Author Topic: Homosexuality is wrong  (Read 490 times)

Offline Bluey

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Homosexuality is wrong
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »
That got your attention, didn\'t it?

No, of course I don\'t think homosexuality is wrong, but from a darwinian point of view, what do the members here think about homosexuality?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Homosexuality is wrong
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
What's a "darwinist point of view", and how does it relate to sexuality?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:36:28 AM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:39:40 AM »

No, of course I don\'t think homosexuality is wrong, but from a darwinian point of view, what do the members here think about homosexuality?

hmmm, methinks that bluey does find it wrong with such a ludicrous attempt to invoke Darwin.   Bluey, what do *you* think about your own question?  To start try to start a discussion without stating your viewpoint strikes me as a way to not take responsiblity for what you really think.

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Bluey

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:42:05 AM »
hmmm, methinks that bluey does find it wrong with such a ludicrous attempt to invoke Darwin.   Bluey, what do *you* think about your own question?  To start try to start a discussion without stating your viewpoint strikes me as a way to not take responsiblity for what you really think.

I\'m gay, velkyn. I think it\'s great. Does being gay mean I can\\\\\\\'t ask the question?

Offline Bluey

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 10:43:02 AM »
By the way I have no idea why I keep getting a backslash.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »
I'm gay, velkyn.

You and I are gonna have a lot of fun. ;)

Does being gay mean I can't ask the question?

Seriously though, you didn't actually answer her question. How would you answer your own question from a "darwinian point of view"?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 10:47:12 AM »
144 glorious, vitriolic pages of debate from the old forum.
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forum/index.php?topic=7373.0

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Tinyal

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-1
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 11:03:05 AM »

I personally don't think about it much - if at all.  Studies seem to show it's a common trait of all mammals, that some small percentage (perhaps 5-10%? Can't recall exactly where I read that) of individuals are attracted to the same sex.

Whoop De Do, no biggie, whatever floats yer boat - doesn't impact me in the slightest.
Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water?

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »
Something I shamelessly stole from an anonymous poster on another website:

The basic idea is that in many species, one male will dominate the herd. The other males are left out, but they are genetically compelled to breed. This would lead to excess competition between males for the top spot, and potentialy lead to population decline because the maes would be injuring or killing each other rather than breeding. Homosexuality is the vent that allows males to think they are meeting their genetic compulsion.

On cursory glance, it makes sense to me, at least in the earlier stages of mammal development.

Unfortunately, it does nothing to address female homosexuality, so it's probably an incomplete hypothesis, at best.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 11:18:49 AM »
Johnny, aren't you forgetting to put "peace" at the end of every post?

Anyway, sock accounts are against forum rules, and, especially rude if they are created to circumvent disciplinary action

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 11:34:07 AM »
I\'m gay, velkyn. I think it\'s great. Does being gay mean I can\\\\\\\'t ask the question?

Not at all.  Now, your answer to your own question please.  Tell us how you think Darwin or evolutionary theory impacts homosexuality. 

oh and suprise suprise.  a good Christian lying and making a sock.  what a lovely example.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +543/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 11:36:29 AM »
It's probably simplistic to think about evolution as entirely about breeding - it isn't. In a deer herd only the alpha male will breed; so what about all the genes from all the other males?

Well, they try their luck, but not all will succeed - the ones that don't succeed are, thus, no different from a gay but one assumes that they make their contribution to the welfare of the herd as a whole.

What of the lesbian animal? Well, there's not much difference between won't breed and can't breed - of course there is always the case where the alpha male rapes the lesbian and here the rules are much like the Bible - the alpha male gets her as a wife and protects her against other competitors.

Assuming a female does not breed, she too will make a contribution to society.

Often animals, usually males, will be ejected from the herd and have to establish their own harem/find a partner. If they fail then the species as a whole has lost nothing, the next generation will have that much more space and food.

Evolution is not a process that goes out looking for opportunities, mutations arise and, depending on circumstances, some are found to be advantageous. As time progresses and the environment changes the advantageous mutations may become a disadvantage - take the Dodo. It was well evolved to be able to eat the seeds of the Coco de Mer tree - it was also slow, and flightless and delicious. These last three did not matter and were an advantage until something changed.

Evolution is random. Evolution is not a moral agent. Evolution has no purpose or goal.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:39:06 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 11:58:03 AM »
I would like to point out that in this era of overpopulation and diminishing finite resources, spreading your genetic material around is not necessarily the most productive contribution to the survival of the human species, and other species with whom we share planet earth.

That being said, GLBT people can and do have offspring.  Lots of lesbians seek out either known or anonymous sperm donors.  Some of whom are gay men.  Some seek out surrogates.  And some, in spite of a preference for the same gender, do it the old fashioned way.

Offline Tinyal

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-1
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 12:38:23 PM »
Johnny, aren't you forgetting to put "peace" at the end of every post?

Anyway, sock accounts are against forum rules, and, especially rude if they are created to circumvent disciplinary action

Excellent work Pony!! - now I know who not to waste my time on.   Thanks!
Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water?

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »
It's quite possible that homosexuality could be inherited, but there is no evidence yet. The female sibling of the gay person would then have more help around since the brother or sister would not mate. Of course, in primitive times, the gay sister would have gotten pregnant too.

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 05:28:09 PM »

Well i think it's just part of nature. I'm not sure what Charles Darwin thinks of homosexuality, but it exists in many species and heterosexual parents are likely to have gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender children. That's the way it is. when it comes to procreation, not everyone can procreate and not everyone wants children. Some gays and lesbians can have children and have had children as well.
Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 03:05:02 PM »
Are there Darwinian implications in the following question? ...........How come so many straight men are turned on when witnessing lesbian foreplay, absent of any desire to participate?  Second question; Are straight women similarly affected by that kind of voyourism?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »
Second question; Are straight women similarly affected by that kind of voyourism?

Yes.
We choose our own gods.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »
Second question; Are straight women similarly affected by that kind of voyourism?

Yes.

The evidence of the m/m fanfiction mainly written by, and presumably read by women, says yes....one hypothesis is that the [straight] woman can imagine herself being Kirk doing Spock or vice versa. :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 08:10:39 PM »
In my opinion, homosexuality is affectively no different from a man doing his wife, or me doing myself some good watching a video of someone else doing theirselves..  ahem.   8)
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."