Author Topic: Welcome to the Shelter Theist  (Read 373 times)

Online junebug72

• Fellow
  • Darwins +111/-102
  • just given the dog a bone
Welcome to the Shelter Theist
« on: January 23, 2015, 05:20:49 PM »
This is a great place to start.  Trust me. 

There's no shame the only difference is certain members that are quick tempered are not allowed and there can only be 2-3 responses at a time. 

I totally support this shelter for new theist.

Have a great Day! 

LOOK DEEP INTO NATURE AND YOU WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING BETTER...ALBERT EINSTEIN

Offline b.a.worldchanger

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Welcome to the Shelter Theist
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 03:20:52 AM »
This is a great place to start.  Trust me. 

There's no shame the only difference is certain members that are quick tempered are not allowed and there can only be 2-3 responses at a time. 

I totally support this shelter for new theist.

Have a great Day!

This sounds like a place I should probably start...as, I simply don't have the time to be overwhelmed by too many replies at once.  Time is limited for me, so hoping there will actually be some discussions to participate in here. 

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +144/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
I enjoyed using the Shelter when I was a theist.  I had a couple mildly interesting threads.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline b.a.worldchanger

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 02:01:38 AM »
Lori, so you came here a theist and left an atheist or agnostic?

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +144/-6
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 12:41:42 PM »
Yes, I realized there was no god showing up in my life at a time when it was crucial for a god to be there if there was one.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +118/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:59:51 PM »
Yes, I realized there was no god showing up in my life at a time when it was crucial for a god to be there if there was one.

YMMV, but I tend to think that it all comes down to expectations.  If you are predisposed to believing in a deity, you will have certain expectactions on how that deity interacts with your life.  "God never gives you more than you can handle" is a common phrase I've heard among theists, the implication being you might have some difficulty, but there's some higher reason for it.  And thus, you are more accepting/forgiving if you don't get "help."  Further, you will most likely attribute any help you get, to your deity.

I believe that non-theists (or, at least some) see that expectation as something of a sham.  It's an explanation/rationalization of a theist's faith, an attempt to explain away "why bad things happen to good people" in a wya that allows for the theist to maintian faith.  A non-theist is much more likely, IMHO, to attribute personal difficulties to either bad choices, or "sh1t happens."  And they attribute help they get directly to whomever is providing the help.

I don't mean to put words in her mouth, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that Lori's experiences were at least somewhat indicative of this phenomenon...when the realization hits that "hey, an omnipotent being should be able to give me SOME help here..." that's when faith can start to crumble.
...religion is simply tribalism with a side order of philosophical wankery, and occasionally a baseball bat to smash...anyone who doesn't show...deference to the tribe's chosen totem.

~Astreja

To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place.

~Sam Harris

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +144/-6
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 02:13:52 PM »

I don't mean to put words in her mouth, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that Lori's experiences were at least somewhat indicative of this phenomenon...when the realization hits that "hey, an omnipotent being should be able to give me SOME help here..." that's when faith can start to crumble.

That pretty much nails it.  I was to the point where I had pretty much given up on the bible and my god was all SPAG anyway.  So, when he did not step up to the plate...  he had to be traded for the reality that he was just like Santa and Easter Bunny.  It is much better now knowing that I am not being either punished or abandoned every time something bad happens to me.

Offline b.a.worldchanger

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 02:52:06 PM »
Thanks Boots and Lori for the additional explanation.  I have often wondered where Theists come up with the idea that "God won't give you more than you can handle."  That certainly isn't found anywhere in Scripture, but seems to be common in Western Christian circles and Evangelical Christianity.  It's hard to make this claim in light of the fact that nearly all the original disciples were martyred, some brutally.  Stephen, one of the first deacons, was stoned just a few chapters later in Acts.  Jesus himself suffered and died on a cross, though he was without sin.  Paul was imprisoned, beaten to the point of death, and eventually martyred.  Christians in the Middle East are beheaded for their faith, including women and children.  My friend, Saeed, sits in prison in Iran, apart from his wife Nagmeh and their two kids, for nothing other than his belief in Christ.  Those all sound like more than "I" can handle, and Christianity is not a replacement for suffering.  In fact, Jesus, Peter and Paul all affirm that living a life in pursuit of Christ will result in persecution, at some level. 

I appreciate your honesty and explanation, it sounds like it must have been a pretty difficult season in life.

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +205/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 06:24:43 PM »
...[snip]...

In fact, Jesus, Peter and Paul all affirm that living a life in pursuit of Christ will result in persecution, at some level. 

I'm very happy that I am not living a life in pursuit of Christ Jesus! The sad part, to me anyway, is that Jesus was probably a common street preacher with a message he felt was important enough to evangelize, and here we are thousands of years later watching people suffer in his name. Men like Jesus were likely a very common site during that time. Too bad, really.