Poll

Do you ever vote in thread polls?

Yes
5 (50%)
No
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Is this Abraham Lincoln quote genuine?  (Read 509 times)

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
Is this Abraham Lincoln quote genuine?
« on: July 03, 2010, 08:51:24 AM »
I came across this letter supposedly written by Abraham Lincoln to his son's teacher.

Googling it, I can only find it quoted on forums and blogs.

Can anyone tell me if it's genuine? And give a proper source for it? Thanks.

LETTER FROM ABRAHAM LINCOLN TO HIS SON’S TEACHER

“My son starts school today. It is all going to be strange and new to him for a while and I wish you would treat him gently. It is an adventure that might take him across continents. All adventures that probably include wars, tragedy and sorrow. To live this life will require faith, love and courage.

So dear Teacher, will you please take him by his hand and teach him things he will have to know, teaching him - but gently, if you can. Teach him that for every enemy, there is a friend. He will have to know that all men are not just, that all men are not true. But teach him also that for every scoundrel there is a hero, that for every crooked politician, there is a dedicated leader.

Teach him if you can that 10 cents earned is of far more value than a dollar found. In school, teacher, it is far more honorable to fail than to cheat. Teach him to learn how to gracefully lose, and enjoy winning when he does win.

Teach him to be gentle with people, tough with tough people. Steer him away from envy if you can and teach him the secret of quiet laughter. Teach him if you can - how to laugh when he is sad, teach him there is no shame in tears. Teach him there can be glory in failure and despair in success. Teach him to scoff at cynics.

Teach him if you can the wonders of books, but also give time to ponder the extreme mystery of birds in the sky, bees in the sun and flowers on a green hill. Teach him to have faith in his own ideas, even if every one tell him they are wrong.

Try to give my son the strength not to follow the crowd when everyone else is doing it. Teach him to listen to every one, but teach him also to filters all that he hears on a screen of truth and take only the good that comes through.

Teach him to sell his talents and brains to the highest bidder but never to put a price tag on his heart and soul. Let him have the courage to be impatient, let him have the patient to be brave. Teach him to have sublime faith in himself, because then he will always have sublime faith in mankind, in God.

This is the order, teacher but see what best you can do. He is such a nice little boy and he is my son."

Offline abecedarian

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-1
    • Goosebook
Re: Is this Abraham Lincoln quote genuine?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 09:25:05 AM »
Its quite possibly not genuine Gnu - I found this letter which is discussing the matter

http://josecarilloforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=7.0
AGNOTOLOGY: "The study of deliberately created ignorance-such as the falsehoods about evolution that are created by creationists".

Offline knot

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Just a little bit to your right.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »
Didn't do any search other than this.

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865) served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. He successfully led his country through its greatest internal crisis, the American Civil War, preserving the Union and ending slavery. Before his election in 1860 as the first Republican president, Lincoln had been a country lawyer, an Illinois  state legislator, a member of the United States House of Representatives, and twice an unsuccessful candidate for election to the U.S. Senate. As an outspoken opponent of the expansion of slavery in the United States,[1]  Lincoln won the Republican Party nomination in 1860 and was elected president  later that year. His tenure in office was occupied primarily with the defeat of the secessionist Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. He introduced measures that resulted in the abolition  of slavery, issuing his Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 and promoting the passage of the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution. Six days after the large-scale surrender of Confederate forces under General Robert E. Lee, Lincoln became the first American president to be assassinated. Wikipedia

10 cents,  a dollar,   writing style .   Could not have been wrote from a person with these credentials .
The truth is the most important thing that there is, yet it is the least popular thing on Earth. And, obviously, this discrepancy is not by chance, but rather, by design-the truth is being actively suppressed.
In A Time Of Universal Deceit, Telling The Truth Becomes A Revolutionary Act George Orwel

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 10:16:50 AM »
Thanks, Trish. That journalist seems to have confirmed that it's unsourced:

Roger Norton, a retired American history teacher who maintains a very comprehensive web site on Lincoln, gave me this assessment: “I have been asked about this letter before, particularly from folks in India where the letter seems to have the widest circulation. There is no source for it. It is bogus. I have over 280 Abraham Lincoln books, including The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln, and this letter is in none of them.

knot:
10 cents,  a dollar,   writing style .   Could not have been wrote from a person with these credentials
Indeed. That's what aroused my suspicions.

Offline abecedarian

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +7/-1
    • Goosebook
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 01:40:36 PM »
My pleasure Gnu x
AGNOTOLOGY: "The study of deliberately created ignorance-such as the falsehoods about evolution that are created by creationists".

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »
Cool, Trish.

So, how's my poll doing?

Oh. Not very well.

<sigh>

Come on people, I need more data for it to be statistically significant.

Electoral apathy is the achilles heel of democracy.

So use it, or lose it.

I'm not joking.

Offline knot

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Just a little bit to your right.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 02:31:41 AM »
How would you calculate for the ones that would vote no they wouldn't vote when you ask them too vote?

For if I answered no on this poll on whether I vote, would it be a lie?

It would be interesting of finding out who did write those words.

The truth is the most important thing that there is, yet it is the least popular thing on Earth. And, obviously, this discrepancy is not by chance, but rather, by design-the truth is being actively suppressed.
In A Time Of Universal Deceit, Telling The Truth Becomes A Revolutionary Act George Orwel

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 05:24:46 AM »
Roger Norton, a retired American history teacher who maintains a very comprehensive web site on Lincoln, gave me this assessment: “I have been asked about this letter before, particularly from folks in India where the letter seems to have the widest circulation.

Bolded text - Anyone care to speculate why this might be?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline emilysmith

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • ChillMill World
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 06:02:49 AM »
i am learning law of attraction since two years and i have been a great fan of Abraham hicks. i believe that she has a different approach to LOA and her teachings resonates with me a lot.
but i don't know why i am starting to doubt her teachings as nothing is changing in my reality despite of so much effort.
lots of my friends who do believe 100% in law of attraction says that Abraham hicks is a scam ans fraud.
they said that i should quit listening to her and invest in lot of other loa teachers such are rhonda , bob protactor etc
what do you think guys ?
 do you think she is scam ? has anyone of you changed your life with Abraham technique ?
please help me gain clarity on this
i shall be very thankful to you :)
Learn About Education | Watch Live TV

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 06:40:12 AM »
Hello Emilysmith,

First, this thread is about Abraham Lincoln, second it is three years old. Please do not post in threads that are over, say, 3 months old.

I will leave your post here for a while. You may wish to copy it and post it elsewhere ('Chat' would be an idea.)

GB Moderator
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”