Author Topic: A place for BSD MAN to argue for his god  (Read 2362 times)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: A place for BSD MAN to argue for his god
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 04:03:44 PM »
Well, we are a bit skeptical of what you will present, BSD MAN, but it's not personal. It is because in years and years of discussing and debating, we have not yet gotten anyone to give us logical, concrete, convincing evidence that supports their belief in gods or other supernatural beings. If we had gotten that, we would not be atheists anymore. We would have to believe in god.[1]

But hope springs eternal. You may be the first.
 1. Belief is not the same as worship, however. We believe in the sun, but don't worship it.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »
You don't have a pre-formed opinion of my conclusions BEFORE my paper is completed, do you?

I have a post formed opinion based on your behavior thus far.  I hope to be wowed and amazed, but incredibly skeptical about it considering the trend.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
Good god just argue already, BSD - the waiting by itself got two pages of posts...
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 03:17:27 PM »
Just a friendly reminder BSD, it has been 20 days.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »
Just a friendly reminder BSD, it has been 20 days.

Elton John wrote the music for The Lion King in a weekend. But maybe Sir Elton's an atheist.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 08:16:25 AM »
Well, in a PM to me, BSD has said that it will take him much much more time to actually write his paper about why he believes in his god.  He has told me that he must know all about every atheist position before he can tell us what he believes.  You can guess what I thought about that.   :) 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 08:18:30 AM »
Well, in a PM to me, BSD has said that it will take him much much more time to actually write his paper about why he believes in his god.  He has told me that he must know all about every atheist position before he can tell us what he believes.  You can guess what I thought about that.   :)

I must know everything I can in order to construe as many strawmen as possible and never adequately make an argument to support my own claims.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 05:37:35 PM »
He must consult his holy book and elders - surely they have more scientific evidence than scientific evidence[1]   :P
 1. This is how a theist sounds to me while arguing on this site..
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 08:19:57 AM »
^^^^ unfortunately, this is pretty much how it seems. 

I will give BSD, and other theists, the benefit of the doubt to a point when they make claims like this.   I am however, quite happy to give them enough rope to hang themselves, giving me yet one more point of evidence against religion and the attendent claims about it.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Quest_4_Absolute_Verity

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 02:13:38 PM »
Is this paper complete yet?  ;D If someone spent this much time I would love to see what he finally came up with! Evidence for any generic god has nothing to do with religion. Someone can believe we were created even with zero evidence and fully understand every religion ever created was man made mythology!

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +383/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 06:11:07 AM »
Y'know, I wish that, just once, a theist of any stripe could provide something--doesn't have to be invincible proof or anything--just something, an argument or evidence sufficient to make me go "Hmmm, that's interesting.  I'm not quite convinced, but hey, you've got something there that I'll try to learn more about.  At least, I can see why you would accept it as valid and I can think of you as a sensible person for doing so."  But...no, it's always the same: promising much and delivering nothing.  If the theists could even do half as good as the people who believe in UFO's, I'd be happy.  At least there'd be a "there" there, something worthy of further contemplation and inquiry, maybe even a fascinating mystery to look into.  Ah well.  No such luck.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 09:15:27 AM »
Is this paper complete yet?  ;D If someone spent this much time I would love to see what he finally came up with!

BSD Man made one post a fortnight after his last appearance here, in a different thread, where he presented no evidence.  He last accessed the forum 6 weeks after that.....since then, zippo.

It really is quite amazing that it takes 8 months (and counting) to produce one single piece of evidence that proves his god....especially when he apparently had so much it would crush us all.

Y'know, I wish that, just once, a theist of any stripe could provide something--doesn't have to be invincible proof or anything--just something, an argument or evidence sufficient to make me go "Hmmm, that's interesting.  I'm not quite convinced, but hey, you've got something there that I'll try to learn more about.  At least, I can see why you would accept it as valid and I can think of you as a sensible person for doing so."  But...no, it's always the same: promising much and delivering nothing. 

I know - it'd be great to actually get SOMETHING other than the tired old nothings that we always get. 

It'd also be nice to see a believer that doesn't flat out LIE so much.  To say "I have so much evidence it will crush you", and then not be able to produce ANYTHING......  I wonder if they ever admit to themselves that they were lying, or even just stretching the truth?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 01:12:36 PM »
I wonder if they ever admit to themselves that they were lying, or even just stretching the truth?

As far as I can tell...no.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »
I agree it would be nice to get a theist to present us with something, anything real that we could discuss and evaluate. Instead we get people giving us arguments that they themselves would never accept if it came from any other religion:

A: "Islam and Hinduism have sacred texts with magic stories, too, so how is yours different?"

T: "Well, first off, my sacred text with magic stories is true....and that's my second and third point as well."

A: "Sigh."

Or we get people arguing about the definition of science (so they can shoehorn their religion in that way).

Or we get challenges to the meaning of everyday words, trying to lose us all in a semantic haze.

Or we get insults and name-calling.

Or we get links to website and videos that do the same things.

But almost never anything real to work with. Some 80% of the planet is religious.  Why can't anyone of those billions of believers bring us a single convincing fact or piece of evidence? It's almost like they don't have any. &)

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 05:39:08 AM »
[snipped]

But almost never anything real to work with. Some 80% of the planet is religious.  Why can't anyone of those billions of believers bring us a single convincing fact or piece of evidence? It's almost like they don't have any. &)

Nah.  They're just lulling us into a false sense of security.  They're going to whip out the proofs any day now.  Just wait until jesus comes back.  Then we'll see.  We'll be in a world of pain!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 03:19:59 PM »
^^^I know. There will be war and hunger and disease and the earth will tremble and terrible storms will lash the planet. Kinda like the way things are now, only more Jesus-y. &)

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »
Why can't anyone of those billions of believers bring us a single convincing fact or piece of evidence? It's almost like they don't have any. &)

Oddly enough, our counterparts on the religious sites say the same thing about atheists.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 03:49:00 AM »
Why can't anyone of those billions of believers bring us a single convincing fact or piece of evidence? It's almost like they don't have any. &)

Oddly enough, our counterparts on the religious sites say the same thing about atheists.

They may well say it - but since our regular experience on religious sites is to be banned the minute we start to OFFER any evidence, I'd say that once again they are just lying to themselves.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »

But they eventually accept the new information, absorb it into their world view and then just soldier on as if everything was the same as in 300AD.

Examples: in the 19th century religious folks denied Darwin's ideas.  No animals could go extinct because god made everything perfect. Humans could not possibly be related to other animals because god made humans special with souls. There were no dinosaurs because the bible did not allow that--they could not fit on the ark, etc. The earth was not old enough for anything to evolve, live for 200 million years, and go extinct and become fossilized. Nobody believed in germs--it was god's will if you lived or died.

Now pretty much everyone recognizes extinction and even global climate change--as signs of the last days! Jesus rode a dinosaur and your doggie and kitty cat will be in heaven with you because they have souls just like people. Time for "micro" evolution speeds up or slows down, depending on what the argument against "macro" evolution is. There are too many or not enough fossils to prove anything. Germs are everywhere, especially in heathen countries, because Satan. And god still finds missing keys for comfortable Americans while letting babies starve in Sudan.

But we are the ones who have no evidence. &)