Author Topic: How much water do we have on this planet? This is amazing.  (Read 841 times)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +689/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
The blue ball in this picture represents the total amount of water on planet earth. You know, the one god made for just for us. It can all be contained in a sphere 860 miles across.

Here is the source page with an explanation:

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/2010/gallery/global-water-volume.html

I'll never flush my toilet again.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
Re: How much water do we have on this planet? This is amazing.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:16:02 PM »
Yet according to Jst, this once buried the globe.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:28:54 PM »
Yet according to Jst, this once buried the globe.

Only the shallow end of the pool believe that.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 09:34:24 PM »
The water from the flood created the craters on the moon. &)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Wcxr6KTWIas#t=234s
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 09:42:01 PM »

Only the shallow end of the pool believe that.

Like I said, according to Jst.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 11:39:30 PM »
Now, take that ball of water and show how much of that is drinkable.

I may just not use the toilet at all then!  :o

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 11:41:51 PM »
He should have added mineral-bound water...
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 10:26:29 AM »

I wouldn't recommend that course of action.

There was a report a couple of weeks ago saying there was a hundred times more water under africa than there is on its surface.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17775211

Unfortunately this water is under many countries so who does it belong to? Personally I think water or lack thereof will be the main cause of future wars.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 06:21:23 PM »
Personally I think water or lack thereof will be the main cause of future wars.

Well, at least a much better reason than "My God is better than your God!"

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +689/-3
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 06:35:26 PM »
You are right Frank. There will be water wars. Right now global warming has the glaciers disappearing in the Himalayas, and those glaciers feed water to both India and China. When water gets low for over 1/3 of the worlds population, I doubt very much folks are going to sit around and do nothing.And if they wait so long that it becomes a crisis rather than just a problem to solve, patience will not exist as a virtue.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »
That's amazing. It just doesn't look like it could be true, but I know it is.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 07:29:56 PM »
HA! I posted in another thread that the amount of water required for the Great Flood[1] would be extraordinary. Theists countered that this water came from the mysterious "fountains in the deep" or some BS. Well, considering that the minimum amount of water that would be necessary for the Great Flood,  840,730,240,000,000,000,000 gallons, and considering that on the planet there is 332,500,000 cubic miles of water in total, which is 366,121,451,520,000,000,000 gallons, one can see that there is some disparity of numbers. The amount of water required for the flood would require 2.2963 times the amount of water found on our planet, and that's in addition to the planetary H2O total (since a flood would require water on top of the already existing water), for a total of a staggering 1,206,851,691,520,000,000,000 gallons of water total, or 3.2963 times the actual amount of water. I hereby submit for your approval that, using mathematics, we can actually entirely scientifically disprove the story of Noah's Flood. I'll never say I hate math again.
 1. Not so great if you were destroyed in it, I suppose. Kind of a misnomer really.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 09:01:50 PM »
please people....we can convert salt water with de-salinization plants......how would the powers that be keep control of the population if water was readily available everywhere?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +689/-3
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 09:45:45 PM »
kaziglu, you're not taking into account all the moisture that came from folks peeing their robes when they realized they were all going to die. Add that to your total, big guy!  :D

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +460/-15
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 07:43:47 AM »
I hereby submit for your approval that, using mathematics, we can actually entirely scientifically disprove the story of Noah's Flood. I'll never say I hate math again.
Another fool deluded by Satan. When the Fountains of the Deep broke open, the water under the mantle was ejected. It flooded the earth and them... here's the clever bit... much of it was ejected into space, froze, formed a comet which then hit Mars, flooded Mars and caused all the river valleys we see there - then it evaporated from Mars.

Te Flood on Earth then receded into the same hole but, just at the right time, the hole blocked up with silt and we have the oceans and lakes that we have today.

It's all here:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,17992.msg400281.html#msg400281
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 07:56:49 AM »
That picture won't help convince a theist though - c'mon guys, haven't you learned? All they have to say is Gawd added enough extra water to flood the planet, and then took it away. Even if it violates laws of physics all they have to say is that Gawd can do anything he want with his powers. I thought you all knew how they rationalize their religion by now?

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 10:08:28 AM »
That picture won't help convince a theist though - c'mon guys, haven't you learned? All they have to say is Gawd added enough extra water to flood the planet, and then took it away. Even if it violates laws of physics all they have to say is that Gawd can do anything he want with his powers. I thought you all knew how they rationalize their religion by now?

There was a documentary on TV about the demise of the Mayans. They died out because of drought. Living in the Yutacan penisular there were no rivers or underground water so they were entirely reliant upon rain. Now living in the middle of a rain forest you would think they would have nothing to worry about. But even rain forests have droughts and this one lasted for years. Eventually their reservoirs ran dry. They turned to human sacrifice to appease their gods. Eventually when that didn't work they turned on their leaders, the priest class, those who claimed they could communicate with their gods and wiped them out. After that their civilsation collasped and it's estimated 11 million people died.

They learned two lessons the hard way.

1. There is no God that's going to save you from your own mistakes.
2. No civilsation can survive without water.

Lets hope our civilisation does not have to relearn the same lessons.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 10:15:58 AM »
great image.

and what happens if you start pulling water (or having droughts) from geology that needs the water to remain intact

http://abcnews.go.com/US/sinkhole-horror-familys-florida-house-swallowed/story?id=16275644
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogallala_Aquifer

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 06:20:14 PM »
The blue ball in this picture represents the total amount of water on planet earth. You know, the one god made for just for us. It can all be contained in a sphere 860 miles across.

One thing about the picture. Is that all the water or all the fresh water? It is possible to make salt water drinkable. It's an expensive process but if we had to.............

I just checked the link. Forget I asked.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 06:22:30 PM by Frank »

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »
I have often commented elsewhere in threads that have the oceans as topic, that Earth seems like a stupid name for an obvious water planet.

How wrong I was.

Appearances are skin deep.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +689/-3
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 08:20:37 PM »
great image.

and what happens if you start pulling water (or having droughts) from geology that needs the water to remain intact

http://abcnews.go.com/US/sinkhole-horror-familys-florida-house-swallowed/story?id=16275644
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogallala_Aquifer

Or what happens to good water when you start fracking to get more oil production in the area? It gets contaminated, and that tiny ball in the picture ends up with a pretty rainbow layer of contamination on the surface and we get even sadder.

The good news is that we won't have to screw up much more before we're all dead, and then the earth can set about repairing itself. In a few hundred thousand years nobody will know we were here.

Well, there won't be anybody to not know, but you get what I mean...

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »
All the water on Europa. It's got more than we have! Maybe we could figure out some way to bring it here.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120524.html

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +689/-3
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 11:02:09 AM »
Shhh, don't tell the fundy's. They'll say that is where the flood water came from and went back to.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 12:26:14 PM »
According to the info provided by NASA on the link, using some math, we find that Europa probably has at least 682,611,450,540,000,000,000 gallons of water, which is 1.86443992206972 times the amount of water on Earth. Imagine the possibilities. I'm surprised Aquafina hasn't opening up a bottling facility there yet.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?