Author Topic: Fight or Flight ... How Do We Respond to Religious Idiocy ...  (Read 1441 times)

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
Re: Fight or Flight ... How Do We Respond to Religious Idiocy ...
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 02:37:03 AM »
The content of the Times on a slow day is 'God is dead!!'.  But yeah, I agree - you british are somehow handling the 'waking up from religion thing' way better than americans.  I would posture that it is because it's not cool in britain to be dumb, where it is cool in the american school system to not be a nerd...
Haha! Yeah. I'm at a school that has Christ in it's name, it's a charitable private school and one of the best in the country (I pay barely any fees, as do 80% of the students). I  reckon at least 70% of this school are atheist. We debate religion with theists after marching into lunch in the Dining Hall and go to chapel, and rip the chaplain apart afterwards in large groups. We've gone through 3 in the last 4 years, because the last one couldn't handle the pressure of explaining himself to a load of 16 year olds better versed in philosophy than he was. Just observing how few people even cross themselves in chapel is good evidence that most of the school are barely religious.

The difference between our school and a good american faith school is that American schools attempt to teach intelligent design in the classrooms, while here in the UK we learn that in Theology and Philosophy lessons.

My school responds incredibly to religious idiocy, and even the Chaplain got involved in our recent sexual health week, and gave a speech in Chapel about the merits of loving relationships and didn't even take the opportunity to teach us how evil women are!

It's all great signs of religious forward thinking, and indeed there are only two or three crazies I can think of at this school, including one evangelical pupil who nobody talks to because all she ever talks about is God; and two fundamentalist Christian teachers (one teaches maths and the other Biology...). The Biology teacher teaches evolution and then tells us he thinks it is bollocks, more in a jokey way, and then the philosophers in the class rip him to pieces. The maths teacher is prohibited from speaking in Chapel anymore because he told us all we were going to hell and couldn't do anything about it.

This all shows that given the right teaching, inquisitive minds will learn how to question religion. The fact that we are required to take Theology and Philosophy is great, as it is an in depth discussion of the existential questions with no bias religiously or atheistically, and as a result more people than usual see the fallacy inherent in religion.

I take pride in the fact that in future, this large percentage of atheists is going to be a load of people high up in the country. One of my best friends is so good at maths, he's doing Cambridge and Oxford level past exam papers and getting near to 100%, he's still 16. My Girlfriend, if she gets her grades, wil be going to one of the best universities in the world for English. I know people who aspire to be prime-minister, and one of them I will eat my hat if he isn't... I know people wanting to be research chemists, entrepreneurs, nuclear physicists working at CERN and barristers. All of them are strongly atheist.

Here at least, things are going the right way. I hope that is a tiny source of comfort to some of you guys trapped in a world of insanity.

Hell, just looking at comments posted on BBC News online vs. comments posted on Yahoo news online tells the whole story of which nation has more brains...  I need to be a zombie  :)

As I described above, the UK looks like it will be okay. I am sure though, that one day the USA will be just as secular. It just requires patience and diligence on our part to make sure we push for a better society, that is fair and just and not based on stupidly outdated moral codes and fervour for an omnipresent dick.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »
Now I have to say fight, only with restraint(s) that we are trying to help the other party instead of fighting against them....   :police:
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline madame_zora

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »
I am self-admittedly hyper-vigilant. I sit at restaurants where I can see the exits. I feel protective of the weak, even those I don't know. I have two pitbulls, but if there's any verbal confrontations, they run and hide. They don't like drama, haha.

We are in a serious situation, at a time that coincides (by chance or arrangement barely matters now) with a change in Ages, as believed of old. It doesn't make one damn bit of difference if its real or not, it only matters what the people in positions of authority believe. THAT and only that is what I'm interested in discovering. Whoever is in charge, wants this. My questions is this- why? What profit does she/he/it hope to gain if it can own the whole world, only to watch it blow up? Is there some religious quackery or reality behind any of this?

So, detach with love. Separate yourself from evil to the extent that it is possible in your own circumstances. Do what is good to your fellows in your communities, and make of yourselves a pleasure to know as you travel.  Resist evil with a stout heart, and do not fall into oppression without valor. Surround yourselves with those who prefer to love, and let your small circle be your world until this passes over. Don't neglect your civic duties, but be realistic at each step as to your own possible impact. Re-evaluate often. Stay aware, read a variety of news sources as all are so opinionated. Make yourself wise, grow in your own knowledge, make yourself ready for whatever comes next. Then be flexible, and let it flow right through.
"Reality isn't something we invented to embarrass religious people." ~ captainmanacles

"Looking forward to a continuation of already-eternal life as myriad wandering  atoms doing interesting stuff." ~ Astreja

http://madamezoratoo.blogspot.com/

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +194/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 08:04:56 AM »
I am self-admittedly hyper-vigilant. I sit at restaurants where I can see the exits.

How would you distinguish your hyper-vigilance from paranoia? 

I feel protective of the weak, even those I don't know.

It's presumptuous to think of others as weak, especially the people you don't know.

It doesn't make one damn bit of difference if its real or not, it only matters what the people in positions of authority believe.

Actually, now that small groups can get their hands on WMD's, it matters what everyone believes now more than ever.  This is one of the reasons that religion needs to go away forever.  It is the biggest threat to our survival as a species. 

So, detach with love.

I'm not sure what that means.

Separate yourself from evil to the extent that it is possible in your own circumstances.

Evil isn't a thing.  It's an adjective we use to describe something on the good/bad continuum.  That being said, I do understand what you're trying to say here.   

Do what is good to your fellows in your communities, and make of yourselves a pleasure to know as you travel.  Resist evil with a stout heart, and do not fall into oppression without valor. Surround yourselves with those who prefer to love, and let your small circle be your world until this passes over. Don't neglect your civic duties, but be realistic at each step as to your own possible impact. Re-evaluate often. Stay aware, read a variety of news sources as all are so opinionated. Make yourself wise, grow in your own knowledge, make yourself ready for whatever comes next. Then be flexible, and let it flow right through.

I like most of that. Some decent advice in there. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »
I am self-admittedly hyper-vigilant.

We each are different. I would rather spend my whole life unvigilant and eventually get shot in the back by a bad guy then spend my whole hyper-vigilant and never have anything happen. I consider fear a waste of time unless I'm actually being shot at.

My mother was like you. She was always afraid. She constantly warned me of things that could maim or kill or cause indigestion. It didn't stop her from smoking or drinking though, which led to the heart condition that killed her. I do hope you have a healthier lifestyle from which to watch everything.

This isn't a criticism. I just wanted you to know that there are other ways to live.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »
I'm rarely afraid of where I am, but I am always aware of my surroundings and who comes and goes. I often memorize my way to an exit just in case the building catches on fire, for example.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 05:10:58 AM »
You mean you don't cover your eyes and ask a stranger to lead you into the building like we all do?
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline jsmacks

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 08:34:07 AM »
Americans buy cars because it's just what you do the structure of every town and city requires you to have a car. Chinese people buy cars because it's what Americans do.
Sorry, had to fix that one...  Obviously you've never had to use public transit in a major american city.  Taking the bus takes 2-3 hours, cab costs 40-50 dollars one way, if there's a trax, you have to take the bus to that, all in all takes 2 hours to get anywhere.  Then sometimes you have to take a cab as well.  Public transit in america sucks - that's why we all have cars.  The entire structure of housing and businesses is designed around the idea of a spread-out city, making cars a necessity..  Right now used car prices are up from people buying cheaper cars, btw..  I have found cars coming from the Asias to be particularly well-built with quality parts when compared to american 'contenders'...

Yeah. NYC was the only American city I've been to that has a great public transportation system.   Los Angeles system is ok.   Everywhere else I've been in the states, the cities are set up so where u really need a car.   They even got rid of a our public busing system in the county I live in the suburbs of Atlanta. Most people down here don't mind because all they know is having to depend on a car.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »
Yeah. NYC was the only American city I've been to that has a great public transportation system.   Los Angeles system is ok.   Everywhere else I've been in the states, the cities are set up so where u really need a car.

The Metro DC area is reasonably manageable without a car.  If you live in the District itself or in Maryland, public transportation covers just about everywhere, but connections can sometimes be time-consuming.  Public transportation on the Virginia side, however, is the pits.

Honolulu also has an extensive and fairly inexpensive bus system, but there is no mass transit, so public transportation there is at the mercy of the appalling state of the traffic system in general.  I left Honolulu in January of 1992, and it was bad enough back then.  With the addition of nearly 100,000 people in the past twenty years, I can only imagine what kind of a mess it must be now.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »
The Metro DC area is reasonably manageable without a car.  If you live in the District itself or in Maryland, public transportation covers just about everywhere, but connections can sometimes be time-consuming.  Public transportation on the Virginia side, however, is the pits.

Agreed. I suspect we spend more north of the Potomac.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Gill

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +5/-58
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2012, 07:45:39 PM »
Do you believe in individual sovereignty as opposed to a massive centralized bureaucracy?  If so, then conservatives aren't your problem.