Author Topic: Moral laws of the Bible  (Read 13451 times)

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +25/-102
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Moral laws of the Bible
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2012, 08:03:37 PM »
you certainly aren't suggesting we interpret it by making up any rationalization possible to confirm a presupposed conditional belief?

Yes I guess I am.  That presupposed conditional belief would be to simply believe only three words in the Bible.  "God is love"

I mean when you're interpretting the Bible at least give him the benefit of doubt.  Don't ask yourself "would a god of love do this", but rather "why would a god of love do this?"  And then really try to figure it out.  Then see if your conclusion is in harmony with everything else the Bible teaches.

I believe, interpreted correctly, the Bible can stand on it's own merits as proof of God's existence.  The book itself is perfect.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »
When can I expect you to answer for the fallacies you've used over and over and over and over?
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2012, 08:06:50 PM »
you certainly aren't suggesting we interpret it by making up any rationalization possible to confirm a presupposed conditional belief?

Yes I guess I am.  That presupposed conditional belief would be to simply believe only three words in the Bible.  "God is love"

Why would you ever do something so delusional and personally intellectually dishonest?

I mean when you're interpretting the Bible at least give him the benefit of doubt.  Don't ask yourself "would a god of love do this", but rather "why would a god of love do this?"  And then really try to figure it out.  Then see if your conclusion is in harmony with everything else the Bible teaches.

I'm not intellectually dishonest.

Why would I ever do that?

I believe, interpreted correctly, the Bible can stand on it's own merits as proof of God's existence.  The book itself is perfect.

But you're not 'interpreting' anything 'correctly', your confirming what you want to believe and delusional compartmentalizing towards that presuppositional.

In fact, such a hideously stupid rationale can ( and does ) arrive to ANY conclusion, with no means to determine anything correct!
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2012, 08:07:28 PM »
So I asked about NT law.

Matthew 5: 17-20 - I have not come to abolish the old law, I have come to fulfil it.
2 Timothy 3:16 - ALL scripture is inspired by God
2 Peter 20-21 - No scripture is up to personal interpretation
Mark 7: 5-13 - Jesus criticising those who ignore God's teachings for human rules. Then Jesus quotes one of Moses' teachings from the Old Testament, "Anyone who curses their father or mother must be put to death"

Just to start.

Basically what these NT laws are saying is:

See OT. Its laws are still valid.

So now...it's relevant to add some of those Old Testament teachings in, in fact, I'll just copy and paste my signature:

Deuteronomy 13:1-5: Murder false prophets.
Leviticus 20:13: Murder homosexuals
Deuteronomy 22:28: Rapists must marry their victims.
Deuteronomy 22:23: Stone rape victims to death if they did not scream. Because they are guilty of the crime.

These are only but a few of the moral laws I find abhorrent in the bible. Before I get the usual, "but you're quoting out of context", I have purposefully read each of the chapters these quotes come from to ensure I'm not somehow misreading them.

No.  Obvsiously people largely don't agree with OT law.

Whilst this is a good thing. Jesus doesn't want you to disagree with the Old Law, if you do then like the Jews in Mark 7, you are a hypocrite, that is exactly what Jesus called them:

Quote from: Mark 7
“Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:

“‘These people honor me with their lips,
    but their hearts are far from me.
7 They worship me in vain;
    their teachings are merely human rules.’

You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.

I am perfectly happy with hypocritical Christians because they're replacing God's law with the far superior human law. Plus, they're not trying to kill me because I'm a non-believer - though with some of the bigoted Christians out there am I worried that one day that may change. On the other hand, I like Christians who admit that the bible is just a story book written by stone age men, however, we don't see many of those here.

What about my morals? I'm a moral relativist, I agree with some of the morality from Buddhism (hence atheist Buddhist) and base my moral judgements on what causes the least amount of suffering, or at least, what I perceive to be the least amount of suffering because you don't necessarily know what the consequences of your actions will always be. That's probably about as basic of a summary as I can make it.

So, you can see why I reject so many of the bible's laws, the bible's laws love suffering. Heck, Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe blood transfusions are right, resulting in the deaths of children who might have lived if their JW parents allowed it.

Because I took the time to check all those bible quotes and read the chapters they were in to ensure their accuracy and context in order to answer your OP, I've quoted myself, because JWB, you're still claiming the bible teaches good morals and you're attributing bad things to the morals of man and deny that the bible has not caused this bloodshed but it is all on the hands of man. This would leave me to believe you disagree with the specific teachings I've quoted, so could you perhaps tell my why these teachings from your holy book are wrong?

I mean, Deuteronomy 13 is a brilliant reason to go out and start the Crusades.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2012, 08:09:23 PM »
The correct interpretation of Jesus is to interpret it as something that is only doing what is good.  The correct interpretation of the OT is literal.  I want you to tell me how the hell this is perfect, in its entirety.  Please keep in mind I have apparently studied the entire bible much more than you have, and can flat out tell you, it is very imperfect.  In fact, read all of Jesus' sayings (If it doesn't start to drive you crazy) in the Gospel of Thomas.  Tell me how a requirement of a desciple is hatred of mother/father/brother/sister/neighber, tell me how it was perfect for Jesus to spread 'war, bloodshed, and fire', tell me how it was perfect to 'I didn't come here to save people', tell me...

Aw, fuck it - you're just being ignorant of the facts, and going on with claims that you don't back up. 
-@Seppoku
Read the above post for a perfectly clear signal that the bible is in fact, very imperfect..  Just one example, albeit a clear one.  It is clear Seppoku has studied scripture and OT more than you have, Jst or JWB...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:14:26 PM by jeremy0 »
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline freakygin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »
The book itself is perfect.

Now i'm confused, what's the definition of "Perfect" anyway?
If you argue correctly, you're never wrong..

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2012, 08:15:53 PM »
It's a metaphorical translation of favoratism by god that we will never be able to answer on our own - perfect is an unattainable image that we cannot perceive with any human understanding...  *smoking* - according to Jst/JWB..
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline freakygin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2012, 08:20:55 PM »
Then, in other words...

Perfect = Doesn't make any sense?

Ok, i get it now. The book is Perfect indeed.
If you argue correctly, you're never wrong..

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2012, 08:22:49 PM »
Then, in other words...

Perfect = Doesn't make any sense?

Ok, i get it now. The book is Perfect indeed.
Now you get my point.  Thanks,   8)  I take my leave from this thread..  have fun!

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +25/-102
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »
Why would you ever do something so delusional and personally intellectually dishonest?

If you really try to gain the knowledge in the Bible you will conclude this on your own.  To clarify about interpretation, you must allow the Bible to interpret itself to derive at correct meanings.  If something is unclear then look elsewhere in the Bible on similar topics and the meaning will become more clear.  Once you do this you will see a picture painted clearly of a perfect and incorruptible god.  And no imperfect human could do this. 

I cannot rule out that the amount of wisdom that can be learned from the Bible is infinite, in fact, I theorize it is.  The more you learn the more you realize you need to learn.  And then the answers are all there.  Then that pattern repeats over and over again.  No human writer could do this.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +25/-102
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2012, 08:28:04 PM »
Ugh I can't even keep up.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +25/-102
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2012, 08:30:13 PM »
When can I expect you to answer for the fallacies you've used over and over and over and over?

I am going to start a thread on the new board.  Here I will do as suggested and start with Gen 1:1.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2012, 08:31:18 PM »
Oh, Genesis should be perfectly entertaining for all these scientific minds.. I'm waiting to read this.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2012, 08:34:40 PM »

If you really try to gain the knowledge in the Bible you will conclude this on your own.

That is condescendingly arrogant of you.

I've read the bible repeatedly, I also know a little hebrew and my wife speaks/reads fluently enough.  I've put a lot of time, mostly wasted, into study all kinds of theological arguments and debates.  Far more than you seem capable of even imagining.  You certainly don't have any grounds to say if I could or would, when I've already concluded what I have concluded based on what I know.

To clarify about interpretation, you must allow the Bible to interpret itself

Begging the question: How's that?

Do you even know what a biblical hermeneutic is?

Why would I take you seriously when you don't even know how academics/scholars interpret the bible?

to derive at correct meanings.  If something is unclear then look elsewhere in the Bible on similar topics and the meaning will become more clear.  Once you do this you will see a picture painted clearly of a perfect and incorruptible god.  And no imperfect human could do this.

But you are apparently perfect enough to construct such a hideously idiotic and pathetically delusional ideology.

I cannot rule ou..

Yah, you're a waste of time.

How do I separate your claims from someone who is mentally ill?

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +25/-102
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2012, 08:38:51 PM »

If you really try to gain the knowledge in the Bible you will conclude this on your own.

That is condescendingly arrogant of you.

I apologize for this.  Allow me to make a correction.  Once I really tried to gain the knowledge in the Bible I concluded that God is love.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »
I apologize for this.  Allow me to make a correction.  Once I really tried to gain the knowledge in the Bible I concluded that God is love.

You're not delivering a coherent argument for anything, you're just mindlessly repeating your own dogma.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2012, 08:45:30 PM »
A mentally ill person would swing from side to side, or display irrationality in a vulgar manner..  This person is just dilluted - 'drunk off of the bubbling spring which [has been] measured out to [him]', to quote the scripture..

Online Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +126/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2012, 08:48:15 PM »
A mentally ill person would swing from side to side, or display irrationality in a vulgar manner..

What?
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2012, 08:56:09 PM »
^^ for fuck's sake, just look up mental illness traits or something, I just mean bipolar indications are emotional swings that turn on a dime for no reason.  This person doesn't display bipolar behavior.  Jst also doesn't display behavior for depression, suicidal thoughts, thinking people are out to get him, thoughts of hurting others, no traits for major anxiety, no traits for sleep disorders, he doesn't say that he 'hears angels or demons talking to him', he doesn't say that he 'sees things that other people don't see (with his eyeballs)', etc.

In other words, Jst doesn't show the traits for a mental illness, just delusions... As far as I could tell, delusional people escape the definition of mental illness as long as said delusions are accepted as 'norm' in society.  Since religion is completely delusional, we can all agree, and fits the very definition of delusions, it is obviously delusional what this person is saying, however, not indicative of a mental illness.

That's all I was saying..

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »
Yes.  The baby suffers no ill effects at all.  In fact, it is really a benefit to the child.  This child will certainly be resurrected onto a paradise earth.  That is a much better beginning that it would have otherwise had.  If I had died as a new born I would be much better off than I am right now.
No. You can't be serious. You just justified murdering newborn children. It is even better for them than living, you say. In fact, you suggest that if you had been murdered as a newborn, you would have been better off for it.

You know, I used to work in child protective services. A lot of my client's parents were very religious. Note that all of my clients were abused and neglected children.

One of these very religious mothers sat back for years and did nothing, while her mentally retarded girls were being repeatedly raped. For years. By a friend of the mothers. This mother would allow this man to provide the girls with gifts, and take them places, and have sleepovers. At a grown man's house.

This mother was repeatedly warned, by children's services, by counselors, by the Child Advocacy Center, to keep this kids away from him. Obviously abuse was suspected, but the girls denied any abuse was occurring, and without a disclosure of abuse, it is not possible for any other evidence to be gathered. Sadly, this is the law. The system really blows.

Anyways, mom ignored all of this, insisted he was a great guy and a huge help around the house since her husband died. He would take them shopping, help them run errands, pick the girls up for school, take one of them to prom, you know, normal pedophile type stuff.

Mom even had an arrangement through an agency that deals with developmental disabilities to get subsidized care assistance to help provide her with some additional help. She had this man PAID MONEY to care for her girls, while raping them, filming it and putting it on the internet.

Now of course, this is a good TrueChristiantm mother, always going to church and talking to the pastor, and having the girls involved in youth group stuff. Oh, did I mention pedophile went to the same church as them? Oh yeah, they were spiritually very close, and spent a lot a time basking in the sweet reflection of an innocent, nearly naked man dying while nailed to a cross.

Naturally, the game had to end some time, and thankfully it did. But it is the sick, disgusting attitude, that it just repulsive in its deepest nature, that you possess, that you can justify doing terrible harm to children. You are guilty by association for all of the blood on the hands of your God and his followers, all of the blood of innocent children. Because, you know, as long as there is a reward in it for you, you are down with it. Just like this mother was down with what was happening to her children. She just personally craved all of the attention that result, all about her, making a huge drama, while the whole time she failed utterly in the most primal and essential way, and that is to protect and care for her own children. People like you are willing to justify any sort of horror, terror, atrocity, wickedness, as long as you get your celestial golden ticket. And then you have the nerve to say "Once I really tried to gain the knowledge in the Bible I concluded that God is love." Killing infants isn't love. What a sick, twisted, delusional, unstable, irrational, and terrifying belief system to declare sacred. The amount of child abuse, torture, rape and death that the religious are responsible for is staggering. Because, no matter what faith, it's GOD, not the power hungry selfish assholes preaching, no but GOD who wants these children butchered like cattle, and they're better off for it!

You re a perfect example of why I hate religion so much. Because it allows you to say such a thing and expect ANYONE to give you any more respect than throwing feces at you.

In conclusion, just read the first quote in my signature. You need a serious Hitchslap. Too bad he's gone.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2012, 09:10:58 PM »
^^^^ I hereby propose that THIS be the starting point for any further discussions with jst. I honestly don't know how we are to get anywhere with him until we develop a reliable means of determining what Omen has suggested. Nothing else jst says is really even comprehensible without first establishing this.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »
..I had to re-write one of Jst's posts just to make sense of it earlier, I guess we can conclude that the delusions are the basis for a mental illness if we prefer...

I could point you to tests that indicate mental illness, but I don't think that is appropriate here.  At any rate, since we are all passing gas at Jst's statements, let's just leave this as a thread-killer..

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +25/-102
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2012, 09:18:36 PM »
And example of letting the Bible interpret itself:  What is the Beast of Revelation 13?  Compare that beast with the two beasts described in Daniel ??.  You will see that the bible interprets the symbolism to show that those beasts are governments.  The same interpetation applies to the beasts in Revelation 13.  Yes I'm suggesting that the beast with seven heads is governmental.  Babylon the Great is religious, as harlotry is always, or almost always, likened to false religion in the Bible.

So this picture in Revelation becomes adultrous religion riding upon the back of government?  Do we see this happening today?  I think we do.  The result has been a lot of needless bloodshed.  But eventually what does the beast to do the harlot?  Find out for yourself.

As I've said before I have not arrived at all of these interpretations on my own.  These are the teachings of Jehovah's Witness as best as I understand them.  I am certain their cumulitive knowledge is great.

I just encourage you to keep in mind that christendom is not a good measuring stick for the Bible or Christianity, in fact, it is a key feature of Babylon the Great.  If their actions conflict with the Bible then they simply aren't christians.  They are not christians unless they are LIKE CHRIST.  Why do people keep saying "I don't like the Bible because christians......"  You need to make a distiction between those that are christian and those that say they are christians but are not.

But as you pointed out I know nothing of academics.  So I am not the best representative of their beliefs.  In fact, according to their beliefs I should not be trying to teach anyone anything beyond my family because I am one of those that is not a christian.  I am likely to do more harm than good and all I will gain is more reproach heaped upon the name of Jehovah.

If you would like to browse their beliefs for your own curiousity you may do so at http://www.watchtower.org/

I will now bow out and admit defeat.  I do not have enough knowledge nor wisdom to teach the Bible at least not on this level.  If anyone has a sincere question about the Bible or Jehovah's Witnesses I will try my best to supply a good answer from the above web site. 

From here out I will try to keep my discussions related to questions I have about science that members may choose to answer.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2012, 09:22:29 PM »
And example of letting the Bible interpret itself:  What is the Beast of Revelation 13?  Compare that beast with the two beasts described in Daniel ??.  You will see that the bible interprets the symbolism to show that those beasts are governments.  The same interpetation applies to the beasts in Revelation 13.  Yes I'm suggesting that the beast with seven heads is governmental.  Babylon the Great is religious, as harlotry is always, or almost always, likened to false religion in the Bible.
I read news about two years ago about a group somewhere in the western states that thought our government was the beast of the bible, and they started preparing for a war.  They were arrested for conspiracy to commit crimes..
In other words, this group was insane.  Now, you applaud them and state the same.  Yes, you might be getting a mental illness.  Get yourself checked out by a doctor...   :-[

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +25/-102
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »
Jehovah's Witnesses do not prepare for war.  In fact they will die before going to war.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2012, 09:25:47 PM »
And example of letting the Bible interpret itself: ..

Why would any rational human being do that?

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »
Jehovah's Witnesses do not prepare for war.  In fact they will die before going to war.

How do we separate your claims from someone that is mentally ill?

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +25/-102
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2012, 09:27:38 PM »
I guess because the Bible is uniquely able to do that and is in itself evidence of divine origin, at least to me.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2012, 09:29:46 PM »
I guess because the Bible is uniquely able to do that and is in itself evidence of divine origin, at least to me.

The bible doesn't uniquely do anything, you're just rationalizing towards a dishonest presupposition.

You're advocating a position here that isn't much different then being mentally ill Jst.