Author Topic: How was the bible collated?  (Read 644 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
How was the bible collated?
« on: May 10, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »
Can anyone recommend any good books that describe how the bible was collated?  That is, how the various decisions were made on which books to include, which to exclude, and so forth?  I'd prefer Kindle format if it's available but will also get a print version if it's highly recommended.  Thanks.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: How was the bible collated?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »
Man, there is a good book out there.  I just can't remember the name right now.  The Catholic Church (some council) decided on the 4 gospils and tossed the rest.  Funny, how the protestants believe it so much yet the Cathloics put it together.

Ah, found it.  Try Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:00:53 PM by Nick »
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 12:47:18 PM »
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »
Man, there is a good book out there.  I just can't remember the name right now.  The Catholic Church (some council) decided on the 4 gospils and tossed the rest.  Funny, how the protestants believe it so much yet the Cathloics put it together.

Ah, found it.  Try Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman.

I always thought a bunch of monkeys did it.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:41:33 PM »
A really good historical examination is in the book; The End Of Biblical Studies, Hector Avalos, ISBN 978-1-59102-536-8.  The book is not the stuff of evangelical  preference.   The Author is a Prof. of theology at Iowa State U. Life must be hard for him in a predominently jesus state like Iowa.

Offline Dynamic

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • A Young Atheist
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »
This isn't a book. But it is a two part video series that is a total of 25 minutes long.  VERY good.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

If you want to talk through skype, message me.