Author Topic: My (3rd?) farewell thread  (Read 541 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
My (3rd?) farewell thread
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:52:33 PM »
What can I say? I've tried to leave before but temptation beats me. So I'm about to mess up my password so I can't log on, and have IT block this site completely, and of course delete my email address so I don't know about PM's either.

I mostly had a good time and met some great folk - you know who you are. Thanks for engaging me politely and with good humour.

I'm sure theists will continue to engage you as ever and the site will kick on.

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
Re: My (3rd?) farewell thread
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »
Why? Or did I miss this in one of your other posts.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:02:12 PM »
Don't do it! 

I genuinely enjoy your contributions to this forum. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:14:18 PM »
He will be back...no one escapes the collective. :o
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:33:36 PM »
Well you don't have to leave, but I can understand how this forum can be addictive. It's 3:30 am here and I'm writing a reply to a thread on here. In fact, my addiction is kind of the reason I stopped posting in the first place (and came back earlier this year), though I didn't do a "I'm leaving" thread because I had every intention of coming back. It's a horrible source of procrastination as I could be doing something constructive like sleeping. ;)

Obviously, I don't know why you've made the choice. I could make a few guesses (though you can correct me if wrong) - I know you've had a couple of clashes where you might not have wanted it and this forum is pretty intense and strict when it comes to accountability and there's can even be a high level of criticism. If it's anything to do with any of that and you'd rather not spend time subjecting yourself to that, then I understand. This forum's methods don't work for everyone.

It was actually kind of the point of the experimentation with The Shelter - though obviously we don't want theists to only post in there, but it makes for a spot where you can have a more relaxed discussion on religion without the intensity people are subject to elsewhere. We actually subject each other to same level of accountability, employ the same level of sarcasm and the same level of scrutiny when we find ourselves disagreeing on a subject. Normally, we know how to handle ourselves in those discussions. In fact, I love it, I find it's an excellent way of learning things quickly.

However, I think we've had a good laugh and the fact you've got more positive karma than me should at least say something.  ;) Christ, I've been a member for 4 years. Okay, the karma system didn't exist for most of that period, but that's beside the point  &).

Well best of luck with your wrist and future cycling endeavours (preferably not injuring yourself again). And er...best of luck with the Cricket whenever it's on, I don't like the sport, so I have absolutely no issue in you Australians kicking our arse.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
MagicMiles[1], I've occasionally said it that 80% of my friends are Christians because 80% of Americans are Christians.

We get kooky and stupid and obnoxious believers on here and I have to remind myself of the Christians I know personally who are not like that.  You are abnormal here because you are normal.

This is a cue for ILY to jump in with some more of his Space Cadet material.
 1. Shouldn't that be KharismaticKilometres?  You live in a metric country.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 10:06:49 PM »
Your average christian moderate isn't going to come to a website like this, so we get to handle those too stupid to know any better or those who are mentally ill enough to get off on attacking non-believers.  However, its nice to have a friendly theist around once in awhile.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 03:07:43 AM »
I've tried to leave before but temptation beats me.

Perhaps you should pray for strength?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +546/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 05:50:24 AM »
Just when I thought we had a convert... ho hum...
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 05:57:03 AM »
^ I enjoyed mm. He was a pretty reasonable guy. But if he enjoyed this forum as much as he says, then this strikes me as a cowardly way of retaining his faith.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 06:51:17 AM »
Ah goodbye threads - the final way to get attention. I love 'em.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 09:48:02 AM »
Well, if you should change your mind, I'll welcome you back. Fare well, mm.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 10:50:54 AM »
You'd better be a boomerang and come back to us.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »
What can I say? I've tried to leave before but temptation beats me.

one more instance of god failing, eh?  :)
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 12:17:04 PM »
You have a family, which is by itself usually a better use of time than an internet forum. But if you can spare the time, drop in again, magic.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 06:41:54 PM »
MM, you have been the very model of how a theist ought to handle himself (short of coming over to the dark side, of course ;)) in this forum. I rarely agree with your positions, but I respect you a great deal for the reasonable ways by which you have presented and discussed them. Here's hoping you'll give in to the temptation to return again.
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 06:32:10 PM »
I too have enjoyed your presence here. Hope to hear from you again, good luck with everything- take care :)
love and truth and love of truth

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 07:19:59 PM »
Ha!  You'll be back.  Bike on, bro!
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +798/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »
Now I can't even complain that he didn't have the decency to say goodbye.

I suspect he's only used to being wanted where a reward is involved  ;D

Hey magic, if I said you were starting to convert me, would you return? I'd be lying, of course, but for a good cause.

And by the way, if you do come back and take a new screen name, I'd suggest staying away from Plain Jane. Just sayin'.

Added: I've only known he's gone for five minutes and I miss him already. I'm getting soft in my old age.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:42:25 PM by ParkingPlaces »
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!