Author Topic: A Gift That Will Change Your Entire Life Forever [#2648]  (Read 3625 times)

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
Re: A Gift That Will Change Your Entire Life Forever [#2648]
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »
jesusonly saves

I'm trying to help you out here, but you seem to be ignoring me.  I explained in this post why posts like this are a problem:

No, God's scriptures contradict you instead. I think you don't like God's point of view concerning your sins.

You are also projecting your personal prejudices on to people you do not even know.  I'd like you to stay and have discussions with us.  But I have seen this pattern before.  And the people who came before you did not end up very happy or staying very long.  And that would be a shame.  Please go back and follow my direction above.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »
No, God's scriptures contradict you instead. I think you don't like God's point of view concerning your sins.
Why is it that if someone doesn't get what God supposedly said, or disagrees with it, it's somehow because of their own personal problems (sins, as you put it)?

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »

I suppose that is possible.  I have read the scriptures, and I certainly have never made any attempt to keep the Sabbath holy.  I can't even get a straight answer on when the Sabbath is.  Most Christians think Sunday.  Some think Saturday.  Jews and Muslims think that Moses was talking about Fridays, but Jews think Friday night, Muslims Friday at sunrise.  I'm pretty sure Christians like midnight to midnight.  Not sure about daylight savings time of long international flights.   

So I guess I don't like this commandment that I keep the Sabbath holy, when I can't get a straight answer about what the Sabbath is.  And then I need when I start asking about how to keep a day "holy," well that presents a whole different set of problems. 

I'm also a little unclear about graven images of things in heaven and earth and whatnot.  I draw pictures.  Not very good ones.  But I've been doing it more frequently since my daughter started kindergarten.  I don't worship them though.  Am I ok on that one?

In terms of the contradictions, one of our members listed a few of them recently.   

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,22745.msg508027.html#msg508027 

I can't be the only one who finds some of this stuff confusing.  Maybe you could clear it up for us. 

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »

I've truly never understood this sentiment. Societies that are more secular have less crime, less violence, are more peaceful, than societies with more religious folks. While christians are worrying about who sleeps with whom, and telling people what they have to believe, we are actually building healthier societies.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2012, 07:45:46 PM »

Oh really? So you think that your scriptures are the facts rather than something written by ancient goat herders years ago? The thing is, i'm don't like the scriptures because it's nonsensical, not because we "want to sin" as you so boldy proclaimed.
Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +463/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2012, 08:00:25 PM »
He gave His own life for you on the Cross at Calvary,
As far as I can see, He didn't give up His life. He was there when the World began, He was a god, He was immortal and 3 days later he was allegedly walking about the place.

How many dead men do you know who did that?
He is the only one who can save you from your sins
Sins that His father invented.
and the coming judgment,
That judgement has been coming for the last 2,000 years. Honestly, it isn't going to come is it?

if you are willing to accept His gift of salvation.
But this is the problem isn't it? How do we know He was telling the truth? I could say, give me $100 and I will ensure you live forever after you are dead - why wouldn't you believe me?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:02:09 PM by Graybeard »
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2012, 01:58:17 AM »
<snip>
What I'd like to tell is that unbelief has never had any impact upon the truth. My friends, you are dealing with "Absolute Truth", and "Eternal Truth. Although, you may choose not to believe in it, but it does not change the fact that one day you will have to stand in front of God and give Him and account about how they lived their lives while here on this earth.
<snip>
..and I can stand right in front of God, and say this:
"I believed strongly in the capabilities of mankind.  However, we had problems.  And you weren't answering those problems, even when prayed to.. And instead of wasting my time wondering what I'll get in the afterlife, or if I do nothing and pray to you what I'll gain after this life; and instead of waiting until the afterlife to fullfill my potential and solve the problems of today, I did all of those things while I was still alive.  I worked hard to accomplish everything I wanted to accomplish - my own software to better the world and push the bar, a better society, a better understanding, helping others to understand a point of view that they may not have understood before.  I tried to make the world a better place, doing all the little things that I could while I was alive, instead of waiting on you to fix people's problems for them at the end of time.  People needed help - and I always wanted to help.  It was like a lightbulb that went off, that made me constantly try to help people.. "

"I think a lot of people out there could say the same.  They called themselves 'rationalists', 'scientists', 'doctors', 'police officers', 'lawyers' (at times), 'judges', etc.  I think you get the picture.  We all did this on our own, hoping that we could build a better place than what we had.  We did these things to try to do what's right, to try and solve problems and resolve our differences.  We did this for our children, and their children.  We thought this was all we would ever have.  Sorry we didn't waste all of our time on absolutely blind faith, but science was telling us other things...  No, none of us were perfect.  But I realized that everything is perfect and it's not, all at the same timePerfection was just an illusion.  It was just a goal to look at and try to strive towards.  Nothing will ever be perfect, but in reality - it's perfect in its own way.   Not all of us believed that since God did not intervene in our lives, that he might not be real, that there would be a consequence.  We were all just working according to what we thought would promote a better place for ourselves.  We were all doing what we thought was right, at least to some major degree...  we weren't spending all of our time waiting for the future to happen, but rather making the future happen."

"But I loved openly without getting it in return.  I helped openly without getting anything in return.  I gave people things they never had before, that was of really good benefit - for nothing.  I gave the world all I could, got nothing in return, and left it without even the skin on my back..  Yeah, I became angry later in life with a short fuse.  But, that's just the way the world shaped me.  I can only say the same thing a few times now, and if it falls on deaf ears, it's irritating"

"I never really cared if I got eternal life, so I largely ignored the bible (even though I read and understood most of it according to my own translation).  I was content with just having one life, and it really seemed like that was all I would get.  So instead of wasting my time on problems of the bible and pushing for the agendas of religious leaders, I spent all of my time trying to help people that really needed help, and solving problems that really needed to be solved. I became an activist - a realist. I was no longer concerned about what might happen after my life, but rather what gets to happen during my life. I wanted to build my life around my beliefs on real things, not what the bible told meI was the best judge by conversation and points made on what was the best course of action, what was good, and what was right. I was constantly changing viewpoints on things, until I felt I had it right. I didn't want to wait for tomorrow - I wanted to build it.  Sorry I didn't spend all of my time rehearsing scripture and trying to make people believe in something that may not be real except in my head, like Satan...  But, you proved me wrong that you don't exist.  Now, tell me this - why are the ones that spent all their time on fantasy and blind faith the saved ones, while the people that were working to try to make the world better condemned?  Didn't you say that we would be judged based on our actions?  How is faith in something that seemed like the imagination of the human mind deemed the highest possible action that a man could take, and every other action moot?  It's believing in something that wasn't there - we couldn't see it, touch it, feel it, hear it, etc... That kind of faith is like looking at the void in space and saying - 'I believe there's something in that black spot, but don't have any observations (when nothing may be there at all)', instead of looking into space, making observations, and saying - 'this is what's out there'... We were all learning based on our own reality, and trying to make our own reality better - but because we didn't believe in something we've never perceived, we're condemned?  I don't understand this reaction..."

main points bolded for brevity..
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:14:44 AM by jeremy0 »
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline caveat_imperator

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2012, 11:10:12 AM »
All my families are religious, all of them. My mom is similar like you in trying to convince me that being religious is the only right way to live ever since I told her that I don't believe anymore.
As for me, I won't try to deconvert any of my families/friends, you know what I do ?

I work hard and keep providing for my mom and dad who just had a stroke, I paid my younger brother's college tuition in full, I helped my older sister with her hospital bills after she collapsed at work due to typhus. I do all that without expecting anything in return. What did all my other religious relatives do to help ? Praying at church and wishing us well, that's all, nothing concrete.
Unlike them, I let my actions do all the talking. Let them see what kind of atheist I am.

Good luck with continuing your help to your immediate family. :)

I bet at least one of those others who think that praying is all that is needed believes that their god is using you (or 'working through you' as they might put it) to assist your family. >:(
You can't prove a negative of an existence postulate.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2012, 01:48:25 AM »
Well, it is not an assumption. God gives full assurance about what is going to happen after death. Those who accept Jesus Christ as their savior will inherit Eternal life. And those who reject Him will be perished.

And you actually trust the word of an alleged god that would allow anyone to be tortured for eternity? I sincerely believe that your confidence in the benevolence of such an entity is tragically misplaced.

Stop harden your heart and give Jesus Christ a chance for him to reign in your life.

Jesus, if ever he lived, is now almost certainly dead.  Dead people only "reign" in the imaginations of believers.

And I think it's extremely rude of you to assert that our hearts are "hardened."  Yes, we disagree with you.  No, you do not have some special insight into our emotions.

Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-4
  • I did haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2012, 02:38:55 AM »
Jesus,

Thanks for endorsing Hugh Jackman as Jesus in your avatar. I think Mel Gibson's performance was a bit shit. I think, mainly, Australians should play the part of Jesus, but Willem Dafoe was pretty good.

Now, you mentioned earlier that Mark told you to go preach to the world. That's fine, but straight after that, he says that you should be casting out demons, healing people and drinking poisons. I pretty sure you have done a lot of that, and this is why you are so sure you are saved. Some of us are not so sure.

I think we have already received the gospel, which is present in Mark and Matthew: be nice to people (unless they are Christian Matt 5:46). However, we are not so sure about the whole thing taught by Paul, because he admits in Galatians that he just made it all up, and is going against James.

I appreciate in your opening post, how you tried to make Christianity sound different, by mentioning Calvary. That was good; I almost thought you were going to convert me to Islam, for a few seconds there. However, I noticed that in your title, you were offering some sort of "Gift". I've heard this before from Africans who frequently email me, and I'm just wondering if there are any strings attached; like, do I have to supply a passport, and an initial deposit of some kind?

From time to time, I have looked at the Bible, and I read with interest that I am supposed to pluck my right eye out. This seems unacceptable, since the previous religion endorsed divorce, whenever it pleased me. I enjoy divorce, and would like to do it fairly often, without being cast into hell, so it seems like I should stick with Judaism.

Please feel free to explain when the law was tightened up, so much that I need to be blind.

Chris
I strive for clarity, but aim for confusion.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2012, 04:59:22 AM »
If you've never had the chance to meet him, to know him or to allow him to become your Lord and Savior, you can do so right now by praying that simple prayer.

I prayed, but he didn't appear. Now what?
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2012, 07:06:10 AM »
Jesus,

Thanks for endorsing Hugh Jackman as Jesus in your avatar. I think Mel Gibson's performance was a bit shit. I think, mainly, Australians should play the part of Jesus, but Willem Dafoe was pretty good.

I'd like to see an actual jew play jesus some time.  Fyvush Finkle is too old now, but perhaps Adrial Brody or Jason Schwartzman or Seth Rogan.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2012, 07:22:17 AM »
I'd like to see an actual jew play jesus some time.  Fyvush Finkle is too old now, but perhaps Adrial Brody or Jason Schwartzman or Seth Rogan.
What about Sacha Cohen? At least he would treat the part of Jesus with the amount of ridicule it deserves.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline oogabooga

• Graduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • I doubt, therefore I might be.
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2012, 08:00:06 AM »
OK, let me star by breaking this post down a bit.

Well, I've read some of your responses about my message. To be honest with you they are all based on unbelief. First, I am not going to spend time arguing with anyone of us, since it always leads to nowhere. Jesus Christ does not send any of His believers to go out there and argue with people. All He said that in this verse is "He said to them, “Mark 16:15-16 - Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."
Yes, our responses really are based on unbelief. Most people here are non-believers, so that's hardly surprising.
Claiming that you won't 'argue' with us is quite unproductive considering the fact this is a debate forum and you can't have a debate without arguing. In this context you can't equate arguing with fighting. To argue in a debate means presenting arguments for your position. If you do not wish to do so we'll assume you're here to preach, which is in direct violation of forum rules.

And if Christ didn't care enough for the world to ask his disciples to present arguments for their case, he (and his dad) shouldn't be all that surprised by the fact that most people in the world still don't believe in either of them.

As far as God existence is concerned you have no excuse according to this verse  "Romans 1:19-20 - Since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."
If that's so plain, why isn't it plain for all of us? My non-belief is not an excuse, it's a default position due to lack of any evidence of his existence and the accuracy of the book you're quoting from. The invisible qualities of god are exactly as they're described - invisible. As in not seen, undetectable. How can invisible be plain?

The message of the gospel is based that on the fact that we are all sinners, since there is no other way we could have lived up to His standard. He send Jesus Christ to die on the cross for our sins. By His death on the cross we have the opportunity to reconcile with God, to inherit eternal life and to become a child of God.  Romans 3:23-24 - For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,  and all are justifiedfreely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.
That has always either baffled me or just simply pissed me off. If we were created by god, by his standards, how can we not reach those standards? It's like having a drug addict mom blame her child for being impaired by her drug abuse during pregnancy - and worse, have her force the child to beg forgiveness for it. If the merchandise is substandard, blame the manufacturer, not the merchandise. If we really were made by a supreme being, than that supreme being made us to be sinners. We're not the ones who should be held responsible.

Receiving that incomparable gift is all based on accepting the sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross on our behalf by grace trough faith. Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. All you have to do is to acknowledge that you are a sinner and open your heart and let Jesus who is the Eternal savior, the King of kings, the Lord of lords, The Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end to come into your life.
I do not accept any kind of sacrifice neither I nor the entire humanity never asked for.

What does it mean to 'earnestly seek' god? Faith as puny as a mustard seed should be quite enough according to your very scripture. And why doesn't god knock on my door at least a tiny little bit so I can let him in if that's supposedly so important?

What I'd like to tell is that unbelief has never had any impact upon the truth. My friends, you are dealing with "Absolute Truth", and "Eternal Truth. Although, you may choose not to believe in it, but it does not change the fact that one day you will have to stand in front of God and give Him and account about how they lived their lives while here on this earth.
Belief also has never had any impact on the truth. If I break my leg I don't have to believe it in order for it to be true and (quite painfully) real.

The message of the Gospel is black and white, it's all or nothing. You can either choose to accept Jesus as your savior which means accepting life or reject it which means rejecting life.
I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. The message of the Bible is contradictory and confusing at best. If it's either all or nothing, I therefore presume that you also not wear different types of cloth. Ever. Or that you don't eat seafood if it's not fish (with fins and scales, no less). And so on. If it's either/or, I'd love to know if you observe all of god's commandments.

My friends, God is love and you'll never understand His love as long you keep one living in sin, disobedience, rebellion and unbelief. John 3:16 -  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. Romans 5:8 - But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 1 John 4:8 - Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
How exactly does that work? I already commented on god's love in my first post in this topic, but let's delve in simile some more. If god's message is either/or, as you claim, we have two choices: we can either do as we're told or we'll burn in hell. The message is as simple as that. If there is an either/or scenario in existence, it would imply choice (and Christians often emphasize that we really do have a choice). But is there one? If a bank robber puts a gun in the teller's face and says, "Give me the money or I'll blow your head off!" does the teller have a choice? A real one? That can certainly be debatable. But the alternative to the initial demand is so horrible, he would have to be quite suicidal to take it. So there really is no choice. If god really, truly loved us, we'd have a tad more alternative to 'either worship me unconditionally or suffer eternally', don't you think?

Reading the Bible I came to only one conclusion - all the dictators, usurpers, serial killers and inquisitors in the world combined fade in comparison to him. He's holding the world hostage and even demands we're grateful for it. That's not love. I'm pretty sure a person who'd do that to someone, anyone else is anything but loving.

One thing people often fail to realize the same Jesus that they don't want to have anything to do with is the one that one day they'll call upon to save them, but it will be too late. I think we all can agree with the fact that one day, we are all going to die. The choice that we make today is what going to determine where we will spend our eternity.
I doubt I'd be a big enough wimp to go back on my own convictions to beg someone to save me from my own deeds. I'm the one responsible for what I do and I don't want anyone else to take responsibility for my mistakes. And at the same time I don't want them to take credit for my work. If god really is loving, he loves me. And if he loves me, he'll love me for all my shortcomings and failures. Like a parent should.
Excreta Occurs

Offline Anfauglir

• Professor
  • Darwins +407/-5
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2012, 08:17:18 AM »
If you've never had the chance to meet him, to know him or to allow him to become your Lord and Savior, you can do so right now by praying that simple prayer. A decision that you will never regret, all you have to do is to allow the Spirit of God to speak to your heart right now at this moment. I strongly believe that the Spirit of God is now speaking to your heart right now about the importance of that incomparable gift.

"Dear God, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from You. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward You. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that Your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send Your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen."

Hello Jesusonly saves - and thanks for taking the time to offer this prayer for us: for me.

Unfortunately, there's a couple of major problems with it.

Firstly, it requires me to say "I believe....." when I know that I don't.  I'm not willing to lie, even if your god would be willing to accept that lie, so I honestly cannot say that part of it.  Which leads me on to the second problem...

Because I do not believe, I cannot honestly say the parts about being sorry, about avoiding sin, about inviting Christ in.....I truthfully and honestly can't.

And that's the problem.  Until I believe, I can't open dialogue with Christ (if he exists).  But (according to you), until I say that prayer, god will never open the dialogue with me.  Can you see the problem I have?  Because it is impossible to force belief where none exists, I will be forever unable to be saved.

And can you see why - when the communication breakdown is because of something I can't do, and something your god won't do....I find it hard to accept that your god really loves me, and wants to have a relationship with me.

Looking forward to your response.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline oogabooga

• Graduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • I doubt, therefore I might be.
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2012, 08:44:03 AM »
Since it doesn't exist, I have no plan about that.

Everything we know about chemistry, physics, biology, and all other related disciplines points to one conclusion, and one conclusion only: consciousness ceases with death.  That being the case, it would be foolish for me to ruin my life based on any assumptions about what will happen to me after I die.
Forgive me, but I had to edit your post a bit to reflect reality. There, I fixed it.  ;)
Excreta Occurs

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2012, 09:20:19 AM »
...Firstly, it requires me to say "I believe....." when I know that I don't.  I'm not willing to lie, even if your god would be willing to accept that lie, so I honestly cannot say that part of it...

This has always astonished me about religious persons. I remember going to a wedding with my ex-husband's parents. We, as atheists, of course were not taking communion, but his father tried to talk us into it. I picked up the communion card which had a list of requirements one must meet in order to take communion in that church. We failed them, and were unwilling to lie about it. I still don't understand the level of hypocrisy it takes to accept, and even want, pretense in something that's supposed to be so very, very important.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2012, 09:22:13 AM »
We failed them, and were unwilling to lie about it. I still don't understand the level of hypocrisy it takes to accept, and even want, pretense in something that's supposed to be so very, very important.

Maintaining the illusion for circular reasoning. Pretty basic.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2012, 09:24:24 AM »
This has always astonished me about religious persons. I remember going to a wedding with my ex-husband's parents. We, as atheists, of course were not taking communion, but his father tried to talk us into it. I picked up the communion card which had a list of requirements one must meet in order to take communion in that church. We failed them, and were unwilling to lie about it. I still don't understand the level of hypocrisy it takes to accept, and even want, pretense in something that's supposed to be so very, very important.

That's why I usually point out that most apologetic appeals are not actually arguments for belief, but instead are attempts to get you to recite a rhetorical mantra.  They're far more concerned that you verbally say what they want you to say, rather than it having explanatory meaning to you or you believing it.  It is sort of a weird pretense that can be a little fun to poke at by giving them exactly what they want. ( Say it, then ask now what? )

Take the case of pascals wager as an example, the argument isn't asking you to believe because something might happen to you, instead it is asking you to pretend to believe in case something might happen to you.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2012, 09:37:34 AM »

Everything we know about chemistry, physics, biology, and all other related disciplines points to one conclusion, and one conclusion only: consciousness ceases with death.  That being the case, it would be foolish for me to ruin my life based on any assumptions about what will happen to me after I die.
Forgive me, but I had to edit your post a bit to reflect reality. There, I fixed it.  ;)

Ah, yes, of course.  As they say on Spartacus, "Gratitude."
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +689/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2012, 10:22:27 AM »
Adding to what Anfauglir, Traveler, Hatter23 and Omen have said, all it takes is the appearance of piety to satisfy the minions. They apparently think that if they can get someone to even just look like they are religious for a moment, the battle is half over.

When my father was in his last days, dying of cancer, my stepmother kept asking me to pray for him. My response was always some variation on "I am hoping in my own way..." which irritated her no end.

I was hoping he would die soon so he didn't need to suffer any more. She was praying he could keep living. Neither of us got what we wanted, but I wasn't actually expecting my hopes to effect reality. I was just plain old hoping as a being who isn't big on suffering.

But for her, it was probably worse that I wouldn't even look pious.

Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2012, 10:47:02 AM »
In other words, it seems like all arguments for nonbelievers to act as if they believe boil down to "God will care more about you talking the talk than you walking the walk".

Offline Grimm

• Professional Windmill Tilter
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-1
  • Apparently, the Dragon to be Slain
    • The Hexadecimal Number of the Beast
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
Guys.  Guys.  I got this.  Trust me.  I got this.

*cracks knuckles*

My friend, you have come here extolling the virtues of your God, but I tell you that you're simply wrong.  After all, does the Koran not say, "...now that a Book confirming their own has come to them from God, they deny it...they reply: 'We believe in what was revealed to us.' But they deny what has since been revealed, although it is truth...Say: 'Whoever is an enemy of Gabriel' (who has by God's grace revealed to you [Muhammad] the Koran as a guide...confirming previous scriptures)..will surely find that God is the enemy of the unbelievers.'...And now that an apostle has come to them from God confirming their own Scriptures, some of those to whom the Scriptures were given cast off the Book of God behind their backs...The unbelievers among the People of the Book, and the pagans, resent that any blessings should have been sent down to you from your Lord. " (Surah 2:88-, 98-, 103-)[/i]

Can you not see that your faith is misguided?  The Koran says so - in several passages in but a single Surah!  It goes on to say "The only true faith in God's sight is Islam." (Surah 3:19)[/i] - you must not deny him.  The way is open unto you, if you but believe. 

Try praying this with me:

"In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.  Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the world; Most Gracious, Most Merciful, Master of the Day of Judgement.  Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.  Show us the straight way, the way of those on home Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose portion is not Wrath, and who go not astray."

Allow the word of Allah to enter your heart, and you will find your life transformed. 

Why would you harden your heart to the Truth?

(... and when you object to this, sir, think why we may be objecting to you?)

"But to us, there is but one god, plus or minus one."  - 1 Corinthians 8:6+/-2

-- Randall, XKCD http://xkcd.com/900/

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2012, 03:09:18 PM »
^Oh oh, now make a prayer for Geb. We need our crops to grow, just don't make him laugh as then we'll have earthquakes to deal with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geb
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2012, 01:35:43 AM »
Man, you are right! That's the best gift I've ever received by anyone. I shall set beside the fruit cakes and the grandma candy. Thank you so much.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2012, 01:54:55 AM »
Well, I see that a lot of you are complaining about "Hell" which is where those who reject Jesus Christ who is the author of life will spend their eternity. What's your plan about that? What are you going to do?

Everything we know about chemistry, physics, biology, and all other related disciplines points to one conclusion, and one conclusion only: consciousness ceases with death.  That being the case, it would be foolish for me to run my life based on any assumptions about what will happen to me after I die.

Well, it is not an assumption. God gives full assurance about what is going to happen after death. Those who accept Jesus Christ as their savior will inherit Eternal life. And those who reject Him will be perished. I can understand why, we can grasp that message because the Bible says in 2 Corinthians 4:44 - Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

1 Corinthians 1:17-18 - For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Stop harden your heart and give Jesus Christ a chance for him to reign in your life.

Please excuse the excessive quoting, I am on the phone. It would take too long to edit out all but the last line that I am responding, to.  You do realize that many members here are former Christians. I, myself, am a former Southern Baptist. I didn't like what it had to offer. I would also make note: one usually doesn't go from religion directly to atheism. It's usually a long bumpy road.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Dynamic

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • A Young Atheist
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2012, 12:45:23 PM »
More of the question is, do you have any proof, hard irrefutable evidence to support your claims?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

If you want to talk through skype, message me.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2012, 01:25:23 PM »
You know...the gift that would change my life forever would be winning Powerball.  You can keep the sky daddy stuff.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »
Hey! Thanks for that free gift! I can show it off to all my friends just like any other real gift. Wait, I can't? I only experience it AFTER I die? You said, "Change My Life Forever." I don't give a frack about my Post-Death, I care about My Life. Now.

I have a free gift for you, It's a real life changer, guess what it is? $100 Billion. Nice right? You can go around telling everyone how you're garanteed this free gift... there's just one catch. It's payable to you only after you die. No will transfers or anything else. You shed your Earthly body and the $100 Billion is yours after Judgement Day. please do me a favor and in a few months give me your testimony on how the garanteed $100 Billion upon Judgement Day payout changed your life forver! Thank you.

EDIT: Well, I did say there's only one catch but I lied. You must live by some very special rules I made and you must keep to each and every single one of them... or for goodness sakes, at least stinking try. Then you must pay me 10% of your income for the rest of your life. Then you must goto $100 Billionaire Club weekly. You must also recruit new people into the club. Failure to comply successfully in all of these things, instead of getting your "garanteed" money, not only do you loose it, you'll be tortured for all eternity, but you won't know till Judgement Day. Oh, and by the way, if you choose instead to Opt-Out because you think my "free" $100 Billion is BS, you're garanteed eternal torture because that's how I show my "love! Because, You deserve it for not believing me. Come on, what's to loose? You'll make out like a bandit if this is true!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:24:18 PM by TruthSeeker »