Author Topic: NC Christian pasters advocates violence against children to quash homosexualism  (Read 701 times)

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
Note that I didn't put this in the news section or in the sex section because I have another question about this. First check this out:
http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2012/05/video-amendment1-pastor-gives-parents-special-dispensation-to-use-violence-against-lgbt-kids-4marriagenc.html

TRANSCRIPT: "So your little son starts to act a little girlish when he is four years old and instead of squashing that like a cockroach and saying, “Man up, son, get that dress off you and get outside and dig a ditch, because that is what boys do,” you get out the camera and you start taking pictures of Johnny acting like a female and then you upload it to YouTube and everybody laughs about it and the next thing you know, this dude, this kid is acting out childhood fantasies that should have been squashed.
Can I make it any clearer? Dads, the second you see your son dropping the limp wrist, you walk over there and crack that wrist. Man up. Give him a good punch. Ok? You are not going to act like that. You were made by God to be a male and you are going to be a male. And when your daughter starts acting to Butch you reign her in. And you say, “Oh, no, sweetheart. You can play sports. Play them to the glory of God. But sometimes you are going to act like a girl and walk like a girl and talk like a girl and smell like a girl and that means you are going to be beautiful. You are going to be attractive. You are going to dress yourself up.”
You say, “Can I take charge like that as a parent?”
Yeah, you can. You are authorized. I just gave you a special dispensation this morning to do that."

OK my questions I put forth are:

Is this not inciting child abuse that could or should be actionable in court? When are atheists going to be able to bring these abusers to justice? 10yrs? 100yrs?

Do the board's theists think that this sermon is inspired by the holy spirit, and if not, how could he speak with the authority of the pulpit and yet god still speak to and guide him without correcting or punishing him for this? Is it not a coincidence that his homo bigotry just happens to coincide with the message god leads him to preach to his flock? How amazing is it that god has the same hatred as he does?
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
I find this so disturbing, I have no words.

Yes, he is suggesting child abuse.  But perhaps even more importantly, he is suggesting that parents reject who their children are, rather than love them for who they are. 

My heart breaks for children growing up in homes of this pastor's flock. 

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I can't really relate to homosexuals - I don't have much knowledge there - but I can say that when I see people from Kansas churches holding up signs saying 'God hates you', it makes me pretty pissed.  It makes me pissed because they are Christians, they are supposed to be Christians, they are supposed to walk, talk, and act like good Jesus-following Christians, and yet they have completely missed the message. (To relate back to the story) 

Therefore, I should give them my best right hook?  I guess that's what this pastor is saying I should do, as an authority on God..

More seriously, from what I understand most children don't get to choose their sexual orientation as they develop, afaik they are born that way.  I can't say for certain if parenting or the environment the child is raised in plays any kind of factor, or if it has been studied.  I will say that it is disgusting that Christians go out of their way to hate people, even if it's their own kids, and even though they may not even be right in both their viewpoint of the child and aren't right with the reaction to that viewpoint, such as the resulting abuse, which has major consequences to the kid developing into an adult...
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Give that 4 year old a cig, beer, and a gun. He will be just fine.

We are a doomed people.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
I find this so disturbing, I have no words.

Yes, he is suggesting child abuse.  But perhaps even more importantly, he is suggesting that parents reject who their children are, rather than love them for who they are. 

My heart breaks for children growing up in homes of this pastor's flock.
In the good old days they would just stone them to death.....why would they abandon the word of God in fear of punishment from their fellow man?..disobedience brings eternal torture.....can't be worse than a few years in jail
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
News this morning was that the pastor said 'I was just joking to hit your child'... In later news, it was the nephew of the pastor the falsely predicted the end of the world on the radio a couple of times...   :police:
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
golly, what a "good Christian"!   And in fact they are. All this asshole is missing is telling his congregation that it'd fine to sell their daughters and to stone their sons to death if they "act up". 

his "special dispensation" is hopefully going to have trouble with Child Protective Services.  IMO, anyone who goes to that church should be automatically under suspicious of child abuse.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
Maybe it will make the people of NC think about who they are standing with should they be considering voting for this amendment, although I'm not holding my breath.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
News this morning was that the pastor said 'I was just joking to hit your child'..
Gosh .. I wish it was more clear, was it god making a joke as he spoke through the preacher, or was it the preacher joking that he'd portray his message from god as a joke?

Actually I think It's a trinity of jokes: A joke of a man, with a joke of a god, made a joke of a jackass statement.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
I listened to that audio clip yesterday and it made my skin crawl! He was not "just kidding", dude was very volatile and passionate about his desires to smack children. I can't put in to words how disgusted I was by his sermon, and saddened that someone will take his message to heart and cause trauma their child. I highly doubt there's anything we as a society can do to stop it. The only suggestion I have is to speak up and spread the word. When you see stuff like this share it with your friends and family, pass the message that child abuse is not okay, even if it's in the name of god. And if you see a child's parent abusing them in this or any manor report it to authorities.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Online stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
So God creates this child with certain traits, and then God instructs the keepers of his religion to have the minions beat the traits out of His creation. 
There is logic in there somewhere. 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
News this morning was that the pastor said 'I was just joking to hit your child'...

"I was just joking" is abuser-speak.  I think his spouse and any kids would be better off far, far away from him.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
his "special dispensation" is hopefully going to have trouble with Child Protective Services.  IMO, anyone who goes to that church should be automatically under suspicious of child abuse.

I agree. Unless they stand up and reject his thoughts, which they didn't, then they are going to follow that pastor on everything he says.

... or so according to Sarah Palin about Obama and Jeremiah Wright ...  what's good for one Christian should be good for another, yeah?

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Aceluffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
What a repulsive teaching  >:(

I have no hope left for theists if they think it's okay to "punch" their children just because a crazy lunatic pastor gave them "special dispensation" to do so.

You know what's even sicker ? As I posted this link in my FB group, some of my Christian friends actually approve of this. Now I know what's the function of that "unfriend" button
If we were made in His image, then why aren't humans invisible too?

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
Yup Christianity. Where there's no problem a good beating can't solve.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
The Pastor isn't a Jeremy Clarkson, he's not making offensive jokes to get a rise out of people as it's job as a comedian. A pastor who has an authority on God is giving you special permission to hit your gay kids and suggesting you actually do it, what's he going to think people are going to think? Something people already think is a good idea.

I suspect he's only saying it's a joke because he's got into some trouble or had a lot of stick.

As if we don't have too much discrimination and abuse in the world already. You know, it's the same people that like to claim to be persecuted by atheists, perhaps they should learn what 'real' persecution is like - I mean, as a straight, brownish blonde haired, blue eyed, white, English atheist living in England where being an atheist isn't a big deal. Also I can speak German so even Hitler would have loved me. So I'm hardly an authority on it. People who discriminate should learn first hand what it's like to be discriminated against.

The real unfortunate thing is that it's this sort of thing that leads people to suicide.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline IAmFirst

How is this even surprising? I can remember priests and nuns making up answers to every difficult question when I was a kid, and most of them being on the violent side. Using phrases like "fight against it", "it's a war you need to join", "we need to stab the hearts of the unholy", etc.

The more devout, the more violent. What they don't seem to understand is that violence begets violence, and not always the kind of xtian violence they're expecting.

Thing that's scary is there's supposedly 500 thousand votes backing this. I wonder how many of those alleged backers have a homosexual in their family that they feel completely and holy justified by shunning. Or even how many already beat their kids to begin with.
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

Offline Bix12

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Every word out of this hate mongers mouth is offensive to just about everyone on one level or another...excepting his flock, of course. They agree with him absolutely. He's merely giving voice to what they're all thinking, and more horrifically, permission to act on those thoughts.

Here we have yet another example of how religion allows us, even condones us, to behave in truly monstrous ways. I'm sure most of us here can't imagine beating our children, especially in the ways he advocates, but add heavy doses of religion and ignorance into the mix, and we humans are libel to do anything. History has proved that time and time again.

Other than the few small pockets of sanity we might find scattered here and there, I fear true clarity of thought will forever elude us. Our brains just aren't wired that way.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:47:38 AM by Bix12 »