Author Topic: The old "celibate" men are at it again.  (Read 411 times)

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +29/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
The old "celibate" men are at it again.
« on: May 21, 2012, 07:52:27 PM »
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The old "celibate" men are at it again.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:14:12 PM »
They just need this opportunity to drive attention away from their pedophile practices..   :o And I used to be catholiic... disgusting.
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 10:59:06 AM »
They just need this opportunity to drive attention away from their pedophile practices..   :o And I used to be catholiic... disgusting.

I don't think that's the intent here. It is about preserving their domain as something special and apart from, say a theater troupe.  Until government does not have a legal distinction between a theater troupe and a church, a truly secular government has not been acheived.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +47/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Until government does not have a legal distinction between a theater troupe and a church, a truly secular government has not been acheived.

That might be the most important message I'd like any theists lurking on this board to contemplate. I think most of us atheists don't mind much if people believe and worship a Magic Book if they want.  We just object to the ability of cruel deviants such as the Pope and his cronies forcing their warped and twisted will upon the rest of the world.  And if governments stopped giving religions special tax breaks and subsidies, it would be a little harder for the men in pointy hats to leverage so much power.   

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »

That might be the most important message I'd like any theists lurking on this board to contemplate. I think most of us atheists don't mind much if people believe and worship a Magic Book if they want.  We just object to the ability of cruel deviants such as the Pope and his cronies forcing their warped and twisted will upon the rest of the world.  And if governments stopped giving religions special tax breaks and subsidies, it would be a little harder for the men in pointy hats to leverage so much power.

For me, specifically, it is about discrimation and reason.

As long as there's a legal definition for a religion, there's going to be discrimation because silly belief X qualifies as okay, but not silly belief Z. Why should X get the housing deduction, lowered utilities, no property tax, the ability to not have to charge sales tax, but not Z? Because X is a wider held delusion. X gets privledges that only are acceptable because somehow X is special and no one can come up with a logical reason why X is special.

That's where reason comes in, as long as X is given a special legal status, you are basically admitting "we care fuck all about what actually makes sense."

You see a theater troop serves the community, and they can get 501C3 status. They don't pay income taxes. Nothing is stopping them from existing. However, if you were to say "I can't work on Fridays because my theater troop thinks it is wrong;" an employer doesn't have to legally comply with that. If you were to say "Hey, my theater troop doesn't tolerate people making fun of how bad they are, I wan't a law passed to make it illegal to criticize it" you would be laughed at by legislators. If you state "Because of my Theater troops beliefs, I want this dropped from the cirriculum" it wouldn't even be considered. If you whipped your children raw, what your theater troop stated about how it would make them better actors wouldn't be an issue in a court.

I, and many here, have no desire to outlaw theater troops or religion for that matter. Just that your beliefs don't get anything different or special legally speaking because of the sheild the word 'religion' gives them.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +47/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »
Good points about the theater troops. 

But also, theater troops cannot profit by getting govt. contracts to perform state-mandated social services. 

And US presidential candidates are not strong-armed into personal exclusive appearances before say, masses of fundamental Shakespearians, and are likewise not strong-armed into following a Shakespearian legislative agenda. 

(Nonetheless, US presidents have a strong tendency to re-enact huge portions of Richard III, except they are never forced to re-enact the final scene...)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 01:01:04 PM by flapdoodle64 »

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +783/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »
Well, Nixon tried to act out all the Shakepearian tragedies by himself. "You won't have Julius Caesar to kick around anymore."
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.