Author Topic: This day in history (plus diss against the Christians who think Tebow is a hero)  (Read 544 times)

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
It's amazing the difference one determined person can make, even against the most impossible odds.

On this day in 1945, a lone Private in the Canadian Army, Leo Major, made military history by becoming the only Allied soldier to liberate, by himself, a city from the Nazis. He had been sent, along with his friend, Willie Arsenault, to scout the city of Zwolle, in the Netherlands, to identify artillery targets and enemy numbers. The pair decided to attempt to take the city themselves, so as to avoid substantial civilian casualties and minimize damage to the city.

Arsenault was spotted and shot dead by the Germans. Major killed a few of them, gathered some extra weapons, grenades and ammunition, and went on a rampage. Capturing and killing enemy troops, as well as causing others to flee his terrible wrath, he tore through the city like a hurricane. He burned down the Gestapo headquarters, raided the SS office and got in a gunfight with 8 SS officers. Half of them died, half of them fled.

Major continued his against-all-odds assault, creating so much noise and gunfire, and creating so many dead bodies and explosions, that the Germans thought that the city was being overrun by vastly superior forces. Panicked, with their forces decimated and scattered, the few remaining Nazis fled the city.

By dawn of April 14, Leo Major had freed 50,000 Dutch citizens from the terror of the Third Reich, having single-handedly overthrown a garrison of hundreds in a matter of hours and capturing several dozen enemy soldiers. Thousands of innocent people as well as historical buildings and the city's infrastructure were saved from the artillery barrage and invasion planned for that morning, as well as from further injury by the Nazis, particularly the SS.

He did this with just one eye, and only two months after being blown up, in the process breaking both ankles, 4 ribs and his spine in 3 places, and then leaving the military hospital to avoid being transferred  home. He would later go on in the Korean War to lead 19 Canadians to victory over tens of thousands of Chinese, re-capturing a position from them and withstanding their counter assault for three days, until additional Allied Forces could assist them. Leo Major: slayer of Nazis, savior of Zwolle, god of war, and a genuine hero.

Tim Tebow? Yeah, he just plays football and talks to imaginary friends in front of millions of credulous people.

Edit:Deleted an extra word in the first sentence.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:40:10 PM by kaziglu bey »
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
Awesome.

Ain't a clue who this Tebow bloke is, but you say he's a footballer, it seems reminiscent of how straight some people got their priorities here too.

Jade Goody, somebody who appeared on Big Brother, lived in a house with a group of people for a few weeks whilst people watch them on the TV, made a few racist comments on national television, gets cancer, later dies and she's then considered a hero, a good role model and an inspiration. Sad that she got it and died (it's a horrible disease), but she didn't do anything special. When somebody who is truly amazing dies, it's not such a big deal.[1]
 1. Old news I know, but I generally tend to avoid people who rave on about celebrities and avoid reading about them in the media, because it normally depresses me when I do. ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:52:45 PM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
Further proof that all Canadians are inherently awesome.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
Very awesome. Thanks for the history lesson.  :)

Ain't a clue who this Tebow bloke is, but you say he's a footballer, it seems reminiscent of how straight some people got their priorities here too.

Tebow is a football player QB (American football that is) who is known for kneeling in prayer before every game (and pretty much every play), and used to be known for writting bible verses on his eye-paint when playing college football(now illegal in the NCAA it's known as the Tim Tebow Rule[1])

The dude worked on Sundays, which might explain why the Broncos didn't get very far in the playoffs (eliminated in the first round by the Pats I believe). He was being punished by god.
 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tebow#.22The_Tebow_Rule.22
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:55:05 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
Awesome.

Jade Goody, somebody who appeared on Big Brother, lived in a house with a group of people for a few weeks whilst people watch them on the TV, made a few racist comments on national television, gets cancer, later dies and she's then considered a hero, a good role model and an inspiration. Sad that she got it and died (it's a horrible disease), but she didn't do anything special. When somebody who is truly amazing dies, it's not such a big deal.
Tebow was pretty famous this past season, and was well known for kneeling down in a pose and praying on the field. This became known as Tebowing. People were saying how he was such a hero for doing this, for showing his faith in public. Big fucking deal.

Apparently, Leo Major is still very highly revered in Zwolle, in spite of the fact that he died a few years ago. It's not possible to be that hardcore and have people forget. It's mind blowing how much of a badass he was. Can you imagine being a resident of Zwolle, and seeing the Nazis get their asses handed to them by a dude in an eyepatch? It's not like the German soldiers were wusses either, they were disciplined and well armed, although they probably knew that it was pretty much over by this point anyways.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
Further proof that all Canadians are inherently awesome.
Yeah, though American I can't stand when people talk serious shit on Canada. The most ass kicking dude ever came from there. He's like Audie Murphy x John Basilone x John Finn. And they even have their own bacon.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
Wow, so he's got God on his side.

Weirdly enough I am reminded of the Hagakure, which basically argues that in battle your foe may be praying to the same god as you and if that god stands in your way then you must cut him down.

I guess we should give footballers Samurai swords, I'd certainly watch it if they did. Would love to watch Yahweh get cut down by the opposing team.

People were saying how he was such a hero for doing this, for showing his faith in public. Big fucking deal.

Showing faith in public in a strongly Christian nation, with laws in favour of Christians and basically doing what every street preacher has been doing for yonks. Yeah, how fucking heroic.  &)
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
Yet he couldn't get to the SuperBowl. It must be God's punishment for homosexuals or, perhaps as Emily diligently pointed out, for working on Sundays.That's a no no there, Timmy.
What I think is also worth pointing out about the Leo Major story is that those deeds were done by a man, without divine intervention or John 3:16 painted on his face.
Weirdly enough I am reminded of the Hagakure, which basically argues that in battle your foe may be praying to the same god as you and if that god stands in your way then you must cut him down.
Cut down who? God, or the enemy praying to the same god? Just asking for clarification. The thought of potential deicide is admittedly appealing.
I guess we should give footballers Samurai swords, I'd certainly watch it if they did. Would love to watch Yahweh get cut down by the opposing team.
I have always thought it should be played in a mine field. Would raise the stakes a bit, and make them earn those multi million dollar pay checks. Not even fatal ones, just small charges that will lacerate and cause severe burns. Hell, I've seen professional wrestlers do that shit, and they're typically all fake. Certainly some NFL meat heads could do it too.
Showing faith in public in a strongly Christian nation, with laws in favour of Christians and basically doing what every street preacher has been doing for yonks. Yeah, how fucking heroic.  &)
I know, right?  It's like, living in Denver, and being a Denver Broncos fan. It's not exactly making an underdog stand.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
I think what this whole heroism is all about is they feel he's one of the only young people who can still be obsessed over delusions. Think about it. When you think of extreme fundamentalists, you think of elderly people wagging fingers, not popular athletes or young people. Tebow's heroism is the fact that he's one of the only youthful people dumb enough to imitate those who want us to go back to the stone age. They think Tebow will be the man to do such, and so they gleam with joy to see this poser.

I remembered in my paper, they gave a good article about Tebow preaching in that one church in Texas on Easter. One of his quotes was something along the lines of "It is not wrong to express your faith publicly". Imo however, doing that makes you look like an ignorant jackass. Can't wait for the Christians to realize one day that not everybody that lives in Bible Belt USA is Christian, nor that USA is a theocracy.

I definately commend the history lesson kaziglu! Never even knew about that.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
I have always thought it should be played in a mine field. Would raise the stakes a bit, and make them earn those multi million dollar pay checks. Not even fatal ones, just small charges that will lacerate and cause severe burns. Hell, I've seen professional wrestlers do that shit, and they're typically all fake. Certainly some NFL meat heads could do it too.

Although I agree, I do take a little offense on the pro wrestlers typically all fake. To me there is a huge difference between fake and scripted, and what they are doing is definately not fake, but dangerous. If it were really fake, Owen Hart wouldn't be dead right now and Mick Foley would still have one of his' ears for example.

And pro-wrestlers make far less than football players, so why not? I like your idea.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
Although I agree, I do take a little offense on the pro wrestlers typically all fake. To me there is a huge difference between fake and scripted, and what they are doing is definately not fake, but dangerous. If it were really fake, Owen Hart wouldn't be dead right now and Mick Foley would still have one of his' ears for example.

And pro-wrestlers make far less than football players, so why not? I like your idea.
I know what you mean. I used fake just as a popular expression. I'm well aware of the dangers involved. One of my best friends even wrestles in NY area Leagues. Though the actual competition/combat aspect is not necessarily real, its hard to make thumbtacks in your head not hurt.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4

I know what you mean. I used fake just as a popular expression. I'm well aware of the dangers involved. One of my best friends even wrestles in NY area Leagues. Though the actual competition/combat aspect is not necessarily real, its hard to make thumbtacks in your head not hurt.

Then we are cool!  8)

Not trying to make this a pro wrestling thread at all. But there are a couple parts of the combat that can't be faked. Most submissions aren't really applied, most wrestling moves are about protecting the opponent, but there are aspects like the chop battles where it isn't faked, but not severly dangerous. The most dangerous real thing that happens is the chair shots. All wrestling documentaries that explain how wrestling is really scripted and how they script the matches, every one of them say the chair shots are real. And with what happened with Benoit, who had a history of chair shots to the head and overall head injury, WWE at least pretty much banned most moves that are supposed to affect the head and chair shots to the head are not allowed as well. This is why in nowadays WWE when you see the chair shot, although they sell the back of the head, the guys are usually hitting the wrestler's shoulders instead.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
The dude worked on Sundays, which might explain why the Broncos didn't get very far in the playoffs (eliminated in the first round by the Pats I believe). He was being punished by god.
Isn't it funny how god punishes the best of his followers?  I mean, in a sense god treated the most horrific people the best, and puts the blame on his devout people.  And he supposedly send people he doesn't like to his enemies for a nice eternal torture session.  If you want to know what made me turn against Jesus, judgement was the answer.  If you have knowledge of actual suffering, who in their right minds would use it for no real purpose except to feel like they have gotten revenge against those they hate.  God hates people?  Yup, I'm not following this kind of god...
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!

Tim Tebow is America's Most Conspicuous XtianTM.

FYI, the Pats crushed the Broncos in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Tebow and the Broncos beat the Steelers in the 1st round in what I have to admit was a pretty amazing finish on the very first play of overtime. This only served to fuel the fire of all those who were insisting that he was the "chosen one" and god was helping him win games. I listen to a lot of sports talk radio and I heard a couple of local hosts on the air expressing that they thought god was using Tebow (via Broncos wins) to get the xtian message out to the world. They were being completely serious. I figure if that was really the case god would have the Broncos beat the living shit out of every team they faced and go on to win the Superbowl undefeated. That would surely attract more followers than the team almost always having to come from behind to win, and losing half of their games anyway. Not to mention having the "chosen one" traded to the Jets as soon as possible after signing Peyton Manning in the offseason. God sure does work in mysterious ways, right?

edit: context
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:37:59 PM by DumpsterFire »
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
Could you imagine what Leo Major would be like on the football field?
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.

And people complain about a tie going to a shootout...
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
Quote from: kaziglu bey
Cut down who? God, or the enemy praying to the same god? Just asking for clarification. The thought of potential deicide is admittedly appealing.

I wish I could dig out the exact quote for you but I lent the book to a friend and never got it back. But iirc the actual quote says to cut down the god. Essentially the Samurai had a free ticket to say 'f**k religion' if it stood in their way of duty, other quotes in the book say that you should act even if a Buddha or an oracle (of Shintoism) says not to. Or at least this was how it worked for the clan Yamaoto Tsunetomo belonged to.

Quote from: kaziglu bey
I have always thought it should be played in a mine field. Would raise the stakes a bit, and make them earn those multi million dollar pay checks. Not even fatal ones, just small charges that will lacerate and cause severe burns. Hell, I've seen professional wrestlers do that s**t, and they're typically all fake. Certainly some NFL meat heads could do it too.

I like your style. Would love to watch Wayne Rooney dodge a couple of mines. Hey, footballers who fake an injury because somebody lightly tapped them on the leg will have something more to cry about. Along with this suggestion, I've always thought reality show contestants should engage in battle royal to win (awesome film if you've not seen it) - get stuck on an island with slave collars and a backpack of random supplies and weapons and they have to fight and kill each other. If they refuse, they all die. Only 1 winner can emerge. It would make the gene pool a lot cleaner and might convince me to watch reality TV.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:43:51 AM by Seppuku »