Author Topic: Is Biblegod Omnipresent?  (Read 615 times)

Offline lomolo

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Is Biblegod Omnipresent?
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:36:20 AM »
I was debating someone online and this came up. I asked him a question and described God with the 3 O's - Omniscient, Omnipotent, and Omnipresent. He said there wasn't any scripture to back the claim that he's Omnipresent up, citing that this verse:
Psalm 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
isn't valid (inasmuch as proof of God's Omnipresence) because the Jews don't believe in hell. I thought that was a fair point and couldn't find any that actually said that God was Omnipresent. I mean, it doesn't really eliminate the multitude of problems that the other two bring up, but I thought it was a fair point.

He also said that throwing unbelievers into fiery hell for an eternity was justified because "God is above all things just", which prompted me to end the discussion  :-\
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:39:07 AM by lomolo »

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
Re: Is Biblegod Omnipresent?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:44:53 AM »

He also said that throwing unbelievers into fiery hell for an eternity was justified because "God is above all things just", which prompted me to end the discussion  :-\

I love it when someone accidentally tells the truth.  'god is above all things just' seems like another way of saying that 'Justice is irrelevant to god,' which, if one looks at Biblegod's career as a whole, is certainly true. 

But to your question:

If god is truly omnipotent, it seems to me that omnipresent ought to be a feature of omnipotence.  At least within our space/time continuum.  Otherwise it's like this: 'god is ominipotent, but he isn't here today...so, let's PAAAARRRRRRRRR-TAY!'[cue Beastie Boys record]

Of course, I think the whole notion of an anthropomorphic invisible sky wizard being the 3 O's is pretty unlikely, so the person you were debating might have been bumping up against that truth and so had to back away. 

Incidentally, aren't there 4 O's:

Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Omniscient, and Omnibenevolent?

But since god is above things just, he gets exempted from the duty of omnibenevolence and so he gets to PAAAARRRRRRRRR-TAY!'[cue Beastie Boys record]

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +748/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »
Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Omniscient, and Omnibenevolent?

You would think that if he were all those things, he'd be a little more noticeable.

It is nice to know the bible doesn't actually say any of those things directly. More proof that everything about religion is made up. Even the stuff not in that book.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 12:05:45 PM »
Omnipresence comes from the Catholic dogma of God's omnipotence.  God is considered completely actualized, that is to say, there is no potentiality.  There's nothing left that he hasn't done/been.  If biblegod is omnipotent, then he must be present everywhere to be knowledgeable of all things.

The following list of properties are attributed to God by Catholic dogma:

Omnipotent
Omniscient
Omni-benevolent
Impassable
Infinitely Just
Infinitely Merciful
Eternal
Knowable by Nature
Omni-present
Absolutely Perfect
Absolute Immutability
The First Efficient Cause

But your debate-buddy is probably right in that there is no one verse that can be pulled out to support this.  That never stopped the RCC, however, as they simply connected the dots in the way they thought most appropriate.  Everyone does, of course, but the RCC has decided to patent their dot-connecting by calling it "dogma." 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 12:49:33 PM »
He sees you when you are sh*tting, He knows when you are awake, He knows if you have been good or bad so be good for His sake.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 07:54:08 AM »
He can't be omnipresent, unless he's a liar.

He went "looking" for Adam and Eve after they'd eaten the apple. Why would he look if he knew where they were? Is he playing games?

He also asked Cain where his brother Abel was. Wouldn't he have known he was dead already?

What biblical evidence does the catholic church use to suggest he is omnipresent?

E.
'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 10:40:49 PM »
He can't be omnipresent, unless he's a liar.

He went "looking" for Adam and Eve after they'd eaten the apple. Why would he look if he knew where they were? Is he playing games?

He also asked Cain where his brother Abel was. Wouldn't he have known he was dead already?

What biblical evidence does the catholic church use to suggest he is omnipresent?

E.
hehe the RCC has no interest in wether or not God is ommni-max they only care about how much money the pretending will bring them
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Tertullian

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 01:01:51 PM »
I believe God's transcendence is being overlooked.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 01:56:59 PM »

I think God has been overlooked since he was invented, and replaced with greed, fear, control, guilt, shame, hatred, bigotry, and every other malformed moral that humans can generate.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 02:22:04 PM »

Then God shouldn't be so greedy and pass the magic mushrooms around.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 07:19:44 PM »

I believe "God's transcendence" is a completely meaningless term until we have hard data that suggests such a being exists.

ETA:  In the context of the omnipresence problem, asserting the transcendence of a god really doesn't add a heck of a lot to the argument.  It just adds one more realm (e.g., outside the physical universe) to the list of places such a god might be.  It could be both inside and outside; just inside; just outside looking in but not actually ''present" in the physical universe; or nowhere at all.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:28:39 PM by Astreja »
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 11:45:44 AM »

I have no idea what this even means.  I need a little more explanation.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 10:13:44 PM »
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/omnipresent

present everywhere at the same time: the omnipresent God.

For someone who is present everywhere, he sure is inconspicuous.
If you are following God why can I still see you?