Author Topic: Human was made 6500 years ago?  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Trigem

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
Human was made 6500 years ago?
« on: May 24, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how the roughly 6,500 years ago that Adam and Eve were first created was arrived at? I saw it somewhere but I couldn't recall how and where I read that.

Thanks

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
Re: Human was made 6500 years ago?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 01:30:01 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how the roughly 6,500 years ago that Adam and Eve were first created was arrived at? I saw it somewhere but I couldn't recall how and where I read that.

Thanks

There are genealogies given in the New Testament.  It's in Luke 3 and at least one other place, can't remember for sure, but basically, the genealogy goes, "Jesus was the son of Joseph, who was the son of..." etc. etc. all the way back to Adam.  By using this genealogy, the lifespans of the various people in question, and so on, you can arrive at a reasonably decent ballpark figure for how long ago Adam and Eve were created.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »
Ussher chronology I think that you will find this link will be helpful in resolving this question. Basically, at some point a scholar or two went through the stories in the Bible, in descending order, in order to establish a timeline of events based upon the lifespans of those figures mentioned in the Bible. Going backwards that way, they came to date the Creation story in Genesis at around 4000 BC.

This is of course contrary to everything that we actually know about the age of the earth, universe and our species.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 02:29:58 PM »
Hi,

Thanks

There are genealogies given in the New Testament.  It's in Luke 3 and at least one other place, can't remember for sure, but basically, the genealogy goes, "Jesus was the son of Joseph, who was the son of..." etc. etc. all the way back to Adam.  By using this genealogy, the lifespans of the various people in question, and so on, you can arrive at a reasonably decent ballpark figure for how long ago Adam and Eve were created.

Would this make everbody on earth Jewish?
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline caveat_imperator

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 02:59:43 PM »
Would this make everbody on earth Jewish?

Mazel tov!
You can't prove a negative of an existence postulate.

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »
Richard Dawkins tells of an aquaintence who is a prestigious PHD level geologist. That geologist has every dating resource known to man, at his disposal.  The geoligist still contends that the earth is 6500 years old. He is a fundie who cannot bring himself to believe his own ironclad evidence because it opposes the biblical teachings of his religion.

I got this from a very long video where Dawkins and N,D,Tyson were doing a symposium. Youtube.com/watch?v=9Zxytwuwsyli&feat  A terrific video if you can manage to bring it up. It is long but well worth the time spent. Dawkins was very good, Tyson was spectacular.

Offline Trigem

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »
This is the statement I obtained from someone I debate with:

"I do know that the figures Young Earth creationists frequently quote was derived from the Biblical genealogy, the "begats". And in doing so, they assumed that the genealogy is complete and that the age of the Biblical figures is estimable - which is naive considering Methuselah lived to an age of 969 and Adam 930. They would also have no idea of the ages these characters chooses to procreate."

Your view?

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 10:44:43 PM »
                                             age when       yrs lived after         age @
                                             kid born             kid born             death              sum of yrs
Adam                                       130                   800                   930                   130
Seth (@130)                             105                   807                   912                   235
Enos (@105)                              90                   815                   905                   325
Cainan (@90)                             70                   840                   910                   395
Mahalaleel (@70)                        65                   830                   895                  460
Jared (@65)                             162                   800                   962                   622
Enoch (@162)                             65                  300                   365                   687
Methuselah (@65)                     187                   782                   969                   874
Lamech (@187)                        182                   595                   777                  1056
Noah (@182)                            500                   451                   951                  1556
Shem (@500)                           100                   500                   600                  1656
Arphaxad (2y post-flood)            35                   403                   438                  1691
Salah (@35)                              30                   403                   433                   1721
Eber (@30)                                34                   430                   464                  1755
Peleg (@34)                              30                   209                   239                   1785
Reu (@30)                                32                   207                   239                   1817
Serug (@32)                             30                   200                   230                   1847
Nahor (@30)                             29                   119                   148                   1876
Terah (@29)                             70                   135                    205                   1946
Abram (@70)                          100                   -                        100                   2046

I stopped here because this is when Sodom & Gomorrah were destroyed. There is some evidence that they were real cities & they were destroyed by a meteorite. The date of impact has been recently calculated as 3123 BCE.

2046 yrs + 3123 BCE + 2012 CE = 7181 yrs

To my knowledge the previous figures were calculated in a similar manner but without any solid reference point. Just 19 years until the big 7200.    :angel:
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline Trigem

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 11:48:45 PM »
Now, this is cool!

Thanks.

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
  • You know
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 12:30:27 AM »
@Samothec

Minor quibble.  Enoch didn't die.
Nah son...

Offline Trigem

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 01:54:15 AM »
Is this 6,500-year old earth claim merely a Young Earth Creationists' imagination or would you say there is biblical truth to it?

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 02:02:47 AM »
Is this 6,500-year old earth claim merely a Young Earth Creationists' imagination or would you say there is biblical truth to it?

Biblical Truth? That is shocking. Did you mean Biblical Reference?

Offline Trigem

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 02:15:04 AM »
Hmm, how would you react differently?

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 03:12:07 AM »
The Biblical reference is true (Otherwise Samothec would have been crucified)

Here is a link to Genesis 5 http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/5.html You might have to do some simple arithmetics, they didn't bother to make it into a convenient tabular format.

Gen 5:4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters: 
Gen 5:5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
( 930 - 800 = 130!!!)

The amazing thing is that despite the massive inbreeding, by the 10th generation (Noah's) the Earth (Or Middle East) was teeming with evil people and animals.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 04:53:36 AM »
I guess I just don't understand why God didn't put all of this important information into an excel spreadsheet.  If this is all true, then think of all of the time we have wasted learning about the big bang and evolution and carbon dating and whatnot. 

If God had just put the TRUTH into an easily scannable spreadsheet, that celestially superimposed itself on top of any false data, we would not be having this silly discussion. 

Why didn't He do that?

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 07:35:22 AM »
I guess I just don't understand why God didn't put all of this important information into an excel spreadsheet.  If this is all true, then think of all of the time we have wasted learning about the big bang and evolution and carbon dating and whatnot. 

If God had just put the TRUTH into an easily scannable spreadsheet, that celestially superimposed itself on top of any false data, we would not be having this silly discussion. 

Why didn't He do that?

Since it's obvious that a god can't do anything itself, then it should have DilbertTM working for it....... Things would have been a whole lot clearer by now if god would have such a genius to work with.....but alas! god, for reasons known only to itself, has a bizarre codependency with the psychotics of this world and so decided to leave all the ongoing explaining of the "clear truth" to the brilliance and upstanding characters of greats such as Moses, Elisha, Jonah, Peter, Paul, Ratzinger, Falwell, Haggard.... and of course Westboro Baptist Church  ;)
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 09:49:02 AM »

The earth is not 6,500 years old, it is several billion years old.  Anyone who believes otherwise is adhering to some form of falsehood.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 12:44:56 PM »
Gen 5:5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

The amazing thing is that despite the massive inbreeding, by the 10th generation (Noah's) the Earth (Or Middle East) was teeming with evil people and animals.

God said whoever ate fruit from the knowledge of good/evil tree would die that same day, yet the same God let Adam live 930 years.  Good thing the Bible is inerrant, or I might find that confusing.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Trigem

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 02:18:17 PM »
What do you guys think of the Old Earth Creationists? These Christians obviously don't subscribe to the age of earth to be 6,500 years old.

Offline caveat_imperator

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
What do you guys think of the Old Earth Creationists? These Christians obviously don't subscribe to the age of earth to be 6,500 years old.

I have no love for the anti-science peddled by either the OECs or YECs. Even though OECs don't foolishly believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old they're still ignorant enough to believe in creationism.
You can't prove a negative of an existence postulate.

Offline superfly

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • go ride a bicycle
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 09:06:44 PM »
God said whoever ate fruit from the knowledge of good/evil tree would die that same day, yet the same God let Adam live 930 years.  Good thing the Bible is inerrant, or I might find that confusing.

The fundies will tell you that this means a 'spiritual' death... :o
Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!
Kurt Vonnegut

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 12:07:24 AM »
I thought humanity was 6,499 years old. Damn! Back to the drawing board.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 12:40:09 AM »
Seventh Day Adventists insist that the sabbath day is Saturday. They claim that one or more of their educated founders have accurately calculated the day that god designated for rest. I am not aware of their assesment for the age of the earth.  They are pretty emphatic about the sacred status of Saturday. Seems to me that the person or persons who discovered the certainty of the day of rest were pretty good at astrophysics. Those calculations were surely difficult and tedious on account of leap years and all that.

Speaking of SDAs, I'll bet that you have unknowingly subsidized a certain number of them for years. Adventists eat no meat as a condition of their belief. They use vegetables and the various grains for sustenence. Back in the day, a pair of resourceful adventists wanted to make the grains more convenient to use and more tasty. They tinkered around with some recipes and figured out a way to make (are you ready for this?) corn flake cereal. That turned out to be a good thing for adventists.  Soon, prepared cereals caught on with other people as well. The two guys lived in Battle Creek Michigan and one of them was named Kellog. After a time they had some disagreements and the other guy left the firm and started a competitive one. His name was Post.

Offline Trigem

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 12:47:17 PM »
I thought humanity was 6,499 years old. Damn! Back to the drawing board.

-Nam

I just found out that a great majority, especially the Catholics, do not subscribe to the 6,500 year-old earth. I, too, am surprised.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
Yeah, I was raised Catholic and went K-12 school there.  I never heard of the young Earth stuff until coming here and seeing 1st hand how nuts some theists appear to be.  Yes, I know the Catholics have their problems (lock up your children).  But for straight out nuts the protestanbts are miles ahead.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline DKEN

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 05:25:43 PM »

The Hebrew term is "dying they shall die."  It means that they began dying immediately.  There are more than one type of death in the Bible as well.  There is Spiritual death, physical death, etc.  We, in English have more than one form.......something inside of him died when he heard the news........ sleeping so soundly he was dead to the world.  Metaphor and allegory.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 05:35:24 PM »
Now, when you come up with a surefire way to determine when a religious text is using metaphor and allegory, as opposed to literal fact, come back and tell us. Please.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »

The earth is not 6,500 years old, it is several billion years old.  Anyone who believes otherwise is adhering to some form of falsehood.
Anyone who thinks the earth is thousands of years old should never drive a petroleum-powered vehicle. For many reasons.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 05:39:01 PM »
Now, when you come up with a surefire way to determine when a religious text is using metaphor and allegory, as opposed to literal fact, come back and tell us. Please.

If it's been disproven, it's not literal.
If it contradicts something else in the Bible, it's not literal.
If no contradicting evidence has been found, it's literal.
If it can't be disproven, it's literal.

Something like that?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.