Author Topic: Romney/Secret Service/President  (Read 749 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
Romney/Secret Service/President
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »
I was thinking about Romney.  If he becomes president he will need secret service protection at all times.  You are not allowed into a Mormon temple if you are not Mormon.  I wonder how that will work for the people protecting the president?  Even if he can find some Mormon secret service people their are levels of the temple that you cannot go to until you have that level or knowledge.  Might be interesting to see how that all works out.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
Re: Romney/Secret Service/President
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
More to the point. The fundies are always harping on about how often or not Obama goes to church. Will they be as interested in how often Romney goes to his temple and prays to his mormon god? Could he have a temple placed somewhere in the White House? How would that go down amongst gods "chosen" messengers?
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 02:13:32 PM »
Interesting thought.  I don't know very much about Mormonism.  What is in the temple?  Would it make more sense to recreate one in some spare room in the White House and import the appropriate clergy and enough adherents to make worship fun?  Or would the secret service have a special "temple unit" composed of appropriate Mormons? Or maybe the president's entourage would get a free pass in the temple.

But let's hope that these are not questions we will need answers to any time soon. 

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 02:28:51 PM »
hmmm, shouldn't a TrueChristiantm or a TrueMormontm not need a security detail since God is looking out for them?
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline eye over you

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:31:25 PM »
  What is in the temple? 

When I was 13 yrs. old, I did baptisms for the dead in the St. George, UT temple. A lot of young people in the church do this. The temples are incredibly beautiful inside. The baptismal font was a trip. It was pretty big with golden cow heads coming out all around the bottom. Wow, I haven't even thought about it in 30 yrs. My mother is still active and goes to the Las Vegas temple. She won't discuss the "sacred" rituals that go on there. I've heard that some are not unlike Freemason rituals. Maybe I'll call her and ask her take on the OP.
     I know my mother has mentioned Secret Service people that are Mormon though.
Don't let your mouth write checks that your ass can't cash.

Offline eye over you

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »
hmmm, shouldn't a TrueChristiantm or a TrueMormontm not need a security detail since God is looking out for them?

Maybe he can order some magic Mormon underwear that are made of Kevlar??  :D

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »
  You are not allowed into a Mormon temple if you are not Mormon.

My teenage daughter has friend who is Mormon. My daughter used to play on their girl’s basketball team, even went to their so called basketball camp for several weeks during a few summers. She was invited and attended their services multiple times on Sundays. I don't know if Sunday services are held in "a Temple" or some other structure, but my daughter did go into the worship building. I do not know enough about Mormons and their rituals so I wonder exactly what type of building they took my daughter to if she would not be allowed into their temple.

Several other comments; it was okay for my daughter to attend their services but their daughter was forbidden to go into my daughter's Catholic Church. Also their services lasted for like 3 hours and my daughter described it more like a social than a service.

PS, my daughter is very doubtful of a Supreme Being and says only goes to church with my wife to keep her company. My wife on the other hand likes church and it would be detrimental and hopeless for me to try sand convince her otherwise. Although; I keep planting seeds.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline eye over you

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »
I don't know if Sunday services are held in "a Temple" or some other structure, but my daughter did go into the worship building. I do not know enough about Mormons and their rituals so I wonder exactly what type of building they took my daughter to if she would not be allowed into their temple.

Regular Sunday services are held in a regular "chapel" and they are 3 hrs. long. You have to be a member in good standing and pass a couple of interviews to go into a temple.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 03:11:14 PM »
My understanding is that the State Dept. CIA and Secret Service recruit heavily from the LDS. These young people are clean-cut, have very few skeletons in their closets, are patriotic, have traveled abroad and speak foreign languages. It is easier to get them past all the security clearances. They are also usually quite willing to lie for a cause they believe in. :police:

I don't know about how to get them into the higher levels of the LDS services where Mormon mucky-mucks like Romney hang out.  :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 03:20:13 PM »
My understanding is that the State Dept. CIA and Secret Service recruit heavily from the LDS. These young people are clean-cut, have very few skeletons in their closets, are patriotic, have traveled abroad and speak foreign languages. It is easier to get them past all the security clearances. They are also usually quite willing to lie for a cause they believe in. :police:

I don't know about how to get them into the higher levels of the LDS services where Mormon mucky-mucks like Romney hang out.  :?

There are plenty of ways they could do that.  I mean, just off the top of my head, do you think they'd have any problem taking one of their regular agents, giving him an appropriate cover story, and training him so that he would appear to be a regular next-door-neighbor Mormon?  I very much doubt it.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn