Author Topic: Oh That Darn Bombadier Beetle  (Read 2139 times)

Offline qwan_lee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-12
  • WWGHA Member
Oh That Darn Bombadier Beetle
« on: May 17, 2012, 05:48:11 PM »
An atheist thinking to himself, "what cockamamy way can we "explain this away".

http://www.bible-exposition.com/Wonders%20of%20God%27s%20Creation/new_page_94.htm

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
Re: Oh That Darn Bombadier Beetle
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 05:50:31 PM »
What can be stated with a link can be dismissed with a link.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/bombardier.html
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »
Ha! Beat me to it!

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »
Look what else I found on that website!

Evolution is a theory: it is not science.

http://www.bible-exposition.com/Wonders%20of%20God%27s%20Creation/science_in_the_new_millennium.htm

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 05:59:42 PM »
Gotta be a poe. Good money in that, probably.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:33:06 AM »

http://www.bible-exposition.com/Wonders%20of%20God%27s%20Creation/new_page_94.htm

Is the god who designed the amazing Bombardier beetle---not also the same god who designed the amazing one year old infant, but who is defensless and that, very often as we've seen, uneccessarily suffers and dies of brain cancer while craddled in its devistated mothers arms ?

Yeah, that god sure would be considered an awesome god &)

God: Look at my awesomness in the Bombardier !!

Human: Yes, but what about the ugliness seen in that dying baby ?

God: Shut up !!
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 08:36:53 AM »

I don't know about the rest of you, but this is enough to convince me.  I think I'm going to convert to Islam as soon as I get out of my strategic planning meeting this afternoon. 

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:12:06 AM »

qwan_lee, do you understand how you are seen when coming to this forum with such an attitude and such insufficient support for your claims?  Right now, you've already been shown how your claim is wrong. This could have been avoided if you did some research for yourself rather than simply using a link that has no evidence on it for its claims.  You've fallen victim to blindly thinking that since you think someone shares your faith, that means that they would never lead you astray.  This can make you look very foolish.  As a former Christian, I know how hard it is to accept that fellow Christians don't always tell the truth, but unfortunately that can be shown to be the case repeatedly. 

I would suggest that you do your own research in the future and not rely on someone else.  Your link has even the most basic facts about the beetle wrong.  If a theist can't be depended upon to at least report reality, e.g. that the bombadier beetle can only swivel through 270 degrees and not 360 degrees as your site claims "can swivel through 360 degrees and never misses" (a complete circle, which would be simply impossible since it would be firing *through* the beetle), why think that they can be true about things they have no evidence for?   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 09:31:01 AM »

I don't know about the rest of you, but this is enough to convince me.  I think I'm going to convert to Islam as soon as I get out of my strategic planning meeting this afternoon.
Don't forget you need to grow a beard, pray 5 times a day, make women feel inferior, and get pissed at "Draw Mo Man Day" on Sunday.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »
When asked what he had learned about the nature of the creator from his studies, The great british biologist, J.B.S. Haldane is said to have replied that " God has an inordinate fondness for beetles."  There are more beetles than anything else in the animal kingdom.  In numbers of species described, they represent the largest group of creatures on the planet, more than 25% of them. Some 370.000 species have been named so far.

South American indian mythmakers may have sensed the truth behind Haldanes witticism; in addition they neatly put mankind in its proper place in relation to beetles. According to their stories, the Creator was a very large beetle who made men and women from the grains of earth left over after he had constructed the rest of the world. Not only are beetles very many, they are very successful, having adapted to to nearly every environment the planet has to offer--water,land, and air. They also have been around longer than many other insects, longer in fact than most animals now alive. Something very beetle like has been scuttling around for more than 225 million years, ever since Permian times at the end of the Paleozoic era. Wouldnt you know that quite a few of them have developed effective defense mechanisms that deterred predators. The bombadier is only one of the many.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 02:33:15 PM »
And look at how they changed rock and roll.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 02:41:21 PM »
Quesi and Nick, you both have an acute sense of humor..... :laugh:  Humor is manna for the soul, even atheist souls.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »
Don't forget you need to grow a beard, pray 5 times a day, make women feel inferior, and get pissed at "Draw Mo Man Day" on Sunday.

A beard?  Now that is just silly!

I'm already pissed about Draw Day, but that's ok.  An informal survey of Muslim friends, neighbors and colleagues indicates that none of them have even heard of it.

But I will take this all under consideration as I embrace the wonders of intellegent design!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 03:50:05 PM »
And look at how they changed rock and roll.

Just don't put them onto their backs. They can't rock and roll enough to turn over. Not very intelligent design, if you ask me.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 03:56:24 PM »
Bonbardier eh? Anybody fancy a pint?

“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline lomolo

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »
Bonbardier eh? Anybody fancy a pint?

They can make beer out of beetles now?  :-\

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »
I recall a story that Dawkins actually mixed the chemical on stage to debunk this, and the creationist flinched.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 11:28:17 AM »
But you can enjoy beetles as a secret ingredient in your favorite strawberry ice cream, licorice, valentines day heart candy, fruit drink, energy drink, and even jelly.

Since Jan. 5, the FDA has required food manufactures to disclose whether red cochineal beetles are among their products' ingredients. These beetles are farmed, harvested, dried and crushed to produce a red dye called carmine that, until this year, had been disguised in the ingredient list as "artificial color," "color added" or the all-encompassing "natural and artificial coloring." http://www.livescience.com/9251-foods-beetles.html

Read those labels. 

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 02:32:42 PM »
If red cochineal is in the fruit drink, why do people care? Just because it's beetle juice?

I kill me. ;)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline caveat_imperator

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
Oh That Poor Little quan_lee
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
Wonder were the OP has gone? Was the damage he received from the responses so deep that he's been off licking his wounds elsewhere? :laugh:
You can't prove a negative of an existence postulate.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Re: Oh That Poor Little quan_lee
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »
Wonder were the OP has gone? Was the damage he received from the responses so deep that he's been off licking his wounds elsewhere? :laugh:

If he sticks to his usual MO he'll be back, starting another thread, and making more unsupported assertions.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
  Despite what the link states Cochineal are not beetles. They are scale insects. Scale insects belong to the order Hemiptera and beetles belong to the order Coleoptera.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:43:40 PM by mrbiscoop »
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 01:58:51 AM »
Gotta be a poe. Good money in that, probably.

Hmmm, the domain www.rentapoe.com is still free you know.

Guy in suit and tie standing next to a Jesus-fish-necklace-wearing-creationist (who suspiciously looks like Kirk Cameron)
"Do YOU find yourself losing the argument at every turn?
Tired of eating crow all the time?
Do YOU want to get back at THEM, but you're not sure how.
Then come to RENTAPOE.com!"
Switch to the same guy sitting in a fancy office.
"We'll friend them on FB and dumb crap on their timeline.
We'll flood their forums with long debunked tripe!
Tripe so tired that even YOU shirk away from using it.
But now you can watch them squirm WITHOUT any of the guilt. THAT's what we're here for."
Switch to different guy (same ironclad harido, though) in a lab coat.
"Here at RentAPoe we employ the latest in trolling technology to cheese off those darn EVIL-u-tionists.
We make a real effort to ensure that we only us the OLDEST claims.
We check Google to ensure that our claims can be debunked is under two minutes."
He pauses next to the first guy. First guy goes, "It will drive them NUTS! They will be screaming at their screens."
"And," lab coat guy says, "If you subscribe now, we throw in, not one, not two, but THREE tired old Darwin quotemines!"
Back to suit and tie guy, in front of the RentAPoe offices, nodding emphatically, "RentAPoe ... all the fun of trolling but none of the effort, leaving you free to converse with YOUR God!"
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 03:39:59 AM »
You've fallen victim to blindly thinking that since you think someone shares your faith, that means that they would never lead you astray.  This can make you look very foolish.  As a former Christian, I know how hard it is to accept that fellow Christians don't always tell the truth, but unfortunately that can be shown to be the case repeatedly. 

What I still find amusing is that Qwan is dead set against just follwoing the herd and believing things just because someone on your side says it:

.....I notice very little diversity and poor independence. If someone posits that mankind came from a banana peel there is very little resistance to the notion. The whole "group think" is obvious and leads to unwise crowds.....
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?