Author Topic: Question  (Read 1423 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Question
« on: April 17, 2012, 06:19:04 PM »
Hi there

As you know, I enjoy the site. Too much for my own good. I've tried to make a clean break before but I find it too tempting to give my two cents on various topics.

So..how would you feel if I participate more in a trivial, casual way? it would probably mean more bad jokes from me, some input on current events, that sort of thing. I'll steer clear from the God discussions...you know where I stand, you are 100% opposed to my views..I can live with that.

Sound workable?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 07:11:40 PM »
Personally, I'm crushed.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »
If you want to contribute for me, go help out poor rockv.. he's in the er, dying from dysentery...
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:36:49 PM »
It's cool with me, but if you don't make me laugh at least once a day, I will have to question your dedication.  :D
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:51:19 PM »
Hi there

As you know, I enjoy the site. Too much for my own good. I've tried to make a clean break before but I find it too tempting to give my two cents on various topics.
my bold

Say what you will here, but the temptation will remain, and as you've proven so incapable of shunning the temptation to date, what's to say that you will not succumb in future?

So this
So..how would you feel if I participate more in a trivial, casual way? it would probably mean more bad jokes from me, some input on current events, that sort of thing. I'll steer clear from the God discussions...

will become a millstone around your neck, with you fighting the compulsion to interject in the very conversations you have stated you'll steer clear of...

Why set yourself up for the fail?

Truthfully you don't need our approval or even knowledge or understanding of your intent to disengage on any serious level, we wouldn't have noticed the difference anyway(rooaaoor!!!)  ;)

Seriously bloke, your input is yours, do as thou wilt.

....wilt is a good word.
Theists do tend to wilt on the de-vine here  :D

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:18:34 PM »
It's cool with me, but if you don't make me laugh at least once a day, I will have to question your dedication.  :D
Lots of people are giving me laughs on here.  It's getting addicting..  I failed to study C# just so I could read through this site, have fun, and relax.  I feel that is a better way to prepare for an interview in which that language isn't necessarily a requirement..
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 12:41:11 AM »

Seriously bloke, your input is yours, do as thou wilt.

sweet.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 09:34:24 AM »
classic theist tactic.  Making baseless claims, getting called on them and then running away from such claims being unable to admit that you've failed and yruo religion has no basis in fact.   Now you just want attention. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »
classic theist tactic.  Making baseless claims, getting called on them and then running away from such claims being unable to admit that you've failed and yruo religion has no basis in fact.   Now you just want attention.

I've obviously missed an interesting thread somewhere .......... :(
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »
not really.  MM has made the usual theist claims and then when the difficult questions come and the evidence against his religion is presented, he has told us he didnt' have time to answer.  But now he wants to just "play".
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 12:04:26 PM »
The site has a title. Everything that is not related to that title is irrelevant, yet it is recognised that such banter is required. We have a remarkably good number of conversationalists here already, but they earn their keep by contributing to the main mission.

I see magicmiles's request as little more than my asking some shaman if I can come into his church and engage the congregation in conversation about anything but gods. Or joining a stamp-collecting club but never mentioning stamps.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 12:19:05 PM »

I see magicmiles's request as little more than my asking some shaman if I can come into his church and engage the congregation in conversation about anything but gods. Or joining a stamp-collecting club but never mentioning stamps.

Ah yes, but he's also a self proclaimed succumber to the temptation of inserting 2 cent worths.
I don't imagine this thread will prove to be a real indication of his site input.
If he thinks playing the site fool will be entertaining enough for him for long then he is fooling himself.

Of course if he inserts content beyond comedy, then runs away, he will be pulled up on it (as per the rules).

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »
not really.  MM has made the usual theist claims and then when the difficult questions come and the evidence against his religion is presented, he has told us he didnt' have time to answer.  But now he wants to just "play".

and this annoys you....why?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »
We have a remarkably good number of conversationalists here already, but they earn their keep by contributing to the main mission.

What mission?

And I have answered practically every question put to me, sometimes the same question re-worded.

How long can you keep going round in circles without getting dizzy? What's the point in getting the same answers from me over and over?

But Kin Hell is no doubt correct, chances are I won't be able to resist jumping back in to a God discussion at some point and we can do the same old dance again.

Want me to save the first dance for you Greybeard, you sexy bearded beast?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 08:48:25 AM »
and this annoys you....why?
Not so much annoys but bemuses.  You came here all sure you could convert the atheists and that you had the answers to all of our questions and now run away from those claims but wont' admit that your claims are evidently wrong since you have no evidence.  That shows a lack of integrity.  It does fascinate me why you want to hang out with us, essentially "yoked" to those who, per your religion, are damned and indeed evil for not believing in your god nonsense.   You've claimed that you've answered "every question".  I've not see evidence for your claims, MM.  You don't give answers, you give excuses and again no evidence for your nonsense. 

You remind me of the little dog on the old cartoons, "hey Spike, come on let's play Spike! look at me Spike! don't hold me accountable Spike!"  &)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »
just because I haven't convinced you all to believe in God doesn't mean I didn't answer questions - I fail to see a lack of integrity in putting my case to the best of my ability.

if you can't see that, after a certain amount of time, discussions between atheists and Christians on here become a round-a-bout, then you simply aren't very perceptive.

As for why I enjoy it - shit, why do you? It's just fun to chat with people online. Mostly.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »
MM, you come off as smart and funny and personable, and I enjoy reading your posts.

Honestly, I was really blown away by some of the Christian stuff that you posted.  It was surprisingly literal and rigid, and seemed so far from the personality that I have seen in your more casual posts. 

I don't see any rules or regulations on this site that mandate the way in which members participate.  Mods/Admin folks, please correct me if I am wrong. 

So you like it here with us heathen atheist types.  And you don't necessarily want the hard work of having 25 atheists bombarding you with hard questions.  I don't see a problem with it. 

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 03:03:37 PM »
I didn't mind the hard work or challenge, and i expected it up to a certain point. But I felt that no nre ground was being covered or was likely to be.

Thankyou for your kind words.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 11:57:02 AM »
just because I haven't convinced you all to believe in God doesn't mean I didn't answer questions - I fail to see a lack of integrity in putting my case to the best of my ability.
No, it doesn't necessarily mean that. However, you did fail to answer questions.  A completely different problem.  when you are shown that your claims about your bible, history, etc are wrong, and don't admit that you are wrong, this is not failing because of your own ability. It is failing because you are attempting to remain willfully ignorant. 
if you can't see that, after a certain amount of time, discussions between atheists and Christians on here become a round-a-bout, then you simply aren't very perceptive.
lovely attempted insult.
As for why I enjoy it - shit, why do you? It's just fun to chat with people online. Mostly.
  Ah yes, fun to chat with people who you are sure will be eternally tortured and will go to hell.    &)

by all means, stay, MM.  You are a lovely example of a Christian and the more of those I can point to only helps my arguments.