Author Topic: This is Bluey  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Bluey

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
This is Bluey
« on: April 12, 2012, 08:36:44 AM »
Hello all, my name's Bluey. I'm a christian.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Re: This is Bluey
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 08:39:11 AM »
Hello all, my name's Bluey. I'm a christian.

Hi, Bluey, welcome to WWGHA.  Things can be a little "bumpy" around here for believers because, among other things, they're generally outnumbered by a pretty large margin, so if you feel yourself becoming overwhelmed by too many responses to your posts, please don't hesitate to speak up and say "I need a timeout -- can't keep up".  We'll be understanding.

I hope you find your stay an interesting and informative one.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:41:30 AM »
Hello, my name's Lucifer. I'm an atheist. Welcome to the forum. Like pianodwarf says, things can get a little bumpy, but if you're intellectually honest, you shouldn't have any problems.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »
Welcome Bluey.  There is a cure for that.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:53:37 AM »
welcome to the forum.  I'd suggest reading the forum rules and the guide:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,21732.0.html
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,17230.0.html

also reading some of the more active threads will help.  Unfortunately the search function here isn't great so it's hard to look for topics that have been discussed before. 

You will be expected to support your claims with evidence.  You also might want to familiarize yourself with the various logical fallacies that will be jumped upon if you try to use them.  Here's a good site: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ 

also, many of us were Christians of one type or another.  And quite a few of us are very familiar with the bible, other religions and many of the sciences. 

as PD says, things can "bumpy" here.  the forum also offers one-on-one discussions if you don't want to be hit with an avalanche.

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Bluey

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 08:54:21 AM »

For what?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 08:56:21 AM »
Hello, and welcome to the WWGHA forum.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 08:58:55 AM »
greetings fellow earthling

Bluey ...sounds like an Oz name?

So what variation of christian are you mate?
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »

For what?

I rather believe that Nick means that there is a cure for Christianity. This may in fact be the place that you find that cure.

But perhaps you could tell us a little more about yourself as a Christian, in order to give us some perspective? As in, do you have a particular denomination, do you have a favorite version of the Bible, do the think the Bible is inerrant and true in every way? Such things will be helpful for us to understand where you are coming from.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »
Hello and welcome.  :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline freakygin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:11:49 AM »
Hello, and welcome.

Just don't try to "Save" us and i'm sure we'll get along just fine..
If you argue correctly, you're never wrong..

Offline Bluey

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:20:22 AM »
Good idea freakygin. I won't try and convert anyone to christianity, and no one here try to convert me to atheism.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:23:56 AM »
Good idea freakygin. I won't try and convert anyone to christianity, and no one here try to convert me to atheism.

What? How did you get that from not trying to "save" us?
If I understood freakygin correctly, he's talking about the type of theists who come here, "asking" us to believe[1] because they're just trying to "save" our "souls"[2].
Also, you can't convert to atheism. That's what we call an "oxymoron".
 1. As if that were even possible.
 2. Whatever those are.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Bluey

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 11:29:39 AM »
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/convert?s=t

con·vert
1 ? ?[v. kuhn-vurt; n. kon-vurt] Show IPA

verb (used with object)
to change (something) into a different form or properties; transmute; transform.

to cause to adopt a different religion, political doctrine, opinion, etc.: to convert the heathen.

to turn to another or a particular use or purpose; divert from the original or intended use: They converted the study into a nursery for the baby.

to modify (something) so as to serve a different function: to convert an automobile factory to the manufacture of tanks.

to obtain an equivalent value for in an exchange or calculation, as money or units of measurement: to convert bank notes into gold; to convert yards into meters.

Under definition 2, you can convert to atheism.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 11:30:48 AM »
Under definition 2, you can convert to atheism.

Atheism is neither a religion nor an opinion. At best you could say it's the latter, but I don't think it qualifies.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Bluey

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheism?s=t

a·the·ism
? ?[ey-thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA

noun
the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Under definition 2, atheism is an opinion, because to have either a belief or a disbelief, it involves having an opinion on the subject in question. Therefore, it is possible to convert (change opinion) to atheism.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »
Gotta go with Bluey here - it is an opinion, in the sense that it is a position taken on a topic.

But Lucifer is right that "converting to atheism" is nonsensical.  If someone is of the opinion that the Toronto Maple Leafs are the best hockey team in North America, and they are disabused of that insane notion, then they have not been "converted" in some sense.  They have not joined the "a-maple-leaf-supremacy" religion.  They've simply changed their opinion.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »

a·the·ism
? ?[ey-thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA

noun
the doctrine or belief that there is no God.

disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Under definition 2, atheism is an opinion, because to have either a belief or a disbelief, it involves having an opinion on the subject in question. Therefore, it is possible to convert (change opinion) to atheism.

So, you're actually trying to lecture the atheists on what atheism is? That's not presumptious of you at all.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 11:47:29 AM »
Hi Bluey,

Welcome.

It is bad policy to try to tell other people what they believe.  You are probably wrong (unless you can read minds) and it pisses them off.  You probably don't want us telling you what you believe.

You are using more of a common usage definition.  We tend to speak in more nuanced terms here.  Most atheists you will talk to regard atheism as a rejection of the claim that there are gods.  That's it.  It is a subtle distinction from believing there are no gods.  The first leaves open the possibility, the second makes a claim.  Most atheists will grant that it cannot be proven that a god does not exist, depending how the god is defined.   

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 11:51:17 AM »
Gotta go with Bluey here - it is an opinion, in the sense that it is a position taken on a topic.

That's because of the way you define "opinion", as well as what you think about proving or disproving the existence of deities. I think an opinion is on a subjective topic. I also think deities, by definition, cannot exist. This is why I don't consider atheism to be an opinion. IMO it's the only justifiable side on the existence of deities.
We choose our own gods.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
Bluey, my use of the green boldface font indicates that I am speaking as a moderator, rather than as a particpant in the discussion.

This section of the forum is for introductions.  I think we have now passed the Introductory stage.   ;)  It appears to me that you already have the first topic you wish to discuss: what atheism actually is.  Personally, I think it's a fine starting point.  Please start a thread in the appropriation section of the forum, and we'll start getting into it.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Bluey

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 11:52:58 AM »
Screwtape,

Hi. I'm not telling anyone what they believe. I'm just saying what the words mean as they're defined. I totally understand however if atheists wish to use the words in a way that better expresses where they stand. Perhaps new terms should be devised that achieve that.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »

<snip>
So, gravity is just an opinion too then? You may need to consider that some opinions are held in spite of evidence (this is called faith) and some opinions are held in concordance with the evidence (this is called science). One of these methods has been consistently shown to demonstrate its usefulness in understanding and predicting phenomena, as well as allowing us to use that understanding to create new and better things. The other says that insects have 4 legs. Call that a matter of "opinion" if you like, but one method gets things right, and gets better at getting things right, and the other method has been failing for thousands of years. (Hint: The Bible does not contain a blueprint for the computer you are using to participate in this discussion.)

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 12:21:37 PM »
Welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your stay and find it to be an informative place of discussion and hope you can show us a thing or two. ;) Though, obviously, with the amount of theists who come here, there are arguments we've heard a 1000 times and people may have their automatic responses to them.

It's pretty intense here, but if you're going to make claims, please prepared to be able to back them up, if you can't then what you say may be considered fictitious. Also, be aware that some sources may not be the most trust worthy, so we may even scrutinise your sources. As said, check over our rules and you ought to feel right at home.

However, good to see you're off to a head start and you're already using back up (via the use of the dictionary). I'm glad to see you're not here to convert, hopefully you will run it with an open mind and are willing to admit you're wrong when you are shown to be wrong and we'll offer you the same respect. :)

Oxford Dictionary defines it as 'a lack of belief[1]', just as you have a 'non-belief' in many things, including a great many things you've not even thought about. Atheists may have their beliefs, but their atheism at their core is a non-belief, an absence of belief, absence of an opinion. The atheist may believe that gods do not exist, but that's additional to atheism.

Generally I use the Oxford Dictionary for my definitions over dictionary.com, sometimes I find their definitions aren't as accurate as Oxford's. Dictionary.com fails to mention 'non-belief', which is actually different to 'disbelief'.

1. http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/atheism?q=atheism
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 07:42:34 PM »
Hello, and welcome.

Just don't try to "Save" us and i'm sure we'll get along just fine..

Nick tried to save him.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 10:01:56 PM »
Bluey,
You can try to save me and convert me all you want. If you really have a real relationship with god that is not all made up in your head, I'd be thrilled to hear about it. As a matter of fact, since I am wanting to hear the word of god, you are duty bound by Jesus' command to share it with me. But I guess you know that.. Start a topic and invite me..
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline ann

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Hello I'm Annie
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 10:21:16 AM »
Just wanted to say hello. I'm Annie. I'm not sure what I believe in, but I love to learn about theology and have so many questions.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
Re: Hello I'm Annie
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 07:03:06 PM »
Just wanted to say hello. I'm Annie. I'm not sure what I believe in, but I love to learn about theology and have so many questions.

Hello ann

welcome.

It's no big deal but you might just consider posting your introduction in a separate thread, otherwise it may be lost here under Blueys.

anyway ........... I look forward to hearing some of your many questions :)
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Re: This is Ann
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 12:58:03 AM »
Hi Ann

I agree with Kin Hell...might be good to start your own introduction thread now that you have posted 3 times.

Kin Hell and I are both Australians - this gives us a natural advantage in wisdom. Ask us anything. Just don't ask me about science. Or maths.
Go on up you baldhead.