Author Topic: Tennessee says A-OK to Creationism in Science Classes  (Read 1611 times)

Offline IAmFirst

Tennessee says A-OK to Creationism in Science Classes
« on: April 12, 2012, 02:52:53 AM »
Well, (smacks lips), I believe we can cross off Tennessee as a formidable state to visit.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-tennessee-creationism-classroom-20120411,0,3437550.story

The measure will allow classroom debates over evolution, permitting discussions of creationism alongside evolutionary teachings about the origins of life. Critics say the law, disparagingly called "The Monkey Bill," will plunge Tennessee back to the divisive days of the notorious Scopes "Monkey Trial’’ in Dayton, Tenn., in 1925.

Gov. Bill Haslam refused Tuesday to sign the bill, saying it would create confusion over schools’ science curriculum. But the bill became law anyway. Haslam said he decided not to use his veto power, because the Legislature had the votes to override a veto. The measure passed by a 3-to-1 margin.

Let's make sure these Tennessee kids don't get accepted to med school. Let 'em sweep a church, all they'll be qualified for.

But it's a blue state, so what'd ya expect?
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
Re: Tennessee says A-OK to Creationism in Science Classes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:13:17 AM »
as an observer

this certainly seems as though it needs to be set to some fine hick banjo picking background music

gormless cretins
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:45:54 AM »
All right then:

Come and listen to a story 'bout a-Tennessee
Don't learn the evolution
Say god did it for me
And then write to Santa Claus
the Easter Bunny too
Ya can't get into college
And then they won't let you sue

Schools, that is...
Bible class, scripture prep
No test tubes now, hear?

:D :D :D :D :D
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:34:52 AM »
It's just following tradition in the Scopes state.

Competing with Kentucky. How is the Ark coming along? I heard 2 million for the Interstate exit.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:55:37 PM »
From the article:

The state’s teachers are not allowed to raise alternatives to evolution but, under the new law, would be required to permit discussion of creationism and other beliefs if they are raised in class.

Such discussions would eventually shift to the teacher to raising alternatives to evolution. The bill hasn't been clearly thought through.

I grew up in Tennessee and it is filled with religious nutjobs in the classroom who reject evolution and big bang cosmology, and instead of accepting the facts that go against their religious dogma those nutjobs ignore it. Chances are these 'discussions' will shift to the science teacher leading the discussions, which in turn will be he or she discussing biblical creationism, which in turn leads to the science teacher somehow showing support a scientific theory or scientific myth. Then who are the young minds going to listen too? The science teacher or the science textbooks discussing evolution being taught to them by a teacher who rejects the theory.

Arg, this pisses me off! Way to take a step back Tennessee.  Get out of the fucking dark ages.

Here's an idea:

Student: Teacher, I don't get it. I thought god created the heavens and the earth and all its animals and mankind.
Teacher: Talk to me after class.

It seems reasonable to me. In the science room, discuss science. It's not that hard. Don't make a law take time away from an actually scientific discussion to talk about a myth.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:01:54 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 05:46:13 PM »
If I was a teacher in TN I would resign before I would let ignorant morans dictate my curriculum.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »
The article mentioned climate change but will students be allowed to bring up criticisms to all scientific conclusions?  Will teachers need to explain that a god doesn't hold the planets in their orbits and so on?
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:14:26 PM »
When the only people practicing medicine in TN are foreign doctors from China and India, the people will complain about it. Buddhists and Hindus and Sikhs, oh my! But what do they expect when you are making sure the people growing up in your state are not qualified for science-related careers?

You can't ask educated US people to move to a backward state where their children are not going to get a quality education. We are already educating in the next generation of Asian scientists here because many US kids are not prepared for advanced science curriculums, and somebody needs to be in those university classes. Just wait until this new crop of US ignoramuses tries to compete in the high-tech world.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 06:15:22 PM »
If I was a teacher in TN I would resign before I would let ignorant morans dictate my curriculum.

I hear ya. 

And bad timing with the spelling mistake  ;D
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 06:25:31 PM »

I hear ya. 

It was intentional.

Know your memes, dude. Know your memes, or GTF off the internets.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 06:58:03 PM »
I wonder if they can teach them that molecules have parts?

I was on  board somewhere and the two creationists did not know that molecules have shape. They thought all atoms were flat, like a solar system.

Speaking of this Tennessee item, I wrote the story already in October, only I though it was going to be Kentucky first:
http://teroreport.blogspot.com/2011/10/science-determined-to-be-just-liberal.html
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:08:44 PM by Tero »

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 07:17:04 PM »
Or flat like the planet.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 10:20:09 PM »

I hear ya. 

It was intentional.

Know your memes, dude. Know your memes, or GTF off the internets.

Someone please post the pic of the original sign-holding moran.

Online Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +76/-1
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 10:49:45 PM »
This one?

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 12:22:05 AM »

You can't ask educated US people to move to a backward state where their children are not going to get a quality education. We are already educating in the next generation of Asian scientists here because many US kids are not prepared for advanced science curriculums, and somebody needs to be in those university classes. Just wait until this new crop of US ignoramuses tries to compete in the high-tech world.

They won't allow that to happen. Remember, in a state where evolution doesn't exist, why have an intelligent doctor? :D

From this law, we can infer a lot of things, but I find it interesting that the GOP governor said he won't sign it, but a GROUP of electorates usurped him. That means the majority of reps in the state like to close themselves off to reality.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 05:39:22 AM »
I'm guessing there won't be a lot of foreign exchange students studying for a year in the state of Tenn.  It would be interesting to see their faces the 1st time creationism is brought up in biology class.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 10:15:03 AM »
This one?

Yes. Complete with star-studded mullet.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 10:30:18 AM »
technically, that is a star spangled mullet.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 10:46:37 AM »

I stand corrected. Your way sounds better. Either way, the head rag is squeezing what passes for a brain so tightly that he's become a conservative.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 02:09:12 AM »
I was taught Creationism in college.  And I was never again the same.  Sure, let's teach our kids how we used to live with pet T-Rex's...  Creationism is not a science - it's a lame argument to try and save a lot of Christianity.  But, wth?  I spent plenty of time droning over creationism, and in the end, it made absolutely no sense.  I guess we can teach things that make no sense to children, as long as it has quizzes with funny pictures..

Should we define it as an abstract or picasso-style art class?  Free the spirits!! 
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 03:05:52 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 09:15:50 AM »
I was taught Creationism in college.  And I was never again the same.  Sure, let's teach our kids how we used to live with pet T-Rex's...  Creationism is not a science - it's a lame argument to try and save a lot of Christianity.  But, wth?  I spent plenty of time droning over creationism, and in the end, it made absolutely no sense.  I guess we can teach things that make no sense to children, as long as it has quizzes with funny pictures..

Should we define it as an abstract or picasso-style art class?  Free the spirits!!

I hope you were at least taught about all the creation myths, and not just one.
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +119/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »
I don't want to seem alarmist or anything, but this is pretty much the way the rest of the country is starting to see conservatives where it comes to education.

This isn't really a productive direction for the country to go in, I'm thinking.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +292/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »
I don't want to seem alarmist or anything, but this is pretty much the way the rest of the country planet is starting to see sees conservatives where it comes to education.
<snip>

I fixed that for you. :P
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 05:15:56 PM »

I love this! I'm voting for calling it "DaVinci Creation". Shit, as you can tell from my avatar, Jesus wasn't even white. Still, I've heard arguments for creationism where Jeebus rides a dinosaur. For young boys and girls, this makes him COOL! How many other historic personalities do hear about riding a dino, huh? Huh? Not even MOSES had one! :D

Christianity/creationism has become nothing more than a plush toy that you've convinced yourself is real, can talk, and has a job as a robocop. Just say you believe, then give any qualities to the established characters whenever you want!

You must've gotten drunk as hell just to do the homework on this course, Jeremy. I would've had to too! :)

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 05:23:45 PM »
You must've gotten drunk as hell just to do the homework on this course, Jeremy. I would've had to too!

actually, i was getting *stoned.  That was my great mistake...   :-X
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 05:28:52 PM »

I love this! I'm voting for calling it "DaVinci Creation". Shit, as you can tell from my avatar, Jesus wasn't even white. Still, I've heard arguments for creationism where Jeebus rides a dinosaur. For young boys and girls, this makes him COOL! How many other historic personalities do hear about riding a dino, huh? Huh? Not even MOSES had one! :D

Christianity/creationism has become nothing more than a plush toy that you've convinced yourself is real, can talk, and has a job as a robocop. Just say you believe, then give any qualities to the established characters whenever you want!

You must've gotten drunk as hell just to do the homework on this course, Jeremy. I would've had to too! :)
Hello...what about Fred Flintstone???

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 05:37:06 PM »
Hello...what about Fred Flintstone???
Yes!  If we are going to teach Creationism we may as well make things like Fred Flinstone, The Jetsons, and Futurama core curriculum...   ;D

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »
At least we can see how the stuff in the Jetsons might actually be true.