of when it should be surpressed? Do I laugh now, or wait 'til later?

I never said that or anything remotely suggesting it.

And the Chinese government, or its people, before religion came along, never commited such acts? Again: do I laugh now, or later?

Actually, it seems by your own words there's no fault with China 'cause they aren't a whore to religion.

This is only 22% strawman, as I only said 78% of Americans are idiots.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:01:31 AM by joebbowers »
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 05:00:34 AM »
78% is all? If I ever borrow money from you, remind me to only repay 78% of it, You'll be cool with that right?

So, in your view: what are the other 22%?

-Nam

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 05:26:42 AM »

I don't know. I don't know them or what they believe in.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 05:37:19 AM »
is that 22 percent smarter than the 78 percent christian population? How about if part of that 22 percent were complete morons who can't tie their shoes, while a small part of the 78 percent are college educated working on curing cancer?
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2012, 06:55:38 AM »
Ah, yes, the ultimate joebbowers defense - calling a strawman where there is none.

And your inability to recognize obvious strawmen arguments is legendary.

So, China has freedom of speech and only silences those who match your specific criteria of when it should be surpressed? Do I laugh now, or wait 'til later?

And the Chinese government, or its people, before religion came along, never commited such acts? Again: do I laugh now, or later?

Actually, it seems by your own words there's no fault with China 'cause they aren't a whore to religion.

This is only 22% strawman, as I only said 78% of Americans are idiots.

What you actually did say was still stupid. Lots of mainstream religious ppl who acknowledge the tbeory of evolution are not idiots at all. I suppose, you might argue they are idiots on the topic of the existence of god.

I have worked wity to creatioisrs who were geniuses in their field. I do not think their biology was correct
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2012, 08:16:18 AM »
Newton was a religious nut and an alchemist. That does not mean that he was an idiot. Fred Phelps is actually a clever, successful lawyer. Intelligence is not the issue. Ignorance is.
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »
Emily has used the word idiot at least 30 times on these forums, including 'complete idiot', 'absolute idiot', and 'fucking idiot'. She even referred to her fiance as an idiot.

Nam has used it over 240 times.

And yet when I use it they intentionally feign ignorance and claim that I'm using it to define people on the whole, not just to describe people for their religious beliefs, the context that it was clearly used in.

I expected more intellectual honesty from you guys.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »
Well that's a surprise. I thought it was a lot higher than 78%.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:21:30 AM by Frank »
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

I don't know. I don't know them or what they believe in.

You don't know the other 78%, either. As if polls are the be all, end all of whether a person is an "idiot" or not.

I could conduct a poll here that's similar, and come to the same conclusion as you if I minused out all the non-specifics a poll does.

So far the only idiot I've seen here: you.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »
Emily has used the word idiot at least 30 times on these forums, including 'complete idiot', 'absolute idiot', and 'fucking idiot'. She even referred to her fiance as an idiot.

Nam has used it over 240 times.

And yet when I use it they intentionally feign ignorance and claim that I'm using it to define people on the whole, not just to describe people for their religious beliefs, the context that it was clearly used in.

I expected more intellectual honesty from you guys.

Really? Just 240 times? I must be slipping. But have we ever singled out a people like you have? When I call people an idiot, it's not to state they are benign of intelligence it more has to do with what they do or say in a particular moment.

See, where as you feel a portion of people are idiots, I feel everyone is. I am not biased as you seem to be.

See the difference?

-Nam

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2012, 11:07:46 PM »
78% is inexcusable.  It's educational and intellectual theft.  The information is out there but people are being actively denied it.  As a consequence, people who could use critical and analytic thinking skills are instead encouraged to follow their emotions.  This results in people who don't comprehend the cause and effect of scientific discovery and, worse in my opinion, a mistrust of those who do.  People don't vaccinate their children, don't recognize the consequence of behavior on the environment (local or global) or how a nation's behavior affects another culture. 

I want the thieves caught and their propaganda silenced.  I want their lies exposed.  I want my children to grow up in a society that doesn't pine for the good old days when only WASP men were allowed to excel.  I want them to be able to face the challenges and stresses they'll naturally face without people patronizing them or trivializing what they're going through. I want them not to look for hope in a myth because the community is just so prevalent and can offer pot-luck suppers and day care in the summers.  78% is too much, and what they believe in is mindbogglingly detrimental to all society. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +332/-84
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 12:46:42 AM »
According to wiki, 50 countries are Christian by 90% or more. The United States is not of those 50. The U.S. is only 79.7% Christian. Of those 79.7%, 55% are Protestant. Since, in my opinion Protedtants believe in Creationism and Catholics believe in Evolution (but probably only because the Church holds that position) then part of that percentage of 78% are Jews and Muslims. Which means not all Protedtants believe in Creationism.

The highest population of Protestant Christians are in Europe and Africa. So, I wonder: are polls ever done on them; or all Christians, for that matter, on whether they believe in Creationism vs. Evolution and even in saying all this: those who do believe in Evolution do not believe it the same as those who are atheistic and/or scientific since in their minds: Biblegod did it.

This is why I dislike polls like this, and also why those from other countries have no leg to stand on when they state shit like this.

-Nam

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 06:37:25 AM »
78% is inexcusable.  It's educational and intellectual theft.

WTF. Only 40% are creationist, not 78%. Yes, you can lament that most Americans are indeed religious. Cures. Democracy is like that.

The vast majority of people in any country have no knowqeldge of science what so ever. Their belief or lack of belief in creationism is not very meaningful.

Offline oogabooga

• Graduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • I doubt, therefore I might be.
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 08:44:56 AM »
Who is a doctor to cure cancer? How dare he presume to interfere! Religion is harmful. It should be discouraged, supressed, and banned at every opportunity. Like racism and sexism (which are core components of the major religions), religion shouldn't get a free pass, sorry.
How can you compare curing a disease with banning religion?
While I do agree that religion can be and often is harmful, and that it should be discouraged, I can't bring myself to condone forcing people to disbelieve anything. Banning any kind of belief is harmful in more ways than I can even think of - one of them is the fact that banning religion is making martyrs out of believers and reinforcing belief. In Christianity martyrdom is the very basis of religion, so what good would persecution do?

Anyway, China, like many other so-called Communist countries is very much religious - the whole system is one big religion, forcing people to believe one particular thing over all others. Please, explain how it's different than, say, Afghanistan as the Taliban would have wanted it (and had it for years, for that matter). What the West call political persecution is actually a religious one.

The only antidote to any kind of religion is education. Knowledge. That's what should be encouraged. I firmly believe no belief system (even those based on fairy tales and nonsensical myths) should be banned, but I also believe they should be made extinct - by education and active promotion of critical thinking based on relevant information and facts.

I never said Chinese people were smarter than Americans in general, but I hold them in a higher esteem than Americans specifically with regard to their non-belief in the creationist tripe and Christianity in general. Christians in Chinese society are laughed at and their beliefs are not respected. They are thought to be stupid by most people. As they should be.
The Chinese are taught to think their system and leaders are gods, for lack of a better term. Any kind of criticism is not just discouraged but outright banned (at least it used to be), so they don't know how to think and believe anything else. How does that differ from rabid 'insert name of religion here'?

How am I being ignorant? I know full well the danger and harm of religion. It's a cancer that must be cured.
So do any kind of systems that ban people from believing, saying and doing what they want. In that way the kind of wannabe Communism, as practised in China, should be 'cured' as well.

Are you saying that religion deserves respect? Specifically which aspect of it? And how do you plan to seperate those good aspects from the bad?
Nobody is saying that religion deserves respect just for being what it is. It's just an idea - like the ones thought of by Chairman Mao. An idea is not alive, so you can't really respect it, can you? It does nothing by itself and actions are the ones that deserve respect or lack thereof. People who believe in any kind of god do not deserve respect just for the fact that they believe. Personally, I don't give a flying frak about someone else's beliefs. But I do care about their actions. If those are good, the person deserves my respect and vice versa. Enforcing Mao's ideas was ... well, often really, really bad. Sometimes not so much. Which aspect of it should be 'respected'? How do you separate the good from the bad?

Separating the wheat from the chaff is easy. Is an idea good and worth spreading? Then spread it. Does it suck? Don't. It's quite simple.
Excreta Occurs

Offline Gill

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +5/-58
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 09:05:51 AM »
Exactly,  anyone who disagrees with your world-view, must be an idiot.  Brilliant argument!