Author Topic: Why won't God do anything?  (Read 3377 times)

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Why won't God do anything?
« on: April 14, 2012, 06:24:05 PM »
Remember the episode of Futurama where there was a computer-cloud 'god' that said 'when you do things right, people won't realize that you've done anything at all..'

I would just like to expand this part of the forum to this:

Why won't God do anything?  In retrospect, God hasn't done anything at all, and people went nuts and are going nuts working in the best interests of their 'deity'.  Why doesn't this god ever help you?  It doesn't matter what god it is..

So I would say, since we as humans have a long standing history of being 'cloud-people', it's going to take some serious time to get out of it.

Here's another question.  Since god won't heal you, but scientific research and chemistry can, wth? 

If God won't do anything for anybody, he/she simply doesn't exist.  Otherwise, something like angels that existed back in 0BC would have stepped in at times to save the people from death and suffering.  But that doesn't happen.

Which brings me to my point - all religion is about is something to give you a purpose.  When you have no purpose in life, you may turn to religion.  People want to believe that there was a higher meaning for them.  Or they can't accept that their life is the way it is.  Or they can't accept things for the way they are.  Here's an idea: if that's the case - then do something to change it besides waiting for Jesus to come back and fix everything you screwed up.  Is there any wonder why every time since the 1900s we have an economic catastrophe, that tons of people come out claiming 'it's the end of time'....
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
Re: Why won't God do anything?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 12:14:21 PM »
God works for me: I found a parking spot right in front of my building this morning - it was a miracle.  Praise Jeebus.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »
Nobody told me what the purpose was, other than to praise god. I still dont get it. The meaning, for Christians.

You can pretend to be good, all by yourself.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:48:48 PM »
Nobody told me what the purpose was, other than to praise god. I still dont get it. The meaning, for Christians.

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."

But for the OP.  God never acts without fortelling it.  God's action now is gathering his flocks.  His next action will the the destruction of the wicked.  Then it will be the resurrection of the dead, the healing of those left alive, and then the 1000 year reign.
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 43:10

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +797/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:55:35 PM »
But for the OP.  God never acts without fortelling it.  God's action now is gathering his flocks.  His next action will the the destruction of the wicked.  Then it will be the resurrection of the dead, the healing of those left alive, and then the 1000 year reign.

As you can imagine, as one of the wicked, I am in denial about this. Luckily, my wicked great-great-great-great grandchildren will have time to be in denial too. As will all of their own great-great-great-great grandchildren. Luckily we come from patient stock.

Obviously as atheists we look at the world quite a bit differently. You and your religious fore bearers have been predicting a variety of return times for the kid, and so far, no good. If it hasn't happened in a couple thousand years, do you suppose any of your own great-great-great-great etc. grandchildren will finally give up waiting?
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:20 PM »
Wicked? Wow.  That sort of goes against my self-image.  I fancy myself a good-deed doer.  But I guess by your standards Jst, I am just as wicked as ParkingPlaces.   

May I ask why a being as perfect as God created wicked people like us?  Just to destroy us? 

That doesn't seem to be a particularly productive use of anyone's time.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:09:42 PM »
I am among the wicked too.  I just don't think being in denial will help the situation.

Yes I agree the wait is long.  I'm aware Witnesses have changed some of their prediction dates and such but they have never claimed to be infallible.  They have however maintained the 1914 doctrine for some time.  Admittedly, if it is correct then there can't be much time left or they were wrong again.  But again, they don't claim to be infallible. 
Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 09:19:37 PM »
Wicked? Wow.  That sort of goes against my self-image.  I fancy myself a good-deed doer.  But I guess by your standards Jst, I am just as wicked as ParkingPlaces.   

May I ask why a being as perfect as God created wicked people like us?  Just to destroy us? 

That doesn't seem to be a particularly productive use of anyone's time.

You assume a lot.  Why do you assume I view you as wicked?  Why do you assume God created wicked people?

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »
Well, you stated that the duty of man is to keep God's commandments and fear him.  I do neither. 

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +797/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 09:26:44 PM »
You assume a lot.  Why do you assume I view you as wicked?  Why do you assume God created wicked people?

You should probably clear up the jw definition of wicked. We tend to get told by other types of believers that we're going to hell if we don't turn into their brand of christian. Which tends to mean that we are wicked.

If jw's have a nicer POV about non jw's, that would be sweet.

and btw, Quesi and I are apparently doing a duet, because I  don't keep commandments or fear him either. Hope that helps you judge me properly.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 09:34:13 PM »
Well, you stated that the duty of man is to keep God's commandments and fear him.  I do neither.

I somehow think final judgement will be more complex than that.  The Bible shows that God judges by what is in the heart.  I certainly don't know what's in your heart and since I'm not a christian myself I'm certainly not into judging others to be wicked or not.

But I believe Satan is the most shining example of wickedness.  He was one who had been in the very presence of God, knew he existed, knew his laws, and still actively rebelled.  The Bible shows many examples of humans following this pattern and they are called wicked.

By that defintion I am more wicked than you.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:37:03 PM by Jstwebbrowsing »

Offline Argyle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Faith is credulity in a papal hat
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:37:26 PM »
My heart is full of blood and tissue :]
Possibly a fair bit of cholesterol also, I do need a check up.
Do I go to hell if my ldCl is higher than my hdCl?
Cheers!
-Argyle

Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe, but look only and surely at what are the facts

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 09:40:39 PM »
Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in a burning hell so no.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:44:05 PM by Jstwebbrowsing »

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »
Well Jst, I like your God better than the God that most believers bring here. 

Almost bed time for me.  I look forward to hearing more about your beliefs in the days to come.   

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 03:10:21 PM »
Jst - you would be better off had I been your God, rather than your God of the bible.  I have the capability to save everyone...

However, it would take a f@cking long-assed time.  I don't believe in judgement.  A perfect God would be better than me, and like me have no need to judge.  He would simply give you what your body or mind lacks.  That simple.  If everything were possible for this god, why would he knock off the free-thinkers and intellectuals just because they didn't agree with the monstrosities of the old world?  I don't agree with a God that uses death and judgement as a cheap trick to save the rest of the idiots. 

In other words, listen to Quesi - she is exactly correct in what she is telling you.  No perfect God would do this...

..and, if you are going to invent your own image of god as I did, I would say, tread carefully - you no longer fit into the category of Christianity - you fit into the category of your own belief system.  I do prefer this, as quesi mentioned..
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:12:03 PM by jeremy0 »
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 08:26:19 PM »
He would simply give you what your body or mind lacks.

He is going to and has already done so to an extent.  The seventh day of creation in Genesis is not technically over until the end of the 1000 reign of Christ.  So we could still be in day six.  No, I don't believe the six days of creation were 24 hour days.

and, if you are going to invent your own image of god as I did

I ascribe to the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses although I have never been one.

Offline Argyle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 08:39:29 PM »
So the first day was 13.7 billion years long, and the second was... wait... that order doesn't make sense.
 ;D
Cheers!
-Argyle

Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe, but look only and surely at what are the facts

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Reader
  • Darwins +32/-110
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
The first day does not mention the creation of the earth itself.  The seven days of creation are the preparations of the earth for life and the creation of life.  The earth was created "In the beginning"...and then the first day.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »
The first day does not mention the creation of the earth itself.  The seven days of creation are the preparations of the earth for life and the creation of life.  The earth was created "In the beginning"...and then the first day.
How many times are you going to grotesquely twist the meaning of the bible into something that 'fits your fancy?'  In the days when they wrote the bible, you would have been tortured brutally for being a heretic..  I'll have you know that. 

You should have listened to the previous post - the creation story doesn't fit into fossil records - it's all out of order.  Therefore, Genesis is moot.  I can point to the rest of the bible as being also a moot-point, however, you probably won't be interested; looking at your constant bible-quoting and lack of explaining anything useful to us you are just spreading your rubbish and not making any sense.  And since you don't make any sense, I'll say - flabbergasted by the vial that is pouring out of your ass..

Offline Argyle

• Freshman
  • Darwins +5/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 12:11:12 PM »

Rather than beating around the bush for a few hours, how about you lay out for me a map of what the days of creation map to in real physical time so that I can have that as a map for discussing the topic with you.
Cheers!
-Argyle

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »
He is going to and has already done so to an extent.  The seventh day of creation in Genesis is not technically over until the end of the 1000 reign of Christ.  So we could still be in day six.  No, I don't believe the six days of creation were 24 hour days.
  nice to see the JWs have their own magic decoder rings. 

Jst, you claim you subscribe to the nonsense that the JWs spew but you've never officially been one. Why is that?  Do you want an escape hatch so you can decide they are wrong too? 

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 01:25:07 PM »
No, I don't believe the six days of creation were 24 hour days.

Why not?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 01:27:42 PM »
No, I don't believe the six days of creation were 24 hour days.

Why not?

I can answer that one. My JW ex-friend quoted a verse about how 1 day with YHWH=1000 years, meaning that the Earth isn't 6000-10000 years old, but rather 12000-16000 years old.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
Do you think we could let the guy who was asked the question answer for himself?  I want to know what Jwb thinks.  Not what Lucifer thinks Jwb thinks. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »
Do you think we could let the guy who was asked the question answer for himself?  I want to know what Jwb thinks.  Not what Lucifer thinks Jwb thinks. 

I thought all JW's were taught the exact same thing. Sorry.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 01:43:49 PM »

All catholics are taught the same thing too, but nary a one has the same personal religion.  We call that SPAG. Whatever anyone is taught, they pick and chose and modify to suit themselves.  I am trying to understand Jwb's SPAG.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »
I just don't think being in denial will help the situation.

Actually, you do believe being in denial will help or else you wouldn't subscribe to a set of beliefs that deny reality and substitute a fantastic mythology instead.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »

All catholics are taught the same thing too, but nary a one has the same personal religion.  We call that SPAG. Whatever anyone is taught, they pick and chose and modify to suit themselves.  I am trying to understand Jwb's SPAG.
Absolutely - we find many different Christians, including myself, who did 'SPAG'.  We see similar things in every group.  Nobody agrees on absolutely everything, therefore many types of Christians invent their own version of G&J, which is similar to the religions' G&J, just not quite the same..

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »
I am a far better person now then when I was a JW. Because when I was a JW I had to lie all the time about what I believed. According to JW's I was more likely to be one of the saved ones when I was a JW, even though I was lying. Now I am an honest, upstanding atheist and facing Jehovah God's wrath.... :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.