No
19 (79.2%)
Not sure
0 (0%)
want proof
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: May 05, 2012, 02:04:21 PM

Author Topic: Demon Possession  (Read 16161 times)

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
Re: Demon Possession
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
Isn't it appanent to everyone.  The demons got to him.  They did not want to be exposed like that.  I bet he is barfing up green sh*t this very moment.

Bllllaaaarrrrggghhhh! Your mutha sucketh ***** in hell!! (Head spins)
Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Argyle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Faith is credulity in a papal hat
Cheers!
-Argyle

Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe, but look only and surely at what are the facts

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2012, 05:36:25 PM »
If you look at brain scans of people that are demonically 'possessed', it sure does look like devil-horns.. [1]

Funny how we can't get past the dark ages.. Do we actually live in 2000 AD, or is this still 30 AC?  I can't tell!![2]

[1] This is a joke..
[2]  This is also a joke..  Only seriously, can we get out of the freaking dark ages already?  Aren't we in an age of vast technology and knowledge?
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2012, 06:06:29 PM »
These threads make me miss Raymond.

It's fucking bullshit he's not here.

I miss the colleague I once had, who would lay it out for this McFucktard du jour.

Nathan, what do you contribute to your society?

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
Which kind of demon though.... There are so many to choose from.
I'm sure they are TrueChristiantm demons. It's the only way they could actually be real.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Tinyal

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +25/-1
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2012, 06:20:51 PM »
Ya Pony, I really, really miss Ray as well :(  He & I would occasionally PM in the background - he had quite a way with words which always reminded me of Chris Hitchens (I told him that once, he laughed and laughed...)

Among others, Ray's posts and side chats really helped me to get closer to speaking my mind, to let loose on the idiocy when deserved (which, in my view, it frequently is).

It's my great loss that I never got a chance to meet or talk to Ray in person.
Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water?

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2012, 06:23:37 PM »
I double dare a Demon to come into my house. My cats will scratch it's eyes out.

Come on Demon, come to Papa.

Offline Argyle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2012, 06:53:23 PM »
According to the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia, "In Chaldean mythology the seven evil deities were known as shedu, storm-demons, represented in ox-like form." [14] They were represented as winged bulls, derived from the colossal bulls used as protective jinns of royal palaces.[15]

From Chaldea, the term shedu traveled to the Israelites. The writers of the Tanach applied the word as a dialogism to Canaanite deities.

There are indications that demons in popular Hebrew mythology were believed to come from the nether world.[16] Various diseases and ailments were ascribed to them, particularly those affecting the brain and those of internal nature. Examples include the catalepsy, headache, epilepsy, and nightmares. There also existed a demon of blindness, "Shabriri" (lit. "dazzling glare") who rested on uncovered water at night and blinded those who drank from it.

Demons supposedly entered the body and caused the disease while overwhelming or "seizing" the victim. To cure such diseases, it was necessary to draw out the evil demons by certain incantations and talismanic performances, which the Essenes excelled at. Josephus, who spoke of demons as "spirits of the wicked which enter into men that are alive and kill them", but which could be driven out by a certain root,[17] witnessed such a performance in the presence of the Emperor Vespasian[18] and ascribed its origin to King Solomon. - Wikipedia

It's amazing to me that people who believe in Demons don't go and look up what their origin is.
Demons are simply the earliest form of disease theory. Some (like Josephus) actually believed they were the souls of the dead come to haunt or kill the leaving.

Then we discovered the germ theory of disease.
Suddenly POOF no more demons.

- case closed
Cheers!
-Argyle

Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe, but look only and surely at what are the facts

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2012, 07:48:39 PM »
You know what bugs me with claims like these? How people just don't manage to get a photograph or record these things? Yes, I just did a quick look on YouTube and all I saw was people who might be just having a fit in which case medical help is best needed NOT an exorcism. And videos that weren't very clear and videos that clearly could be hoaxed, Anything that is photoshopped or faked in a some way can usually be debunked if people give it enough scrutiny. For example, the claim in this thread, the black eyes - having that documented would cause people to try and find a rational answer as to why that occurred. As far as I am aware there are no conditions that would cause it. Obviously, I'd remain sceptical, but at least it's evidence for people to explore and to try and better understand. Of course, there's other things that could be caught on film:

Sometimes they are translucent, others are black wisps.
the man spoke in different voices.
The family would report to us that kitchen drawers would be open and even knives being thrown at members of the family.  They all reported seeing dark wispy figures in their rooms and sounds such as foot steps, voices, and thumps. 

Also...

Three hours later he had peace.

In these three hours it seems it did not occur to anybody that it'd be a good idea to pick up a camera? With the 'moving' of objects, it's possible to fake and to do it convincingly well. I'm sorry, but if you've got a guy possessed by a demon for 3 hours, there's evidence you can gather. The rest could be photoshopped or rendered in a CGI program, but normally they can be scrutinised well enough to determine whether they're fake or not. It might not be substantial enough to be proof, but at least you'd have it documented. But this forum is full of sceptics, if an extraordinary claim is going to be made it'll need extraordinary evidence. If there were pics or a video, then we'd either have to call it fake or we'd find it harder to debunk.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »
I double dare a Demon to come into my house. My cats will scratch it's eyes out.

I tried that Hal.  Its been days now.  Nothing.  Damn demons just don't know a good thing when one is put before them.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2012, 01:45:03 AM »

I tried that Hal.  Its been days now.  Nothing.  Damn demons just don't know a good thing when one is put before them.

Look, dudes, I've been busy. I'll get on a plane ASAP.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2012, 05:28:59 AM »
My cat is a demon. Right now she has total control over my wife and I. In addition, she destroys all nice things.

Our mantra now is " we can't have nice things".
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2012, 08:04:02 AM »
Let's see how the story changes when examined.

one night a guy was drunk. 

This particular night the young man was drunk

how drunk?
  when we arrived it was reported he only had a few beers/ 3/4 4 hours before. 

You've gone from the man being D.R.U.N.K. when it suits you - but when its pointed out that someone drunk could easily hallucinate, all of us sudden its just "a few beers some time ago", so that you can claim that alchol was definitely NOT a factor.

If you can't keep your story straight, and you feel the need to embellish to get our attention, why on earth should we believe things happened the way you said?

Another point:

one night a guy ........Three hours later he had peace.

I find THIS the most interesting of all.  Its "one night" - so let's say after 8pm, likely later.  A guy in the house suddenly goes into one, going absolutely manic, to the extent he has to be forcibly restrained.

Do the others in the house call the cops?  The paramedics?  No......they call the local pastor.

Which is NOT the first reaction of your average Schmoe.  Its the first reaction of a group of people who already have a really strong belief in god and demons and other assorted woo, otherwise the first call would be to the emergency services.

And also, guys and gals, these guys were able - late at night - to get in touch with "the exorcist team" who arrived and dealt with everything in just a couple hours!  How lucky the pastor was in!  Indeed, how lucky that they had the right number already available......

You don't put an exorcists number on speed-dial on the off-chance.  You only do that if you already buy-in the to whole load of woo.  So this wasn't a random house, this was a house known for being "spooky", inhabited by a group who already really believed in demons and woo, to the extent that their first action was to call the local woo-doctor whose number they had to hand....perhaps because they were regulars in his church of woo.

Demons?  Don't make me laugh.  Mass hysteria and a suggestable bunch of folk already pre-programmed to accept a particular "explanation".
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +654/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2012, 09:11:33 AM »
How lucky the pastor was in!  Indeed, how lucky that they had the right number already available......

Not just that, but do you know how hard it is to find a pastor who buys into that malarkey?  Most clergypeople I've met would have said "he's drunk, don't bother me" or "take him to the hospital, don't bother me" or "I don't really do exorcisms, don't bother me".  People who believe in exorcism believe it is a special ritual that requires special training.  They think if you try to do an exorcism and do it wrong, the consequences can be terrible.

Lookey here:
http://aaeok.tripod.com/
  Exorcism/Deliverance is a serious field of expertise.  It is truly "Big-League."  Since it brings the exorcist into direct contact with demonic forces, a non-Christian performing exorcisms leaves himself open to demonic attacks and even demonic possession ...

The Christian exorcist also needs to be trained.  The wiles of the Devil are many.  He is very intelligent.  The Christian exorcist needs to know the tactics and tricks that demons often use during exorcism efforts.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-7048649.html
Citing a shortage of priests who can perform the rite, the nation's Roman Catholic bishops are sponsoring a conference on how to conduct exorcisms.

http://www.ulc.org/training-education/obscure/the-occult/10-the-exorcism/
This religious rite is not to be taken lightly or engaged in by inexperienced ministers

http://religiousdemonology.com/QandA.htm
A formal exorcism can only be performed by a Priest under instruction of their Bishop. Laity should never, ever, attempt to perform an exorcism. You will not only fail but you will be putting yourself and everyone in the room in grave danger.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2012, 09:58:51 AM »
Can you sue a preacher for demon malpractice if he screws up an exorcism?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2012, 10:06:02 AM »
Can you sue a preacher for demon malpractice if he screws up an exorcism?
I would love to be the Judge for such a case.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2012, 04:02:18 PM »
Hecky yeah. This guy is possessed for three hours? There are knives flying all over the place? Why isn't there a live feed from the local news? How come the people witnessing this don't document the happenings on their phones, cameras, computers, what have you, from different angles? Why don't these demon-haunted folks call the cops, the paramedics and the local news outlets? Why is this not on the front page of every newspaper and news website in the world?

Any professional-- reporter, scientist, doctor, law enforcement person-- would give their right arm to be the first person in human history to provide real documentation of a supernatural being. Yet these believers say that the "authorities want to cover this up".  Why would anyone want to keep this a secret if it is really happening? I guess to protect Satan. Since Satan can't look out for himself. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2012, 06:51:17 PM »
Hecky yeah. This guy is possessed for three hours? There are knives flying all over the place? Why isn't there a live feed from the local news? How come the people witnessing this don't document the happenings on their phones, cameras, computers, what have you, from different angles? Why don't these demon-haunted folks call the cops, the paramedics and the local news outlets? Why is this not on the front page of every newspaper and news website in the world?

Any professional-- reporter, scientist, doctor, law enforcement person-- would give their right arm to be the first person in human history to provide real documentation of a supernatural being. Yet these believers say that the "authorities want to cover this up".  Why would anyone want to keep this a secret if it is really happening? I guess to protect Satan. Since Satan can't look out for himself. &)

I  agree. It just confuses me that they, religious nuts, would defend their belief when asked for proof. The idea that "the authorities will want to cover it up" is idiotic. As you said, why would they want to cover it up if it's already happening? Also, if that is the best the devil can do, i'm not impressed!  ;D
Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2012, 08:26:24 PM »
It's kind of like UFOs.  Those vids always look so fuzzy.  You would think someone would get a good shot.

Offline Argyle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »
If they got a good shot, they'd identify it, and it wouldn't be a UFO anymore?  :?
Cheers!
-Argyle

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2012, 10:14:18 PM »
Confirmed.  UFOs, demonic possession are correlated in a certain light...

Merely superstitions.  If we have been visited by aliens, it would be miraculous that they found us in such a short amount of time, especially since travelling really fast makes you travel forward in time - it's like they would have had to suspect that life may exist here - before the age of the dinosaurs, and oops - it does, so let's turn back to our own planet, only now we're about 100,000 years into the future at our home planet or something.  That would be a huge wasted effort.  I am siding with a body of thought that blasting our presence out to the universe is probably not a good idea, if we can imagine that an alien life able to reach us in a certain amount of time must be vastly more advanced in technology than we could imagine today..  but, there's a sci-fi movie for that.

The idea of demonic possession was already addressed above..  In essence, all superstitions, based on fear of something or the threat of something..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:16:18 PM by jeremy0 »
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline NATHAN

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-28
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »

May I ask you your personal opinion on the Salem witches?   Were there demons possessing these little girls, thus justifying the execution of so many citizens who were harnessing the demons?   Or were these girls suffering from some sort of group psychosis? 

What is your interpretation of the events? 

I was not there nor were you therefore none of us have first hand knowledge as such I can not commit on the events.

If you are asking did people did without reason, one must honestly conclude that the evil hearts of man have killed people throughtout time whether it be under religious zealots and under greedy none religious people. 

Offline NATHAN

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-28
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2012, 02:05:35 PM »
I am asking opinion and belief of individual (thank you for the correction).  You are asking for proof.  You quesitons are not valid for this forum.  I personally believe in demons, I have seen them, I have experience interactions with them and wonder if any one else has. 

Asking for proof is not valid on a forum devoted to skepticism. Why thank you for coming out of credulousity land and deigning to inform us that we are doing the incorrect thing on our own forum.

The problem is you don't want proof.  You do not have open minds.  All of you instantly go to defense mood and to prove you small worlds are the most important.  very sad. 

Offline NATHAN

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-28
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2012, 02:06:59 PM »
Isn't it appanent to everyone.  The demons got to him.  They did not want to be exposed like that.  I bet he is barfing up green sh*t this very moment.

Bllllaaaarrrrggghhhh! Your mutha sucketh ***** in hell!! (Head spins)

I rebuke the thought and idea and words written or spoken that I am going to hell in Jesus Name.

Offline NATHAN

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-28
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2012, 02:08:13 PM »
Which kind of demon though.... There are so many to choose from.

Their are many demons to choose from.  Thousands to be exact.  Lucifer and the 13 demon kings.  You have no clue what you guys are facing. 

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +131/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2012, 02:17:51 PM »
Every time someone rebukes something in the name of Jesus, it reminds me of God's Warrior.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2012, 02:20:01 PM »
The problem is you don't want proof.  You do not have open minds.  All of you instantly go to defense mood and to prove you small worlds are the most important.  very sad.

wow, nice lie there Natan.  You know, bearing false witness like your supposed god says not to do?   You have not provided any evidence.  If you had any, and not anedotes where there is nothing at all supporting such nonsense, I would be more than happy to consider it.  The world would be much more interested if there were demons, so I would welcome it.  But you have failed.  And have to resort to a lie to excuse yourself. 

Ooh, the 13 demon kings.  So you know this hmmmm?   Sounds like someone's been cribbing from the Deities and Demigods book.   ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline NATHAN

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-28
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2012, 02:21:07 PM »
You know what bugs me with claims like these? How people just don't manage to get a photograph or record these things? Yes, I just did a quick look on YouTube and all I saw was people who might be just having a fit in which case medical help is best needed NOT an exorcism. And videos that weren't very clear and videos that clearly could be hoaxed, Anything that is photoshopped or faked in a some way can usually be debunked if people give it enough scrutiny. For example, the claim in this thread, the black eyes - having that documented would cause people to try and find a rational answer as to why that occurred. As far as I am aware there are no conditions that would cause it. Obviously, I'd remain sceptical, but at least it's evidence for people to explore and to try and better understand. Of course, there's other things that could be caught on film:

There are plenty of exorcisms on Youtube.  Yes some are real and others are not.  No matter the proof you will not believe what you see unless you experience it yourself.  That is the fact and no one can refute your skepticism has blinded your ability to see things in a different light.  It has to be a personal experience which you refuse to have.  Even people on this forum, if you were to experience it, would like the time of Jesus not accept Him.  So ultimately you and I are wasting our time debating something you refuse to accept as truth and I refuse to let go of the truth.  Lord I pray for the hardened hearts and ask you to let them see truth.  Bind the things not of you and release them long enough to make the choice of truth.   

I love that science can continually be wrong with evidence, but it is accepted as truth.