Author Topic: Missouri at it now  (Read 947 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
Missouri at it now
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »
I read in the paper today that Missouri is close to passing a law called "don't say gay" law.  Public schools cannot discuss homosexuality at all.  Even if a gay kid is being bullied the staff/administration will not be able to discuss or say the word gay.  Seems the stupidity is spreading.  Pretty soon Salem, Mass will be looking into witch burnings again.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Missouri at it now
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:08:16 PM »
Ummm...What about the first month of kindergarten when kids talk about their families?  Will kids with gay/lesbian parents be forbidden from describing their households? 

How can a state make a law in which you are not allowed to use words to describe the relationships you have with you family? 

I cannot comprehend....

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 01:08:25 PM »
My advice to all minorities in the USA would be to get out of there ASAP. See how the rest deal with the fact that 90% of the nice and/or smart people left.

EDIT: Come over to my country (Portugal). We'd love to have you over here.[1]
 1. I'm exaggerating, obviously. A lot of people have a negative opinion of people from the USA because of retards like whomever proposed the law described in the OP.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 01:16:10 PM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 01:21:05 PM »
You know, I liked the hippy dippy days when we were taught to value differences. Was there still bullying and such? Of course there was, because people are bloody animals. But one of my favorite "gay at school" stories came from a lesbian friend of mine. She and her partner had two children, both boys. The younger one was about 12 at the time. He was playing with his friends on the playground when they started dis'ing gays. He simply looked them in the eye and said, "I have two mommies." And guess what? Those boys talked about it, and learned from my friend's son, and grew a little that day. Their bigotry was nipped in the bud, and I imagine they've grown up to be better persons for it.

Shame on these stupid, primitive, hateful lawmakers. Shame, shame, shame!!!
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 01:28:45 PM »
I blame Obama and Clinton. They got all these hillbillies, the ones that did not have meth labs to keep them busy, all fired up to resist libruls.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 02:08:32 PM »
Tero, are you serious?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 03:24:22 PM »
Well, the meth labs are in Missouri. That what you mean?

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 06:22:13 PM »
And the Missouri Supreme court or SCOTUS strikes down the law in 3...2...1...
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 07:03:18 PM »
Apprently in America every law that's enacted has something to do with race, religion, gender, or abortion. It's amazing that a country that claims it's all for freedom of the individual against the state you appear to be willing to tolerate levels of suppression of free speech, not to mention invasions of privacy that would be completely unacceptable in any other western democracy.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 07:05:18 PM »
America
<snip>
western democracy.

The USA is a republic. Just saying.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »
America
<snip>
western democracy.

The USA is a republic. Just saying.

So is France but they don't have this grief.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »

It really is... Must be an European thing.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 07:26:18 PM »

It really is... Must be an European thing.

As far as I can tell these days there appears to be a swathe of state governments that have decided that the constitution and bill of "alleged" rights are not worth the paper they were written on and it's ok to pass any dumb law that pops into their pea sized brains no matter how oppressive it is.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 07:53:44 PM »
As far as I can tell these days there appears to be a swathe of state governments that have decided that the constitution and bill of "alleged" rights are not worth the paper they were written on and it's ok to pass any dumb law that pops into their pea sized brains no matter how oppressive it is.

That's why I stand by my advice - move out before your existence is deemed illegal. I'd also like to add women to my list of people who should move out ASAP. Let the idiots die off (might take a few generations), then move back in.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
You folks forgot guns. Concealed weapons is the most patriotic thing to do in America.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 07:47:28 AM »
Well, the meth labs are in Missouri. That what you mean?

No, I mean the main statement in your post, obviously.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 08:38:22 AM »
Well, we have a black president, and he is pretty much a typical democrat. But when we had Clinton, he had almost no chance to push thru any major legislation. This time, Obama did, for two years. The white voters from the right  are now seeing him as an extreme liberal. There is a reaction to Obama, and it is all gays liberals abortion guns freedom type of talk. And repeal Obamacare, which most do not know much about. Other than they will have to buy insurance.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 12:13:51 PM »
And so you assign the blame to...Obama and Clinton.  Well golly, if you'd only elected some more openly-regressive presidents, then the right wouldn't be so up-in-arms!

...seriously?

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »
Read sarcasm into my posts whenever necessary. ;)

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 01:44:52 PM »
No.  Instead I will ask if you are serious, whenever necessary.  Hopefully next time you will answer on the first try rather than playing stupid.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »
I think if we have so much time to attend to concerns such as these, then everything else regarding the economy, the debt, social security, foreign affairs, etc. should be a breeze.  Are these laws meant to be a distraction?  Dunno.  I don't see what actual good it will do to keep people from saying the word 'gay' - they'll just say 'faggot' or 'homo' instead...
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +102/-1
  • You know
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 12:51:13 AM »
Yeah, this kind of thing really gets to me but it strikes me as inevitable.  I think that one of the most positive developments to have taken place in this country is our growing acceptance of homosexuals and to a lesser extent the rest of whatever we're calling the LGBT community these days.  Honestly, my own opinions on this topic have changed pretty dramatically over the last 15 years or so.  But with that being the case, it doesn't strike me as all that surprising that there are people that view these developments as threatening.  I think that they're basically right.  To the extent that society is more tolerant of homosexuals, they can expect to find that we will be less and less tolerant of their intolerance.  And as that shift takes place, more and more people, especially young people, will be less attracted to their particular brand of politics and religion.   Right now, these are the last days for the current Republican party.  This is one of the last few cycles where they will conceivably have a winning coalition unless they undergo some fundamental changes that make them more palatable to younger voters, to women and to people of color.
Nah son...

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 06:57:42 AM »
I moved out of the US about 8 years ago. The reason I left was to see the world, the reason I'll never go back is because the US is becoming a theocracy that celebrates stupidity.

Want proof?
Firefly cancelled after 1 season.
Jersey Shore still going strong after 5.
Fuck you America.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 11:37:11 AM »
time for George's video again.  Tennessee, Missouri, stupid US state, they are all the same

and merch for supporting such a thing. I got mine but it has a slightly more star trek look which Paramount probably fussed about.

http://www.allegiancemusical.com/its-ok-be-takei-merchandise

and wouldn't mind leaving the US too, Joe, and for the reasons you listed.   :)
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 11:46:05 AM »
Loved the video. It's just a shame that people have to go to such lengths in a supposedly 21st century liberal democracy.

Thankfully I do not have to leave America since I was fortunate enough not to have been born there in the 1st place.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 01:10:29 PM »
Frank,

I say, old chap, since you weren't born here, and as far as I can tell have never visited, what makes you think you are qualified to offer such a strong opinion from afar?  A few news articles of some of the most outrageous laws, which will be struck down?  You might want more information than that, old bean.  Otherwise someone might be tempted to call you a bigot.  At the very least, you are being kind of a rude twat.  I hope that helps.

Cheerio and God save the queen. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 07:23:54 PM »
Thankfully I do not have to leave America since I was fortunate enough not to have been born there in the 1st place.

Yea Frank, being born into this or that situation is kindof a roll of the dice, sorta like being born into royalty right? Maybe you can answer this - is that royalty shit carried in the genes? I've always wanted to know. Maybe the Queen can provide you an answer for the forum.

Thanks.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 10:18:55 PM »

Yea Frank, being born into this or that situation is kindof a roll of the dice, sorta like being born into royalty right? Maybe you can answer this - is that royalty shit carried in the genes? I've always wanted to know. Maybe the Queen can provide you an answer for the forum.

Thanks.
I need to feed the God-Queen.  Feed the War Machine!!!!
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 12:40:15 AM »
Firefly cancelled after 1 season.
Jersey Shore still going strong after 5.
Fuck you America.

True that, Joe. What exactly makes these Jersey Shore idiots compelling? We've become a society that celebrates buffoonery. It sickens me that these morons can make more in appearance fees (for hanging out drinking at a club for a few hours) than many folks earn in a year at work.

I do think, however, that JWoww could potentially be reformed if given the proper amount of encouragement and spankings. I believe a similar treatment could be successful with Kim Kardashian, as well  ;).
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.