Author Topic: Conservatives: less belief in science  (Read 487 times)

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Conservatives: less belief in science
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 06:45:38 AM »
That's kind of obvious. From what I've seen, conservatives deny any and all science that disagrees with their biased PoV's. Which is pretty much all of it[1].
 1. Science.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 06:51:50 AM »
That is what happens when you have God on your side and your goal is to dummy down the general population.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:20:43 AM »
The report summarizes that in 1970 only 48% of conservatives and liberals trusted science by the criteria.

Now for conservatives it is 35%.  Some of it is due to the antiintellectualism of educated conservatives that people shouldn't go to college.  Rick Santorum (whose mother went to Yale) and Charles Murray (Harvard)[1] have stated this.

Hasn't anyone clicked the link "American Voices" for a cogent analysis?
 1. One of the authors of The Bell Curve, now on the dole at  the American Enterprise Institute

Online Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »
Conservatives resist all change. It's OK for science to provide technogy and products. When it gives them predictions, they ignore them.

They often resist things like vaccinations as well, if they are pressured to be vaccinated.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 10:23:14 PM »
Conservatives resist all change. It's OK for science to provide technogy and products. When it gives them predictions, they ignore them.

They often resist things like vaccinations as well, if they are pressured to be vaccinated.

Yeah you're right, people who resist changing their opinions and ignore information when it shows them that their ideas are obviously wrong are ridiculous..........
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:01:01 PM »
Yeah you're right, people who resist changing their opinions and ignore information when it shows them that their ideas are obviously wrong are ridiculous..........

Ohh it gets worse:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/07/conservative-politics-low-effort-thinking_n_1410448.html?ref=mostpopular

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline StripeDog

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 03:36:31 PM »
That's pretty unfortunate, speaking of the advancement of science in society. One can only hope their disgruntled petty rambling is as far as they'll ever go. But seeing the current hopefuls for office is a bit discouraging. Romney may just end up being another hung-up president like Obama, or the insane regime that turns America into the theocracy that the ultra-conservatives always dreamed of.
There's no need to be harsh.

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-3
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 07:12:55 PM »
"Conservatives Lose Faith in Science."  What does that even mean?  Does chemistry no longer work like it used to?  Are we going to suddenly float off into space, because gravity no longer works?  Does E no longer = mc^2? 

Do they doubt science as they talk on their smart phones?  What?

Odin, King of the Gods

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 11:47:41 PM »
Quite frankly, conservatives are 'freaking messing with my zen thing, man..'

Their ideas to 'fix' things in this country are an outrage, in my opinion.  The problem is, the other party also doesn't have the correct answers. 

To get to the point, nobody actually has the balls to apply the most affective solutions to our problems.  For proof, look at the things that actually got us out of the great depression, and look at the things done these days - it's all been half-assed this time around.  And we still haven't budged on unemployed per population as a percentage..

Both parties are to blame, the Tea Party turned out to be a right-winged JOKE, and I can't trust any of these money-hungry politicians with anything.  The fact that conservatives reject science is ancient history - I knew that back when the discovery of global warming was being educated as a belief system by the right, and then when the oil companies and business owners made huge, huge profits off of scare tactics...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:49:26 PM by jeremy0 »
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Aspie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +34/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »
Wait a minute... you mean more tax cuts for the rich isn't the solution?

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 12:16:25 AM »
But to further my point, conservatives rely heavily on economic policy that says we applaud the successful, basically.  When I was in college, learning about the BS of economics, I immediately argued with my professor that if we keep going the way we are going, we will have another depression within the next 20 years.  That was back in 2005, but I didn't know my numbers.  We were supposed to have another depression in only 3 years. 

The reason is because economics as you are taught is based on a 'perfection-scenario'.  The real world doesn't work even close to that way, not to mention a free market economy.  The reason a free market economy is 'screwed in the long run' is because of the division between the rich and everybody else.  When the rich end up with a certain percentage of the money, and it's not moving through the economy (stocks), then you aren't creating wealth for other people, the middle class, who supports most of the spending and government financing, collapses; and what you are left with is supposed to be a period of deflation, redistribution of wealth, and a quick rebound. 

What happened this time was, we hit this scenario.  We immediately redistributed the wealth backwards from the middle class to the upper class through bail-outs and rich-person protections.  The 'conservatives' thought it good strategy to give the wealthy more money, to in turn, 'trickle-down to the middle class through job creation'.  That didn't happen.  Instead, people got bloody rich, and the rest had to live off of their own backs. 

The democratic solution was to spend our way out of it, and the heavy 'stimulus' that only provided temporary work that was based on accomplishing basically nothing, and once you remove said stimulus you are right back in the situation you started in..  Then, you have increased the debt astronomically thereby disabling us from further spending to do something like promote business growth in smaller sectors as well as refinancing the financial industry, which needs to make loans in order for things to rebound.  (Financial meltdowns are always negative marks)

Frankly, the only people that did their job right in a large sense was the Fed.  Thanks Ben.

Now we are in a situation where people have shot credit, so they can't get loans.  Small businesses have either gone away or also have shot credit.  They are your major job creators, who in fact, created most jobs in the 90s to early 2000s.  Now they are really hurting, and just now we passed a bill to try and help through 'bipartisanship'.  That bill was also a half-assed effort. 

We are seeing, as we speak, the depletion of the middle class all throughout the western civilization.  And since there is no redistribution of wealth going on, we are not recovering.  You can no longer spend your way out of it, because debt has become larger than the economy year-to-year.  (Not the total of the nation's wealth).

In other words, I said in 2005 that we would be in another depression.  In 2012, I'm saying that when MIT predicts that we will have a global meltdown in 2013, and healthcare is predicted to hit 25% of GDP, universities are causing people to be in immense debt, retirement is busted since we can no longer afford social security and only 25% of baby boomers can retire on their own money due to stock market trading (losers and winners), and nobody has a valid answer in either chamber of congress - I would hate to see what the world will look like in another 5-10 years.  Damn, I hate being right, and I'm absolutely frustrated.

This is why I'm so against religion.  First, I was against bad economic policy.  Now, I'm realizing that it, too, was based on a false sense of a belief system...
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 01:07:20 AM »
Also, I would like to point out that politics, in itself, is basically a form of religion.  Here's why:

We, as people of the population, are required to believe and show faith through voting that another person - who is receiving bribes from business owners - will, by the constitution, '[faithfully represent the best interests of his or her majority constituents]'...  And we also believe in one party vs. others, based on our own 'belief systems..'

In the 22nd century, with tools like the internet and wikis, we no longer actually need people to represent our decision-making as a nation. 

Also, if you look at what got us into this mess - what was the original claim?  Foreclosure.  Housing bust.  What percentage of homes, pray tell me, were foreclosed on due to sub-prime mortgages?  The real other factors were simple - the middle class was losing purchasing power, and jobs (income).  That was the real cause of the foreclosure ramps.  It was due to bad policy enacted 8 years leading up to that, which fed largely wealthy corporations such as oil companies, we passed a massive outsourcing bill meaning large sums of corporate money was not only going overseas but not returning to our economy, and we vamped-up the hiring of H1-Bs as opposed to actual americans.  Add some other bad policy as you please, but case in point, none of the real issues facing our economy or our country have been addressed.  To date.

How we get into depression-style situations is simple - the rich (owners) always end up with a certain percentage of the money.  This leads the ordinary people with less income.  This means their purchasing power is being depleted to a point where they can no longer afford what they used to be able to.  Retail is usually the first hit.  Then comes shipping - transportation of goods.  Then the rest of the economy goes.  Then, you are in all-out recession.  The only way out is a redistribution of wealth.  You have to fix the problems that got us into the situation.  The reason we haven't recovered yet is because we haven't yet resolved the problems facing the economy.  That simple.

To further add to my frustration, I already gave these guys 'the answer' to retirement and medicare.  And the beautiful thing is, it would have taken full affect and transition by the time medicare is currently projected to run out of money reserves...
The answer was really simple - you get people to retire on real money and eventually do away with social security except for the disabled.  Social Security is paid for by itself right now anyway.  It's not actually a financial problem.  But trading stocks on the exchange yields 25% retirees?  Not an ungrounded situation..
So you give banks and treasuries capital - in return for higher than inflation interest.  Gets paid for by companies and the individual - either way, you'll have money.  Banks are screwing people out of a lot of money anyway, and CDs used to yield around 4% interest..  and they can still make returns, what with 8% minimal interest on auto loans, 6-10% fixed interest if you're lucky on mortgages, possibly 18% if you're a business needing a loan, and 26% for credit cards.  Yeah, even with all that capital and interest amounts they can still make a lot of money.  But, it guarantees large sums of cash when you retire, it gets pooled if something should happen to both you and the spouse, and it also gives banks the money they need to make loans when it counts - at the start of recessions.  Also, people can now afford to pay for their own health insurance when they retire (which btw health insurance is an unnecessary step if we want something like the Europeans have).  More like 75-80% of people could retire, in under 40 years.  Problem solved.

Education systems have an easy answer to overused and irresponsible lending, we can totally revamp the education system if we wanted.  (It's no wonder to me why Utah is dead last in education)

Healthcare should have been answered back in '93 by the Clinton administration.  Instead, people listened to advertisements from insurance companies about how it was 'a government takeover of healthcare'.  Guess what?  That's exactly what we need.  France is #1 in healthcare, and if you look it up on wikipedia, you'll know it's because costs are controlled by the government, doctors are required to meet standards, training, and best practices or face penalties or dismissal, and they are smart in using a physician-based routing system to decide when to go to the hospital, unless you are having a life-threatening emergency..

What should happen is we should be having a revolution in the political system right now.  What will happen is a lot of us will die off like 'good Christian sacrificial lambs...'
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:10:31 AM by jeremy0 »

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 03:18:29 AM »
I would say, we need to step back and re-evaluate what is actually going on, and how to actually solve these problems before we find ourselves in a mess, rather than after..

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 05:58:01 AM »
I'm ashamed that Americans tolerate this anti-intellectual bullshit. These people should be immediately shouted down by everyone, anywhere, at anytime.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.