Author Topic: What Percentage of Everything Do You Think You Know?  (Read 628 times)

Offline qwan_lee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-12
  • WWGHA Member
What Percentage of Everything Do You Think You Know?
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:51:18 PM »
Post deleted by Admin.

In GRD you write something to go with your vid, or you don't post the vid
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 06:18:27 PM by Ambassador Pony »

Offline shnozzola

Re: What Percentage of Everything Do You Think You Know?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »
I believe I know roughly 0.001 % of everything, although I can't be certain of that 0.001% either.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 06:08:43 PM »
Let me guess what the video says:
"Atheists don't know everything, so they can't make any claims about anything!"
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:20:51 PM »
Unlike most theists, we atheists know exactly what it is that we don't know! :D
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +798/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 06:34:05 PM »
What I know out of the total amount of knowledge in the world is very low. My guess would be lower than schnozzola's.

But I know enough not to value fantasies.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »
I know more and more about less and less. I'm an expert.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +240/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 09:19:23 PM »
In order to know what percentage of everything that I don't know, I would need 2 pieces of information.  The sum total of how much I know and the sum total of how much I don't know.  If I don't know how much I don't know, then how can I know what percentage of what I don't know I actually know, you know? 

Having said that, 42. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 10:36:52 PM »
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."  - Albert Einstein
I know nothing for certain - and I would say that since my mind has come across briefs of many topics, taking into consideration the knowledge of the collective planet earth in its entirety, I know about 1/4,000,000,000 of all knowledge..   8)
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 10:37:28 PM »
Every day of my life I learn something that I did not previously know.  I learn a new word in another language or I hear a story about life in a foreign countryside.  I learn new ways to make my little girl laugh, or discover an author whose works I'd never read before.  I develop a new strategy to combat a piece of legislation that concerns me, or find a new metaphor that speaks to me.  I learn about plans to mine asteroids or drill for oil or harness wind power in the desert.  I hear stories of the miners who bring me the metals that I take for granted, or stories of the agricultural workers who pick the bananas and sugar cane that end up as part of my breakfast.  I learn about the planets that are being discovered in far away solar systems, and I try to comprehend the depictions of the known universe, and its countless galaxies.  I learn that coral bleaching is spreading to some of the reefs that I used to dive.  I celebrate surprising elections in far away countries, and mourn wars and violence and natural disasters and the people whose lives are impacted by them.   I look at satelite pictures of diminishing glaciers, and I learn that in spite of the fact that pizza boxes have recycling symbols on the side, they are not really recyclable. 

I have no idea how much I don't know.  I imagine each little unknown factoid as a grain of sand on a beach, or a star in a universe full of huge galaxies.  I add in the concepts that I don't understand, the thoughts and feelings of others that elude me, the life experiences of others that have been so different from mine, the hopes and dreams of every human being packed into an express train during rush hour, and I know I am truly ignorant.  I imagine the history that has been lost, and the future that is so full of potential.  I imagine the direction that my daughter's life will take as she grows and collects words and factoids and learns to interpret the feelings and experiences of others and learns to follow her passions and learns to love and how to live a life full of learning. 

And I realize that the process of learning is among the most rewarding experiences that life has to offer.  And I mourn those who KNOW TRUTH and have stopped growing. 

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 10:44:03 PM »
Wow ^^ thanks for that.  Very enjoyable post and read..   ;)
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 11:47:38 PM »
Quesi, that was eloquent. Thanks.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 01:57:06 AM »
A moving account of personal learning, Quesi.

I regard myself as pretty ignorant, but with the potential to learn at least a bit more. So I try to do so, day to day and year to year.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 03:02:44 AM »
I've learnt that Lucifer loves to use footnotes. But I don't know what percentage of all possible footnotes he has used. I would guess 79%[1]
 1. 1: But who really knows?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline victorlarrak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 05:53:41 AM »
I'm very sure of what I know,but I have no idea of how much I still don't know.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 06:07:43 AM »
I'm very sure of what I know,but I have no idea of how much I still don't know.

welcome to the forum Victor.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 06:25:11 AM »
I'm going to say, a VERY small percentage. But as I prefer to deal in knowledge, I'm not going to even try & estimate a number because I don't even know how much of everything there is for me to even begin to get an idea of how much I know of everything.

However, just because we do not know everything we do not try & make claims about the things we do not know. Well, obviously I can't speak for every atheist because believe it or not but we're a diverse bunch. I'm the type of atheist who doesn't say, "there are no gods", I just lack any reason to believe they exist. Some like to suggest that where we have 'gaps' in our knowledge God is there...or sometimes Satan. It was once suggested that sneezing opened way for the devil and other evil spirits and by saying, "God bless you" you're protected by some kind of divine shield. These days we understand exactly what sneezing is and we know such an idea is absurd. It also used to be believed that pestilence was caused by witches and because the bible says not to let witches live you can imagine the kind of paranoia that occurred once upon a time...well, I say once upon-a-time, it still happens.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 07:25:23 AM »

Einstein was wrong.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:18 AM »
Frankly, there's far too much stuff to know already, and every day there's more and more stuff to know.  And like Homer Simpson said, "every time I learn something new it pushes old stuff out!".

It can be scary not knowing stuff.  I think that could be behind a lot of people joining religions - they're scared of how confusing the world is, so they jump for the preacher who says that not only does this god guy know EVERYTHING, but he also loves you and wants to take care of you.  It's a compelling emotional argument, and (as Lucifer guessed) they tend to use it to say stuff like "well, if you don't know everything, you can't say there's no god!"....and then look smug.

Of course, they can't actually make the logical connection that if nobody knows everything, then THEY don't KNOW that their god is real, or really loves them, or cares for them one iota.  Or that he is really only a very, very little god who is concerned only with this one planet, a god subservient to the REALLY big god - and its the REALLY big god who is REALLY in charge of the arterlife.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:18 AM »
I know enough to figure out the gambit you are going for.

I also know enough to know that impossible things are impossible, and that appeals to ignorance do not increase one's knowledge.

I do not know a great deal, but I do know a great deal more than you, Qwan.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 02:08:06 PM »

Einstein was wrong.
Disagree slightly - without creativity, we would depend on current knowledge, therefore never progress as a society, do anything innovative, try new ideas, etc..

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +295/-32
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »
The comment by Einstein is incomplete.  Important to what goal?
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »
The comment by Einstein is incomplete.  Important to what goal?

you asking Albert? Might be a wait..
Go on up you baldhead.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +295/-32
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 05:04:41 PM »
Har, har.  I meant that in all seriousness, Miles:  Einstein's comment is an incomplete thought.  My point being that arguments about whether or not it's true depend on what one uses to fill in the blank I indicated.  "Imagination is more important to promoting my happiness than knowledge" could be true, depending on who is saying it.  "Imagination is more important to fixing my car than knowledge" is most likely false.

Since anyone can plug any goal into the bolded bit above, the debate over whether Einstein's comment is correct can never reasonably conclude.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 05:33:31 PM »
Hmm. I guess any statement or thought could be incomplete, to a certain extent. Wouldn't the completeness have to do with what the person providing the thought or idea had in mind? But yes, I see what you're saying.

Is it possible for any knowledge to be gained without some sort of imagination first taking place?  As in, knowledge is generally prefaced by someone thinking:

" I wonder what that is? "

" I wonder what happens if you... "
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »
I'm guessing at most the most knowledgeable human alive knows about .00000000000000000001% of everything give or take a few hundred thousand decimal points.
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline Illuminatus99

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 04:26:23 PM »
The great thing about knowledge is that for every question answered at least two more questions pop up.