Author Topic: My theory regarding the True Origin of religion.  (Read 1960 times)

Offline darwin-is-christ99

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-2
  • Awesome Atheist
My theory regarding the True Origin of religion.
« on: May 28, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »
I have to admit, this may not be original in that I am not sure if it has been said before. But I believe Religion started when (bear with me here) Extra terrestrials visited Mankind when Man was at his earliest "form"if you will. These Aliens came in from space in their "ships"; probably researched briefly and left. And so Man thought of these Weird creatures from the sky and believed them to be  gods. That explains why they have been revisiting us for centuries now, to sort of check our civilization N' shit. It is just a theory, but I am probably right.
People who don`t like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn`t have such funny beliefs.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
Re: My theory regarding the True Origin of religion.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »
Evidence?
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:02:11 AM »
It is just a theory, but I am probably right.

Modest, too!   ;D

I'm with Pony - I'd need to see your evidence before I could comment on the likelihood of your being correct!
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:16:46 AM »
That may not explain the popular Christian belief that "God created us in his image"...

Any engravings, cave drawings, ancient texts etc. that you want to share that can support this hypothesis?

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-4
  • I did haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:53:59 AM »
But I believe Religion started when

I'll concede that this is an excellent way of explaining Islam.

A problem with your theory is that religion has started in lots of places. Also, the more primitive ones tend to be sacrificial ones, trying to weather and pestilence.
I strive for clarity, but aim for confusion.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 07:16:53 PM »
I have to admit, this may not be original in that I am not sure if it has been said before. But I believe Religion started when (bear with me here) Extra terrestrials visited Mankind when Man was at his earliest "form"if you will. These Aliens came in from space in their "ships"; probably researched briefly and left. And so Man thought of these Weird creatures from the sky and believed them to be  gods. That explains why they have been revisiting us for centuries now, to sort of check our civilization N' shit. It is just a theory, but I am probably right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_the_Gods?
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 07:42:38 PM »
I believe that religion started as science and philosophy and government. 

As "science," it explained the things that couldn't be explained, such as why the sun disappeared below the horizon each night, or how the earth was formed or why there were floods and droughts. 

As "philosophy," it explained right from wrong, and tried to identify the role of human beings within their families, their communities, within the known world, and within what they understood of the universe.  It attempted to answer the "whys."

As "government," it provided rules to live by, and consequences for breaking those rules.  If your goat eats your neighbor's crops, you've gotta give him a few shekels. If you steal, the community cuts off your hand.  Or if you steal, you will be a lowly lifeform in your next life.  So don't do it.   

Every society has created religion.  There were different stories and different answers to the big questions and different rules.  But now we have real science.  Philosophy continues to ask increasingly complex questions, without needing to take a diety into account.  And we as a species are trying to create just governments.  Maybe we haven't gotten it quite right yet.  But we are trying. 

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 09:24:38 PM »
I believe Religion started when (bear with me here) Extra terrestrials visited Mankind when Man was at his earliest "form"if you will. These Aliens came in from space in their "ships"; probably researched briefly and left. And so Man thought of these Weird creatures from the sky and believed them to be  gods. That explains why they have been revisiting us for centuries now, to sort of check our civilization N' shit. It is just a theory, but I am probably right.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto...
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 09:33:25 PM »
Nanu, nanu

Shozbot

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +187/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 09:35:33 PM »
Mark Twain has it right...

Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 09:59:39 PM »
Mark Twain has it right...

Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.

This would mean religion is the longest running con in human history???

And the religious are ...

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +685/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 10:05:03 PM »
I doubt that is how it happened. If it did, Genesis would start "In the beginning, god created conspiracy theorists".

I'm pretty sure humans don't need external help to make stuff up.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11:04 AM »
Evidence?

You didn't read the "evidence" in the chariot of the goods as a kid?

Lets see:
- the pictures of Aztec gods looked like they had space helmets on
- the prophet who went in a firey chariot was most obviously leaving Israel in a rocket ship

The author not only managed to get a best selling book out of the evidence but about 100 other poorly selling books as well.

Very fun reading and proof that pseudo science can be more profitable than real science

There was another screwed up theory on religion. The author was one of the guys who made a big deal about the dead sea scrolls not being accessible to scholars. His theory was religion was induced by magic mushrooms
No idea what evidence supports that thesis.

My theory? I'll go with people like Michael Shermer and Carl Sagan's t]claims about magic thinking an pattern finding abilities in the brain.My evidence is I've seen people do this and done this myself. For example, even the trivial activity of watching sports has people hoping in a magical thinking kind of way for victory.

Human worship goes back eons. We have religious animal figures from 30000 years ago.

Another factor that I would consider is a human need to belong. This need, according to my theory is transfered to the natural world. We need to see ourselves in context of the tribe. We extend the tribe to a cosmic one.

It would be interesting to delve into the peer reviewed research on the matter at a later date.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:47:28 AM by Graybeard »
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +459/-15
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 06:49:21 AM »
corrected small typo.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 07:28:07 AM »
You could spend your Friday nights watching Ancient Aliens!  Lots to learn there.  A few weeks ago I posted about a really interesting episode. 

Last night I watched Ancient Aliens, which is my new Friday night tradition.  I don’t know why, but I really look forward to it.

One of last night’s episodes started out presenting the theory that NASA is overseen by the Freemasons, who are in fact the holders of great secrets passed down by the descendents of the ancient Egyptians who apparently documented the fact that their bloodlines can be traced back to the “sky gods” who were, of course, ancient aliens.  Apparently, it is all a secret plot by the people who can trace their bloodlines to the ancient aliens, and who are trying to go visit their great great great great to the umpteenth power grandparents. 

Evidence for this theory included two references to the number 33.  One early NASA flight took off on runway 33.  And there was something else about another 33 related to an early rocket launch.   And then there was an A on some symbol, which NASA claimed stood for Apollo, but which clearly refers to the Egyptian god in the bloodline.  And there were three dots near the letter A, which clearly depicted Orion’s belt, which is where these aliens came from. 

How can you dispute evidence like that?
  http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,22603.msg505340.html#msg505340

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 11:23:18 AM »
Religion is fundamentally an attempt to explain something unknown out of what someone already knows.  No more, no less.  People have always done it, and probably always will do it.  The difference is that as our knowledge grows, we find it less necessary to invent actors to explain the unknown, although the actors which have already been invented will stick around for a long while.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 11:28:06 AM »
The belief you mentioned is also heavily spouted in the History Channel series Ancient Aliens so you are not alone.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »
A theory requires evidence. Where's yours?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 03:14:14 PM »
Aliens have not been "revisiting us for centuries now". Because there is not a single shred of physical evidence supporting such an assertion.

Or are you going to claim that the aliens, or the US government, or the UN, or the Chinese, or the Freemasons, or the Trilateral Commission, or the Jewish bankers have been able to locate and hide every scrap of evidence, kidnap and silence every witness, divert every researcher, buy off every scientist and blackmail every official in the entire world for lo these many years?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »
Religion is fundamentally an attempt to explain something unknown out of what someone already knows.  No more, no less.  People have always done it, and probably always will do it.  The difference is that as our knowledge grows, we find it less necessary to invent actors to explain the unknown, although the actors which have already been invented will stick around for a long while.

Weird are on the rise. Science is a black box for most. Many great discoveries haver spawned new belief systems. New age, alien abduction, quantum mgic, the more we lean, the more to fuel those seeking something or those seeking a quick dollar

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 02:59:48 AM »
Dude, you sure you're an atheist?

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 03:25:06 AM »
Methinks DIC has left us. 

Given that he thinks his best qualification for joining the military is "i now some Army jargon" (sic), I can't say I'm surprised that he believes in regular alien visits.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 03:47:08 AM »
The ARMY. WHERE ANYONE CAN JOIN, EVEN THE STUPID.[1]

-Nam
 1. this is not to say all who join or are in the Army are stupid.

Offline grant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 05:29:04 AM »
dicko, religion started through fear of death.

Still goes on today, the fear.
What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 05:53:51 PM »
Aliens have not been "revisiting us for centuries now". Because there is not a single shred of physical evidence supporting such an assertion.

Or are you going to claim that the aliens, or the US government, or the UN, or the Chinese, or the Freemasons, or the Trilateral Commission, or the Jewish bankers have been able to locate and hide every scrap of evidence, kidnap and silence every witness, divert every researcher, buy off every scientist and blackmail every official in the entire world for lo these many years?

You cannotr objectively say there isno evidence

What you can say is, you've been made aware of any evidence and that some very knoledgible people who have looked have noot fopund anything conclusive

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
Ancient Aliens coming on the History Channel in 45 minutes in my corner of planet earth! 

Come on.  Who wants to join me in this perverse Friday night addition? 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 08:48:26 PM »
^I stopped watching TV a year or so ago. The only TV I watch is what's on DVD.

-Nam

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 10:05:40 PM »
Recently finished a 9-day road trip through the national parks of southern Utah, and saw lots of native American petroglyphs.  I gotta admit, many of the figures looked like otherworldly creatures.  But that's looking through my 21st century eyes. Settlers traveling cross-country 150 years ago probably would have completely different opinions of the figures, since space helmets, antennas, and aliens from outerspace hadn't been dreamt of yet.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 02:04:22 AM »
Abstraction wasn't evented by Picasso.

-Nam