Author Topic: Student Denied Diploma in Retaliation for Activism. Stay Classy Christians.  (Read 776 times)

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/us/bju-student-suspension-irpt/index.html?c=us

The real sad things is that this guy wasn't even an atheist. Just another Christian standing up for the rights of raped chidlren. It says very much about the way Christianity works in American society when it's the guy who's against raping children that's being unfairly persecuted.

Interestingly enough, the school has it's handbook online. http://www.bju.edu/student-life/2011-student-handbook.pdf

In case you don't want to torture yourselves, here are some excerpts.

"On and off campus, physical contact between men and women students is not allowed."

"Male and female students should guard their testimonies and are not to be alone together in a classroom, rehearsal studio or other room."

"Groups need to include an odd ratio of genders (e.g., three women and two men) and at least one student with advanced privileges for every five students in the group."

"Abercrombie & Fitch and its subsidiary Hollister have shown an unusual degree of antagonism to biblical morality. Therefore, BJU asks its students not to patronize these stores, wear their clothing, or display articles containing their names or logos."

Edit: Also

"Students cannot listen to "the music of our popular culture including rock, rap, jazz and country" and "students are not to listen to music with headphones"

"In private homes students may view G-rated movies" and "students are not to attend a movie of any rating in a public theater during a semester or summer school"

"Students are not to watch television"

"Students are not to play video games rated above E10 or games that contain graphic blood or gore, sensual or demonic themes, violent first-person shooting,
suggestive dress, bad language or rock music."

No "fashion, model, teen, body-building, video/computer game and television/film magazines"
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:51:02 PM by Alzael »
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
While I don't have too much of a problem with a general code of conduct, some of those requirements are just weird.

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
But the guys who suspended him weren't True ChristiansTM, so there's no real issue - is there, True Believers?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
I think you have more privileges in prison.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
Sounds an awful lot like North Korea.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
how stupid is this kid though?  They were tracking his every move on his facebook page.  And what did the idiot do?  He kept posting on facebook.  And he still wants to go back to bju.[1]  Brainwashed fundie toad.
 1. misleadingly named.  I was quite excited at the prospect of a BJ-U.  Like Stripper School, only better!  Imagine my disappointment when I found out it was Bob Jones.  wtf is a "bob jones"?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
They were tracking his every move on his facebook page.  And what did the idiot do?  He kept posting on facebook. 

Heh - good point!  He clearly hasn't picked up any useful critical analysis skills at his "college"....can't say I feel that his "diploma" will actually be worth very much even if he does get it.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
"....can't say I feel that his "diploma" will actually be worth very much even if he does get it.

I thought neocons hired bju grads by the truckload.  Trying to imbed them in government.  Or maybe they were mistaken about what BJ meant, like me?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
oh,
"Male and female students should guard their testimonies and are not to be alone together in a classroom, rehearsal studio or other room."
is that what a penis and vagina are being called now?  Testimonies?  :)

"Groups need to include an odd ratio of genders (e.g., three women and two men) and at least one student with advanced privileges for every five students in the group."
because threesomes are magically impossible?

"Students cannot listen to "the music of our popular culture including rock, rap, jazz and country" and "students are not to listen to music with headphones"
but you can listen to Lawrence Welk et al:

"Students are not to play video games rated above E10 or games that contain graphic blood or gore, sensual or demonic themes, violent first-person shooting, suggestive dress, bad language or rock music."
wanna bet they can play this one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Behind:_Eternal_Forces

what a cluster fuck (or perhaps more aptly a blow job) of hatred and stupidity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Jones_University

The three Bob Joneses, especially Bob Jones, Jr., sharply criticized the Roman Catholic Church. For instance, Jones, Jr. once said that Catholicism was "not another Christian denomination. It is a satanic counterfeit, an ecclesiastic tyranny over the souls of men....It is the old harlot of the book of the Revelation—'the Mother of Harlots.'" All popes, Jones asserted, "are demon possessed."[91] In 2000, then-president Bob Jones III referred, on the university's web page, to Mormons and Catholics as "cults which call themselves Christian."[92] Furthermore, in 1966, BJU awarded an honorary doctorate to the Rev. Ian Paisley, future British MP, leader of the Democratic Unionist Party, and Moderator of the Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster, who has referred to the Pope as a "Roman anti-Christ." [93] Bob Jones III has argued that the university is not so much anti-Catholic or anti-Mormon as it is opposed to the idea that all men, regardless of religious beliefs, will eventually get to heaven: "Our shame would be in telling people a lie, and thereby letting them go to hell without Christ because we loved their goodwill more than we loved them and their souls…. All religion, including Catholicism, which teaches that salvation is by religious works or church dogma is false. Religion that makes the words of its leader, be he Pope or other, equal with the Word of God is false. Sola Scriptura. From the time of the Protestant Reformation onward, it has been understood that there is no commonality between the Bible way, which is justification by faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and salvation by works, which the faithful, practicing Catholic embraces."[94]
  PJ should get up a good snit on this when she's so sure that all Chrsitians are just like her  ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Dynamic

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • A Young Atheist
Dang. Is BJU a mini-communist college? The rules seem as if it were true. Only difference is they teach Christianity.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

If you want to talk through skype, message me.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
Except for the rule of requiring more women than men, it seems like hell to me. Seems like they're in denial of threesomes, gangbangs and orgies.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
how stupid is this kid though?  They were tracking his every move on his facebook page.  And what did the idiot do?  He kept posting on facebook.  And he still wants to go back to bju.[1]  Brainwashed fundie toad.
 1. misleadingly named.  I was quite excited at the prospect of a BJ-U.  Like Stripper School, only better!  Imagine my disappointment when I found out it was Bob Jones.  wtf is a "bob jones"?

Whatever a "bob jones" is, sounds pretty painful to me. :o
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
I knew a girl in high school who had a reputation for bob jonesing.  She said she didn't like me "that way".

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
This thread is confusing me and I have a question.

Is there anyway I can get my Testimonials Bob Jones-ed?
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
BJU?  You should say it's BJ3U because it is Bob Jones III University. 

Really.