Author Topic: EV's Composition and Music Thread  (Read 1841 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Re: EV's Composition and Music Thread
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 07:44:21 AM »
The ivory tinklers are pretty good, but the bloke on the strings is a bit of a hack.

Which one are you, anyway?

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +272/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 12:15:37 AM »
I watched both versions of "Hooked on Classics."  How did you manage to compress an entire year's worth of community band/orchestra repertoire into a mere seven minutes ?  ;D  Some of the transitions were really funny (Chariots of Fire into the William Tell Overture, for one).

The first version had better camera work, but in the Steinway Hall version the piano sounded gorgeous.  Unfortunately, it was cranked up so high that there were parts where I could barely hear the viola.  If there was some way to get the best of both worlds (lots of camera angles and a good balance between piano and viola), I can see this being a YouTube hit.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »
I watched both versions of "Hooked on Classics."  How did you manage to compress an entire year's worth of community band/orchestra repertoire into a mere seven minutes ?  ;D  Some of the transitions were really funny (Chariots of Fire into the William Tell Overture, for one).

Hi Astreja!

We don't know, it kinda just happened. It's based on a record by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra back in 1982 of the same name: ( ). We added a lot more to it- mostly film music! It's already gone platinum in the USA.

The camera stuff was tricky. This version is only DVD-Rip quality. I am still waiting to get a hold of the HD footage, but to cut a long story short, we may have been on Britain's Got Talent the other week, so we had to have some footage uploaded. The Viola was not mic-ed in Steinway, so it is hard to hear.

Thanks for your feedback! Really glad you enjoyed it :)
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 05:47:47 PM »
I have that record.  On vinyl.  I'm so old.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 01:43:47 PM »
New composition for Solo Oboe, performed by a good friend of mine (Meredith Hughes) who is also going to the Royal College of Music next year.

Also, would like to share my redeveloped website: http://www.elliotviola.co.uk

Thanks as ever all. Sorry I've been inactive on the forum as of late, hoping to get back on in the Summer.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 08:59:59 PM »
As a former music major I remember what it's like to have no life...
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2013, 12:29:08 PM »
I have just completed top secret project that I've been dying to share with the world for months... My first soundtrack commission has just been finished and published- a piece of music to accompany a book by a phenomenal debut author and friend - the wonderful Monica Sanz.

Please have a listen, and let me know what you think! I'm thrilled to have been working with Monica, she's a very talented writer. (go and buy her book- there's a link in the YouTube description!)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +546/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »
A well-composed piece. Restrained but powerful, it builds and holds a tension appropriate to the novel and its subject throughout. A very professional and original composition. The author of the book must be delighted.

Using this thread as a diary, you must be very pleased with you progress. You have reached the level of skill where I am no longer listening for a less than perfectly written passage, but more the music is flowing naturally, effortlessly, fluently; there are no shocks or clashes of style within a theme, but there are small and pleasing incidents - asides - that make the listener aware that he is following the journey.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”