Author Topic: A Thought on Being Gay in America  (Read 2432 times)

Offline meconopsilo

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Re: A Thought on Being Gay in America
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 06:18:27 PM »
neon wolf. first off im a were wolf. secondly i feel that you should take pride in your self and accept who you are regardless of what anyone says. you got my count for you. yeah i know we dont know eachother and it dont matter. but i think you should never change for anyone. ever. be yourself for yourself. maybe even listen to dimmu borgir.
balls

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 07:34:20 PM »
satan says being gay is alright. and hell has one season all year round. just a thought.

You make two claims here.  Can you support either with evidence?  As far as I know, Satan is imaginary, as is hell.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline meconopsilo

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 07:53:28 PM »
no. the claims were purely fictitious. neither hell or satan has any proof of existence. now as far as being a were wolf i can prove this but you will not enjoy it. actually nvm. totally not a were anything k? ur not a hunter are you ?
balls

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 07:58:51 PM »
Umm...no, never had any comment on the werewolf thing.  Just thought the "Satan and hell" claims were odd, that was all.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline meconopsilo

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 08:09:56 PM »
okayy !! :P
balls

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 03:48:50 AM »
While many states have passed legislation including sexual orientation as a category where discrimination is not permitted, the US federal government has not beeen able to do so yet.

Wisconsin was one of those states - one of the first. Yet a few years ago an amendment to the state constitution was passed barring same-sex marriages & anything legally similar - thus also voiding common law marriage like in NC. I was shocked when the amendment passed here in Wisconsin. IMO the religious have gotten more rabid and because of the excuses people make for the religious, they are allowed to roam free and screw up everyone's lives.

Since marriage has been the pervue of religion (even though a social business deal), the secular legal aspects have gradually grown until they are significant. Until a well-reasoned argument is presented by someone respectable, I do not see this changing even though it should. Legal marriage needs to be reworked to match current reality.

My basic initial reworking of marriage:
Age of younger person 18 - 25 limits the initial marriage term to 1 year. Renewal of marriage license (after the 1st 1 yr term) is for 5 yrs. Subsequent renewals for 10 yrs each.
Age of younger person 26+ limits the initial marriage term to 5 years. Subsequent renewals for 10 yrs each.
Seperate bank accounts must be maintained by both spouses. The joint account shall be a repository for no more than half of each spouse's income. All previous wealth, property & posessions are retained by their original owner. Joint posessions will be sold at the end of the marriage contract unless the license is renewed.
As part of the marriage contract the spouses will assign responsibility for legal & medical representation if they are incapacitated to either the spouse or other family member. At each renewal, this responsibility must be re-evaluated & assigned again.
Since a body's sex can be altered and love does not restrict itself, any two consenting adults may marry.
No religion may interfere with any marriage nor may any religious organization offer a legal marriage. Religious marriage is restricted to being between two people of the same religious faction and has no legal bearing.
Upon implementation of this law, only existing marriages of 25+ yrs will remain as "until death" if both spouses choose that and all other marriages will be renewed on a regular basis as outlined.

It's nearly 4 am so I probably missed things but there it is.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline Hemingway

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-1
  • God will pardon me, that's his line of work
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 01:21:38 PM »
"Gay" marriage........ Funny statement that.

When homosexuals dine are they having "gay" lunch?

When they shower are the having a "gay" shower?

I reckon same sex marriage is a more accurate term. Pffft..... Its just a marriage anyway. If two people are in love who cares what sex they are.

Let em at it. Live and let live gentlemen. Huzzah!
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +897/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 03:09:02 PM »

Since a body's sex can be altered and love does not restrict itself, any two consenting adults may marry.

Does this include close relatives like mothers and sons, sisters and brothers? And why only two consenting adults? What is a secular argument against multiple spouses?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 03:26:21 PM »
What is a secular argument against multiple spouses?

My wife would fucking kill me.
One woman bossing me around is plenty.
Polygamy. Woohoo! Now I can sexually frustrate several women at once, instead of just one.
If I had a second wife, I'd also need a husband to help me out.
The kid situation would get weird.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 03:42:33 PM »
All of those are arguments against actually doing it.  They're not arguments against its legality.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2012, 03:50:50 PM »
My wife killing me is sort of an argument against making it legal.

Frankly, I have no problem with it, so finding actual arguments is difficult. I kind of think the domestic unit of the future ought to be two men and two women.  give or take.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +897/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2012, 04:30:40 PM »
What is a secular argument against multiple spouses?

My wife would fucking kill me.
One woman bossing me around is plenty.
Polygamy. Woohoo! Now I can sexually frustrate several women at once, instead of just one.
If I had a second wife, I'd also need a husband to help me out.
The kid situation would get weird.
The main reason for mutiple spouses in other cultures is not about sex, but about getting work done. Childcare, farming, housework, herding, marketing are more important than who is sleeping with who on what night. In the US we think it makes more sense to pay strangers to do everything for us than to expand the family unit.

If your wife would kill you, don't do it because it is not consenting! And polyandry might take care of the frustration problem. ;)

The kid situation would not be any weirder than today's blended families. There have been so many remarriages and casual hookups and informal adoptions (among mainly hetero US Christians, BTW) that when I ask my students how many people are in their family, some say they don't really know.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 12:40:45 AM »

Does this include close relatives like mothers and sons, sisters and brothers? And why only two consenting adults? What is a secular argument against multiple spouses?

As I mentioned, I suspected there were things I was missing considering the lateness of the time.

Due to potential for disastrous birth defects, blood relatives would be prohibited from marrying. However, after the existing marriage contract had expired, unrelated stepparent & stepchild (both 18+) could then marry.

As for multiple partners: it would be a very difficult sell in the USA. I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as the ratios were fairly balanced but I don't know how you could legislate that. By balanced I mean no situation where it revolves around one person with all married just to him (or her). (Can you say beginings of a psycho cult?)

There are other logistics too with multiple partners. Does everyone marry everyone else? Do only those who anticipate having sex marry each other?

I think American society would be better off if we managed to lose the idea of the (fictional) nuclear family and went back to having something more like an extended family. From history I know that people used to live where they were born and they were surrounded by family. While that didn't make things perfect, I think it helped a lot. And, as someone mentioned, extended families are developing again anyways - why fight that? But the theists argue that a family is one man & one woman with their kids and work to destroy anything else no matter how beneficial.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:42:20 AM by Samothec »
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2012, 09:05:15 PM »
It's the same as saying that you can't run for public office as a Jew. .

It depends what one perceives the purpose of marriage to be. I dont agree the two things are the same.

The republucans are right. Marriage was not defined as being between a man and a woman but that was its intent. The main purpose was for people to have familiies. Some did and some did not.

The democrats are right, in our modern society, gay marriage makes sense and should be legal.

The mistake people make is they confuse religiius with legal marriage.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2012, 09:20:10 PM »

The government is not confused at all. 

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 09:21:21 PM »

The government is not confused at all.

The politics of it are.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.