Author Topic: Hello Lovers...  (Read 2048 times)

Offline iamwhoibe

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • Socratic Buddha
Hello Lovers...
« on: April 23, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »
I am a happy, retarded, Roman Catholic who purposefully also uses elements of buddhism to supplement my spiritual life. Now as for the Bible, I consider it as metaphorical. It is the deeper, underlying meaning that gets easily blurred by the ravages of time and sloppy translation. Also, I hate religion. It's antithetical to most of Christ's parables and speeches. Long story short, I can defend my faith on any grounds necessary. I can also defend my proof of God in an articulate and thought out way that's wholly unique to myself.

My question, what's the proof that there is no God?
Ignorance is bliss, unless you like seeing.

"The medium is not the msg." McLuhan's retarded imagniary friend.

Just do it for lulz you bullz of neurons.

122112, we celebrate the cubs winning it all in kansas. Come punch me in the face. So i can show you my other side.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
Re: Hello Lovers...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 06:33:18 PM »
Who cares what you think and what you're asking.

Do you want to debate a member one on one? Because, if not, you are posting in the wrong thread.

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline iamwhoibe

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • Socratic Buddha
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
i don't know the answer to that. basically, i disagree with every single proof and don't even know where to start. So i thought this might be more conducive to intellectual probity and discovery. I don't feel like a debate for the sake of rigid academic staleness.

122112, we celebrate the cubs winning it all in kansas. Come punch me in the face. So i can show you my other side.

Offline iamwhoibe

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • Socratic Buddha
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:40:15 PM »
and if you think i'm too dumb to challenge you. then that's fine too.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 06:43:37 PM »
If you want to challenge another member to a one-on-one debate, I'm available.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline iamwhoibe

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • Socratic Buddha
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:46:17 PM »
let's do it. where do i go?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 06:47:51 PM »
Choose a topic of discussion and I'll get back to you tomorrow.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline iamwhoibe

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • Socratic Buddha
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 06:50:57 PM »
How about proof #1, specifically the definition and understanding of prayer that negates the entire proof.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +51/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 09:37:22 PM »
Now as for the Bible, I consider it as metaphorical.

I think a debate with you would be pretty boring if you consider the bible to be metaphorical because any counter point raised against you you could simply turn it into something metaphorical.

It is the deeper, underlying meaning that gets easily blurred by the ravages of time and sloppy translation.

In your mind you think so, but that's only in your mind and no matter what direction the debate can take you'd be on the winning edge because you have the advantage of making shit up as you go along.

A well meaning debate would be the creation of the heavens and the earth, as written in Genesis, or Noah's flood, or the birth, death and resurrection of Jesus, but if the bible is metaphorical, as you claim, and it has a deep,underlying message, then your form of a debate would probably just turn to you giving it your own spin, and again, making shit up as you go along.

I can also defend my proof of God in an articulate and thought out way that's wholly unique to myself.

This wouldn't be a meaningful debate either. All this is is you giving us a testimony. No too exciting at all, IMO.

Up my ass.

The proof lies in the book[1], but I see the book as inerrant, while you see it as metaphorical, with some sort of 'deeper meaning in the passages'. I'm sure there are other members here who see it inerrant also. I see the proof that YHWY doesn't exist because its book contains so many errors regarding reality like the creation of the universe, lack of proof of Noah's flood, and no historically accurate references to this jesus dude.

I see Lucifer accepted a challenge. Good luck to the two of you, but I see it as iamwhoibe as just pulling shit out of his ass[2]

-M
 1. assuming you're talking about YHWH
 2. a conclusion I came up with on the OP alone. I will admit if I am wrong about this..
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:40:17 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 10:33:36 PM »
*yawn*
Another one...  Can we give lucifer or emily the shot at debating this mindless discussion?  Zzzzzz...... zz....  Or just for shits and giggles, you could have someone as terrible with words as me debate it, just to make it interesting..
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +33/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 03:24:26 AM »
A roman catholic who believes the bible to be metaphorical?

Ok, well, that means you must believe the resurrection to be metaphorical too, right?

If not, then how do you discern what is metaphorical in the bible and what is true?

You're right about one thing though; your proof of god will be wholly unique to yourself, just like the proof provided by every other theist who has turned up here with exactly the same claim about their beliefs.

I doubt any 'debate' you engage in will be worth so much as signature mining but I'll watch, just in case.

Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 07:19:05 AM »
There we go again.  Being asked to prove that God does not exist.  Shall we start with pink unicorns, leprechauns, or that the moon might be made of green cheese?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 07:31:09 AM »
iamwhoibe,

Hi.  Please note, the green text means I am acting in my role as moderator.

1. read the rules
2. learn to quote
3. don't post threads in the wrong areas, like you just did with this one.  It's obnoxious.
4. I'm moving this thread.  If you want a one-on-one debate, read the rules for how to do that.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:17 AM »
Read how to request a one-on-one debate and make the first post. I'll be waiting.
We choose our own gods.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 08:57:02 AM »
I am a happy, retarded, Roman Catholic who purposefully also uses elements of buddhism to supplement my spiritual life. Now as for the Bible, I consider it as metaphorical. It is the deeper, underlying meaning that gets easily blurred by the ravages of time and sloppy translation. Also, I hate religion. It's antithetical to most of Christ's parables and speeches. Long story short, I can defend my faith on any grounds necessary. I can also defend my proof of God in an articulate and thought out way that's wholly unique to myself.

welcome.  I'm glad you took the time to tell us your take on religion.   Well, as soon as you can show that your god exists, no others do and that we're wrong (aka you make the extraordinary claim, you have the problem with supporting it), we can talk.  You use the usual magic decoder ring to declare that you and you alone know what your god "really" meant. 

And I can make a prediction now, you aren't as "unique" as you think you are. 

Start a thread and show us all of your evidence for your claims.  I'll be happy to take you on.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 08:58:04 AM »

Fallacy, you're shifting the burden of proof.

There is no self evident 'god' to offer a disproof for, we effectively have no idea what you're talking about, and you have to explain yourself when you reference a god in the first person capital G.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 11:30:18 AM »

Please take offence, iamwhoibe - you're not very smart. Any debate with you would be a giant waste of time if you can't even research basic logic (or even peruse the board for similar topics).

This board has thread upon thread upon thread of theists who ask the very same question. Yet none of you can understand that YOU ARE THE ONE MAKING THE CLAIM! This should be the tag line for the board, but like any hard evidence not based in feeling, you and your ilk would simply ignore it.

Absolute. Waste. Of. Time.

E.
'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Online Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 01:27:13 PM »
Welcome.

Interesting to see the combination of Catholicisim and Buddhism, not that it's surprising to see as Buddhism is a philosophy all sorts of types of people adopt. Even myself, a dirty stinking hell bound atheist who believes we all come from monkeys is actually a Buddhist.

The problem with the challenge: "What proof is there that God does not exist" is pretty much equivalent to "What proof is there that unicorns don't exist" or "pixies don't exist" or "Xenu does not exist". Think of ALL of the things you do not believe are real and come back to me with all of the evidence you have that they do not exist. What about Spongebob Squarepants? Just because nobody's found the right pineapple under the sea doesn't mean Spongebob doesn't live in one.

The reason so many people ask for 'proof' for the existence of God is because people claim that he is undeniably real. He exists. It's about as true as the chair beneath my feet is real. But the different is, I've got plenty of evidence that it exists and I could even take a picture of it and you could assess for yourself whether this chair exists. Nobody can even come close as to doing ANYTHING like that. They try to use logic, they try to use reason, they try to use psuedo-science, they try and tell us that if we pray we will see the truth, if that we have faith we will learn the truth (despite the number of atheists out there who did those things when they were Christian) then they create excuses for why we can never see and fall back on "God's plan" with no idea what it actually means - but it's a fall-back for anything they do not understand, when something good happens the attribute it to prayer & God's holiness but not the people who made it happen (for example those who thank the miracle God and not their doctors for saving their life) and then claim that He is good but won't attribute anything bad happening to God (relative dying from leukemia) and if they do, God is still good but it's all a part of His plan and we're not meant to know.

But ALL of this comes from no evidence, no actual interaction with said God, but their interpretations of their religious text and them trying to reason all the contradictions the bible offer and also reason the contradictions to the bible reality offers and come up with answers that way. Nothing based on anything solid. When you do start using something solid you should be able to see the fantasies in the bible as you would see the fantasy in Spongebob Squarepants. I do not need evidence to not believe Spongebob is real. It's fiction, the animation is not telling the story of a real life sponge and his antics with a talking starfish.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 01:36:52 PM »
When you do start using something solid you should be able to see the fantasies in the bible as you would see the fantasy in Spongebob Squarepants. I do not need evidence to not believe Spongebob is real. It's fiction, the animation is not telling the story of a real life sponge and his antics with a talking starfish.

I would like to see you win a debate against me if I challenge you to disprove the existence of Spongebob and Patrick Starr. Maybe you will get the benefit of doubt with Squarepants, but there is no way that you can disprove Patrick.

Online Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 01:48:09 PM »
f**k it, I'll accept that as a challenge. To the debate room?
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:41 PM »
I am a happy, retarded, Roman Catholic...

Was that supposed to say retired?

And Emily said it before I could... you can't debate the existence of God with us until you define which parts of the bible are metaphorical and which are literal, and your evidence that making the distinction was correct.

Edit---  8) :laugh: Yay! My 600th post!  ;D :-*
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:35:35 PM by joebbowers »
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 11:02:57 PM »
f**k it, I'll accept that as a challenge. To the debate room?

I admire your courage Seppuku, we can do that. IMHO the Debate room would be an overkill, Chatter should be more appropriate. But then its your seppuku. Long story short, I can defend Spongebob on any grounds necessary.[1]

We are talking about The Spongebob, the guy with the squarest butt. You have no chance.

Congratulations for your 600th post Joe. Iguess 666th will be the next major milestone.
 1. Based on original quote by iamwhoibe

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 05:14:33 AM »
Can we debate him, even though he hasn't said anything, yet?
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 05:15:02 AM »
Can we debate him, even though he hasn't said anything, yet?

He's mine. Get your own! >:(
We choose our own gods.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 06:33:27 AM »
I don't think he's even here.

Look, I'll do Mr iamwannabe:

God exists, because the universe exists, and the multituned physical constants of the universe speak to me through LSD experiences.

How about this: http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/welcome.php

That strawman proves it.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +411/-5
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 07:22:15 AM »

Before I can answer that, you need to define "god".  Since you (apparently) believe that the Bible is entirely metaphorical, you'll need to be completely clear about what your god actually is.  There's no point in anyone taking hours constructing a carefully reasoned proof based on OUR understanding of the word, because chances are it will mean nothing to you.

So you kick off - define "god", as you understand it, and we can work from there.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline iamwhoibe

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • Socratic Buddha
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 01:59:14 PM »
maybe i'm not as dumb as einstein. just hate wastin time. Anything you wanna ask the omniscient, omnipresent, root cause of existence? You'd probably just laff off the answer though. Which is why you know jerry but i'm anon.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 02:15:42 PM »
maybe i'm not as dumb as einstein. just hate wastin time. Anything you wanna ask the omniscient, omnipresent, root cause of existence? You'd probably just laff off the answer though. Which is why you know jerry but i'm anon.

Einstein was a Jewish man who had a rather deistic view of a "god".   You have claimed to be a Roman Catholic who does have a very defined version of god, one that should leave evidence.  Do you have any for it?  Do you have any evidence to show that others gods don't exist?  You see, this is the problem for you.  You have asked "My question, what's the proof that there is no God?"  and you forget that you need to answer this too for all of the other gods that you evidently don't beleive in.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »
Dude's a troll. Ignore it.
We choose our own gods.