Author Topic: Is Christianity Really Just Idolatry?  (Read 320 times)

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
Is Christianity Really Just Idolatry?
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »
Christians, like most other theists, differentiate between worshipping an acutal god and worshipping a hunk of wood, stone, artwork, etc.  Christians, in general, say they believe they are actually worshipping the invisible wizard king of the universe. 

But if you look at Christianity, it comes down to 2 basic concepts:

1. The Bible is magically true.  At least some of it. 

2. Jesus is magically god. At least some times.

Let's take #1 first.  Christians are stuck with the Bible since it is the most well-known and accepted book about Jesus.  In many evangelical Christian churches, the members all carry Bibles to every service, even though the preacher is there to read it for them.  And even the non-fundamental, so-called liberal theologians will cite many Bible passages they love.  The same theologians will admit that god is vastly cosmic and most unknowable to humans.  I submit to you that if god is unknowable and invisible, but you are carrying a magic book around and quoting from if for magic wisdom, in reality, you are worshipping the book, and not the invisible untouchable god. 

Now for #2: Christians all say they love Jesus and that Jesus is somehow magic.  Christians say they pray to Jesus.  Well, how do Christians know what Jesus looks like? The answer is that they imagine Jesus based on the pictures they were shown of Jesus when they were children.  And since there were no photographs of Jesus taken while alive, and there are no known portraits created in his lifetime, all pictures of Jesus are fanciful.  Christians who visualize Jesus when they pray are really praying to a created idol based on imaginary images. 

Now, a Christian might say he is not imagining a visual Jesus when he prays, but that he is instead conjuring up a concept of Jesus based on his reading of the Gospels.  Well, even if this dubious claim is so, then the Christian is actually worshipping his magic book again...so that is idol worship either way. 

The point is, the charactheristics modern humans attribute to Biblegod, universiality, invisibility, perfection, etc. make Biblegod impossible for humans to mentally hold in their head.  Consequently, they will worship symbols instead, magic crosses they put around their necks, magic books, magic statures, etc.

It's all idoloatry, just like the other religions.   
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:58:23 PM by flapdoodle64 »

Offline Lessetti

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Is Christianity Really Just Idolatry?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 06:18:04 AM »
listen, in case you accidentally pick up a copy of the US Constitution and start reading instead of asking someone to read it for you, the bible is considered a book of law to people who truly believe in it, if you are trusting a guy to dictate the law books to you and you believe that they will give you the full thing, or even the correct thing, then you are a simplistic moron who has far too much faith in human nature. If a congressman walked up to you and told you that there is a law in place that you must get on your knees and suck him off in public upon request, would you believe him or want to see the paperwork yourself?
People have many different ways that they imagine God, no definitive way is given to all forms of Christian, God is God period.
Now by the definition from dictionary.reference.com "excessive or blind adoration, reverence, devotion, etc." yes, it is idolatry. We don't worship the book, we worship the one we think dictated it to the men that wrote it.
And when you throw in the word magically, you make yourself sound like an asinine moron to those who you are currently describing, first off magic is considered the work of the Devil, we use the word miracle(s), Miraculously, etc. And second, Jesus is described as either the son of God, or at least his human incarnation. They don't give him a physical description, and I don't know what Church you went to, but in the church I was raised in, the paintings were there for appearance, to look the part, yes, shallow and materialistic, we just wanted to make sure the non-Christians knew. I have no idea what Christians you were talking to maybe they were raised a different way or whatever, but at least my Christianity does not boil down to what you described.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 06:21:01 AM »
first off magic is considered the work of the Devil, we use the word miracle(s), Miraculously, etc

Splitting hairs only work when they're actually different concepts. A miracle is something that breaks the laws of physics. Magic is something that breaks the laws of physics. Miracles are magical.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Online Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 06:40:47 AM »
Miracles are magical.

Oh noes. Jesus is Lucifer. That explains everything.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
listen, in case you accidentally pick up a copy of the US Constitution and start reading instead of asking someone to read it for you, the bible is considered a book of law to people who truly believe in it, if you are trusting a guy to dictate the law books to you and you believe that they will give you the full thing, or even the correct thing, then you are a simplistic moron who has far too much faith in human nature.

Welcome to the forum, Lessetti.  You clearly have a lot of thoughts and opinions that you want to share with us, and I know many of us are looking forward to learning more about you and your belief systems. 

Please do us a favor and help us out.  The sentence I quoted here is a really complex sentence, with a lot of content, and a lot of dependent and independent clauses.  If I were asked to find the main subject and the main verb in this sentence, I'm not sure that I could. 

I know that when I feel passionately about something, I tend to ramble, and jam too many complex thoughts into a single sentence.  And when I do that, often people don't understand the main point I am trying to make. 

We want to understand the points that you are trying to make, so it would be great if you could be a little aware of how many concepts and clauses you pack into a single sentence. 

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 08:01:14 AM »
listen, in case you accidentally pick up a copy of the US Constitution and start reading instead of asking someone to read it for you, the bible is considered a book of law to people who truly believe in it,

Argument Ad Hom, followed by rather obvious non sequitur

if you are trusting a guy to dictate the law books to you and you believe that they will give you the full thing, or even the correct thing, then you are a simplistic moron who has far too much faith in human nature. If a congressman walked up to you and told you that there is a law in place that you must get on your knees and suck him off in public upon request, would you believe him or want to see the paperwork yourself?

still pretty much non sequitur

People have many different ways that they imagine God, no definitive way is given to all forms of Christian, God is God period.

Non Sequitur, (weak implied) Appeal to Popularity, and Tautology.

Now by the definition from dictionary.reference.com "excessive or blind adoration, reverence, devotion, etc." yes, it is idolatry. We don't worship the book, we worship the one we think dictated it to the men that wrote it.

No true Scotsman

And when you throw in the word magically, you make yourself sound like an asinine moron to those who you are currently describing, first off magic is considered the work of the Devil, we use the word miracle(s), Miraculously, etc.

Poisoning the Well, No true Scotsman

And second, Jesus is described as either the son of God, or at least his human incarnation. They don't give him a physical description, and I don't know what Church you went to, but in the church I was raised in, the paintings were there for appearance, to look the part, yes, shallow and materialistic, we just wanted to make sure the non-Christians knew. I have no idea what Christians you were talking to maybe they were raised a different way or whatever, but at least my Christianity does not boil down to what you described.

No true Scotsman

Your argument is a fallacy driven mess.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 08:14:01 AM »
yes, shallow and materialistic, we just wanted to make sure the non-Christians knew. I have no idea what Christians you were talking to maybe they were raised a different way or whatever, but at least my Christianity does not boil down to what you described.

That's a great description of christianity right there man....good job Lessetti !

And imagine that ! It's followed up with the "I'm a True ChristianTM" claim.

Stick around Lessetti, you're quite insightful  ;)

Cheers
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 08:24:35 AM »
first off magic is considered the work of the Devil, we use the word miracle(s), Miraculously, etc

Splitting hairs only work when they're actually different concepts. A miracle is something that breaks the laws of physics. Magic is something that breaks the laws of physics. Miracles are magical.

Magical / Miracle

They look and sound so much alike; is it coincidence?

Welcome back.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 08:54:03 AM »
Christians, like most other theists, differentiate between worshipping an acutal god and worshipping a hunk of wood, stone, artwork, etc.  Christians, in general, say they believe they are actually worshipping the invisible wizard king of the universe. 

But if you look at Christianity, it comes down to 2 basic concepts:

1. The Bible is magically true.  At least some of it. 

2. Jesus is magically god. At least some times.

Let's take #1 first.  Christians are stuck with the Bible since it is the most well-known and accepted book about Jesus.  In many evangelical Christian churches, the members all carry Bibles to every service, even though the preacher is there to read it for them.  And even the non-fundamental, so-called liberal theologians will cite many Bible passages they love.  The same theologians will admit that god is vastly cosmic and most unknowable to humans.  I submit to you that if god is unknowable and invisible, but you are carrying a magic book around and quoting from if for magic wisdom, in reality, you are worshipping the book, and not the invisible untouchable god. 
From Urban Dictionary

4.  bible  24461 up, 16888 down
 May 20, 2012 Urban Word of the Day
An ancient novel full of murder, corruption, homosexuality, bestiality, incest and cruelty. It is often read to children on Sunday.

Now for #2: Christians all say they love Jesus and that Jesus is somehow magic.  Christians say they pray to Jesus.  Well, how do Christians know what Jesus looks like? The answer is that they imagine Jesus based on the pictures they were shown of Jesus when they were children.  And since there were no photographs of Jesus taken while alive, and there are no known portraits created in his lifetime, all pictures of Jesus are fanciful.  Christians who visualize Jesus when they pray are really praying to a created idol based on imaginary images. 

Now, a Christian might say he is not imagining a visual Jesus when he prays, but that he is instead conjuring up a concept of Jesus based on his reading of the Gospels.  Well, even if this dubious claim is so, then the Christian is actually worshipping his magic book again...so that is idol worship either way. 

The point is, the charactheristics modern humans attribute to Biblegod, universiality, invisibility, perfection, etc. make Biblegod impossible for humans to mentally hold in their head.  Consequently, they will worship symbols instead, magic crosses they put around their necks, magic books, magic statures, etc.

It's all idoloatry, just like the other religions.
Yes, it all comes down to worshipping symbols, because there is No Real God to worship!
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.