Author Topic: Hi  (Read 733 times)

Offline Witchtripper

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • SDMF
Hi
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:47:14 PM »
Hi my name is Bryan. I was brought up as a Lutheran um but i never truely felt or believed in "God" deep down inside even though i argued on "his" side and called myself a believer. What a hypocrite lol...

Anyways while i was being brought up i tried hard to believe in Jesus and while in Sunday school every Sunday i heard of all the "good" in the bible and the power of prayer. I prayed a lot the first 17 years of my life because i had a rough childhood in which i was bullied and/or beat up at school only to be physically and emotionally abused at home by my dad. At the age of 7 i tried taking my life for the first time because nothing got better no matter how hard i prayed. As time went on shit got worse yet i still tried believing in god. Eventually i would lose 12 friends from the time i was 17-20 from things such as suicides, 2 murders, drug overdoses, a drowning, and a car accident. I became a pill poppin, heroin junkie, alcoholic and ended up hospitilized 13 times from oding and suicide attempts. I still tryed believing in a God until about a couple weeks ago.

I was on youtube and stumbled onto the God Is Imaginary videos and i started to watch the one about how the bible was repulsived. I lol'ed. And i watched every video i could and rewatched them time and time again. I always thought about the chance that there wasnt a god in particular the god of the bible but these gave reasons i never thought of. Like whats actually in the bible. Its amazing how you never hear about some of the repulsive shit in sermons or in sunday school.

I tend to think a lot about things and some say i think to much. I even think i do. Ive spent most my time the last few weeks thinking about how sick and twisted the bible is. I bought one and have been highlighting stuff in it constantly. Ive been trying to rethink my life and see how things have gone wrong and why.

Life these last few weeks have become extrordinarilly more clearer. I for the first time in my life have a sense of peace and comfort. I dont feel as depressed that someone/thing just refuses to answer my prayers. I feel comfort in living for the moment and not having to worry that there is a predetermined plan for my life.

Im looking forward to getting to know and learning from some of yall on this board. Please excuse some of my grammar and spelling errors as i am using an iPad and its a big pain in the ass. It takes a long time to make posts (this took me 58 mins) and i have fat fingers so trying to get to an error to correct it frustrates me more than almost anything on this planet.
Psalm 137:9 - Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks!

(Please excuse grammatical errors. Working on an iPad is a pain!)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:00:48 PM »
Hey man.  Sounds like you have had a boat load of life dumped on you already.  Hope you get some answers here.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:02:26 PM »
Welcome, enjoy your time.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:03:26 PM »
Hi Witch. Welcome.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:37:40 PM »
A blessing upon you, Witchtripper.  May your foot step in the blood of your enemies and may your dog's tongue lap it up, too.  May your dancing girls celebrate it.

That's not from Conan.  That's Psalm 68:23--25.  Psalm 68 is one bad-ass psalm.

Offline Witchtripper

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • SDMF
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
A blessing upon you, Witchtripper.  May your foot step in the blood of your enemies and may your dog's tongue lap it up, too.  May your dancing girls celebrate it.

That's not from Conan.  That's Psalm 68:23--25.  Psalm 68 is one bad-ass psalm.

I agree, thats very badass
Psalm 137:9 - Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks!

(Please excuse grammatical errors. Working on an iPad is a pain!)

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 09:40:23 PM »
Welcome Witchtripper. We've always got room for more here. Come on in.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline eye over you

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:50:33 PM »
    Hi, I am new here myself. How long have you been clean, if you don't mind me asking? I was a meth addict for 20 yrs.  I will have 5 yrs clean this June. I did it without surrendering to a higher power like they tell you you HAVE to do when you go to AA/NA meetings. You know, the whole "god as you understand him" thing.
Don't let your mouth write checks that your ass can't cash.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »
as i am using an iPad and

Hm, I don't like him.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »
Hello and welcome aboard. I'm so sorry for what you've been through, and am glad you're finding your way through it and out the other side. I've never believed in any god, and I hope you'll come to see how kind and helpful most atheists are, without anyone pushing a preacher's agenda. Let us know if you have questions ... we have lots of answers, and plenty of questions of our own. For now, know that "I don't know" is a better answer than "god did it," because it's honest.  ;)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 08:59:51 AM »
greetings Witchtripper. Welcome.
Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Offline jakec47

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 05:24:24 PM »
Greetings. Sorry for all you went through, glad your at peace now. Sounds like God didn't help you out to much. Thats a shame.