Author Topic: Atheist Ireland strikes again.  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Nozzferrahhtoo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Atheist Ireland
Atheist Ireland strikes again.
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:00:40 AM »
Hi all,

Not sure what to say by way of introduction. My "Why I am an atheist" Article got published on Pharyngula recently which might help a little I guess:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2012/05/06/why-i-am-an-atheist-gavin-mcbride/

Other than that I am one of the founding members of Atheist Ireland, still currently a slightly active member and moderator of their blogs and forums, despite now living in Germany.

I post a lot on forums around the internet, mostly using this user name but one or two of my very much older usernames are still active such as on IGI where I am still IrishMauddib.

As above I guess I am what many people would call an atheist though I rarely, if ever except as a term of convenience while writing when no other term will do, use that word to describe myself. I am not really one for labels usually but if forced to identify as something I would usually resort to "Secular".

Other than that I have no idea what to say except to give myself over to anything anyone may wish to ask and simply answer that instead!

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Re: Atheist Ireland strikes again.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:16:23 AM »
Hello and welcome, Nozz!!! The one thing I've always liked about your other username is the reference to Dune.  ;D I hope you enjoy your time here, and that Germany is treating you well.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 10:32:28 AM »
IIRC, TIME said that when a future prime minister of France introduced his fiancee to his parents he said she was "non-religious".  I don't know what French word the writer had translated that way.  You're living on "the Continent".  Do you know what the French word is?

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 10:56:24 AM »
I am not looking for anything as lofty as “proof”. I merely want to hear evidence and arguments to even lend the idea credence. Alas even setting the bar this low has resulted in nothing of note from the “other side” so to speak.

I agree completely, theology and religious apologetics have reached the point where they don't even deserve a place at the table of intellectual discussion.  It has devolved into a sort of repetitive mindless rhetoric that no longer even has anything to do with the idea of a supernatural agency like a god existing.  Their claims have been reduced to a point where they have divorced themselves from the capacity to even determine if they had the 'right' god, much less that a god exists at all.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:01:15 AM »
Nice article, Nozz. I'm familiar with your post history as Irish and I've very much enjoyed your replies there. Welcome to the forum.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +818/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
Welcome, Irish person with the long screen name. I hope Nozz is an acceptable alternative.

If you type with a brogue, we Americans may sometimes ask you to say it againf. We're idiots. Please be patient with us.

I finally figured out why theists giggle when we say "secular". They hear it as "sexular" and they only have the maturity of an 8 year old boy.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Nozzferrahhtoo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Atheist Ireland
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 04:57:26 AM »
The one thing I've always liked about your other username is the reference to Dune.

Yeah funny story that.

When I first started using the internet around the age of 14 I was in the middle of reading through the Dune series so I instantly used the name because of that. Alas so did many other people so when you searched my user name you found lots of results. Including, at the time, someone on Usenet with an interest in Bestiality. A fact my school friends at the time made a lot of use of. 

So one day I hit upon what I thought was the genius idea of misspelling it deliberately. You might notice that Mauddib is actually a misspelling. What my "genius" idea did not count on was that many people actually could not spell and my intentional misspelling just meant that NOW when you search my user names you still get a lot of results. So I had to start putting IrishMauddib instead of just Mauddib.

So one day I just took the word Nosferatu and not just misspelled it but did so egregiously. So far on the internet it has remained unique. (to my knowledge).

IIRC, TIME said that when a future prime minister of France introduced his fiancee to his parents he said she was "non-religious".  I don't know what French word the writer had translated that way.  You're living on "the Continent".  Do you know what the French word is?

Not off hand no but I would probably not want to identify with it any more than I do with "atheist". I seem to have a wall in my mind about labelling myself by things I am not, rather than by things I am. So words like "non religious" and "atheist" have never really felt like they quite fit me. I recognise the utility of the words and use them when I have to, but I rarely self identify by them.

I agree completely, theology and religious apologetics have reached the point where they don't even deserve a place at the table of intellectual discussion.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I do so also while realizing that sheer weight of numbers means we still have to expect to find them at those tables, like it or not, and we have to remain prepared to deal with them when they are.

I would love tomorrow to renounce my membership of Atheist Ireland and never deal with religion again. Unfortunately all the things I AM actually interested in.... ethics, morality, education, children, science, politics, sexuality and more.... are realms of discourse where I am forced to face and deal with the religious all the time. Daily.... nay hourly.

Nice article, Nozz. I'm familiar with your post history as Irish and I've very much enjoyed your replies there. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately recently I have felt compelled to reduce the posting I do "over there" as I have found that any thread of any interest recently either descends into quibbling about personal issues some users there have with each other... or into arguments over who has just smited who on the thread. Not to mention the barely concealed self hatred and trolling from two particular users... one of which I see you have the dubious honor to have over here in recent days.

The usefulness and enjoyment I once found "over there" seems to have been eroded to a barely visible dot. Hence my wandering over here to see what it is like here.

It was nice to see PZ publish my post though I have to admit. When the AAI conference happened in Dublin last year I was the one with the honor of driving DPRJones, AaronRa and PZ Myers to the talk from Dublin airport. When DPR did his annual 24 hour charity video blogathon he had Aronra and PZ on at the same time and they spent a few minutes reminiscing about how terrified they were of my driving skills in Dublin Rush hour traffic.

Not sure whether I was embarrassed or proud to be mentioned :)

Welcome, Irish person with the long screen name. I hope Nozz is an acceptable alternative.

It is what I am usually referred to as yes :)

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 05:27:45 AM »
Wilkommen! Ich bin ein berlinner.  ;D

Nice one on the founding of Atheist Ireland and also, I love Germany, so I hope you're enjoying living there. I used to live there as a toddly (Monchengladbach) and tend to visit for the music festival, Wacken (and will be there this August).

Well I hope you enjoy taking part here.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 09:15:24 AM »
Greetings fellow earthling.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Nozzferrahhtoo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Atheist Ireland
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 04:30:19 PM »
I managed to find the link of PZ, A-Ra and DPR talking about my driving.

They were exaggerating though I swear :)

http://www.blogtv.com/Shows/776204/date/buREZm_Fae3HZmRwb2T

Offline dono061

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »
  Hello to all:  While all my ancestory is Irish, I only think of myself as American, an American that does not believe in any gods.  I didnt realize how much I was hated till I went on line several years ago and found out I was labled an Atheist, and as such, inherited the legacies attributed to this group.   It is my firm belief that religions are actively destroying Our Nation, and is the cause of my interest in finding sites like this and others to combat them with reason and facts.
                                                                                                                        dono

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 03:31:18 PM »
Welcome dono.