Author Topic: Bill Maher on Why atheism is not a religion +Unbaptism  (Read 337 times)

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
Bill Maher on Why atheism is not a religion +Unbaptism
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:42:14 AM »
I don't always agree with Bill Maher but I like his style and he expresses some common points atheists try to hammer into theists very well in this recent one.

Also he does a great thing for the cause by performing the first Unbaptism for a fellow atheist.

"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
Re: Bill Maher on Why atheism is not a religion +Unbaptism
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:16:21 AM »
Great vid, Alzael. I have never really been familiar with Maher (don't watch much TV) but this was really good. I loved the part about seeing Hitch's face in a tree stump. The whole thing was really funny IMO, yet pointed out quite clearly the difference between religion and not-religion.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »
Great vid, Alzael. I have never really been familiar with Maher (don't watch much TV) but this was really good. I loved the part about seeing Hitch's face in a tree stump. The whole thing was really funny IMO, yet pointed out quite clearly the difference between religion and not-religion.

Maher has a lot of very good points to make and he has a nice snarky wit about things. Although he does have a few weird ideas as well (like his stance on antibiotics). Like he said in the video, even atheists have their blind spots.

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 04:28:55 PM »
Thank you so much for the video Alzael! That was such a badass video, and funny as well! It is videos like this that make him a favorite of mine. A dream of mine is to see him and Pat Condell team up to chat with each other on the subject. Just imagine the platinum that can come out of that!  :)

My only problem is that I don't know which specific channel His' show comes on and what time of day.

Also, I would like to understand your objections with Maher's views on the antibiotics and the medical industry as a whole.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 04:36:20 PM »
Thank you so much for the video Alzael! That was such a badass video, and funny as well! It is videos like this that make him a favorite of mine. A dream of mine is to see him and Pat Condell team up to chat with each other on the subject. Just imagine the platinum that can come out of that!  :)

My only problem is that I don't know which specific channel His' show comes on and what time of day.

Also, I would like to understand your objections with Maher's views on the antibiotics and the medical industry as a whole.

It's not really an objection per se. It's just that Maher is strongly against anti-biotics and his reasons are.....let's just say a little flimsy. My objection is not so much the anti-biotics thing as that his reasoning is terrible and he sometimes gets a little too close to fanatical about it. But as he said, even atheists have their blind spots.

As for the channel of the show you can watch it online as well.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »
It's not really an objection per se. It's just that Maher is strongly against anti-biotics and his reasons are.....let's just say a little flimsy. My objection is not so much the anti-biotics thing as that his reasoning is terrible and he sometimes gets a little too close to fanatical about it. But as he said, even atheists have their blind spots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_maher#Health_care

I post this because although atheists do have their blind spots, I actually agree with a lot of Maher's position on the anti-biotics. Personally, I think a better use of the blind spot claim would have been Maher personally supports the death penalty.

As for the channel of the show you can watch it online as well.

That is currently my only option, although I did find out it is late at night on an HBO channel.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 04:56:28 PM »
Bill Maher: Vaccination: A Conversation Worth Having
http://therealbillmaher.blogspot.com/2009/11/vaccination-conversation-worth-having.html

Personally, I go without the 'flu shots'.  Every time I have ever got one, the shot made me sick, then the very last time ever was for the 'wrong' variant of flu that came out that year, so I caught it anyway, and I got horribly sick. 

Maybe I catch it every year, maybe I write it off as a 'cold'.  When I get sick, it's usually mild.  When I got vaccinated for it, I get sick whether I would have caught it or not, and that one time, I got clobbered.

This is not to say that flu shots aren't good for other people.  Possibly they even are good for me.  I'm not going to do it again, for the wholly emotional and selfish reason of not liking the experience.

Of course, some statistics are misleading.  It's true that only 11% of people who get tetanus DIE, 100% go through horrifically painful symptoms, including involuntary muscle contractions (aka 'charlie-horses') sometimes strong enough to break their bones.  So I'd wager 89% wish they'd died.  So gimme the tetanus shot, even if my arm gets sore.

Generally speaking, I agree more with Penn & Teller... if we're going to quote celebrity opinions.