Author Topic: Study: Southerners More Willing to Use Violence to Protect Country  (Read 713 times)

Offline pingnak

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/05/03/study-southerners-more-willing-to-use-violence-to-protect-country

His study also accounted for political and religious beliefs and found that southerners, regardless of beliefs, were more likely to advocate violence.

"It's possible that whites in general might become less hostile if they were exposed to people of different ethnic groups and religions on a more regular basis," he says. "The diversity that is more often experienced in the north could tone down some of their hostilities and aggression."

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
Re: Study: Southerners More Willing to Use Violence to Protect Country
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »
To a Southerner it's a matter of proving who is the better man.

A columnist in Cleveland was lieutenant in the Army.  He said if it weren't for Georgia there wouldn't be a United States army.  Typical incident:  At a base in Arizona someone reported a rattlesnake under a refrigerator.  He offered an enlisted man from Georgia a heavy glove the snake could not bite thru.  The Southerner smiled and said it was just a little bitty snake.

Later the Georgians were eating the roasted snake and offered the lieutenant a bite which he turned down.

If the Georgian had been frightened of the snake that would have meant that the snake was the better man.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:30:27 PM »
Here's the full social psych study for those interested. As a country boy born in the south, I can verify that southerners are good at primarily two things: hospitality and violence.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:36:22 PM »
I'm shocked. :o
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +123/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 06:20:58 AM »
More proof that my dick and my god are bigger than your dick and your god.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 06:33:59 AM »
I'm a southerner! Well, Southerner in the UK, also referred to as southern fairies, so maybe our southerners don't quite have the same reputation.  ;)

Though this is interesting information, but I don't think it's all that too surprising, stupid, but not surprising. I can remember speaking to one Southerner who truly believe that the confederacy would wise again and take over America.

But I'm glad they're not all like it and I don't think information like this helps with their image on the rest of the world. It'd be like finding out 75% of the English like tea & crumpets and that 93% of the Irish enjoy drinking lots of alcohol.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »
Now, now, I know you UK blokes like booze, too.  There are few enough Americans who can keep up with the kind of drinking I saw in pubs when I was there.  Go out and get drunk thursday with your coworkers so you can go out and get drunk friday, with your mates. 

I can't seem to remember where I was though.  It all seems like kind of a blur....

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 07:20:43 PM »

I'm a Texan, born and raised and I don't believe I love OUR country more than you. However, I believe you would allow more to befall OUR country before you acted.

Southern hospitality is tolerance. I fully accept that there are those out there who believe differently than I...and so long as they let me be, with a wave and a nod I will send them on their merry way. Only when our way of life is threatened do we become intolerant. These "theoretical terrorists" that you speak of seek to destroy our way of life, not our honor...and that includes the "tolerant North". So while you casually stroll around taking polls and preaching understanding...there are those of us who understand the necessity of meeting violence with violence. Why should I show respect to someone who gives me none. You may believe that makes you a better man...a smarter man...a tolerant man. But I believe you show weakness to those who don't value your sissy "we are the world" crap and therefore invite more violence to your doorstep.

WalkTheWalk of TX

This is a comment from the link. It encapsulates entirely the point of the study. Every man who isn't prepared to meet "violence with violence" is a sissy. Presumably Christ, a man this guy would no doubt profess belief in is a sissy also since he preached turning the other cheek. He even thinks theoretical terrorists are out to destroy his way of life. He claims he wants respect but what he really wants is to be feared.

I'll tell you one thing, this man, and those of his ilk will never be happy because they're too busy being paranoid. Everything is a threat. These are the guys who gravitate to militias, running around in the woods with assault rifles training to fight the New World Order, whatever that is. I'll bet he's got an armoury in his basement.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »
Though I am from the Pacific Northwest, I have done a lot of work in the south and I found that most of the people are genial and friendly. Plus the ribs and catfish are incredible.

Of course I'm white and I'm not a muslim. That might have affected some of my experience.

They do have an attitude though. Macho and swaggery. Lots of pride and sometimes very few brains. As I've joked before, more of them die of "Hey, watch this!" than any other cause.

I will say, though, that while I was in Georgia working on a house a fellow northerner tried to jokingly use the "n" word (that can't be done). The Georgians around us looked shocked and didn't say a word in response. They seemed as stunned as I was. I've no idea why.

I didn't expect that silence, because most of my preconceived notions are pretty accurate.  :)
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +644/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »
Here's the full social psych study for those interested. As a country boy born in the south, I can verify that southerners are good at primarily two things: hospitality and violence.

This sort of explains all the "stand you ground" laws.  All that southern pride cannot tolerate the idea of having to avoid a conflict you didn't start.  So in their minds, you should be able to stand there and shoot the sumbitch.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 03:08:08 AM »
Of course, Southerners would be 'more willing to use violence to protect their country's 'honor', which is kinda stupid.

For various bugs and mayflies out there that are annoying, but aren't a real, existential threat, they'd be more than willing to mobilize the whole military and commit us to war do answer some perceived slight that harms us not in the least.

"Dey said my momma's FAT!  Launch the NUKES!"

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 04:18:17 PM »
It's no secret that down here in the South we have a lot of pride, self confidence, and 'I can do it' attitudes. We are generally conditioned to believe that we are the masters of our own fate (in this life) and we don't take too kindly to authorities usurping our ability to handle our own business. We value strength and have defined the qualities that we believe to be strong as well as weak and we make it a point to berade and point out how the weak qualities will not be accepted. We tolerate any and all things we deem good and not a threat to our autonomy or our ability to lead and influence the family and immediate community we are a part of down the path we "know" to be right. Anything that stands against or threatens our influence down paths of righteousness we oppose and are willing to fight against. When it's time to fight, we through rationality out of the window because when it's fightin' time, all that matters is the 'W'. We must prevail or die trying.

We have a fondness and great deal of appreciation for modern conveniences, but we will be damned if we ever allow ourselves to get to the point where we believe we need those things to live, function, or be happy. Anyone that feels they do need that stuff to exist is someone we have a tendancy to look down on and we pray that those folks eventually find the Lord cause obviously something ain't right with them. We don't spend all of our time asking a lot of deep philosophical questions cause we already know that when it's all said and done that the answers will be supplied to us. That peace of mind frees us up to focus on the things that really matter in life like hard work, family, food, the great outdoors, and football.

In the South, men are men, and ladies wear D-cups. We don't ask, but DEMAND that you don't tell if you play for the wrong team. We believe that what you do in the privacy of your own bedroom is your business, but the minute you make it known publically we got a problem. The kids in our community that we are trying to raise right don't need to know or have any clues about the abominations you practice in your own bedroom. We bleeve it's best you keep that to yurselves and let us tell them the little white lies that Ms. Jane and Ms. Sally are just good friends that enjoy spending time together as opposed to lending the little ones to believe that Ms. Jane and Ms. Sally are actually a couple. As long as Jane and Sally agree to publically promote their relationship on our terms, then they will be fully accepted in our community. After all, it's for the best, we really don't want any unnecessary trouble.   

Offline pingnak

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 07:14:35 PM »
I mostly just sleep in my bedroom. 

You do seem to have a vivid fantasy life.  Abominable as you imagine my life to be, you are imagining and manufacturing 'problems' by implying that not believing in your stupid gods and insane beliefs makes me 'gay'.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +644/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 08:50:37 AM »
In the South, men are men,

Kind of the whole point of the article.  Your primitive machismo and personal honor bullshit is a threat to global peace. 

We don't ask, but DEMAND that you don't tell if you play for the wrong team. We believe that what you do in the privacy of your own bedroom is your business, but the minute you make it known publically we got a problem. The kids in our community that we are trying to raise right don't need to know or have any clues about the abominations you practice in your own bedroom. We bleeve it's best you keep that to yurselves and let us tell them the little white lies that Ms. Jane and Ms. Sally are just good friends that enjoy spending time together as opposed to lending the little ones to believe that Ms. Jane and Ms. Sally are actually a couple. As long as Jane and Sally agree to publically promote their relationship on our terms, then they will be fully accepted in our community. After all, it's for the best, we really don't want any unnecessary trouble.

wtf does this homophobic rant have to do with the topic?  In the North, this^ is the sort of thing we expect you keep private.  Not because it is ugly and we don't want to hear it,[1] but because it identifies you as the asshole bigot in the room. 

Tot, your post reminds of another article I read about psychopath CEOs.  They are much more common than anyone would guess and the author interviewed the former CEO (and obvious psychopath) of Sunbeam, Al "chainsaw" Dunlap.  He went through the "psyshopath checklist" with Al and Al redefined every single item as a positive trait that helped him in business.

You have taken the Masculine honor ideology[2] and tried to spin it into something positive.  And for sure, I agree with some of the points.  But taken as a whole, it is an appeal to your reptilian brain and a step backward, culturally.  It is the type of thing that, if we all thought that way, would lead to the fall of civilization.  Try to wrap your head around that, rather than just thumping your chest and defending it.

1. though it is and we don't
 2. link in Zankuu's post
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline pingnak

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »
Actually, North, West, East...  'Everywhere Else'.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +123/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »
Kind of the whole point of the article.  Your primitive machismo and personal honor bullshit is a threat to global peace. 

I took the post as some kind of sarcastic rant ... I hope?

Tot, your post reminds of another article I read about psychopath CEOs.  They are much more common than anyone would guess ...

Oh, not me. Rocks sink, gases expand and rise. The higher people go up the chain, the wierder and more demanding they become. I could tell you some amazing stories of some people who rose up just short of becoming the CEO. One was amazingly out of touch with the laws of physics, not to mention personal safety of everyone involved.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 08:42:35 PM »

I took the post as some kind of sarcastic rant ... I hope?

Glad you caught it. Was it really that veiled?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +644/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:01 AM »
Glad you caught it. Was it really that veiled?

I totally missed it.  My sincere apologies.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials