Author Topic: The Argyle Road  (Read 852 times)

Offline Argyle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Faith is credulity in a papal hat
The Argyle Road
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »
Greetings all,
I am an ex-protestant-penticostal-evangelist-fundamentalist-assemblies_of_god-christian.

Both of my parents were missionaries in their younger days, so I've more than been given an introduction to the religious perspective, I lived it for twenty years.
After that I found myself somewhat dissatisfied with the doctrine I had been taught, and took what I thought was the best road. I began to study, and to get out into the world to meet people from other walks of life.

This resulted in a radical shift of perspective from my home schooled upbringing which led rather unceremoniously to my declaring myself an agnostic as I could not get philosophically past a few points even at 22:

1 - The problem of evil.
2 - The problem of unequal opportunity for salvation.
3 - The problem of hypocrisy.
4 - The problem of the GOTOT's immoral acts.
5 - The problem of scientific/historical inconsistency with biblical timelines and 'facts'.
6 - The problem of the lack of evidence.

At the time I still held enough fear of death instilled from my early years that I posited that there must be another plane, some sort of supernatural trick to save us from death.

It was a good eight years before I encountered the work of Hitchens, Dawkins, Russel, Kant, etc. which lead me to a proper understanding of the four way chart (agnostic theist, gnostic theist, agnostic atheist, gnostic atheist) at which point I had to declare myself at the least an agnostic atheist toward all gods, and a gnostic atheist toward those god concepts which were self contradicting, which usually puts me only one god shy of a theist anyway.

More recently I have become involved in the debate on the existence of god(s) but more specifically on the debate about the proper path to knowledge.

Anyway, nice to meet all of you. :)
Cheers!
-Argyle

Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe, but look only and surely at what are the facts

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: The Argyle Road
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
Welcome.  I am certain that you will find smart, stimulating discussions here in the company of others who also ponder the paths to knowledge. 

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »
More recently I have become involved in the debate on the existence of god(s) but more specifically on the debate about the proper path to knowledge.

I can't help you with the proper path, but I have a lot of first hand knowledge about at least one improper path. Ask me anything.

And welcome. Hope you can tolerate our normal level of anger and ire. And our bad puns. We feel real bad about the puns.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 09:47:32 PM »
Welcome good sir.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 09:49:11 PM »
Welcome again.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:50:59 PM »

And our bad puns. We feel real bad about the puns.

Not so bad that they're going anywhere soon.

Welcome argyle. I'm Australian. And a Christian. And the worst perpetrator of bad puns.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Argyle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:52:15 PM »
magicmiles: Creationists want to know why you don't fall off of the bottom of the world, are your streets made of velcro?
And thanks to all who have greeted me so far :]
Cheers!
-Argyle

Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe, but look only and surely at what are the facts

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
magicmiles: Creationists want to know why you don't fall off of the bottom of the world, are your streets made of velcro?

Australian streets are paved with gold, that's all you need to know. We think God might be using Australia as a template for heaven.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »

Australian streets are paved with gold, that's all you need to know. We think God might be using Australia as a template for heaven.

I thought God was busy watching over the new Dallas Cowboys stadium?  It's all so confusing...

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 09:59:23 PM »
for Texans.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 10:04:30 PM »
I'm thinking that a heaven that has seven of the ten most deadly snakes and funnel-web spiders might be more exciting that I originally thought. Where do you go if you're bitten by an Eastern Brown Snake in heaven? Heaven 2.0?

If I get there, can I climb Ayers Rock without pissing off the natives?
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 10:08:45 PM »

If I get there, can I climb Ayers Rock without pissing off the natives?

So long as you refer to it by the native name, Uluru.

Offline Argyle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 10:28:02 PM »
I have always wondered about the road paved with gold thing. One would think on sunny days it would become uncomfortably warm and malleable. I remember when we used to joke that we could cook an egg on the sidewalk, I would imagine that might be physically possible with a solid gold street, depending on the heat conductivity of whatever it was paved over.
Cheers!
-Argyle

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 04:19:01 PM »
Hey, Argyle.

Welcome to the Dark Side.

But once you get to know us, we're not so bad.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 04:20:33 PM »
I remember when we used to joke that we could cook an egg on the sidewalk

Joke?  I've done this.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Argyle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 04:52:45 PM »
Omen, wouldn't that be slightly dangerous, health wise?
Cheers!
-Argyle

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 04:58:31 PM »
Omen, wouldn't that be slightly dangerous, health wise?

I didn't say I ate it.

I have baked cookies in my car before though and consumed them. ( Texas summer )
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 05:05:43 PM »
I ate it...[2]  welcome to my domain of poor english, grammer and punctuation!?  I can argue my way out of some things, but it's only because I have higher ground.  If you ever want to know what I mean when I say something, if it hasn't been clarified by some other member, just ask..

[2]  And drank water commonly out of a hose, ate leaves when I was a kid along with random flower-nectars and plants, etc.  None of that was more poisoning to the body/mind than drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes.  (Drugs limited to a few months of what some would consider not a drug at all - trying to legalize it in many areas)  And look at me - I'm just fine *blauauauhghaghaghgh*  ;D

"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."