Author Topic: Catholicism Embraces Their Nuns in the USA  (Read 641 times)

Online stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • WWGHA Member
A true troll does not fear banning. Thanks GB

I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +120/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
Re: Catholicism Embraces Their Nuns in the USA
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »
They're really working overtime to alienate themselves on this one. "Stop contributing good things to humanity, we need you to protest gay marriage". The Catholic Church is digging its grave deeper and deeper.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Online stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 12:02:18 PM »
They're really working overtime to alienate themselves on this one. "Stop contributing good things to humanity, we need you to protest gay marriage". The Catholic Church is digging its grave deeper and deeper.

Just re-read it

In a stinging report on Wednesday, the Vatican said the Leadership Conference of Women Religious had been "silent on the right to life" and had failed to make the "Biblical view of family life and human sexuality" a central plank in its agenda. It accused the group of promoting "certain radical feminist themes incompatible with the Catholic faith."

They represent 57,00 (80%) Nuns in the USA. If the Vatican keeps going that will leave the remaining 14,000 or so Nuns left to campaign for the Right to Life, Bibical Family Values and Human Sexuality.

This women thing ain't going away; and now it strongly appears the females (Nuns) who represent the chruch are on board with the more libral veiws.

If the Catholic Churh doesn't change they will be floundering very soon.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:38:32 PM by stuffin »

Aristotle

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +120/-1
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
They represent 57,00 (80%) Nuns in the USA. If the Vatican keeps going that will leave the remaining 14,000 or so Nuns left to campaign for the Right to Life, Bibical Family Values and Human Sexuality.

This women thing ain't going away; and now it strongly appears the females (Nuns) who represent the chruch on on board with the more libral veiws.

If the Catholic Churh doesn't change they will be floundering very soon.
Indeed. The Church, and the Political right, which is typically synonymous with Religious Right, are doing themselves a great disservice by alienating themselves so much from potential women voters/adherents. It's going to backfire on them in a major way, and sooner rather than later. I don't think that this next election is going to be too good for the GOP. These people have apparently forgotten that women can, and do, vote in America, even the women who (gasp!) aren't white. A Crusade against women and minorities is definitely not a good strategy for gaining the votes of women and minorities, especially since there are plenty of non women, non minorities who support their rights.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:24:49 PM »
The Catholic Church sounds more republican every day. I guess they missed that part about helping the poor and forgotten.  Instead they want hard core protesters in nun habits.  Maybe they should start by protesting th housing units of priests who molest kids.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +120/-1
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »
I think it says a lot that the more Evangelical type Candidates (AKA God's Candidates- Perry, Bachmann, Frothy Santorum) have been the ones forced out of the race so far. It's gotten to the point that this crap is starting to piss more and more people off, and see them for the extremists and danger that they are. Mitt Romney wouldn't be good either, but he's so incompetent, he'll never get a damn thing done (not that he is likely to beat the President anyways).

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +441/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:36:37 PM »
Translation:  "You nuns aren't supposed to have your own opinions.  Just shut up and parrot the Holy See's line already, before you embarrass the (male) church leaders even more."
Worldviews:  Everyone has one, everyone believes them to be an accurate view of the world, and everyone ends up at least partially wrong.  However, some worldviews are stronger and well-supported, while others are so bizarre that they make no sense to anyone else.

Offline Aspie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +34/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:17:33 PM »
had failed to make the "Biblical view of family life and human sexuality" a central plank in its agenda.

I would say the Vatican has done a poor job itself of promoting the stoning of disobedient children and forcing women to marry their rapists.  Much of those good Biblical views seem to be casually glossed over nowadays. I think Jesus had something to say on the issue of a "central plank" - removing it from one's own eye, if I'm not mistaken.

It's sad when you consider where the support for the Republican Party comes from. Pretty much its whole platform is built upon convincing people to vote against their own best interests - getting women to oppose their own autonomy, workers to oppose unions, the middle class to approve of more tax cuts for the rich and the gutting of Medicaid and foodstamps, and the elderly to fear health care reform. And the unfortunate part is that it seems to work very well; despite the fact that the only people who stand to benefit from the GOP's goals are white, straight, upper class, male Christians, it still receives major support from people brainwashed by Fox News. Is it any wonder that it's become the 'Religious Right'?  What political tool could possibly be better for getting people to see their own interests as immoral and un-American?  White Jesus wanted women to submit to their husbands, the rich to control all the wealth, and the brown people to be thrown out of the country - you don't hate Jesus like those evil libruls, do you? You're either with him or against him!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 01:44:19 PM »
I cant understand that either.  Hoe do they get people to vote against their interests as much as they do?  There was a release today that showed Karl Rove has raised 100 million for his super pac so far.  The republicans will be coming with 1 billion plus this year.  They are experts at manipulating the facts.  There is no way Obama should lose this election but I fear it is going to happen.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +120/-1
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 01:58:25 PM »
A local Order of Nuns reaction to some of the policies of the Vatican.
Erie Benedictines: Why we said no to the Vatican demand

Offline Aspie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +34/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 02:13:32 PM »
Essentially, they drill the notion into whoever they can that they themselves dictate reality. Orwellian thought control is a powerful thing indeed. They've successfully brainwashed the masses into believing that scientific conclusions are "just opinions" on par with any rectally-extracted assertion to the point where people see no problem with subverting evidence and facts to accommodate religious sensibilities. And Texas has already begun rewriting history. The message is that if reality doesn't seem to be lining up with their propaganda, it's only because reality needs to be readjusted. Because, you know, those evil libruls are manipulating reality to trick you into destroying America!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:23:25 PM by Aspie »

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +677/-1
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »
Reality, math, science, college professors, common sense, economics and now, Catholic nuns all have a liberal bias. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 07:08:45 PM »
The nuns don't fear the Vatican but wait until FOX News sets their sites on them.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »
Yeah, I've worked with a lot of nuns on human rights issues over the years, and I've met quite a few I have awed respect for. 

Silly silly Vatican.  Fewer women are becoming nuns every year.  In a generation (or two at most) there probably won't be any at all.  Doesn't really make sense to piss off the ones they've got. 

Qwan Lee?  Any thoughts on majority rules in this scenario?  What about consensus? 

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »
^^ but, that's fewer wives that Jesus gets to have...  :o
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 09:13:58 PM »
That means far less ears being pulled if nuns disappear.  I did learn a lot in school with nuns but man you had to be on the ball all the time to keep from being focused on.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +677/-1
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 08:58:48 PM »
Yeah, I've worked with a lot of nuns on human rights issues over the years, and I've met quite a few I have awed respect for. 

Silly silly Vatican.  Fewer women are becoming nuns every year.  In a generation (or two at most) there probably won't be any at all.  Doesn't really make sense to piss off the ones they've got. 

Qwan Lee?  Any thoughts on majority rules in this scenario?  What about consensus?
Why does the Vatican want to piss off the nuns? They are the only good, useful part of the Catholic Church!

The nuns I have known (who hide undocumented refugees from the authorities, care for disabled orphans in poor countries, do development work in dangerous areas, teach in inner-city schools for low pay, etc,) are among the few people who really act as though they believe that a god is watching them and judging what they do.

I give money to a group of Mother Teresa's nuns who operate a feeding center for malnourished kids in a town I used to work in. They don't spend the money on fake "prayer candles", fancy cars, big mansions or diamond mines in dictatorships like the Falwells and Pat Robertsons.

If you are going to keep women from using birth control and having abortions, you sure as hell better be right there taking care of the results. These nuns are walking the walk, not just talking the talk. I don't understand them and I don't agree with them, but I do respect and support the work they do.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 09:26:01 PM »
If you are going to keep women from using birth control and having abortions, you sure as hell better be right there taking care of the results. These nuns are walking the walk, not just talking the talk. I don't understand them and I don't agree with them, but I do respect and support the work they do.
Joking aside, yeah.  They do some decent things in the community. 
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline pingnak

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »
A funny thing about 'minorities'... taken together, they often become a majority.

BTW, women are a clear majority, any way you look at the numbers.  Too bad it seems to be so easy to con them into thinking they're powerless.

Catholicism shriveling...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7227629.stm

More stats, buried in over-sized and colored type.  A silly site to cite, but I love the doomsday overtones!
http://www.tldm.org/News11/DevastatingDeclineReligiousOrders.htm

In a few more years, the number of nuns at or below age 70 will be 20,000 or so.  I wonder how many of the younger nuns will be tied up full time, just taking care of the older ones?

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 10:25:21 PM »
I've always been rather fond of nuns. Not the knuckle-hitting-with-ruler types, but the do-good-works types. Maybe its because I grew up watching The Flying Nun.  ;D  As far as this particular group of nuns ... you tell 'em sisters!!!  ;D

This from a lifelong atheist.  8)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Online stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »
Updated:

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/10/11597887-us-priests-reportedly-behind-vatican-crackdown-on-nuns?lite
“There’s so much riding on the gay marriage battle, and on abortion rights, and on contraception that [bishops] want everybody in the church to be doubling down on those issues and not being distracted by social justice,” Gibson told msnbc.com.

Aristotle

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 01:42:13 PM »
thanks stuffin.  Ah, more evidence for the RCC trying to control people and force their way into politics.

According to those same reports, Cardinal Bernard F. Law -- disgraced former archbishop of Boston -- was "the person in Rome most forcefully supporting Bishop Lori’s proposal."
  Yep, Cardinal Bernie who was the onen who covered up his buggering priests.  What a great "moral" authority.  :P
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »
Seriously.  You can't make this stuff up.  The article starts out with a concern that the nuns need to better adhere to the 

"the teachings and discipline of the Church."

It then goes on to say:

The issues raised by the Vatican include the nuns' lack of outspokenness on issues such as gay marriage, abortion and contraception.

I think those nuns need to sit and and read about what Jesus had to say on gay marriage, abortion and contraception. 

That should clear it all up for everyone. 

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +677/-1
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 04:55:15 PM »
Well, the priests could retaliate by pointing out that Jesus did not condemn child molestation either, so there! But then that would bring them back to what the bible does attribute to Jesus, which is to stop focusing on power and wealth, and to care for the sick, poor and downtrodden among us.  Ooops. :angel:

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »
...to stop focusing on power and wealth, and to care for the sick, poor and downtrodden among us.  Ooops. :angel:

HERETIC

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 07:30:57 PM »
Apparently the Catholic power brokers are also pissed about the Girl Scouts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/10/girl-scouts-catholic-bishops_n_1507133.html?ref=topbar

I don't think these guys like women very much. 

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 07:48:24 PM »
...I don't think these guys like women very much.

There's a surprise. I've never understood how ANY woman could be christian. Created by a bunch of sexist neanderthals.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 08:32:13 AM »
There's a surprise. I've never understood how ANY woman could be christian. Created by a bunch of sexist neanderthals.

I dare say Neanderthals are much more advanced than these old petty men who are watching their power slip away.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/