Author Topic: The Bible Says Being Fat is a Sin  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Dynamic

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • A Young Atheist
The Bible Says Being Fat is a Sin
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »
So I was on Facebook. I saw another christian rant on how being a homosexual is bad. Later in that conversation, someone said that Gluttony is a sin in god's eyes.

Seriously? It's a sin to eat a lot. What about people with eating disabilities and others?

This is what they posted:
"Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags.” Proverbs 28:7 declares, “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.” Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”
Also:
Physical appetites are an analogy of our ability to control ourselves. If we are unable to control our eating habits, we are probably also unable to control other habits, such as those of the mind (lust, covetousness, anger) and unable to keep our mouths from gossip or strife. We are not to let our appetites control us, but we are to have control over our appetites. (See Deuteronomy 21:20; Proverbs 23:2; 2 Peter 1:5-7; 2 Timothy 3:1-9; and 2 Corinthians 10:5.) The ability to say “no” to anything in excess—self-control—is one of the fruits of the Spirit common to all believers (Galatians 5:22)."
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

If you want to talk through skype, message me.

Offline Dynamic

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • A Young Atheist
Re: The Bible Says Eating A lot is a sin
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 05:38:24 PM »
Correction to title. I assumed all people who eat a lot are fat. Mistake.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

If you want to talk through skype, message me.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +21/-96
  • WWGHA Member
Re: The Bible Says Being Fat is a Sin
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 05:48:16 PM »
I think the Christian belief is that doing anything harmful to your own body is a sin.  What about those that have disabilities?  "God remembers that we are only dust".

I don't wanna debate.  I'm just stating what I think are the Christian beliefs.  Do with them what you will.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:19:05 PM »
I think the Christian belief is that doing anything harmful to your own body is a sin.  What about those that have disabilities?  "God remembers that we are only dust".

I don't wanna debate.  I'm just stating what I think are the Christian beliefs.  Do with them what you will.

I would take the Christian belief, hang it upside-down and bitch-slap the fucking gluttony out of it!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 06:24:50 PM »
Then the US should be wiped off the map.  We have the fattest people ever.  We will fight for our cupcakes.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 07:10:38 PM »
Then the US should be wiped off the map.  We have the fattest people ever.  We will fight for our cupcakes.
That's right, join the Hostess Army!
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 07:13:55 PM »
yes, and the Catholic Church loves to teach the 7 deadly sins, one of which is gluttony. This is, of course, why the church has feast days for so many saints. I mean, feasting has nothing to do with gluttony, right?
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 10:59:58 PM »
There's nothing in any of those passages that says gluttony is a sin or a hell-punishable offense. It just says it's bad.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Nodak

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-1
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 11:23:05 PM »
I would venture to say that gluttony would be on the list of atheist sins.  Atheist beleive this is our one shot at experience......why experience it in a purposely debilitated ( stuffed, tired, fat) state?

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-4
  • I did haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 12:45:21 AM »
[16] And the priest shall burn them upon the altar: it is the food of the offering made by fire for a sweet savour: all the fat is the LORD's.
[17] It shall be a perpetual statute for your generations throughout all your dwellings, that ye eat neither fat nor blood.

[22] And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
[23] Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, Ye shall eat no manner of fat, of ox, or of sheep, or of goat.
[24] And the fat of the beast that dieth of itself, and the fat of that which is torn with beasts, may be used in any other use: but ye shall in no wise eat of it.
[25] For whosoever eateth the fat of the beast, of which men offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD, even the soul that eateth it shall be cut off from his people.

I strive for clarity, but aim for confusion.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 10:58:08 AM »

aka "I don't want to be shown I'm an idiot who doesn't know his own bible and makes shit up". 

the verse that JST wants to quote
Psalm 103:13 As a father has compassion on his children,
    so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him;14 for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.
Except for, you know, these guys....

Leviticus 21:16 The Lord said to Moses, 17 “Say to Aaron: ‘For the generations to come none of your descendants who has a defect may come near to offer the food of his God.
18 No man who has any defect may come near: no man who is blind or lame, disfigured or deformed;
19 no man with a crippled foot or hand,
20 or who is a hunchback or a dwarf, or who has any eye defect, or who has festering or running sores or damaged testicles. 21 No descendant of Aaron the priest who has any defect is to come near to present the food offerings to the Lord. He has a defect; he must not come near to offer the food of his God.
22 He may eat the most holy food of his God, as well as the holy food; 23 yet because of his defect, he must not go near the curtain or approach the altar, and so desecrate my sanctuary. I am the Lord, who makes them holy.’”
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 04:06:44 PM »
Vel; you have a diabolical way of smiting the believer with his own sword.   ;D

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +21/-96
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 05:26:36 PM »
deleted
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 06:22:20 PM »
Leviticus 21:16 The Lord said to Moses, 17 “Say to Aaron: ‘For the generations to come none of your descendants who has a defect may come near to offer the food of his God.
18 No man who has any defect may come near: no man who is blind or lame, disfigured or deformed;
19 no man with a crippled foot or hand,
20 or who is a hunchback or a dwarf, or who has any eye defect, or who has festering or running sores or damaged testicles. 21 No descendant of Aaron the priest who has any defect is to come near to present the food offerings to the Lord. He has a defect; he must not come near to offer the food of his God.
22 He may eat the most holy food of his God, as well as the holy food; 23 yet because of his defect, he must not go near the curtain or approach the altar, and so desecrate my sanctuary. I am the Lord, who makes them holy.’”

"Yo man, tell your brother to keep his sick kids away from me. They can come to Thanksgiving dinner I guess, but they're gonna have to eat at the card table in the guestroom. They creep me out."
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 12:26:35 AM »

To work the Sabbath,have pre-marital sex,divorce,to molest children,not marry your rape victim...stuff Christians do that are bad for them....but they still do it,because God will be ok with it ,right?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 05:29:47 AM »
There's a lot of things people do that the bible considers evil, but many just decide to pick & choose. I think people who believe in God should just accept that their text was written by man and not inspired by God, accept that they're only picking and choosing because it's what they believe and be done with it. Keep your faith in God, I don't care so long as you don't delude yourself about the bible.

Seriously, the level of stupidity, ignorance and bigotry to come out of people's mouths when trying to support the validity of the bible is depressing. I'm not necessarily saying all who believe in God are stupid, ignorant and bigoted, but people can get angry because the moon reflects light when the bible says it emits lights or people can say being gay or over eating is...*evil* or completely rejecting life-saving medical procedures either based on their religious morality (JW's who don't believe blood transfusions are ethical) or because of their faith in God, believing he will save them instead of medical science. Sod the frickin' bible, if we listened to its morality completely, we'd be living in a Christianised version of Iran. I say go ahead, pick & choose, but be honest about it. But if you pick anything bigoted, it's because you're a bigot NOT because it's the bible.

/rant.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 05:49:16 AM »
Everyone, be fat!....so fat people don't go to Heaven then? Well atleast they are free to eat as much as they want. There would be only diets in Heaven.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 05:53:43 AM »
More evidence to suggest that heaven=hell. ;) The catering in heaven is probably just full of cucumber sandwiches and rabbit food.

Hell on the other hand, flame grilled steaks, barbecues and a whole manner of unhealthy stuff that won't kill you in hell because you're already dead. I know where I'm looking to party when I'm dead.

A hole in the ground because neither heaven or hell exist. ;)
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 05:58:10 AM »
A hole in the ground because neither heaven or hell exist. ;)

Atleast the worms will be partying with you.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 06:04:20 AM »
To be honest, worms are more fun than most people tend to realise.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 09:32:32 AM »
Nice comment, Bad Pear.  And now I wonder what jst was going to say.

the one verse that dynamic mentioned has fascinated me.

[/quote]Psalm 23: 1When you sit to dine with a ruler, note well what is before you,2 and put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony. 3 Do not crave his delicacies, for that food is deceptive.[/quote] Now this does strike me as a possible metaphor. I'd say it seems to mean that one should not accept gifts from someone bad, and IMO, it does seem to indicate that suicide is better than giving into temptation.   :)

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/