Author Topic: Success !  (Read 935 times)

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
Success !
« on: May 17, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »
Do you ever have news you really want to share with the entire world but your not really officially allowed to discuss it with the people you want to discuss it with because it's not supposed to be known yet? Well, I do!!!! Seriously, it's killing me so I hope it's okay to let it out here.

I've been trying for about ... 4 years to get a specific promotion. I've always had the opinion that this job was perfect for me and that I had the tools needed to do the job not just properly, but to excel at it. But I was told time and time again that I either didn't interview well, I wasn't qualified, someone more qualified was chosen, etc etc etc. I literally spent years trying to find the right way to interview. I tried the honest approach, I tried the bullshit approach, I tried the I don't give a fuck approach... lol I'm exaggerating a little but my point is I tried everything I could to prove to these people that they wanted me.

A position came up right before my maternity leave but I passed on it because while not illegal, I found it unethical to apply for a job knowing I would be out for 6-8 weeks immediately after taking it[1]. I was asked by two people in authority why I didn't apply this time around and so they were obviously curious about me right?

So shortly after I get back from maternity leave the position opens up again. I apply, and do my best interview to date... and they selected two people other than myself. Again, I was told that I didn't interview well. I've literally beat myself up wondering what was so wrong with me when I knew I could do the job well!!! I contemplated whether I was just on some kinda corporate black list, had pissed off the wrong person, or if my personality was really just that unlikable. This constant rejection really hurt! So, I had lost faith in my corporation and decided I was going to pursue further education[2] and eventually leave[3].

Well, out of NO WHERE, today, with out applying, or interviewing I was FINALLY offered the job I had so desperately lusted after. IDK what changed their minds but I finally got it!!! I couldn't be happier, I finally feel like I'm wanted and appreciated, and also no longer unnoticed.

I really don't understand the corporate politics, why I was overlooked, or why I all of a sudden became qualified. Nothing about me has changed, my performance is the same, and I've not accomplished anything great recently. But for whatever reason they changed their minds! I do wonder why all the BS over the past few years. I guess I should just move that to the past, I've really struggled coming to work everyday to a job I felt under appreciated at; it's been all I could do to not give them the bird and quit.

There are some members here who tried to help me get this job in the past, so I wanted to also share this with those of you from ATT who had tried to prep me for my interviews. This is partially your success too[4]! So, if you weren't one of the ones that helped me in the past thanks for listening to my happy rant any ways!
 1. If I was selected.
 2. Still a plan.
 3. No longer a plan.
 4. Those of you should know who you are.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
Re: Success !
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:29:40 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 04:33:13 PM »
That's wonderful news!!! Congratulations and the best of luck as you move forward in your career.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 04:40:04 PM »
Big congratulations!  That is great news. 

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 04:48:46 PM »
It was god's will. For all those who did not do as well as you did, it was god's won't. ;)

And a baybee!
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:03:03 PM »
It was god's will. For all those who did not do as well as you did, it was god's won't. ;)

And a baybee!

LMAO; I actually bitched about not being able to use that line of reasoning to rationalize their decisions. Instead I decided I just needed a better education.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:03:39 PM »
Congrats.  Seems like that position came up a lot.  I'm sure you will do great.  I hope they recognize it and reward you for it.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 05:11:39 PM »
Congrats.  Seems like that position came up a lot.  I'm sure you will do great.  I hope they recognize it and reward you for it.

About once or twice a year, depending on how many people are selected for other promotions. The company I work for typically only promotes from with in so when they say they have lots of opportunity for advancements they really do mean it. This would be a stopping point for me until I get a degree in something[1].
 1. I don't have much direction.

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 02:23:36 AM »
Congrats, I'm happy for you. I hope you find the fulfilment that you were looking for in this position.
love and truth and love of truth

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 03:22:02 AM »
Congratulations!  It's always good to hear of perseverance and honesty paying off.
.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 03:36:06 AM »
Congratulations Kimberly.

Corporates works in mysterious ways.  ;)

Lets hope that we will soon hear the opposite of "I've not accomplished anything great recently" soon. Wishing you all the best.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 06:32:29 AM »
Congrats Kimberley,

And I have a similar issue in my own career.  My opinion, it's the missing degree.  It's kind of like being openly atheist - we all know it doesn't matter, but it seems to be the one difference between myself, and everyone who has been promoted beyond me.

I am more than half-way to getting a BS in Computer Science.  And since I started so late in life, it's embarrassing how easy it is.  I feel like I'm learning things that a sixth grader should know.  And this ends up reinforcing my belief that degrees should not make any difference at all when considering someone for a position.  It should be about their ability to do the job.  But somehow, that nagging feeling won't go away, so I plod ahead with the degree plan.

And yes, all of the management people involved in my career have told me that it is not the degree.  Right.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 07:44:08 AM »
Congrats!
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 08:00:54 AM »
Jetson

I can't say with any certainty that the people promoted before me had a degree. To be honest I really don't know most of them personally. But I agree that it probably played a big part in it. The job itself doesn't require a degree but if they have two candidates and only one has a degree, they are going to pick that candidate. IMO

My Fiance is a "part time" supervisor at his job. Which really just means he comes in to work 1-2 hours later than the full time supervisors. He isn't able to become a full time supervisor because he doesn't have a degree. But on a day to day basis he does the same job they do[1]. The pay is SIGNIFICANTLY different, almost obscenely different, and rather insulting to his performance. But we find comic relief in the fact that one of guys who is a full time supervisor's degree is in theater. You just kinda gotta throw your hands up and say wow!

I agree with you 100% that a degree often time makes no difference at all. The main reason I decided it was good for me is because if I leave my company I have to start out entry level at a new company. They pay cut would be devastating, but because I don't have a degree I can't just walk in some where and expect anything but entry level. I need some kind of a reinsurance for my family that I can continue to support them if I lose this job. The degree sounded like the best option and would open up more doors in the process if I decided to stay at my current job.[2]

My only dilemma is math. It's an old foe of mine and fear I will suck so badly that I don't know if I will be able to overcome it. I also don't have any idea what I should study, because there's nothing I WANT to do in life. A job is just a means to an end for me so I'm having a hard time figuring out which degree to go for. 
 1. And Often picks up their slack.
 2. Which obviously I will now.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 08:03:05 AM »
"I've not accomplished anything great recently" soon.

I shouldn't have really said that. I'm often more critical of myself than I should be. I recently got an amazingly sweet compliment from a customer that she had sent to my boss. I just doubt that it played much of a role in any of this.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 11:19:08 PM »
Congrats Kimberly. The last time I got promoted was in the military 40 years ago. And that was almost automatic.

Find the easiest thing out there to get a degree in if that's what you need. Other than philosophy. That makes people giggle. Anything else will impress those a degree is intended to impress. The rest of the planet knows that a degree isn't as important as all that.

There is nothing wrong with knowledge, of course. But there are more sources than just college.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 12:35:26 AM »
Kim, congrats. You stuck it out and it worked for you. You go girl.

Oooh!... you hurt me when you said that you are bad at math. You are bad at math because you believe that you are bad at math. A lot of people have that same disposition. I can get on a soap box here because I am a math enthusiast and part time tutor. Math is not only incredibly useful, it is actually loads of fun. If you have ever liked games or puzzles, then math is right down your alley.  Perhaps you  never  had a teacher who showed you how essential, interesting, and fun the subject is. If we lived near one another I swear I would have you solving quadratic equations within three weeks. You are smart enough to hold a job and smart enough to use your computer, you type well and use the english language quite satisfactorily, so dammit dont tell us that you are a math dummy.

Kim I am certainly not scolding you, it is just that I sincerely wish to disabuse you of the notion that there is something that you can not do well. Imagine this scenario....You deliberatey let your supervisor catch you screwing off with a scratch paper full of numbers and symbols like radicals, and exponents and maybe a few trig functions. That would surely cause them to revise their opinion of your capability.  Show biz is good biz.

Want to play a corny little game?  Do this for me......Open any book at random, somewhere near the front of the book.  Write down the page number of the left hand page, write the number of the right hand page, now turn the page and write down the number of the new left hand page. You have written three consecutive numbers. Add the three numbers together. Now tell me what the result of the addition is . I will tell you the page numbers that you have used and I will show you how you can impress your innumerate friends with this simple trick. I'll be back tomorrow to see if you chose to play the game.

Alright you smarty pants others, I know that you know how to do this really easy one. most of you can do it in your head. Kim can too. And I hope that I am not in trouble for steering this thread off into left field.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 08:59:50 AM »
I will play your game in a min. Still trying to wake up a drink my red bull.

I'm not upset or offened by your analysis. I will try to tell my story as short as possible. I was in the above average math class in third grade. So for arguments sake before mid year third grade I was okay. I didn't hate math. Now then at this time by mom's abusive alcoholic drug addicted pharmacists husband decided to torment me. Coincidentally at the same time the neighborhood boys decided to harrass and bully me. Needless to say I hated life and then they introduced multiplication. I naturally struggled with so much on my plate. When the last person who could help me, my teacher, lost faith in me. She thought I should be demoted to the "stupid[1] " class. This just really pissed me off. So I said to myself, "I'll show her.[2] I will intentionally not learn her stupid multiplication and that will show her! " . It made sense at the time but all I did was prevent myself from learning something fundamental for the rest of my education. I tried to catch up but I can't seem to retain the informational for longer that it takes to pass the test. It feels like Im only memorizing short term data and never developing the skill.

So that's my math story. I will come back to this thread to play your game when I'm more awake.

Edit: To fix my Kindle's auto correct.
 1. That's what I told myself it was called and why I used the verbiage.
 2. my only place in life to take control.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:08:55 AM by Kimberly »

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »
Congrats Kimberly. The last time I got promoted was in the military 40 years ago. And that was almost automatic.

Find the easiest thing out there to get a degree in if that's what you need. Other than philosophy. That makes people giggle. Anything else will impress those a degree is intended to impress. The rest of the planet knows that a degree isn't as important as all that.

There is nothing wrong with knowledge, of course. But there are more sources than just college.

Do you have any specific "looks good on paper" degree choices? I work in admin, data entry, and customer service with no desire to supervise.

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 09:21:46 AM »
Find the easiest thing out there to get a degree in if that's what you need. Other than philosophy. That makes people giggle.

Why not?  A degree in theater's proven to be effective, despite the giggle factor.  : )
.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »
Poseidon

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 09:52:03 AM »
I was just secondhand scolded by Poseidon since I think I suck at mathematics too. But I'm geeking a bit to see Pos guess your number, Kim.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 09:54:43 AM »
I was just secondhand scolded by Poseidon since I think I suck at mathematics too. But I'm geeking a bit to see Pos guess your number, Kim.

I was trying to prefigure out the formula before he got back so I could tell him I figured it out first.... Then my head hurt.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 09:56:40 AM »
I was trying to prefigure out the formula before he got back so I could tell him I figured it out first.... Then my head hurt.

I'm doing the same thing right now. I have Google at my fingertips, but I REALLY want to figure this out on my own. It seems so...simple.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »
It's not guessing the number :p

Can give you a clue if you like?
love and truth and love of truth

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 10:03:59 AM »
Zan , there's no spoiler tag here so don't read this if you don't want to.

Divide the # by 3. It gives you the 2nd number. Subtract 1, it gives you the first number. Add one it gives you the third number?
Am I right?

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 10:13:16 AM »
I just came up with the same result. Can't be that easy, eh? I demand a mind boggling math problem from Pos.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 10:17:27 AM »
^ Ditto!!!  ;D

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »
Zan , there's no spoiler tag here so don't read this if you don't want to.

Divide the # by 3. It gives you the 2nd number. Subtract 1, it gives you the first number. Add one it gives you the third number?
Am I right?

Wow! Didn't know a scrolling marquee would work inside a quote!

And you claim to be bad in math, Kimberly?

As it goes, the challenge Pos had given shows that the sum of three consecutive integers will always be divisible by three. {Proof: (x-1) + (x) + (x+1) = 3x, meaning the sum will be a multiple of three}. See if the the trick would work for more than three consecutive numbers.