Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 715 times)

Offline Bix12

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Greetings
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:26:53 PM »
Hello, I'm William aka Bix,

I'm not sure how I found this site, perhaps I found it while reading one of my favorite blogs, PZ Meyer's Pharyngula (@  http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula ). No matter, the point is I did find it, and gladly. Being a recent amputee and a longtime nonbeliever in nonsensical mumbo-jumbo, I was initially attracted by the name of the site.

I look forward to a free exchange of ideas, thoughts and opinions, as well as (I hope) some camaraderie.

I was baptized Episcopalian at the tender age of 11 days, and grew up attending church regularly. I began to question the existence of an all-knowing God around the age of 13 or 14. It just never felt real to me, even then. As I got older, and a little less ignorant, the lunacy of a creator became a glaring realization. Add to that the utter hypocrisy of the believers in the Judeo-Christian Bible, and the whole thing became a laughable and sad pile of rubbish.

The realization of what an horrendous injury this belief system has caused, and still causes, to our collective humanity bewilders me no end. I cannot understand how so many are still so blind to this. Gullibility on so massive a scale astonishes me, and causes me to question the point of our very existence, and our future relevance (if any) in this Universe.

Edited to get rid of annoying Courier font GB Mod.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:24:10 PM by Graybeard »

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +770/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:07:37 AM »
Welcome Bix12

Glad you found us. However, I fear your use of Andale Mono will start a font war that eclipses all of our squabbles with godbotherers.   ;D

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:23:55 AM »
Welcome aboard, Bix12. You're among like minds.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »
hello, Bix.  I love Pharyngula too.  :)
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:06:35 PM »
Welcome! Sounds like you'll get along with this forum just fine. :)
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Bix12

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 03:20:39 PM »
<snip>I fear your use of Andale Mono will start a font war</snip>

Ha. I had to look up Andale Mono...(it's called "courier" here)...it said in using that particular font I must be a geek and that I spend way too much time on the internet.  :o

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »
<snip>I fear your use of Andale Mono will start a font war</snip>

Ha. I had to look up Andale Mono...(it's called "courier" here)...it said in using that particular font I must be a geek and that I spend way too much time on the internet.  :o

Don't worry, that's probably most of us here. ;)
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 03:25:18 PM »
Some men just want to watch the world burn...
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 01:21:27 AM »
Gullibility on so massive a scale astonishes me,

That just stimulated a thought:  Gullibility only works well on so massive a scale.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 01:27:12 AM »
I began to question the existence of an all-knowing God around the age of 13 or 14. It just never felt real to me, even then. As I got older, and a little less ignorant, the lunacy of a creator became a glaring realization.

http://atheism.about.com/od/liberationatheology/ig/Unapologetics-Posters/Unapologetics--Omnipresence.htm
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:39:08 AM by Historicity »

Offline freakygin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 01:38:53 AM »
Welcome Bix, enjoy your stay.

Some men just want to watch the world burn...

Alfred? Is that you..?
If you argue correctly, you're never wrong..