Author Topic: Bleh, here at work everyone just ran out to parking lot for  (Read 396 times)

Offline Tinyal

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +25/-1
'National Day of Prayer' - here I am, at work at what's supposed to be an institution of higher learning (public college) - and 85% of the employees, along with about 1500 students, all ran outside to the flagpole to pray around the flag...
Even announced it so that 'everyone can have a chance to participate'....

Stupidity - how the hell are we supposed to train young minds in critical thinking when they let classes out to pray???

Sometimes, I lose all hope in today's society...

:(
Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Bleh, here at work everyone just ran out to parking lot for
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »
Has the flag pole become the new cross?  I wonder what % went outside just to get a break from class and/or peer pressure.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Tinyal

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +25/-1
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »
From what I can tell, nearly all of them are chanting to some invisible madman, pretending to be all solemn and suchlike...

Would be funny if it wasn't so sad :(

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:28:06 PM »
 Thats a sad commentary on the state of higher learning in America. Are you in the bible belt somewhere or is this a national display of senseless behavior? We can be observant and philosophic about these events by reciting ancient learned expressions such as: Shit happens.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 04:00:03 PM »
Well, I'm sure after a day like this all of the country"s problems have been solved.  Thanks God.

Offline Tinyal

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +25/-1
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 04:29:24 PM »
Thats a sad commentary on the state of higher learning in America. Are you in the bible belt somewhere or is this a national display of senseless behavior? We can be observant and philosophic about these events by reciting ancient learned expressions such as: Shit happens.

Am not in the bible belt - but in California (the land of Fruit & Nuts!)...however, even though CA is known for liberalism, that only applies to the coastal areas.  Inland - where I live and work, am surrounded by prayer breakfasts, Tea party get-togethers, global warming deniers, white skinheads, and thugish republicanism.

Over the last decade, I've been trying to figure out if I can afford to move to somewhere - anywhere - more 'reality based' (lol, they actually put that in quotes in the local paper here), but it's financially impossible for the next few years....

So I suffer along, with lifelines here on WWGHA - for which I am very grateful!

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 04:44:50 PM »
I think you should put on a stereotypical African witchdoctor outfit and go dancing around the pole yelling gibberish. When any one comments I'd retort that it has as much basis in reality as their religion.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 05:22:02 PM »
Tinyal; When you do move away from the fruits and nuts, your choices of location will be pretty slim. Kansas, Texas, and Iowa are out. Miss, Alabama, Georgia, and parts of Florida are disqualified. Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and West Virginia are not very attractive for our purposes. To hell with Alaska, it has polar bears and Palin. What a dilemma.

We should attempt to identify an area that is not so completely saturated with willing and happily self deluded people. I think, hmmm........, maybe Vermont, possibly New Hampshire. There is always Canada.  Recently published assesments of the least religious countries, put Japan in first place. The Scandinavians and east European countries are not too far behind.

What do the rest of you think?

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 06:09:35 PM »
The coastal and urban Pacific Northwest. Seattle and Portland. Ecotopia. Come to the light. :D
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 06:16:40 PM »
You know, this big prayer day fell the day before Star Wars day.  I'm not quite sure what Star Wars day is, but lots of people on my fb page seem to be celebrating, and saying things like "May the 4th be with you."

The week started out with Beltaine and international workers day and whatnot.  And tomorrow is both 5 de Mayo and the supermoon!

I think that it is clear that this is a very sacred week.  And I've done nothing to celebrate. 

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 07:33:44 PM »

Over the last decade, I've been trying to figure out if I can afford to move to somewhere - anywhere - more 'reality based' (lol, they actually put that in quotes in the local paper here), but it's financially impossible for the next few years....

So I suffer along, with lifelines here on WWGHA - for which I am very grateful!

Come to the UK. We can't offer you the Californian weather but we don't make idiots of ourselves with "prayer days"
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »
Come to the UK. We can't offer you the Californian weather but we don't make idiots of ourselves with "prayer days"

Frank, are there any religious nutters in your country?

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 07:53:55 PM »

Yes there are. Granted they don't have such big mouths, but they exist.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »

Of course there but we keep them on a short leash. We use America and the muslim theocracies as examples of what happens when you let the lunatics take over the asylum.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Tinyal

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +25/-1
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 12:03:28 PM »
I'm grateful for the suggestions - and the  invites!  The pacific NW is a bit too (wet, cold) for my bones, and at retirement (6 years from now) it'll be even worse.

I'm of full English ancestry,  with distant cousins and aunts over there who haven't a clue I exist -  so perhaps it's time to consider heading back to the origin....

:)

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +687/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 12:18:06 PM »
Tinyal

Just a note. I am from the Pacific Northwest (Eugene, Oregon originally) and I spent three years in England while in the Air Force.

Oregon weather is far far far far far far far far far far far better.

IMHO.

Apologies to Sep and Graybeard and our other UK members. But as with religion, I have to be honest.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »
Has the flag pole become the new cross? 

I heard of it before.  It's a custom spread from Texas high schools.  I read in in the testimonial (on another site) of an atheist girl in a Texas high school who figured it makes a better antenna for prayers.  She recalls walking with a new friend and they came to the flagpole and the new girl leaned against it and gripped it and moved her lips silently while the writer paused politely in dismay to wait it out.  Then the new girl finished and smiled and said, "Atheists rule."  Which was a relief.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »
Texas !!!  Sound have figured that.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 04:36:06 PM »
Seems to me that God shouldn't have any trouble hearing their prayers without any such thing as an "antenna".  Unless they're concerned that there are so many people praying that they have to make their prayers louder in order for them to be heard?

You know, I wonder why theists don't use the number of prayers as an excuse for why God doesn't answer more of them?

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 09:53:04 PM »
Antennae? Isn't that concept related to that evil science?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.