Author Topic: Worship me and praise me or else.  (Read 357 times)

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
Worship me and praise me or else.
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:42:50 AM »
Ok, i'm not sure if this topic has been done before, but i have been wondering, why exactly would a God of the Bible require you to praise and worship them? What exactly does it do for him? When i think about it, it really doesn't make any sense to me.

An all powerful being, all knowing and all loving requires his own creation to praise and worship him? What good does it do for the God of the bible? Was it so he could feel special, or so he doesn't feel lonely, or does it seem to be a weak spot that if no one worships him then he disappears into a puff of smoke? And why would a God of the bible threaten you if you do not worship or praise him? What good does that do? It doesn't sound very loving or very smart.

Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Worship me and praise me or else.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:04:32 AM »
Because YHWH is the equivalent of an emotionally immature 2 year-old with severe sociopathic tendencies. It needs constant reminders of how it's been a very good god, or else it gets upset and throws a tantrum.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:17:19 AM »
There you go...thinking again.  Stop that...do you want the house of cards to come crashing down? ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:22:58 AM »
I've always assumed that he is omni-immature.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 09:30:22 AM »
Ok, i'm not sure if this topic has been done before, but i have been wondering, why exactly would a God of the Bible require you to praise and worship them? What exactly does it do for him? When i think about it, it really doesn't make any sense to me.

An all powerful being, all knowing and all loving requires his own creation to praise and worship him? What good does it do for the God of the bible? Was it so he could feel special, or so he doesn't feel lonely, or does it seem to be a weak spot that if no one worships him then he disappears into a puff of smoke? And why would a God of the bible threaten you if you do not worship or praise him? What good does that do? It doesn't sound very loving or very smart.

Obviously you have to be worthy in some way, to get favours from certain gods, so that your crops don't fail. Killing your first-born, and baking the right cakes has been the normal way, in most god-ridden societies, to appease gods. If something bad happens, it's because somebody didn't do something right, so ideally, you should kill that person, and then wear a new set of magic underpants.

It's only recently, since the Son of Man was invented by men, with new laws, to ignore asinine gods.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:40:10 AM »
In a lot of fantasy material it's often used that gods actually draw power from their worshippers. Mortals become gods by being known by more and more people and then being idolized and finally worshipped by groups of people until the collective worship begins to give them special powers. In this sense many gods could be seen as essentially psychic parasites (or symbiots depending on how useful the god is), feeding off of the energy that their worshippers offer up when they prey in order to strengthen their own powers. Hence why gods are constantly concerned with being praised and worshipped and gaining new worshippers. They need people preying to maintain their power and their very existence. It also explains why there is so much competition, there is a limited resource of people who prey, so the gods have to fight for their own cut.

There's a supplemental RPG that used to kick around called The Primal Order (excuse me while I put my nerd hat on for a moment) which is meant to be used in conjunction with most of the big RPG games (DnD, Paladium, etc). It goes into great detail on the nature of gods and pantheons in a fantasy setting with the intention of using them as player characters. It talks about the value of worship, the necessity of choosing your sphere of influence (god fo war, god of death, that sort of thing) in order to market yourself to your target audience. Even if you don't play RPG's the book is still a really good read and it gives a lot of very fascinating insights into how a god would actually work (assuming that you live in a world where there magic and the supernatural of course). You can find downloads of it online.

I've played several campaigns as my own god.

Ok, I'm done releasing my inner nerd. He's back in the cage with a fresh bag of Doritos and Coke. Please continue the discussion as though nothing has happened.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 10:29:30 AM »

Since the god of the bible is a Hebrew/Israelite human made construct, then it does make some sense in that way because for that type of anthropomorphic based god--anything goes. They created him exactly how they liked him.

However, christians of today believe that an imperfect god is impossible--and that the universe was created perfect by a perfect god and that disobedience took away this state of perfection. But, this of course then begs the question as to how a god can have it's perfect plan be ruined and its all powerfulness overcome by a simple act of its less powerful and imperfect creation ? 

The most difficult fact though, is in the ubiquitous idea of a perfect god that requires anything at all, including the need or desire to create. When thinking clearly one sees that the act of creating for a perfect god is a contradiction of terms, self refuting, and that god becomes a logical fallacy unto itself. A perfect god cannot create because that would be trying to claim that it can at the same time as being perfect and without want and not in need of anything, would also be assessing to itself a lack of something that can add to it in some way to make up for that imbalance. It would be saying that although it exists in complete self-sufficiency, some lack in its being had compelled or convinced it that it had a need or desire that must be filled and, astonishingly, the power of this need is greater than the power of this god's ability to be satisfied with this perceived or pointed out lack.

At this point then, the christians have an imperfect god and a gigantic and highly irritating paradox on their hands that, as we have seen, causes them great difficulty and to perform, for all the world to see and hear, some of the most disturbing, laughable and facepalming mental gymnastics that one can witness.

A perfect god does not create anything. It can't based on the fact of its completeness.

Since the universe exists, the conclusion then is obvious  ;) 

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:32:59 AM by gonegolfing »
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline bgb

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • That felt great.
    • BGBART SHIRTS AND GIFTS
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 01:11:07 PM »
Bible god seems to have low self-esteem.  Its believers have to  praise him over & over & and over.
I wouldn't expect this from a true god.  He seems to have quiet a few  human flaws.
"A dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way." -Jules Winnfield

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +597/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 02:48:44 PM »
Bible god seems to have low self-esteem.  Its believers have to  praise him over & over & and over.
I wouldn't expect this from a true god.  He seems to have quiet a few  human flaws.
You'll note that this is not especially different from other religions of the time.