Author Topic: Planned Parenthood In Pennsylvania May Be Defunded  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
Planned Parenthood In Pennsylvania May Be Defunded
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:29:15 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/22/planned-parenthood-pennsylvania_n_1537256.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D163207

Thank the Republicans for this one again, specifically Pennsylvania State Rep. Daryl Metcalfe (R-Butler).

What also got to me is this:

So far this year, Arizona successfully stripped funds from Planned Parenthood, and legislators dropped similar proposed laws in Iowa and New Hampshire. Maine cut $400,000 for family planning services out of the state budget this week, and five other states -- Ohio, Kansas, Michigan, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania -- are currently considering bills that would directly defund Planned Parenthood.

and

If presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney follows through on his promise to "get rid of" Planned Parenthood funding entirely, the number of affected patients could climb to five million.

"What’s happening in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Kansas is a preview of what would happen in all 50 states if Mitt Romney is elected," said Cecile Richards, president of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America.

and...

In Pennsylvania, Republicans hold the majority in the state House of Representatives and Senate. Gov. Tom Corbett (R), during a debate over a transvaginal ultrasound bill that would have required all women seeking abortions to receive one, said that women who didn't want the procedure should just "close [their] eyes."

At that quote, not so Mr. Tom Gorbett needs to be arrested for advocating rape on women.

Just how do these people end up getting girlfriends/wives, much less impregnating them?

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
Re: Planned Parenthood In Pennsylvania May Be Defunded
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:21:31 AM »
I find this sort of thing so disheartening.  Supporting healthcare, education, workers rights, protecting voter rights, attempting to address the growing income disparity between rich and not rich; these are pragmatic, even self-serving positions that make any nation stronger.  I donate to, email and vote for pragmatic people, but it feels like trying to hold back the ocean's waves.  The mean-spirited and ultimately destructive antics of fearful, bigoted and selfish people seem to grow in number and outrageousness by the day.

The puritanical misogyny is exactly that.  Shame women in any way possible.  We can only hope that they have gone too far, and that women who pride themselves on standing by their man, wake the F up and say no to this crap.

As for Tom,  I'd like to suggest a catheter for... well, for anything.  You know. for the lolz &)

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
Less healthcare for poor people. That will be helpful. WTF? :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »
Less healthcare for poor people. That will be helpful. WTF? :?

Isn't it the ultimate goal to help the poor die off sooner so we don't have to keep wasting our money on them? Because we pay so much in to the programs that actually help these people with all of our tax breaks, loop holes, and politicians who let us hoard our money?

I still like that old kid's song... Oh you can't get to heaven. I think most of the upper class could use a good sing a long session.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 12:31:25 AM »

Isn't it the ultimate goal to help the poor die off sooner so we don't have to keep wasting our money on them? B [snip]

I think I know what these awful really people want.  They want to live in the days when you could spot a jew, get a couple of buddies, and give him the beating he deserves...  A day when you could tie a black man to the back of a truck and drag him for a half mile, and the sheriff would admonish you to knock off the horse play .  You know, when smacking your wife around for burning your toast was considered all part of the perks of being a man. 

They are angry that those days appear to be gone.  They don't have an end game.  They want to be free to be cruel.  They want to be free to let loose their hatred without repercussions.  They see that world slipping away for the past century, and want to dig their heels in and try to pull it back. 

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »
I agree with you Bereft_of_Faith ; what's scary is that they may actually succeed. While I doubt we're going to allow slaves, beating jews, or women. They still have enough power to take away our other civil liberties.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 11:55:42 AM »
I agree with you Bereft_of_Faith ; what's scary is that they may actually succeed. While I doubt we're going to allow slaves, beating jews, or women. They still have enough power to take away our other civil liberties.

They can win all the battles they want. We will win the war. Ostracizing minorities has cost them an entire generation that will then educate its offspring to respect liberty and such. In the end, they cannot win.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »
There was a report earlier this week about how more minority babies were born than white babies for the 1st time in this country.  I think this has scared the sh*t out of conservatives.  That is one reason (along with a black man in the White House) for all the laws trying to restrict voting.  This is the only way to protect their small tent without inviting others in.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 01:24:03 PM »
I read something yesterday[1] that said the % of people in America who agree with abortion has dropped.
 1. Don't have time to look up the source now but can later tonight if needed.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 01:26:46 PM »
I think it is how the question is asked.  That is why polls are usually all over the place.  Each side knows how to pose a question to get the results they want.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 01:29:11 PM »
I read something yesterday[1] that said the % of people in America who agree with abortion has dropped.

Disagreeing with something[2] doesn't mean they don't agree with the right to choose. Still, given that people are becoming more tolerant, the right to have an abortion (not just abortion, mind you) will logically follow from that trend.
 2. Also, could you explain what "disagree" means?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 01:31:23 PM »
You know...1st it was abortion, then birth control, then artificial conception, along with gay marriage.  Next in line for guilt and shame will be living together out of wedlock.  That is a big sin in the eyes of the church.  Wonder how that one will go over?

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »

Disagreeing with something[2] doesn't mean they don't agree with the right to choose. Still, given that people are becoming more tolerant, the right to have an abortion (not just abortion, mind you) will logically follow from that trend.
 2. Also, could you explain what "disagree" means?

Sorry I'm taking care of kids, cooking chilimac, baking corn bread, and checking out the internet all at once.[3] I think the poll meant the number of people who supported abortions has dropped, but I really need to find the article again because you are right, the verbiage is key. I will look it up later tonight, I should have waited to bring it up until I had the source. My apologies.
 3. Totally irresponsible!

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 01:40:41 PM »
<snip>

Kimberly, chill. Regardless of the poll, the results on nearly every other issue are the same - our "psychological evolution", if you will, has caught up with our scientific development. We are becoming more tolerant and smarter than before. Freedom (within a subset of rules that prevent us from causing harm to others, obviously) will logically follow.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »
You know...1st it was abortion, then birth control, then artificial conception, along with gay marriage.  Next in line for guilt and shame will be living together out of wedlock.  That is a big sin in the eyes of the church.  Wonder how that one will go over?

I lived with men and had both my children out of wedlock. I don't think people frown upon it as much now as they did 8 years ago. When I first had my eldest I got all kinds of dirty looks. It could be because I was 19, it could be because I was not married, or it could be because people are weird. But I do remember getting several insults from family and friends who tried to rush me in to marrying her father. (At this time I was still semi religious.) So, I felt so much guilt for not being married that I TOLD[1] him he was going marry me. Luckily, for both of our sake's, he never married me, and I dropped the issue. With out getting in to detail we separated because he was detrimental to myself and my child. I shudder to imagine how much harder it would have been to leave had we been married.

But no one is trying to rush me in to marriage now that we have the newest additional to the family. No one seems to care that we aren't married yet, or that we weren't married when we had her. The same people who tried to make me marry my ex, couldn't care less that I'm not married now.

Maybe my ex was so insane they finally trust me to make my own decisions about my life, seeing as how I was right. Or maybe society doesn't care about that nonsense any more.  IDK, but in my experience society doesn't care like they did 8 years ago about such issues.
 1. I didn't ask.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 01:47:05 PM »
<snip>

Kimberly, chill. Regardless of the poll, the results on nearly every other issue are the same - our "psychological evolution", if you will, has caught up with our scientific development. We are becoming more tolerant and smarter than before. Freedom (within a subset of rules that prevent us from causing harm to others, obviously) will logically follow.

Okay, but my point is that there are still a large number of people who aren't evolving. And a large number of people resisting the change. I'm not saying you are wrong by any means... I just don't know that I have a timeline on how long it will take.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 02:03:29 PM »

Quite funny you mentioned slaves. Since there is a huge imbalance between theists and atheists on this board, I went into a theist forum to curb my debating addictions. :D In this, because the Bible says so, some of the theists view Slavery as a good thing!  :o I agree with what you said they are trying to do, and defunding/eliminating all of Planned Parenthood is just the start. If they succeed, they just may bring back slavery.

Then again though, I do notice the trend One Above All is talking about very heavily. The youth are not so religious nor fond of it, hence why the church’s attendance are pretty low, according to many Pastors.

Also, with what Nick proposed, they also have a fear of the white man no longer existing a few generations from now. Problem is, the trends that they and the government have set up, all of the humans will probably face extinction by that time, so it’ll all be for nothing worth crying about.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 02:30:10 PM »
People manage to live with all kinds of contradictions.
They don't want there to be any abortions. Except for theirs, or their daughters, or wife's or girlfriend's. Then they complain that there aren't any Planned Parenthood offices in their community.

They don't want to pay taxes. Then they complain when the government doesn't do anything about this or that problem. And they want to cut more taxes.

They want the schools to teach children better. Then they cheer when their governor lays off hundreds of teachers. And they complain when unemployment rises.

They complain about government workers, because they make too much money, have nice benefits, and do easy, cushy work. But they would never advise their kids to be teachers, police or firefighters because the work is dangerous and hard, the pay is low compared to your skill level,  and you get no respect from the public!

They complain when they go into a government office because the buildings are old, the chairs are uncomfortable, the lines are long, there are too few workers and they are harried and overworked. And they somehow think that turning the functions of that office over to the private sector (where they have to do the same work with the same tax money, plus make a profit) would make it better...

They have no idea what the government does for them. But they know that the government does it badly and should stop doing it. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 01:27:11 AM »

They can win all the battles they want. We will win the war. Ostracizing minorities has cost them an entire generation that will then educate its offspring to respect liberty and such. In the end, they cannot win.
When one looks at history in terms of centuries rather than decades, one can clearly see a shift to liberalism.  Institutional slavery is gone.  Women's rise from chattel status continues.  The ideals of liberty and equality have shone their light on the shadow of divine right.  Science continues to triumph over superstition.  Dissemination of knowledge continues at what may be an exponential rate.  In other words, I agree with you and, should our civilization be fortunate enough to continue, brighter days may yet be ahead.

However, what scares me, as an American, is that my country, which has played a significant part in that progressive trend, may be becoming so reactionary that its place among the great nations of the world, that is, the ones leading us onward, will be jeopardized. 

I have always been proud to be an American.  Not because we kicked ass, or had a flag with stripes on, or we landed on the moon.  I was proud because it seemed that we took seriously, those advancements listed above.  We were not perfect, and sometimes took a while to come to the right decisions, but in the end, we'd always be on the right side of history.  We made mistakes, grave mistakes, but we always worked it out.  America, a rather young nation, founded almost whole cloth from the enlightenment, could stand proudly with the Mother of Parliaments or the ideals of the French revolution.

Those in America who wish to pull us back, are pulling us back to a time we have already rejected.  With every successive generation, we leave racism, sexism, and religious rancor further behind.  But now, the enemies of all that we have stood for, all that we have striven to achieve have regrouped and redoubled their efforts.  Will they ultimately fail, as you imply?  I sure hope so.