Author Topic: new moral value: coat hangers  (Read 1335 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
new moral value: coat hangers
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:42:10 PM »
They're like, 'Well, the poor pitiful women that can't afford to go out of state are just going to start doing them at home with a coat hanger.' That's what we've heard over and over and over.

"But hey, you have to have moral values. You have to start somewhere, and that’s what we've decided to do. This became law and the governor signed it, and I think for one time, we were first in the nation in the state of Mississippi."

http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/14/11702049-mississippi-lawmaker-coat-hanger-abortions-might-come-back-but-hey

and then, when asked about his glee about the coathangers, oh it wasn't him who started it.

I got a chance to ask Representative Carpenter about the coat hanger part today. "That was what a lot of our critics on the House floor said during the debate," he told me. "That was just some language that some of the African-Americans used." A few white Democrats also spoke out about the old "home remedies," he remembered, but in the end the measure passed with support from several Democrats.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: new moral value: coat hangers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »
I would appreciate the opportunity to see him demonstrate the coat hanger procedure in one of his own orifices. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 03:00:38 PM »
We are devolving.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 03:14:21 PM »
I would appreciate the opportunity to see him demonstrate the coat hanger procedure in one of his own orifices.

I'll volunteer to perform it myself.  Hmmm, there's the through the nose and whip up the brain into a froth to be pulled out a la the ancient egyptians. But that supposes he has a brain.  I guess it'll have to be through the ass and play infinite magic scarves with his intestines.  >:(
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »
Well, it is settled then.  Velkyn is going to Mississippi!  Summon the airship. 

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:09:14 AM »
Indeed, summon the fleet! :)

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »
AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!! These people are talking about women's LIVES!!! I never, ever, ever use the f word, but FUCK THEM ALL TO HELL!!!!!!!! >:( I'm old enough to remember coat hanger abortions and it makes me WEEP to think of them coming back. Damn it. I can NOT believe this is happening in the 21st century.  >:(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »
AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!! These people are talking about women's LIVES!!! I never, ever, ever use the f word, but FUCK THEM ALL TO HELL!!!!!!!! >:( I'm old enough to remember coat hanger abortions and it makes me WEEP to think of them coming back. Damn it. I can NOT believe this is happening in the 21st century.  >:(

You must really hate coat hangers...got a good reason?
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 09:11:16 AM »

You must really hate coat hangers...got a good reason?

Are you serious? Is this a joke? Or do you not know that when abortion was illegal women would stick coat hangers up into their bodies to try to trigger an abortion. Did you not know that these women often died from infection or bleeding? Abortion has been around for millenia. Laws don't make it go away. It just kills the women who can't get them safely. No, I do not take this lightly. If you are joking, stop it. It is not funny.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 09:18:10 AM »

Are you serious? Is this a joke? Or do you not know that when abortion was illegal women would stick coat hangers up into their bodies to try to trigger an abortion. Did you not know that these women often died from infection or bleeding? Abortion has been around for millenia. Laws don't make it go away. It just kills the women who can't get them safely. No, I do not take this lightly. If you are joking, stop it. It is not funny.

I see no reason for this to be a joke. I did not know that coat hangers were associated with abortion, although the world is still overpopulated even now, so at least it helped slow down that process. So many people waste time with war when they could be helping with stuff like infection and diseases.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:22:45 AM »
I did not know that coat hangers were associated with abortion

Reminds me of an ad I saw in a magazine once.  It had a picture of a coat hanger, and the caption said, "To some of our daughters, this looks like a coat hanger.  Please help keep it that way."
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 09:25:59 AM »
...I did not know that coat hangers were associated with abortion...

I am really trying to believe that you didn't mean to insult or harm anyone, but since this thread has mentioned coat hanger abortions several times, its very difficult. What did you think "doing it at home with a coat hanger" meant?

pianodwarf, I loved that ad. So sad to think it may no longer be true.  :(

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 09:29:21 AM »
That does sound painful, it is obviously so unfortunate that no one would help them. If people wanted to help them, wouldn't they do it already? A lot of people just complain about it but do nothing.
-Thomas Szasz

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
That does sound painful, it is obviously so unfortunate that no one would help them. If people wanted to help them, wouldn't they do it already? A lot of people just complain about it but do nothing.

it's not just painful, it can and will kill. 

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 10:11:20 AM »

it's not just painful, it can and will kill.

Oh, sometimes it just causes infections or infertility or damage that makes all future sexual relationships physically painful.  Sometimes, late in a pregnancy, it harms, but does not kill the fetus, and the woman gives birth to a child with permanent physical or developmental damage. 

Doesn't always kill.  Many women alive today survived it.  Thanks to the existence of legal, safe abortions, here in the US most of the women who survived it are senior citizens, well past their childbearing years. 

But this gentlemen chuckles about introducing this horror to a whole new generation of women in his state. 

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 10:16:36 AM »
velkyn, this thread reminded me of a moving post from Gimpy back in 2010. Took me a while but I found it.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
velkyn, this thread reminded me of a moving post from Gimpy back in 2010. Took me a while but I found it.

I remember that one.  How tragic. 

makes me even more want to destroy those who would make women have no choices.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 05:56:36 PM »
Fortunately with the advent of the internet, other effective (non-invasive) methods are sure to be spread.  So the information about how to end a pregnancy with common plants will still be available, no matter what.  Including step-by-step instructions.  Of course, poisonings are VERY possible this way, too, since many of them can cause a nasty shock to the system, and dosage can be variable according many factors.

For instance, Google "abortifacient herbs". 
http://www.google.com/search?q=abortifacient+herbs

Pomegranates.  Not eating the fruit.  Eating the rinds, seeds, etc.  Animal studies show it to be effective.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomegranate

Or Tansy. Tansy seeds are available, though these are not native to America.  Classical use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanacetum_vulgare

Or Pennyroyal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennyroyal

Or a lot of other things....

I would rather they turn to something like the 'morning after' pill, even compared to 'the pill'.  Better only to be on a med when you need it, than always be on meds, whether you need them or not. 

But in a pinch, with the clock ticking and NO OTHER OPTION, it would be better to find relatively safe, effective, natural abortifacients and spread the most 'fool-proof' recipes (along with overdose symptoms), than have no other way out besides suicide.

Though removing ALL social stigma from pregnancy and changing society to better take care of unwed mothers and babies would be even more preferable.

Wouldn't it be nice if young women could carry a baby to term, and not be made a social pariah?  Even raise them without it 'ruining their lives'? 

Unfortunately, the many of the same religious people who decry abortion want to JUDGE those women, too.  Make the world HELL for them.  They want to force them to carry a baby to term, then live with the consequences, with no support.  After all, under-educated, drop-out, impoverished women will flock to the church for their 'help'.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 08:10:49 AM »
indeed those are dangerous since herbs can vary in strength and are not standarized.  I do keep a gardenfull of such things as tansy and pennyroyal, as well as other herbs, just in case they are needed. 

ping, you've brought up a very good point.  Society seems to want to villify pregnant women and then their children if they are somehow not in an acceptable relationship but are not willing to give safe options for eliminating the supposed "problem".

Offline pingnak

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
Yep.  The 'god of mercy and compassion' sez they should be stoned (in a bad way). 

Don't send that blastocyst a packin' with a 'morning after' pill! 

Carry it to term and be a martyr!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 01:01:54 AM »
As someone once said to a pro-lifer who thinks in the same vein as the topic at hand: your mother should've aborted you...{added by Nam}...with a clothes hanger!

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey