Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
Hello
« on: April 25, 2012, 08:15:10 PM »
I just wanted to say hello to everyone and tell you a bit about myself.

I will begin by saying that I am not a christian but I do believe in Jehovah and the Bible.  My religious persuasion is Jehovah's Witness.  So yeah, have fun with that.  But like I said I am not a christian nor am I qualified to speak for Jehovah's Witnesses.

I believe I have decent understanding of the Bible, but I'm far from a scholar.

If I was a christian or a scholar I probably wouldn't be here.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »
Welcome. Thanks for knocking on our door.  :D

I suspect you will get a lot of grief from some of us over your beliefs. I assume you guys are used to being doubted.

As one of the 999,998,336 people who have lived on earth who don't get to go to jw heaven, I would like to say that I, like Groucho Marx, would never join a club that would have someone like me for a member anyway. didn't want you to feel guilty about my not getting in. I wouldn't want to go there anyway. Especially if its all guys.

Hope you guys have evolved an extra layer of thick skin. You'll probably need it around here once some of our group find you.

But enjoy anyway. It's just the net.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 08:35:36 PM »
welcome to the forum.

And heed PP's words well. Of all the construction worker from Montana that I have encountered on atheist websites, PP easily rates top 15 when it comes to intelligence and common sense. Probably top 10.

I'm a Christian, btw. I've been routinely smashed for my beliefs on here, but I still like to hang out and chat.

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:55:26 PM »
Welcome.  I look forward to hearing about how one can believe Jehovah and the Bible and not be a Christian. 

I suspect that you are going to face some intellectual challenges here.  I know that you say that you are not a scholar, but you might find that many of the atheists here will expect you to back up your claims. 

I know very little about Jehovah's Witnesses, and I look forward to learning about you personally, and your religious beliefs.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:57:41 PM »
Have fun. This place is, ah, different!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:23:11 PM »
Welcome. If only 144,000 are going to be saved why try to get others to join...doesn't that cut down on your odds?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Argyle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Faith is credulity in a papal hat
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:29:35 PM »
Or is it a system where depending how many people you convince, you have higher odds of getting rewarded.. like amway.
Cheers!
-Argyle

Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe, but look only and surely at what are the facts

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 11:01:11 PM »
Welcome. If only 144,000 are going to be saved why try to get others to join...doesn't that cut down on your odds?

The rest will live on a paradise earth as was originally intended.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +684/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 11:08:29 PM »
My religious persuasion is Jehovah's Witness.  So yeah, have fun with that. 

How did you become a jw?  my best friend growing up was a jw. 

nor am I qualified to speak for Jehovah's Witnesses.

Why do you say that?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +186/-8
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32:11 PM »
I could never have been a JW.  The idea of going door to door bothering people like that makes my skin crawl.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-109
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 01:03:18 AM »
Why do you say that?

Because only a christian in good standing can be qualified to act as any form of teacher.

How did you become a jw?  my best friend growing up was a jw.

I have never been baptised as a Jehovah's Witness.  Once upon a time I set out to determine the meaning of things.  I was raised Nazarene/Baptist.  I read the Bible and I read literature from many denominations.  I even read lightly over some non-christian religions as well as evolution, although a little more in depth.  My goal was to find the truth through the process of elimination. 

I was very disillusioned with most christian denominations with their many contradictions and hypocrisy.  And I grew tired of hearing "I'll ask God when I get there."  If I were to go the scientific route then evolution must be fact and it is not as far as I can tell.  Nor does it even seem probable to me.

I was really first exposed to Jehovah's Witness when visiting an abandoned house and found a room literally full of Watchtower publications, old and new.  I set out to disprove them like I did the rest.  But I could not, at least not using the Bible.  Their explantion is the only one that made sense of all the garbage and caused the Bible not to contradict itself. 

I do not believe they are 100% correct or know everything.  But some differences with the Bible and Christendom just cannot be reconciled to me and the denominations just seem to skip over these parts.  The way the jw explain the Bible makes everything fit together.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 05:31:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

This site can get rather a bit heated at times. Do not take it personally and do try to stick to the rules (I would advise reading them, because some of them aren't your 'typical' forum rules), if you do that, despite your being a JW, you ought to get along fine. :) We do have a 'Chatter' board, it's a good spot to hang out if you want to cool down, as parts of this forum can be pretty intense and the social side of things should help lighten the mood a bit.

One of my friends (who is now an atheist) used to be a Jehovah's Witness, but I've never really spoken to him about it, however, I think it'd be interesting to learn more about what you guys believe and the way you think (even if you don't feel qualified to speak on behalf of other JWs) because I don't often get to engage with any JWs. Generally I feel scrutinising them when they knock on my door to be a bit rude. Same with Mormons.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 08:55:13 AM »
I just wanted to say hello to everyone and tell you a bit about myself.

I will begin by saying that I am not a christian but I do believe in Jehovah and the Bible.  My religious persuasion is Jehovah's Witness.  So yeah, have fun with that.  But like I said I am not a christian nor am I qualified to speak for Jehovah's Witnesses.

I believe I have decent understanding of the Bible, but I'm far from a scholar.

If I was a christian or a scholar I probably wouldn't be here.

but you'll make pronoucements on how wrong we all are and how right your particular nonsense is.  Ah well, typical.  Welcome to the forum.   Be aware that you make a claim you'll be asked to support it.  I do believe we have some former JW's here.   Your myths are no more ridiculous than say MagicMiles or the rest of the theists here.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 09:18:39 AM »
Welcome to the Forum. Good luck, it's likely going to be a turbulent experience.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 09:49:46 AM »
Hello and welcome.  :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Bix12

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 11:36:41 AM »
Please advise as to location of New Topic button as described in posting instructions
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:38:59 AM by Bix12 »

Offline Argyle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 11:38:24 AM »
You only get New Topic powers after making three worthwhile posts on the board to other threads, then you can create new threads. This confused me at first as well, I should really read the registration pages on forums.
Cheers!
-Argyle

Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe, but look only and surely at what are the facts

Offline Bix12

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »
Thank you. So, my 3 posts would be in the form of a reply, I gather.

Offline Argyle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 12:05:50 PM »
correct
Cheers!
-Argyle