Author Topic: jesus doesn't heal cancer  (Read 191 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
jesus doesn't heal cancer
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:55:50 AM »
at least in New Zealand such lies can't be used as billboards. 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6835139/Ruling-Jesus-doesn-t-heal-cancer

A church billboard proclaiming that "Jesus Heals Cancer" has breached advertising standards by suggesting the church can offer something other churches cannot, the Advertising Standards Authority has ruled.

Napier's Equippers Church had a billboard saying "Jesus heals cancer - church but not as you know it."

It drew a number of complaints including from a mother whose son had cancer.

"As the mother of a three-year-old boy who has spent the past 18 months fighting against leukaemia, I find the above billboard offensive and upsetting," the complainant, identified only as Jody Condin, wrote.

"It shows no compassion and understanding to those in our community that have journeyed through cancer and lost loved ones."

In her initial complaint, Condin said the billboard made her blood boil "and brings back sad memories of those I have lost in my life due to cancer. It is false advertising." She said the billboard was dangerous and deceptive as it could potentially offer false hope and lure in the vulnerable in their time of illness and sadness.

"I would be more than happy if this billboard was to read 'Jesus Heals' and that way it could be interpreted to mean he heals spiritually/emotionally which I believe is more along the lines of what the church are trying to say."

Sad that they fail in healing anyone of *anything* (emotional and "spiritual" included) by their supposed magical powers.  Theist claims always be under such scrutiny and they should be required to put up billboards admiting that they've lied.  "We've claimed Jesus heals but we're idiots who will make up excuses why your loved ones died/commited suicide/needed psych drugs." 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: jesus doesn't heal cancer
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:01:30 AM »
Wow. The comment section is full of retards spouting Pascal's Wager and the lies that they wanted to put in that billboard.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 10:13:37 AM »
Good for this woman standing up to this bs.  Not only can't He heal amputees...He can't do cancer either.  I think we need to shop around for a new God.  This one has become a wimp.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 10:17:44 AM »
I spent the better part of a year in treatments for breast cancer, and there were a number of people, especially online, who wanted to treat ONLY with prayer and herbs and such. I felt so sad for them. My doctors had so many stories of such. By the time these people realized that prayer and herbs weren't working the cancer was too advanced for them to be saved. Religious people tell me, "thank god you're better." No. Thank you surgeon, thank you oncologist, thank you radiation oncologist, thank you nurses, thank you blood donors, thank you med techs, etc. ....
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.