Author Topic: I'm back at work  (Read 567 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
I'm back at work
« on: April 13, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
Some of you may recall that I got laid off on February 29th.  I decided to take a couple of weeks to take care of various things around the house, then started looking in earnest.  I had a few decent leads here and there, including one position that looked pretty good but that had a commute that I decided was too long to deal with, so I passed on it.

After a bit more fishing around and stuff, I received an offer a couple of weeks ago, and I started at the new place last Thursday (meaning I was unemployed for five weeks total, including the two weeks I wasn't looking).  I'm now doing desktop support for the National Geodetic Survey.  It's a good environment and quite a bit more money than my last position.  Another neat thing is that the job site is only a little over a mile from my house -- the other day, just for kicks, I walked home from work, which is something I should probably start doing more often to see whether it has any effect on all my clothes shrinking.  *cough cough*  It's not NASA -- and I really miss being able to say that I work there -- but other than that, in most ways, it's a better position.

In a down economy, the DC area is really the place to be.  The federal government never goes out of business.  Just be sure you can pass background checks.  They don't screw around with that kind of thing, even for positions that you might not think would require that kind of rigor (such as janitorial staff in national parks).
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: I'm back at work
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »
Huzzah!
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
congrats.  NGS is about as nerdy as NASA  :)  Now if my system admin of a husband could just get a position.   &)  I've been doign my walkies to work or back from it 4 times a week now (woo-hoo!).  Three miles takes me about an hour.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 02:38:55 PM »
congrats.  NGS is about as nerdy as NASA  :)

I guess we'll find out soon enough.  One thing I did notice was a sign someone had posted on the entrance to his cubicle: "One Nation -- Indivisible", which is a pretty good indication that he's an atheist.

Now if my system admin of a husband could just get a position.   &)

I hope he manages it.  A short period of unemployment can be nice.  Longer, probably not so much.

I've been doign my walkies to work or back from it 4 times a week now (woo-hoo!).  Three miles takes me about an hour.

Nice!
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »
I have a birding friend with "ask not one", so I never ask.

But at work you don't get to tease fundies about the flood anyway.

Good luck.

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 03:02:51 PM »
WGS-84 pops up a lot in my line of work, still causing a lot of pain when upgrading algorithms from great circle to ellipsoidal. I'm sure you would love working there.

And guess what, if some theist comes with the flat earth statement, we got someone to to send him/her to!

Edit: Missed the congratulations. Congratulations!!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:07:32 PM by sun_king »

Offline Tinyal

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +25/-1
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »
Conga-Rats to you!!!
Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water?

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »
Congrats mate! Nice one on having short unemployment, it sucks being unemployed for longer. Hope you have a blast. I saw a job advertisement working in intelligence for MI5, another job worth having for bragging rights, I almost applied for it for that reason. :p I'd also legally change my name to James Bond.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 06:28:39 PM »
Congrats! 

You never know, you may still end up working with the space shuttles, being as they're grounded now.  : )
.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »
Congratulations!  Three weeks of serious job hunting is the shortest stretch I have heard from anyone in YEARS. 

I am very sorry about the budget cuts at NASA.  I am embarrassed by our national priorities. 

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +752/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 10:03:47 PM »
Hooray pianodwarf. Glad to hear your job-crisis was short-lived.

Admit it. You prayed, didn't you.  ;D
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 10:38:24 PM »
Congratulations Piano!
Now you can resume your tithes to the atheist church.. ;D
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline grant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »
Well done PD, never heard of the NGS before now (had you?) but a quick google filled me in... a bit. Interesting you use the metric system - does this make you a pariah in the general population now? You'll be converting miles per hour to kilometres per hour, pounds to kilos, gallons to litres in no time - you won't look back! Its such a more sensible measure.

Congratulations!  Three weeks of serious job hunting is the shortest stretch I have heard from anyone in YEARS. 

Is work hard to find over there? i'm working for myself but get offers for full time wages employment all the time. In the last 6 weeks I've been offered 4 jobs without even looking...
What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 07:18:13 AM »
Well done PD, never heard of the NGS before now (had you?) but a quick google filled me in... a bit.

I had never heard of the NGS per se, no, but I've fooled around a bit with GPS units, and I knew that there was a federal agency that handled that kind of mapping (from finding the survey discs).

Interesting you use the metric system - does this make you a pariah in the general population now?

I haven't been there long enough yet to know whether it will be a problem.  *chuckle*

Its such a more sensible measure.

I know.  I wish like hell the US would convert to metric.  The avoirdupois system sucks.

Is work hard to find over there? i'm working for myself but get offers for full time wages employment all the time. In the last 6 weeks I've been offered 4 jobs without even looking...

It depends on a lot of things.  In my case, finding work isn't too hard for several reasons:

1)  I live in the Metro DC area, where unemployment is usually lower than in most parts of the nation, even in a recession, because the federal government doesn't close or anything like that.

2)  I work in IT, and the unemployment rate in general in IT is quite a bit lower than it is in most other industries, at least in the US.

3)  If you'll pardon my immodesty, I have a very impressive résumé.  I've been working in the field for many years, and I'm also vendor-certified on both Windows and OS X, which is an extremely rare combination.  In the entire Metro DC area, there are only about twenty or so such individuals.  (A lot of people don't even know that Apple has a certification program.)

I'm also in pretty high demand, getting offers quite a bit from cold calls, and on a few occasions, I've even had to deal with the "problem" of having too many employment offers and figuring out how to diplomatically decline the ones I don't want.  Believe me, with the way the economy is and all (plus my disabilities, which can sometimes make it difficult for me to handle the workplace), there's hardly a day that goes by that I don't think about how fortunate I am not to be living in someplace like, say, Detroit or Akron.

Thanks to all for the props!

Offline grant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 07:59:43 AM »
Good to hear on all fronts pianodwarf, hope it all works out well. Nice to see you got a pay rise too, that never hurts!

What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 01:34:38 AM »
Oh congratulations!

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 08:17:39 AM »
Nice one mate! Glad you've come off the ol' dole. . . :P

Glad you've found work again on any case, it was sad you had to stop working at NASA, but from the sounds of it you are in a better place now. What goes around comes around :)

So you are doing desktop support? What does that entail?
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 09:10:53 AM »
So you are doing desktop support? What does that entail?

Installing, configuring, and troubleshooting desktop and laptop computers, including taking care of pretty much any problem (hardware, software, or otherwise) that the computers exhibit.  For the next three months or so, the main project is upgrading computers.  NGS is retiring Windows XP and replacing it with Windows 7 Enterprise, a process that's a little over halfway done.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +752/-6
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »
You sure know how to make a Mac guy shutter. Personally, I can only handle one PC at a time in my vicinity, and it has to be shut off.

But apparently that's just me.  ;D
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 12:53:38 PM »
You sure know how to make a Mac guy shutter. Personally, I can only handle one PC at a time in my vicinity, and it has to be shut off.

But apparently that's just me.  ;D

Well, like I said, I'm certified on both Windows and OS X.  Personally, I prefer Macs; it's what I use at home, and there have been quite a few of them in most of my previous shops (which is the main reason I was hired for them -- skilled and experienced Mac people are pretty hard to find).  NGS has only one Mac right now, although that may change in the future.  Tangentially, by the way, NGS is also retiring Blackberries and replacing them with iPhones.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +752/-6
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 01:19:17 PM »
You're a better man than me, pd. Working with PC's is a dirty job, but I guess somebody has to do it.

Very happy you got the new gig though. I do hope we don't end up with a new ruthuglican governing body who thinks everything in government should be shut down except the Mandatory Carry Your Baby to Term Board and the Department of Intelligent Design.

Presumably both of those government bodies only use clay tablets. Not good for you.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
No worry about that P.P., the ruthuglican's love to fund anything to do with the high tech military, and the military depends on GPS systems like crazy.

'Cause as you know, jebus loved his weapons!
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +752/-6
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 01:44:41 PM »
How they think we can live in both the dark ages and the modern world at the same time I'll never know.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +558/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 01:52:56 PM »
Congrats.  If I ever live in the D.C. area, I'll at least have an idea of where I should apply for work.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 12:44:16 AM »
Congratulations on the new position.

I was praying for you. See...it worked!!
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 05:17:28 AM »
Now if you could pray for me to win the lottery.  ;) It would be awfully nice.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 05:30:07 AM »
How about instead I pray that you use your creative writing talents to write a best-selling political thriller set within the highly charged halls of 10 Dowling Street during the Falklands War? And with the royalties you can buy as many Hugh Grant Romantic Comedies as you (not so secretly) desire?

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 06:25:15 AM »
I am working on my novel at the moment, but it's not about the Falklands War I'm afraid, I don't think I could stomach writing about Thatcher. Though...how about a romantic comedy between a character Hugh Grant could play and Margaret Thatcher during the Falklands War? She's the she-devil and he's a charming handsome young politician and he manages to woo and tame Thatcher with his crazy antics in the houses of Parliament. She just can't say no to his cheeky grin. Thatcher gives up the war, she & Hugh (now lovers) set up a summit for the world nations and declares world peace. Then Hugh Grants dumps her for Julia Roberts and the world ends.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 06:28:11 AM »
actually...I reckon Hugh Grant could play Margaret Thatcher. Although he may need some testosterone injections to really nail it ;D